The Republic of Australia?

Bob George

Proud Member
Pretty much since the federation of Australia, people have been pushing for Australia to gain independence from the British monarch and become a republic (a country not led by a monarch). Which means a president would replace the Queen as the head of state.

As Australians older than about 18 might remember, there was a referendum in 1999 which was a nation-wide vote on if Australia should become a republic. Obviously the majority vote was 'No'. But since the Australian Labor Party took over Government at the end of last year with Kevin Rudd as their leader, the possibility of Australia becoming a republic has been brought up again. Although Rudd said becoming a republic was inevitable in the country's future, he also said there likely wont be any action towards the republicanism of Australia during his first term.

A poll published last year by The Australian newspaper showed that 45% of Australians favour or partly favour Australia becoming a republic, with 36% opposed and 19% uncommitted. The reasons why those 36% still oppose republicanism and why the 1999 referendum failed aren't exactly clear. But it seems most Australians would prefer to stay under the monarch while Queen Elizabeth II reigns. However, once she dies and Prince Charles becomes King, it's very likely, due to his unpopularity become of his unfaithfulness to Diana, that Australians will want to become independent of the British monarch.

So this question is not necessarily just for Australians, but for everyone interested, do you think Australia would be better off as a republic? And would your opinion change if Queen Elizabeth II died/renounced her throne and Prince Charles became king?

Last edited:
The Queen's inflence over the Commonwealth countries is only symbolic. But either way, Id think Australia should become a Republic. Why should the native Australians have to call Elizabeth their Queen? I just am not too sure about the whole concept of the Commonwealth of Nations, it symbollically anyways is a continuation of the British Empire.

Last edited:
If America never separated from the British Empire, the Commonwealth of Nations today could be a very powerful thing that any country would want to be a part of. But since the world sort of changed course when America became an independent republic, I think the Commonwealth of Nations is not an important thing and independence is more important than remaining under the British monarch.

As Rocky said it's really only symbolic

I personally don't see the need for the move to a republic, but at the same time I wouldn't be too concerned if we took that turn.

Australia is completely independant anyway really, and I can't imagine the monarchy getting involved in australian politics :lol:

dont see why anyone would want someone as head of state when they have so little to do with the country.let alone the undemocraticness of it all. ppl probably prefer the devil they know than the devil they dont

I always fail to understand why Australia is not an independant state anyway,

Given how Britian has lost its identity there surely is no benefit being a part of it these days,

Just my opinion,

I recently came across some really good flag designs for a new Australian flag if and when Australia becomes a Republic, or even if it doesn't. So instead of starting a new thread, I remembered about this old thread and thought I'd add it here. There's been a long and winding flag debate going on in Australia for many years and here's a little run down....

This is currently the flag of the Australia. It was officially recognised as our national flag in 1953. Previous to that it was used by the Commonwealth government but a red ensign flag was used by the state and local governments, private organisations and citizens.

The Australian flag has strong ties to our British heritage. The Union Jack, of course, being the flag of the United Kingdom and an ensign used by most Commonwealth nations. And it's precisely because of this that a lot of Australians want a new flag. Many feel we need a flag that is more unique, gives us a sense of independence and pride for our own country rather than mother England. And with Republicanism being a big issue in Australia, there may be a need for a new flag if and when Australia becomes a Republic.

There have been many suggestions made and competitions held to find an alternative flag. The main objective for most flag designers being to replace or remove the Union Jack. A simple solution is to replace the Union Jack with the Federation Star:

A popular suggestion has been to replace the Union Jack with the Aboriginal Flag:

Here is Sam Neill in the movie Event Horizon wearing an Aboriginal-ensign Australian flag on his sleeve:

353miller.jpg

But this design has drawn a lot of criticism. First of all, it's not an aesthetically good design. Harold Thomas, the designer of the Aboriginal Flag has objected to this flag saying the Aboriginal flag shouldn't be placed as an adjunct to any other thing.

So some designed have been made which use incorporate elements of our current flag and the Aboriginal flag rather than just placing them side by side as they are. This is a design called the "Sunburnt Flag":

These two versions of the "Reconciliation Flag" were designed by Brendan Jones:

Here is the first version of the "Reconciliation Flag" on a flag pole:

aus-1.jpg

I personally love both of these designs. They are very aesthetically pleasing and they incorporate the current Australian flag and elements of the Aboriginal flag well. I prefer the second design. But I would definitely vote for either of these two in a referendum.

