Batman: The Dark Knight [All threads merged].. Dark Knight Sequel Casting Rumors

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
Cinema Blend recieved a tip via a friend who tells them that execs at Warner Bros. are considering cutting a rather unsettling and meta scene from The Dark Knight featuring The Joker due to Heath Ledger’s unfortunate passing. The source says the scene is not playing well with test audiences. Read on if you want to know the scene, nothing too spoilerish in such limited context. And keep in mind this is just a rumor.

The scene involves The Joker pretending to be dead inside a body bag. If true, I’m not going to jump at the decision just yet. Usually I’d rail against it, but to me, this is a matter of taste/respect and while Christopher Nolan’s grim vision should remain intact along with the performance that Ledger will be most remembered for, maybe it’s just a bit much. Wow, this might be the first time I’ve camped out with the “too sooners.” The scene could always be permanently restored on the DVD. How do you all feel about it?

Last edited:
Re: Rumor: Controversial Joker Scene(s) in The Dark Knight Being Cut

leave it in, its no different then showing Brandon Lee being killed in "The Crow" its just part of the story.

KEEP IT IN.... it's not sitting with the audience because he JUST passed away..

if they watch it in the summer when it supposed to come out, they would not have the same reaction..

PLUS Ledger recorded that scene, so he was obviously OK with it.. It's his art.. u don't pamper with that..

PLUS Ledger recorded that scene, so he was obviously OK with it.. It's his art.. u don't pamper with that..

I say keep it in too but its whether Ledger was fine with because of course he was while he was alive. But the question is, Is the world ready for it.

Either way it'll just end on the DVD anyway.

they've returned to bombing scenes in new york, in movies..after a lull because of nine eleven. so....i don't think this should be meant as an affront...and as if people don't care about Heath Ledger....just as the bombing in new york scenes don't mean that people are insensitive to what happened on nine eleven.

I don't see why they shouldn't keep it in. Numerous people close to Heath say he was extremely proud of his work in this movie. I don't think even he would want the scene cut.

If Heath Was fine with it when he filmed it then leave it in

as for brandon lee in the crow as a fan of that movie i have learned that the scene that killed him was left in i dont know if thats true

plus the clips that the trailer showed.. OMG!!

he played that roll so well.. I want to see every clip possible..

I don't want to say this YET.. but he could be the BEST 'Joker' yet.

NOW THAT'S HUGE...

There’s a rumor floating around that a scene (or scenes) that involves The Joker in THE DARK KNIGHT are being edited from the film because they may make the audience uncomfortable as a result of Heath Ledger’s death. Well let me be the first to say BS!
Chris Nolan recently has been quoted as saying that THE DARK KNIGHT not be altered because of Heath’s passing. The final product will be the film that both Chris and Heath intended it to be.
Our ‘ol friend “Slappy White Dog” chimed in yesterday on the situation.
“Chris [Nolan] is getting the movie that he wants and EVERYBODY at the studio level [Warner Bros. and Legendary] is beyond thrilled with the film,” Slappy told BOF. “Everybody is so excited behind the scenes that they can barely contain it. It's definitely going to be out of this world!”
Slappy’s not too sure about that recent “review” that emerged from Brazil, although he says “[TDK] has screened internally at Warner Bros. in full a handful of times, obviously still in a rough, incomplete form but the whole story intact.”
Slappy is positive however that there has not been any test screenings. “I can definitely say that no screening has happened or will happen for a while. The film isn't close to being finished and they aren't doing any ‘work-in-progress screenings.‘ Chris has graduated beyond that point of trust with the studio. Any test screenings that happen before the release date will be of the COMPLETED, final film only.”
The bottom line is that if the Brazilian review is real (And I still think it is), then it’s from someone who sat in on one of those studio screenings.

Source: BoF

Heath Ledger was a fantastic Movie star
the joker role caused him to not sleep well but he still carried on no matter what happened and 3 days before he died he was filming another movie here in london uk

though I was looking foward to the movie prior to Heath was signed up for it..

After I saw clips of him playing it.. It took my wait for this movie to a new level.. I think it will be the BEST Batman ever...

I really cannot wait for it..

if u have not seen the trailer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WaIR9dAZRR0

Just AMAZING performance by Heath. He takes that 'dark' scary sence of the Joker as the 1989 Batman.. But takes it even deeper and to a darker more exciting place.. AHHHHHHHh

Dude! this movie is going to be great.. Keep the damn clips in please..

for me ^_^

I think they should leave it in, as well. Heath Ledger obviously felt comfortable performing it, and it's his art that will be remembered after all. They shouldn't mess with what the movie was intended to be, just because he passed away.

I think they should leave it in, as well. Heath Ledger obviously felt comfortable performing it, and it's his art that will be remembered after all. They shouldn't mess with what the movie was intended to be, just because he passed away.

exactly heath would want his work to go on and for him to be remembered by it if they cut the film its like cutting a piece of heath out of it becoz of his untimely and shocking death on jan 22nd 2008

sounds like all :bs to me

I doubt studio exec's are going to be cutting any scenes due to this, I'd say anything that get's cut will be primarily because of the final direction and editing of the film.

This happens evertime a star passes away when a movie of theirs is yet to be released, there's always the rumours of scenes being deleted because they don't fit well with the passing of the cast member etc.

helps keep interest in the film to leak rumours like this.... (cheaper than advertising).

