Rebbie Jackson's 2001 Free Vegas Shows

jaorecords

Proud Member
Country
United-States
I was just wondering if anyone else on this thread ever went to see Rebbie Jackson when she was playing free in the lounge of the old castaways hotel in Las Vegas in the summer of 2001?

I went to a bunch of the shows and they were always a blast. I got to meet Rebbie on numerous occasions along with her husband, her son Oggie, her band and other people in her entourage.

A few of the times I went there were some famous people in the lounge to see the show including Martha Reeves, Katherine, Latoya, and Janet (whom I missed that show sadly). My favourite one was when Jermaine came to the show and was coaxed into joining her onstage during "I'll Be There". I'll never forget the pants he wore....they were 90's jeans with colorful words all over them. The words were all Jermaine Jackson songs....I remember "Don't Take It Personal" being one of them. This took place about a month before the 30th Anniversary concert in New York.

The songs that she performed included "2300 Jackson Street", "Plaything", "Once In A Lifetime", "Shake Your Body", "Fever", "Home" (from the Wiz) and she always finished with "Centipede". She always had Oggie come on at one point to dance I remember. One thing that always bugged me was during "Shake Your Body" when everyone on the stage starts doing that dance the Jacksons did at Motown 25 and Rebbie never turned on the parts she was supposed to like everyone else on stage did and it always threw off the momentum.

I talked to Oggie at the first show after they got back from New York for the 30th Anniversary specials and asked him if MJ had played them INVINCIBLE (which was not going to be out for like 3 weeks at that time) and he said yes and I asked him how cool "Unbreakable" was (which I had heard a lot of buzz about around that time) and he said it was tight....or at least something like that....I can't remember exactly as it's been almost 7 years.

The show ended soon after that and the castaways is now demolished but I always think back to those days whenever I see someone mention Rebbie and how lucky I was to be able to witness those amazing free shows.

Back