If you like.... then you'll probably also like....

L.J

Proud Member
Hi Hi ^_^

I thought of this great thread idea yesterday whilst I was browsing through the music shops in Melbourne.

There's certain artists and/or music that I like, but I don't know enough about that particular genre to find other artists or music that I would also like just as much.

and you know we all do it "Oh if you like.... then you'll probably like...... or you should check out.... as well"

So I thought we could help each other out :flowers:

So I really like the music from the movie Gladiator in particular the woman who sang whilst the gladiator character was walking through the wheatfields.

I know one song was by Enya - "Now We Are Free"

So can someone help me out :) If I liked this kinda of music... who else is similar? who would you reccommend? :cool:

cool thread. trying to think of someone similar to Enya... but can't find right now...

I also loved the music that I heard in the film: Rendition (with Meryl streep, Reese Witherspoon, Jake Gylnhall) particuarly when they were in Egypt etc
Sounded native to Egypt though I could be wrong, this is what I could find in regards to the tracks heard on the movie's soundtrack:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0804522/soundtrack

Thoughts and reccommendations? :)

Thanks to anyone who has an idea :flowers:

Hi Hi ^_^

I thought of this great thread idea yesterday whilst I was browsing through the music shops in Melbourne.

There's certain artists and/or music that I like, but I don't know enough about that particular genre to find other artists or music that I would also like just as much.

and you know we all do it "Oh if you like.... then you'll probably like...... or you should check out.... as well"

So I thought we could help each other out :flowers:

So I really like the music from the movie Gladiator in particular the woman who sang whilst the gladiator character was walking through the wheatfields.

I know one song was by Enya - "Now We Are Free"

So can someone help me out :) If I liked this kinda of music... who else is similar? who would you reccommend? :cool:

Enya is very cool...I like her music...

Last edited:
she is very original indeed... so maybe that's why it's hard to find someone similar :)

anyone can give me something similar to Placebo, The Fray, Evanescence, The Corrs? Those are my absolute favorites... Next to Michael,of course but it is silly to search for some1 similar to him lol.

Hi L.J.

The woman who composed and performed for the gladiator score is the extremely talented Lisa Gerrard.

"Now we are free" was her, not Enya.

Originally Gerrard was in a group called Dead Can Dance. Their stuff is more sort of.. tribal.. so unique it's hard to describe. But worth checking out along with her solo and collaborative albums!

One of my favourite songs of hers is Sanvean. It really shows the drowning emotional power she is capable of, there is so much in there. This one is haunting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xpkRj99FH0

Last edited:
last.fm is notorious for finding like sounds....

if you pick any act, they'll search for similar sounds...

http://www.last.fm/music/openbookquestionmark

i love enya....and i found something that sounds spacey..

i don't know if i'd describe enya as spacey, but i can't think of a better word..lol...besides that link i'm sure there are others...

Hi L.J.

The woman who composed and performed for the gladiator score is the extremely talented Lisa Gerrard.

"Now we are free" was her, not Enya.

Originally Gerrard was in a group called Dead Can Dance. Their stuff is more sort of.. tribal.. so unique it's hard to describe. But worth checking out along with her solo and collaborative albums!

One of my favourite songs of hers is Sanvean. It really shows the drowning emotional power she is capable of, there is so much in there. This one is haunting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xpkRj99FH0

oh wow thankyou so much :flowers:

when I was looking up the gladiator soundtrack it did mention her name alongside Hans Zimmerman but I think wikipedia mentioned enya

thanks for the clarification and I really like her sound ^_^

oh I just listened/watched that clip!!! that's what I'm looking for!!!! :)

I love this kind of music and wouldn't know what to class it as or who else sounds similar

Thankyou so much :flowers: I'll look for these at the music store :)

You're welcome. It's a pleasure to share your good taste. :)

I wish I knew more artists of this sort myself.

You could try some Celtic stuff like Loreena McKennitt or Secret Garden which I think is classed as New Age. Their music is also quite beautiful. Not like "Now We Are Free" though, something special there.

Might be better to look at other movie soundtracks in the genre and their composers, particularly Hans Zimmer as you mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.J
oh awesome :)

Thankyou so much ^_^

I love exploring new music :) it's always exciting to find a new artist or group :)

I kinda like anything with a good bass hook. Something I can turn up real loud and blow up my speakers with lol I mean some examples:

Cake- Short Skirt, Long Jacket or No Phone
Aaliyah- Are You That Somebody
Tupac- California Love
MJ- Billie Jean of course, Gangsta, Who Is It
Outkast- Prototype (slow song)
Eurythmics- Sweet Dreams

That's just a few. I like any type of music though. got any suggestions?

Last edited:
If you like:

Duran Duran, you'd probably enjoy Japan(an 80s pop band)
Radiohead, you'd probably enjoy Marillion
U2, you'd probably enjoy REM
Queen, you'd probably enjoy Muse

Lately I've been getting into 80s British bands namely The Cure and the Stone Roses. If I like that sort of music, what other bands would you recommend?

I dunno why but The Cure always makes me think of Pink Floyd for some reason

shipoffools you were saying that if you like " Queen, you'd probably enjoy Muse"

I'd say also The Darkness :yes:

I'm already somewhat into Pink Floyd. I've got Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. Any other albums I should get?

I've just noticed, The Cure, Stone Roses, Pink Floyd, the Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Queen, Radiohead... most of my music collection if British bands. So perhaps my question should be, are there any great British bands I'm missing out on (bands that I haven't listed)?

I'm already somewhat into Pink Floyd. I've got Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. Any other albums I should get?

I've just noticed, The Cure, Stone Roses, Pink Floyd, the Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Queen, Radiohead... most of my music collection if British bands. So perhaps my question should be, are there any great British bands I'm missing out on (bands that I haven't listed)?

Marillion are a British band, and they're excellent. I would recommend picking up anything by them.

Here are a few songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbG5N4EfDc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjj95GDleyE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1lJeSgZcY

Back