Victory LP - Info HELP

Aeneiden

Proud Member
As we all know there are 2 different versions of this LP. The 1st released with a dove on Randy's shoulder on the cover and the second one without. And back on MJNO I was told by someone (don't remember who), that the one with the dove is much more rare.

So my q is does any1 know how rare?? Does any1 know how many copies of it exists?

http://cgi.ebay.com/michael-jackson...ZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122#ebayphotohosting

The dove was on the picture disc version, and also the poster that was out at the time.

I have that picture disc album. It has a dove on Randy, I never knew it was that rare.... cool!

Now you know. Maybe its worth a bit of money I would look into that if I were you ;)

Last edited:
I have that picture disc album. It has a dove on Randy, I never knew it was that rare.... cool!

It's not as rare as the Goin' Places picture disc. It has the front album cover on side 1 and a picture of a baseball stadium on the other side. I have the Victory picture disc. I saw the Goin' Places in a used record store in the 80s. That was the only time I ever seen it.

from the auction text:
the dove was removed because the rspca complained that everyone would want a dove which was how popular michael and the jacksons were at the time and epic agreed so removed the dove from the cover and destroyed the covers but a very limited number survived.

hm.. the story i read was that it was planned to release a bunch of doves at all the concerts... but the plan was skipped after a few shows ...and so was the dove removed from the cover.

neither story is really convincing to me tho... :D
why do they go through the expensive prozess of changing a cover
of a record thats already in press. hmm..

from the auction text:

hm.. the story i read was that it was planned to release a bunch of doves at all the concerts... but the plan was skipped after a few shows ...and so was the dove removed from the cover.

neither story is really convincing to me tho... :D
why do they go through the expensive prozess of changing a cover
of a record thats already in press. hmm..
Well, The Beatles had to change the "Butcher Babies" cover. These are really rare and expensive. Anyone who has one is pretty lucky, especially if it doesn't have the replacement cover glued on top of it. As far as doves, what about Prince? Doves has always been one of his themes. Also Prince made a record called The Black Album in 1988. It was printed and ready to ship out, when he changed his mind about releasing it. The copies were smashed. Of course some employees of the pressing plant snuck some of the records out and sold them for hundreds of dollars. The album was finally officially released in 1994. Also Bon Jovi changed the Slippery When Wet album cover, and Guns & Roses "Appetite For Destruction" album cover has been changed. MJ's cover for "Off The Wall" was changed on CD. Early versions of the CD were like the album cover, but later versions only had the feet and glowing socks

Last edited:
Well, The Beatles had to change the "Butcher Babies" cover. These are really rare and expensive. Anyone who has one is pretty lucky, especially if it doesn't have the replacement cover glued on top of it. As far as doves, what about Prince? Doves has always been one of his themes. Also Prince made a record called The Black Album in 1988. It was printed and ready to ship out, when he changed his mind about releasing it. The copies were smashed. Of course some employees of the pressing plant snuck some of the records out and sold them for hundreds of dollars. The album was finally officially released in 1994. Also Bon Jovi changed the Slippery When Wet album cover, and Guns & Roses "Appetite For Destruction" album cover has been changed. MJ's cover for "Off The Wall" was changed on CD. Early versions of the CD were like the album cover, but later versions only had the feet and glowing socks

I heard that MJ simply didn't like that dove and had epic removed it.

I was looking for information regarding the Victory LP with the dove and found this thread.

Now, there are also regular LPs with Randy and the dove on his shoulder on the cover. When I look on ebay, they turn up much lesser than the picture disc with the dove - there are always some available of those but very seldom regular LPs with the dove. So is it only the regular LP that is like "megarare"?

I've always wondered about the dove. You can't even really see where it was on Randy's shoulder when you look at the cover; or at least I can't tell on mine! Somebody did a pretty good job of removing it in the days before photoshop.

Yes, it is pretty rare.

Michael asked for it to be removed as he didn't think it fitted the cover.

Just ordered an lp version of Victory so I'm now waiting to see if it has a dove on the sleeve

Hey! :) For over two years now, every now and then I've been after proper information regarding the vinyl pressing of The Jacksons' album "Victory" with the white dove on Randy's shoulder on the cover.

