When did Janet become an Icon

..when it was more favorable to be a fan of hers and not Michaels's

Janet Michael.
f_erm.gif
f_erm.gif
f_erm.gif

i'd say The Velvet Rope was the icing on that icon cake.

I think Janet's body of work speaks for it self, and I really don't know what Michael has to do with anything besides the name, so what you heard of her because she's Michael's sister , because at the end of the day Michael didn't write her songs, produce her albums, or anything so I give credited where credit is due, and at the end of the day I am not fan of Janet because she's Michaels' little sister, it's sad that some Michael fans are still saying that crap. If you don't know by now than you don't get it.
and
no it has nothing to do with because it's or was acceptable to like Janet I think her material especially her pervious material spoke to alot of peopel she was singging about real issues, like , education, domestic violence, depression, homophobiea,HIV/AIDS some issues Michael hasn't even touched. so I think just alot of people just releated to her material
no her videos aren't on the level of thriller but they are decnet no the less, and she did deserve the Icon adward in 2001

Last edited:
I think Janet's body of work speaks for it self, and I really don't know what Michael has to do with anything besides the name, so what you heard of her because she's Michael's sister , because at the end of the day Michael didn't write her songs, produce her albums, or anything so I give credited where credit is due, and at the end of the day I am not fan of Janet because she's Michaels' little sister, it's sad that some Michael fans are still saying that crap. If you don't know by now than you don't get it.
and
no it has nothing to do with because it's or was acceptable to like Janet I think her material especially her pervious material spoke to alot of peopel she was singging about real issues, like , education, domestic violence, depression, homophobiea,HIV/AIDS some issues Michael hasn't even touched. so I think just alot of people just releated to her material
no her videos aren't on the level of thriller but they are decnet no the less, and she did deserve the Icon adward in 2001

It's no sadder than plenty Janet fans calling Michael a host of ugly names and proping her up to make her seem bigger and better than her brother and brothers who certainly paved the way for her and for many of Janet's fans to deny that is ludicrous!

I would say this is a significant moment in Janets career.

Janet solo dancing, singing... its legendary!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A-cOZ3zwnqs

^_^:wub:^_^:wub:^_^:wub:^_^:wub:

I remember watching that on BET about 4 years ago. One of my favorite Janet videos! Anyway, I think she became an icon during the "Control" era, probably 1987. It was her first smash hit. Her first 2 albums "Janet Jackson" & "Dream Street" didn't sell well. Neither have her 2 most recent albums, but...I think "Rhythm Nation 1814" made her become an even bigger superstar & then, "Janet." & the film "Poetic Justice" made her a megastar!

Last edited:
she went international with the janet album so i guess then if u wanna pick a time

When she was born :lol:

I know right? Uh she's The Jackson 5's littlest sister.

lol

But seriously--what happened to girls just wearing a t-shirt and jeans in a video anymore and just dancing it out! Simple concept--now they're all butt naked or all dolled up with perfect hair and perfect outfits and perfect makeup--that's what I like about this video and some of her other early videos--so raw!

Last edited:
Never, she's a great superstar but Icons are Madonna and Mike.

I agree, but I would'nt say the Icons are Madonna and Mike, but Mike and Madonna ;)

Even though I feel Madonna is overrated, she is an Icon as she's changed how women performers project themselves in music. I don't think Janet has changed are anything in music at all. I think Janet has made some great songs and is a great live performer (I saw her Velvet Rope Tour in 1998, I was very impressed). She's talented and a superstar, but not a true Icon. I think the Icon thing is ironically giving to her by MTV (as some sort of dig at Michael) who've often called her an Icon just for being very successful mainly in the USA. But I feel people only refer to her as an Icon also because she's Michael Jackson's sister and became a success in her own right. Can't think of any Janet Jackson songs that have dominated the charts and airwaves that people still talk about today. I mean she's not even as important musically as younger women pop stars like Beyonce and Christina Aguliera, and Britney Spears who've had much bigger and iconic hit singles than Janet Jackson. Which is why I feel the level of respect Janet has is because she's the sister of Michael Jackson, and the Jackson family are Icons also because of the Jackson 5/Jacksons.

I very much agree. The entire Jackson family are an iconic family and as such, she would be also, but in her own right she has done nothing more than other popstars have done at their peek. I would say Britney is more iconic than janet, and I am not ready to call Britney an Icon yet. I also think that true Icons do have contraversal lives, not one created by them but one that they cannot avoid.
Princess Diana was an icon and a most contraversial figure who almost briought down the royal family. Maaddona, Britney, The Kennedy's, The Jackson's, Michael Jackson. Mohammed Ali, Nelson Mandela.
You need contraversy to become iconic. Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Jessie Jackson. Icons are contrversial figures. Janet is too safe to be an icon.

