New Vitaligo Treatment Study

eternitys_child

Proud Member
This would be awesome for people effected by vitaligo. They would be able to go out in the sun again without having to cover themselves. Their skin would be an even tone. I hope this comes true.

http://www.themercury.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=4317254

Pepper may help disfiguring skin condition

March 24, 2008 Edition 1

LONDON: Black pepper could lead to better treatments for a disfiguring skin condition that affects about 1% of the world's population, British researchers have found.
A team at King's College London showed in a study of mice that piperine - the compound that gives black pepper its spicy, pungent flavour - and its synthetic derivatives helped stimulate pigmentation in the skin of people with vitiligo.
Piperine was particularly effective when combined with phototherapy treatment using ultraviolet radiation, the researchers said in a study to be published in the British Journal of Dermatology.
"We have shown that topical treatment with piperine stimulates even pigmentation in the skin," Antony Young, a photobiologist at King's College who worked on the study, said.
"This provides support for the future clinical evaluation of piperine and its derivatives as novel treatments for vitiligo."

The disease, to which pop star Michael Jackson has in the past attributed his gradual skin whitening, destroys the melanin which gives skin its colour. Melanin protects from ultraviolet rays, so victims run a much higher risk of skin cancer.
Vitiligo was of particular concern in people with darker skins, the researchers said.
Treatments include steroids applied to patchy skin and phototherapy. But many people did not respond to hormones and phototherapy could raise the risk of skin cancer, the researchers said.
The team compared the effects of piperine and its derivatives when applied to the skin of mice either alone or followed by radiation treatment.
They found that when used alone the compounds stimulated pigmentation to an even, light brown colour within six weeks. When boosted by radiation, the treatment led to even darker skin in about the same period of time. - Reuters

That's really interesting. I wonder how they found out that pepper helps vitiligo?

Thanks for posting. :)

Last edited:
interesting... I think Mike should give it a try
If it proves out, yes. It sounds promising. IMHO it would be wonderful for him to be able to go out in the sun again and to have something close to his natural color back.

radiation treatment/possible skin cancer in order to gain back your even skin tone ?? mmmm this may just be a personal opinion, however, i think i would stay patchy ;)

it is nice to know they are actually researching and developing new treatments :)

radiation treatment/possible skin cancer in order to gain back your even skin tone ?? mmmm this may just be a personal opinion, however, i think i would stay patchy ;)

it is nice to know they are actually researching and developing new treatments :)
Yes. That is what I thought when I first learned that a while back. There really are no good options so far. 1% of the worlds population is a lot. I didn't know it was that many. This would be a great breakthrough if just a topically applied extract could work as a cure.

as much as I LERV having my tanned leathery skin year round ... if I was to get Vitiligo, I would gladly remain pale and patchy **snap snap** over radiation/skin cancer ... Call me Kraaazy :D

For some reason the natural sunlight/tanning booths skerr me less than radiation treatment ;)

Last edited:
If it proves out, yes. It sounds promising. IMHO it would be wonderful for him to be able to go out in the sun again and to have something close to his natural color back.
That would be great for Michael, to have more freedom to go outside more often etc. Great for everyone whose life is limited due to the sunlight attacking the delicate skin.

as much as I LERV having my tanned leathery skin year round ... if I was to get Vitiligo, I would gladly remain pale and patchy **snap snap** over radiation/skin cancer ... Call me Kraaazy :D

For some reason the natural sunlight/tanning booths skerr me less than radiation treatment ;)
I have a Michael confession. I always thought that if I were to get a day to share with Michael I would want take him and his kids hiking to my favorite spots but then I realize how hard it would be for him to do something like that and feel bad for him. Being outside where there is natural beauty has given me some of my most enjoyable times and I would like to think Michael could do that too. Maybe he does but just all wrapped up and he has perhaps seen even more beautiful natural places than I have but it just seems that it would be so hard: to not be able to go outside and enjoy it freely.

i know right !!

