Justin Timberlake Should Not Say Others are 'Wannabees' because he is a 'Wannabee' Himself

fanofthethriller

Proud Member
During Justin Timberlakes appearance at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame he said there are 'Wannabees'. I do not understand why he tries to knock others when he is a 'Wannabee' himself. Justin Timberlake is the one of the biggest 'MJ Wannabees' around so what is he talking about? He should take his own advice.

I dont mean to defend JT,but his latest album sounds nothing like a MJ album.

The beats and vocal arrangement are more hip hop style beats and vocals.

Well, what was he doing there? Was he presenting an award to some other recipient? Was he speaking in relation to the person he was honoring?

Now, I aint defending him....cause he CAN say some crazy stuff....like the Grammies used him for ratings. I don't think I've seen him on the Grammies since.

Yeah I will admit that JT has mimicked Michael in the past, especially on his first album, but IMO out of the current MJ "wannabes" he is the only one being artistically unique with his music. He annoys me often in interviews with his cocky attitude and I have yet to see his true musical capabilities, but he is making good career decisions right now and I look forward to seeing what he comes up with next…

During Justin Timberlakes appearance at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame he said there are 'Wannabees'. I do not understand why he tries to knock others when he is a 'Wannabee' himself. Justin Timberlake is the one of the biggest 'MJ Wannabees' around so what is he talking about? He should take his own advice.

I disagree with you on two points:

- first I think this is the wrong forum to post this thread

- second I think Justin Timberlake has found his own style. And yeah sure that's influenced by the music he grew up with.

I'm not sure he gives props to those who have inspired him so that's why I'll better keep this short! lol

didnt he say he has 'dated' alot of those wannabees?

It was a dig at Shitney

not to defend JT.. But USHER does the same crap and much more.. so he as much right as he does..

What is the deal with this board anyways? :huh:
Is it okay to just make hate threads all the time now? Is it fun to just make fun of people all the time? Thank God i dont understand this.
And anyways what he said was a stab at Britney Spears and even tho i didnt agree with what he said he can say whatever he wants to say. Its none of anyones business.

didnt he say he has 'dated' alot of those wannabees?

It was a dig at Shitney

Again, that's a low blow, it shows zero class on his part and proves his not a gentleman at all.
IMO ANYONE who talks trash about their ex in public is scum no matter what.

Again, that's a low blow, it shows zero class on his part and proves his not a gentleman at all.
IMO ANYONE who talks trash about their ex in public is scum no matter what.

So that means Britney too? lol
Cause she did the exact thing.
And i wish some people would stop with this act. Everyone whos anyone has said something bad about an ex in their lives - its just the way things go when ur heart is broken.

Last edited:
Nope, he doesn't sound like mj.

He sounds like MJ with timberland's recycled beats laid on top of it.

He should NOT be talking.

And usher does not copy Justin...LOL Usher was solo before Justin...and ALL of them cats copy MJ.

Last edited:
tell me about it. that guy is so lame and such a loser gosh. i do like some of his songs tho but his voice kinda ruins them for me. his attitude sucks big time. he thinks hes cute and sexy when hes one of the most unattractive guys i've even seen. even in the black snake moan movie when he was supposed to be sexy and all he was gross :puke:

Last edited:
tell me about it. that guy is so lame and such a loser gosh. i do like some of his songs tho but his voice kinda ruins them for me. his attitude sucks big time. he thinks hes cute and sexy when hes one of the most unattractive guys i've even seen. even in the black snake moan movie when he was supposed to be sexy and all he was gross :puke:

Agreed! :p:

everyones a wannabe of someone these days. thats why the industry has been in a mess for years

"There's nothing wrong with being a copycat...so long as you copy the right Cat."

This is the secret to great success and every legend and innovator this planet has been blessed with knew this secret and practiced it:

Thomas Edison
Albert Einstien
Pablo Picasso
Jerry Lee Lewis
Elvis Presley
Quincy Jones
Frank Sinatra
Sammy Davis Jr.
Prince
Michael Jackson

They all did it. They studied the masters of their crafts. They did their homework. They made what they learned their own. And this is why thier work will live (or has lived) long after they are gone.

So I say if loads of people you don't know are calling you a wannabe of one of the greatest entertainers alive, then you must be doing something right.

Off topic: Am I the only one who doesn't think Timberlake sounds like Jackson? He reminds me of Al B. Sure...

Anyway, I doubt Timberlake came up with that on his own. Chances are that speech was written for him. However, whether he wrote it or it was written for him, it's never good to kick someone when they are down or take jabs at people in pain. Especially if that person in pain is someone you once called your lover.

You reap what you sow.

And who knows! He could have been talking about Cameron Diaz!:p

Last edited:
"There's nothing wrong with being a copycat...so long as you copy the right Cat."

This is the secret to great success and every legend and innovator this planet has been blessed with knew this secret and practiced it:

Thomas Edison*
Albert Einstien*
Pablo Picasso*
Jerry Lee Lewis*
Elvis Presley
Quincy Jones*
Frank Sinatra
Sammy Davis Jr.*
Prince*
Michael Jackson*

They all did it. They studied the masters of their crafts. They did their homework. They made what they learned their own. And this is why thier work will live (or has lived) long after they are gone.
yes! this is what i call authenticity vs. originality - they're still geniuses*, but heavily and closely influenced by others before them.

i don't agree with the saying, though. it's not about copying the right cat, but copying them the right way. in a way that makes "what they learned their own" as you say. authentic.