Last edited:
The Beatles as a group were contraversal. They were part of the Hyppie movement and they were into drugs and sex and ari krishna. That got them talked about. John Lennon was known for staying in bed butt naked with his wife, and for peace. Elvis was contraversal at the start of his career cause he was singing rnr to the dismay of middle america.
You need to step out of the box to be an icon. It is not enough to sing some catchy songs. Bob Marley was an icon, not just for his songs but he will be remembered for bringing the 2 political rivals together to shake hands on the stage of his concert at a time when their supporters were shooting each other.
If making a few successful albums was what makes you an icon then every popstar would be an icon. Janets life is too bland and safe to be an icon for anybody.
Janet may be an MTV icon, but MTV does not an ICON make.

Last edited:
I very much agree. The entire Jackson family are an iconic family and as such, she would be also, but in her own right she has done nothing more than other popstars have done at their peek. I would say Britney is more iconic than janet, and I am not ready to call Britney an Icon yet. I also think that true Icons do have contraversal lives, not one created by them but one that they cannot avoid.
Princess Diana was an icon and a most contraversial figure who almost briought down the royal family. Maaddona, Britney, The Kennedy's, The Jackson's, Michael Jackson. Mohammed Ali, Nelson Mandela.
You need contraversy to become iconic. Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Jessie Jackson. Icons are contrversial figures. Janet is too safe to be an icon.

Whoa, Britney is more iconic than Janet? I don't know about that one. I think that's a bit of a stretch. I'm not a big Janet Jackson fan at all, but she is a star in her own right and is definitely an icon. The MJ fans and others who believe that she's only gotten where she is because of her last name are just plain wrong. Sure, she is not on Michael or Madonna's level but she is still a star in her own right but honestly, neither Madge or Mike have anything to do with this so I don't know why they were brought into the discussion in the first place.

To answer the question though, i'd say that Janet became an icon during the whole "Rhythm Nation" era. The album, the video's-everything about that era was groundbreaking.

Whoa, Britney is more iconic than Janet? I don't know about that one. I think that's a bit of a stretch. I'm not a big Janet Jackson fan at all, but she is a star in her own right and is definitely an icon. The MJ fans and others who believe that she's only gotten where she is because of her last name are just plain wrong. Sure, she is not on Michael or Madonna's level but she is still a star in her own right but honestly, neither Madge or Mike have anything to do with this so I don't know why they were brought into the discussion in the first place.

To answer the question though, i'd say that Janet became an icon during the whole "Rhythm Nation" era. The album, the video's-everything about that era was groundbreaking.
I never disputed Janets star power. She has been big in the pass, but I stated clearly that making hit records is not enough to make you an icon. All present and former icons have had a history of struggle and controversy. Being outside the box so to speak. You don't have to have a hit record to be an icon, but you don't necessarily become one by having hit records. Janet has done nothing to get that status. Yes, Britney will be an icon very soon. People will identify with her struggles. They see her as a victim. Many hate her for who she is and many love her for her naivity. She is contraversial. That is what Janet is lacking. Her desire to play it safe has taken that from her.
Even when janet tries to be contraversal it has no impact. Nobody is talking about her. They talk about Madonna, Britney, Michael. They are not talking about Janet. Nobody cares that she strips naked in a magazine.
People need to be interested in you for you to become an icon. Janet is too bland and boring and uncontraversal.. Yes, she is a superstar, but not an icon. J5 are icons. Joe Jackson is an icon. Yep, contraversial figure who is loved and hated equally. The Jackson family is music icon. But janet, on her own, NO.

Last edited:

kudos on every point you made - i'm not a big fan either (The Velvet Rope is my favourite album of hers and i'd put it in my top 20 pop albums of all time) - but it would be very misinformed to honestly deny her the right praise in Pop history.

Janet IS an Icon..

Just because she has not reached the hights as Michael Jackson, does not make her any less of an Icon..

Her stamp on music and culture as we know it is huge.. Many female artists today fallow the footstelps of Janet.

p.s. Britney is know where near what Janet is.. Janet has accomplished and has done more than Britney ever has.. Janet has beaten some great world records.. Even some of Mikes.

P.S. #2.. MIKE AGREES WITH ME :p
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fAB3r2boGwU

Back