I would go absolutely bonkers if i could not enjoy the open air on the beach ... to go running through the sand and into the blue water and dive in ... if I was ever get a chance to be with michael on a personal level, i would find his azz a wet suit to wear so that we could do that together :yes:

Man, that would be awesome if it actually turned out to work. If it did, it would be amazing for Michael an everyone else who sufferes from it. Michael especially since it's so extensive with him.

I have a Michael confession. I always thought that if I were to get a day to share with Michael I would want take him and his kids hiking to my favorite spots but then I realize how hard it would be for him to do something like that and feel bad for him. Being outside where there is natural beauty has given me some of my most enjoyable times and I would like to think Michael could do that too. Maybe he does but just all wrapped up and he has perhaps seen even more beautiful natural places than I have but it just seems that it would be so hard: to not be able to go outside and enjoy it freely.

The sad part about that is, Michael loves nature, obviously, and he loves being outside. But he can't be because of his skin condition. I always thought for someone like him, it was a particularly cruel disorder to have.

Pepper?? who would have thought..

next tabloide story..

"Michael Jackson sleeps in Pepper made blankets" lol!

You linked a video that there is (by itself) nothing wrong with and what does it have to do with the vitaligo research?

Some people just won't believe Michael has vitiligo, even thought it's been beyond proven. It's been confirmed by Michael, by his ex-wife and dermitalogists nurse, Debbie Rowe, it's been confirmed by court documents, it's been confirmed by Michael's dermitalogist, it's been confirmed by the obvious uneven patches of skin tone still left on Michael. But no matter how much of this you show to people like this guy Scorpio, they'll never believe it because they choose not to. It's not even a matter of beliefe, it's a fact that Michael has vitiligo. But whatever. It's really no use in trying with people like that.

I'll have to email this to my cousin. Thanks for posting. I hope it works.

oh great ,hope this will work out then ,
pepper hmm .

Last edited:
I was hoping you would read his long essay about how Mj lies about his skin desease and make a comments to shut him up.:)
Oh. Okay. I was on my way out and didn't really take any time to try to figure out what you were talking about. I don't think I am a You Tube member so depends on how I would have to access him if I can 'get at him' or not. I thought he had edited in some negative comment in the video or something, but there was none.

Last edited:
The problem with people like that is what I said above. He's wrong, he's just plainly and factually wrong, but no matter what you say to him or how much evidence you show him to prove that he's wrong, he won't listen simply because he's chosen not to. I wouldn't even waste my time, honestly. Anyone with half a brain knows Michael suffers from vitiligo. It's not even up for specualtion. He's even given money to vitiligo foundations in the past with the request that his name not be brought up. That's how Michael is. He gives money and donates without ever letting anyone know. Because he actually cares.

There is no reason for Jackson to risk his life with getting the most dangerous and lethal form of cancer (skin cancer) for the sake of *temporary* return of the pigment.

Even steroids plus UV "cure" work only for limited quantity of people (not fact by far that Michael would have any actual effect at all) and even then the effect may last for mere few years, after which "patches" return.

So no,Jackson, please never try any steroids (which are dangerous in their own way) and UV treatment. Use of pepper without UV is by far not effective yet, so for Michael this new idea should not be of actual interest yet.

Last edited:
Here is another reference the 'pepper' research.

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/business-1/1207767251271230.xml&storylist=orlocal

OHSU, company work to treat vitiligo
4/9/2008, 11:47 a.m. PDT
The Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Oregon Health & Science University is working with a pharmaceutical company to develop a topical agent to treat vitiligo (vit-ih-LI'-go) , a skin pigmentation disorder.

Millions of people worldwide have the disorder. It became better known in the early 1990s when Michael Jackson said it was behind his skin turning from brown to white.

The disease is characterized by the loss of pigment in patches. It is neither life-threatening nor contagious but can cause distress.

OHSU owns the patents to a family of compounds derived from black pepper extract and has licensed them to AdPharma Inc. The compounds have shown potential in animal studies to be effective in treating vitiligo.

© 2008 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Back