Yes...they are arent they? lol
Its 'okay' to make fun of someone else but not someone they like.
There are a few threads that proove that theory.

And btw vince where are the MJ bashing threads? lol
If you mean on other boards then i guess some of u are just as bad as they are, are u not? :)

nooo..i mean this one. anytime MJ is overcriticized for what he does, the way timberlake is, right now...it's the same thing. u won't see that on a timberlake site. the difference is, MJ gets it on his own site AND other aritsts' sites. it's not ok to defend MJ on a MJ site, but it's ok to defend Timberlake on an MJ site. that's what i'm referring to.

Justin is a jerk. He constantly takes aim at Britney, what a class act, and he acts like he's as talented as Michael or something, meanwhile, the only thing he's MARGINALLY good at his singing. His dancing is god awful, he can't play instruments. If you call playing an instrument minor cord changes on a piano and a guitar that he probably practiced for a couple weeks, then too bad for you, his song writing skills are a varitable joke. He writes ridiculous lyrics and once in a while will come up with 2 bars to a hook, lol. Such a talent. I don't know who he's calling a wanna be when all he is is a sorry, poor man's Michael Jackson. And let's not forget how he so often denies the influence Michael has had on his career. God forbid he should be associated with the one man who has single handedly changed the way the game is done.

Last edited:
nooo..i mean this one. anytime MJ is overcriticized for what he does, the way timberlake is, right now...it's the same thing. u won't see that on a timberlake site. the difference is, MJ gets it on his own site AND other aritsts' sites. it's not ok to defend MJ on a MJ site, but it's ok to defend Timberlake on an MJ site. that's what i'm referring to.

EXACTLY. people don't wanna admit this though. -_-

Justin is a jerk. He constantly takes aim at Britney, what a class act, and he acts like he's as talented as Michael or something, meanwhile, the only thing he's MARGINALLY good at his singing. His dancing is god awful, he can't play instruments. If you call playing an instrument minor cord changes on a piano and a guitar that he probably practiced for a couple weeks, then too bad for you, his song writing skills are a varitable joke. He writes ridiculous lyrics and once in a while will come up with 2 bars to a hook, lol. Such a talent. I don't know who he's calling a wanna be when all he is is a sorry, poor man's Michael Jackson. And let's not forget how he so often denies the influence Michael has had on his career. God forbid he should be associated with the one man who has single handedly changed the way the game is done.

Gah! I love your post...my feelings toward Justin are, well very, not of the highest regard (putting it VERY lightly) There are many aspects about JT i feel are hallow, vapid...no meat to his person, ya know? When I look at him or hear his music on the radio there is something just not quite right. He has tried to distance himself from the MJ wannabe vibe in recent years IMO. Perhaps he will get deeper as an artist as he gets older, and gain a little more class about himself instead of making "...I may have dated a few" type of comments. Why go there?

Perhaps he will get deeper as an artist as he gets older, and gain a little more class about himself instead of making "...I may have dated a few" type of comments. Why go there?

Because he can? lol
Its none of anyones business what he says or does. If he wants to go onstage and bash her hes entitled to do it and he dosent have to answer to anyone.

Because he can? lol
Its none of anyones business what he says or does. If he wants to go onstage and bash her hes entitled to do it and he dosent have to answer to anyone.

so ur saying it's ok...because he can...but it's not ok for other people to do it?

Because he can? lol

Just because You CAN doesn't mean it is appropriate...people say a whole bunch of crap about MJ because they can. It doesn't mean I have to like it, which I don't, so I will state my opinion on the matter. As he was in a public arena when making the statement...it is somebodies business. And true he is entitled to his own choices, I just don't like this particular one.

so ur saying it's ok...because he can...but it's not ok for other people to do it?

When did i say it wasnt okay for other people? lol

Just because You CAN doesn't mean it is appropriate...people say a whole bunch of crap about MJ because they can. It doesn't mean I have to like it, which I don't, so I will state my opinion on the matter. As he was in a public arena when making the statement...it is somebodies business. And true he is entitled to his own choices, I just don't like this particular one.

Newsflash. Not everything is about MJ.
This is about Justin Timberlake and yes he can say whatever he wants to say just like Britney did in Chaotic.
Peoples opinions on what he says is irrevelant. I personally thought it was funny. Thats what it was meant to be. Some people just take things wayyyy too seriously. Its funny cause people criticize Britney all the time but when he does it its like :eek: How dare he? lmao.

Its okay to defend whoever u wanna defend.
But its not okay to just drag someones name down just for the sake of doing it. Like i said there have been several threads on this lately.

No ones DRAGGING anyone's name through the mud. There are plenty of people on this forum that like JT's music. Just like u can express ur opinion of thinking he's the best thing since MJ and James Brown combined....we can express our opinion about him being a copycat and arrogant. And its annoying to some people.

Anyways....lol
I thought the way Madonna handled her speech was amazing. Shes cool as hell.
Justin is one in a million and totally talented in every sense of the word. I love his attitude and the way he handles himself.

Back