Freedom of expression- what does is mean?

movingcoolcat

Proud Member
I would like to point out that this is NOT a attempt to cause any discussion on past discussions.
If it is interpreted that way, that is not whats intended, and it will be the persons reacting own responsebility.

I would like a discussion on what it means to have freedom to express your opinions, and the responsebility that comes with it.
We all can go and read the rules of the forum, but what does it realy mean? How does it apply in real discussions? what are the limits, and what do you feel is breaking the boundaries set? Why do we have the rules? Is it a good thing? Is it restricting the discussions?

What I think is part of Michaels legacy, is his ability to bring people of different age, race, gender, religion etc..... together.
While I do think that kind of communities need to have basic rules to make it work, not acknowledging those differences does not make them go away. In fact- if the differences is not open for discussion, and if we get to focused on "keeping the peace", they may either grow, or the community goes into a homogenic one, while still believing it to be diverse.

I put here some quotes that I find to be interesting as a starting point for discussion:

The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
Hubert Horatio HUMPHREY
U.S. Vice President 1965–69 (1911–78)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
Søren KIERKEGAARD​

Danish philosopher and religious thinker (1813-1855)

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it.""
Francois Marie Arouet VOLTAIRE
The Friends of Voltaire, 1907
French philosopher and writer (1694-1778)

I have always been among those who believed that the greatest freedom of speech was the greatest safety, because if a man is a fool the best thing to do is to encourage him to advertise the fact by speaking."Woodrow WILSON
28th President of the United States (1856-1924

The press enjoy to hide behind the right of free speech. And while that is often just another way of demanding to publish rubbish that they hope make them selll more, or promote an hidden agenda- its still one of the main things that makes shore people can voice their opinions.

Freedoms can be used or abused- as all other things when it comes to people. What I am wondering is how people feel about it here? Some say that discussion about difficult topics are a shore way of creating enemies. I think that avoiding the difficult subjects, and training ourself to see others point of view while being able to control our urge to get offended, get angry, get judgemental is a vital exercise that we need to do. Its not the difficult discussions that are dangerous- it the fear that makes us avoid them. Thats my opinion, what do you think?:)

Last edited:
No posters yet? Well, I guess people are too afraid to say anything.

:lol:

just joking. sorry. :unsure:

Seriously though, I think as long as no one is being hurt (or insulted, or ridiculed, and so on,) then pretty much anything goes.

Last edited:
well I think u bring up a valid point about the press. Yes the press has freedom of speech, but at the same time there is a code of conduct, of integrity. There's a reason for that. U dont want to use that freedom in order to cause harm to someone else's rights, right?

So yeah I agree as long as ur not hurting any one then its all good. But that is really an arbitrary line of distinction, since people can get hurt easily when it comes to certain subjects (like religion).

Basically it comes down to simple respect and courtesy.

With freedom of speech comes responsibility.

If we're talking about this board I think we do suffer a lack of moderation obviously.

Freedom of expression is important to me.

Then again the world is not turning around one of us thankfully.

So yeah express yourself everybody should have the right to express themselves with all what's might hurting and pain or injustices felt also but then again take into consideration it might be not only you or especially you someone is talking to or about.

I am pretty annoyed lately sorry.

Ppl get banned and sorry but the board gets more and more dull in consequence.
And I'll not blame Michael Jackson for not giving us news.
It's ppl all turning around themselves although there's a beautiful horizon if they'd just make it to lift their sight to see it.

The problem is I have no way time to join the moderation team but obviously they do need support or we'll all sink into doowadoowadoowa talk.

And before someone will tell me, I know I'm free to look for another board... I just feel sorrow for what this once was... and hey freedom of expression uh... it was worth a try.

Back