There is also an organisation called Ausflag who have campaigned for a new Australian flag and have held competitions to find the best designs for a new Australian flag.

What do you think of the necessity of a new flag for Australia? Have you seen any designs you like?

I honestly don't know if Australia would be better off as a republic - it's not like it would impact on the betterment of society, the economy or anything like that since Australia is already de facto independent? The biggest impact - I imagine - would be changes in the legislature - having to change the constitution? And the head of state would be someone other than the queen - probably someone most people outside Australia has never heard of.

I honestly don't know if Australia would be better off as a republic - it's not like it would impact on the betterment of society, the economy or anything like that since Australia is already de facto independent? The biggest impact - I imagine - would be changes in the legislature - having to change the constitution? And the head of state would be someone other than the queen - probably someone most people outside Australia has never heard of.

I think it would effect Australian society positively, if even momentarily after we become a Republic, to know we are truly independent. Also, about the head of state, I think most Australians would greatly appreciate having an Australian head of state. And as for changing our constitution, that's something we desperately need to do. We need to adopt a bill of rights into our constitution. We don't even have a constitutional right to freedom of speech. That's why so many video games get banned or modified in Australia. I think we desperately need a bill of rights.

I like some of those new designs... don't like the one with the aboriginal flag just replacing the union jack... reeks of a lack of creativity and thought, whereas the others have had a design and thought process put into them.

I actually like this one:
sunburnt_flag_thumb.png

I love the Southern Cross

I think it would effect Australian society positively, if even momentarily after we become a Republic, to know we are truly independent. Also, about the head of state, I think most Australians would greatly appreciate having an Australian head of state. And as for changing our constitution, that's something we desperately need to do. We need to adopt a bill of rights into our constitution. We don't even have a constitutional right to freedom of speech. That's why so many video games get banned or modified in Australia. I think we desperately need a bill of rights.

Then it totally makes sense then, especially with regards to the constitution since changing it will have a lasting impact. Anything that has a real impact is of more importance than something that will quickly fade away and I think any possible republic related euphoria and appreciation for a different head of state will fairly quickly disappear.

In changing the constitution to accommodate the move from Commonwealth country to Republic, will that necessarily mean a Bill or Rights will be added? Is their anything in the current constitution stopping Australia from adopting a Bill or Rights? Are these two processes related? I'm just asking since I don't know nearly enough about Australia, which is why I said I don't know the answer to the topic question lol

In changing the constitution to accommodate the move from Commonwealth country to Republic, will that necessarily mean a Bill or Rights will be added? Is their anything in the current constitution stopping Australia from adopting a Bill or Rights? Are these two processes related? I'm just asking since I don't know nearly enough about Australia, which is why I said I don't know the answer to the topic question lol
Becoming a Republic would not necessarily mean we will have a Bill or Rights but it would be an opportunity for Australia to create a Bill of Rights. There's nothing in the constitution that says we can't have a Bill or Right. Like in the US constitution, the Bill of Rights would be amended to the constitution and there's nothing in our constitution prevent amendments.

Becoming a Republic would not necessarily mean we will have a Bill or Rights but it would be an opportunity for Australia to create a Bill of Rights. There's nothing in the constitution that says we can't have a Bill or Right. Like in the US constitution, the Bill of Rights would be amended to the constitution and there's nothing in our constitution prevent amendments.

Thank you for the info:)

That would mean the changes to the constitution brought on by a republican system will not necessarily address problems like freedom of speech. So it doesn't really matter one way or another. But I think if the people want a republic they should have it. They don't need a reason. I just think republics are boring lol, we all want what we don't have:)

That would mean the changes to the constitution brought on by a republican system will not necessarily address problems like freedom of speech. So it doesn't really matter one way or another. But I think if the people want a republic they should have it. They don't need a reason. I just think republics are boring lol, we all want what we don't have:)
Why are Republics boring? lol. IMO a Republic is the best form of government. Parliamentary Republic. We just haven't thought of a system better than that yet.

Why are Republics boring? lol. IMO a Republic is the best form of government. Parliamentary Republic. We just haven't thought of a system better than that yet.

I'm just a sucker for the royal fanfare and sentiment lol. Republican fanfare (the little that there is) just isn't the same - the magic is gone:cheeky:. I don't necessarily think there's a difference between a republic and a constitutional monarchy when it comes to government - both are in reality run by the parliament and neither is more or less prone to good/bad governance, corruption or wasteful expenditure than the other. The monarchy just provides a much more glamorous head of state, ceremony and historical sentiment that republics usually can't match:D

Back