001_zps9c7cb404.jpg

The story behind this, is following: The first copies that were pressed, didn't include the dove on the cover. As the production ran, The Jacksons came up with the idea of white doves being released at the start of every show during the Victory Tour. The production was put on hold and cover painter Michael Whelan was asked to add the dove onto Randy's shoulder. The new cover as used and went into production. While planning the tour, the idea of having doves fly at the start of every show proved to be very difficult. So, production was put on hold, the dove cover got removed and the first version of the cover was used again.

However, the dove cover was used for the picture disc format of the Victory album — 20,000 copies of the picture disc were pressed, only in the US and in Canada.

006_zps371c9fac.jpg

As for the dove version of the standard format of the album, no one really knows how many copies were pressed or how many are still out there. One thing is for sure: The pressings including the white dove are not as rare as people think and not that much worth.

The reason? It's simple. First of all, note that the dove cover was only printed on copies manufactured in The Netherlands / Holland. What proves my point is that there's two different releases of the dove version, each with a different catalog number.

One is the original release that I mentioned in the story above. This version was pressed in 1984, the original release year of the album.

002_zpsb8fd037a.jpg

It has the catalog number EPC 86303 and the dark blue Epic label.

003_zps2f74646f.jpg

The other one is what seems to be a re-issue that must've been released some time after 1986, because in that year Epic redesigned and changed their label to a light grey one.

004_zps60cd2a4b.jpg

You can see, this release has a whole different catalog number, too, which is EPC 450450 1.

005_zpsd4d04f8d.jpg

Some of those later re-issues also come with a "NICE PRICE FROM CBS" sticker.

007_zps440e44d3.jpg

As you can see, it's not that difficult to find a pressing that has the white dove on Randy's shoulder. I, personally, would spend $60 at most for the EPC 86303, simply because it's from that 1984 production that didn't run for long. As for the re-issue (EPC 450450 1), I wouldn't spend more than $5-$10. I once found and bought one for $12 on eBay, but re-sold it after I found out it's a re-issue. For those interested in buying the picture disc, I'd say $20-$30 is a fair price.

There are some sellers on various websites trying to sell their dove copies for over $100. This is really much too much, and if you want my advice, don't go for it. You'll eventually find a copy for a lot less, just keep looking.

@modernaire Maybe you could help me out, I really want to buy all Michaels albums on LP. Not just as collectables, I actually want to play them so I'm doubting if I should go for original ones, or the 'newer' ones. Sounds like you know quite a lot about it, do you have some advice on what good prices would be for original ones? Especially the Off the wall, Bad and Thriller ones? Thanks!

@modernaire Maybe you could help me out, I really want to buy all Michaels albums on LP. Not just as collectables, I actually want to play them so I'm doubting if I should go for original ones, or the 'newer' ones. Sounds like you know quite a lot about it, do you have some advice on what good prices would be for original ones? Especially the Off the wall, Bad and Thriller ones? Thanks!

I'm no expert as far as the sound quality goes. I personally would go for the older ones which were made when it came out and the following five years?! I wouldn't spend any money for remastered and/or reissued records. Some people like a "clearer" and remastered sound, I prefer the original mastering and mix. As far as the price thing goes, Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad were best sellers, millions printed and sold, which means there's nothing rare about them. You can get copies of all three, in perfect condition and don't have to spend more than $2 to $5 for each, because as I said, there's too much of them. Check out the prices on discogs.com:

Off The Wall
Thriller
Bad

What could be really expensive, is if they were still unopened / factory sealed. That's an important factor if they're new. I once saw a Thriller pressing on eBay, that was from 1982, one of the original first pressings which was new, sealed and still had a sticker that said something like "Includes "The Girl Is Mine", duet with Paul McCartney" to promote the album using McCartney's name.

Good luck :cheeky:

^Oh very nice, thank you so much for you help! I agree, I'd also prefer that 'original' sound.
That's what I figured so I was quite surprised when I saw the prices :thinking:. So far I only checked out Dutch sites, but that site you showed me looks very good :yes: I think I'll just buy all of them there :D
Oh and you're right, there was one priced at around $200,- or something, but it was sealed.
Thanks again! :)

Back