I respect Heath's work. But I don't think you can beat Jack :p the guy had the face for the joker :p but then again so did heath, that big wide mouth for the dramatic clown paint

Can't wait to see the film though, Batman Begins was good so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

I'm also looking forward to Wolverine, and Iron Man ^_^

I respect Heath's work. But I don't think you can beat Jack :p the guy had the face for the joker :p

Yeah a well fed Joker face!:lol: Joker is supposed to be thin not chubby. Jack was playing a dark Ceaser Romero where as Heath is playing The Joker.

leave it in, its no different then showing Brandon Lee being killed in "The Crow" its just part of the story.

They didnt show that part. lol

I don't see why they shouldn't keep it in. Numerous people close to Heath say he was extremely proud of his work in this movie. I don't think even he would want the scene cut.

I agree. :yes:

All I know if that I cannot WAIT for this movie...I adore Heath Ledger and just the trailer is enough for me to know that his performance was/is amazing.

I know this Joker is dark and edgy, but I hope he's funny too. Funny AND sadistic is the most awesome blend for this character. I have faith though, since the first movie was awesomely done.

Jack Nicholson was entertaining, but I didn't feel like he was really playing the Joker. He was basically playing a gangster in Joker makeup.

Personally, I always thought Jim Carrey would make the perfect Joker. Aside from the obvious reasons why, his face is shaped exactly like the Joker from the DC Animated Universe lol. I think the "well, he was already Riddler" reasoning is kinda dumb, since this chain of Batman movies is set in an entirely different 'verse. If he can play the part, he can play the part.

Oh, as for the rumor, I wouldn't rush to believe it, but if it is true, it's pretty ridiculous. It sounds like this "test audience" were a bunch of little girls. The movie looks to be adult themed anyway (not that children won't see it), so I don't think there's any reason to cater to people who pay to see a movie like this and can't stomach a scene like that. It WON'T make a difference towards the film's success, other than garnering a little publicity.

I agree, Jim would of had suioted that role perfectly!

if there was any comic character I see Jim playing is either Deadpool or the Joker

Seriously...

bbrotj5.jpg

That IS Jim Carrey lol.

ah ur wrong there was a rumour that the brandon lee killing was in the film and left in it
if u watch it close it shows u him being shot as he walks through the door anyway nuff said

back to heath
i seriously think if they cut that movie it wont be the same

Heath Ledger’s Scene Not Cut from The Dark Knight

On the rumor that a scene(s) has been cut from The Dark Knight showing (Spoiler warning…) Heath Ledger’s Joker in a body bag is now up to a sweet 130 comments. The majority of Slashfilm readers feel quite passionately that it’s a slight to Heath Ledger, the film, fans and Christopher Nolan to remove anything. Personally, I won’t put myself in the odd and trivial position of decrying, “It’s what Ledger would have wanted!” but the adamance here on the site is quite punk rock and impressive, really. Moviehole now reports that a source close to the production says not a damn thing will be changed in the final film come July…
‘’I KNOW for a fact that that scene is in the film. I also know that WB has made no such mandate and that Chris [Nolan] is honest when saying that he will not change what was intended with The Joker.”
So, if the source is right, it’s raining goodness for countless Slash readers this Saturday.

Discuss: Happy? TDK is going to hit like a friggin’ sledgehammer. What else needs to be said.​

Last edited:

ah ur wrong there was a rumour that the brandon lee killing was in the film and left in it
if u watch it close it shows u him being shot as he walks through the door anyway nuff said

back to heath
i seriously think if they cut that movie it wont be the same
how am I wrong? I just said that the film shows Brandon Lee's character dieing......... :huh:

Re: Heath Ledger’s Scene Not Cut from The Dark Knight

On the rumor that a scene(s) has been cut from The Dark Knight showing (Spoiler warning…) Heath Ledger’s Joker in a body bag is now up to a sweet 130 comments. The majority of Slashfilm readers feel quite passionately that it’s a slight to Heath Ledger, the film, fans and Christopher Nolan to remove anything. Personally, I won’t put myself in the odd and trivial position of decrying, “It’s what Ledger would have wanted!” but the adamance here on the site is quite punk rock and impressive, really. Moviehole now reports that a source close to the production says not a damn thing will be changed in the final film come July…

So, if the source is right, it’s raining goodness for countless Slash readers this Saturday.​

Discuss: Happy? TDK is going to hit like a friggin’ sledgehammer. What else needs to be said.​
glad they aint changing it lol, but it would be interesting to see who picks up the part in future films

Re: Rumor: Controversial Joker Scene(s) in The Dark Knight - Update: Not Cut #24

Leave the scenes in. It's his work and if the film is better with those scenes then they shouldn't cut them based on the scenes being inappropriate because of the actors death. I would understand if those scenes were not necessary and they cut them. If that was the case I would still want to see them as deleted scenes on the dvd though. Looking forward to seeing it at the cinema! Haven't been interested in Batman films before this, but Heath Ledger is one of my favourite actors so I would have been just seeing it for him but now I guess I'll also be seeing it because we won't be able to see a new film again at the cinema with him in again. Really sad :(

Re: Rumor: Controversial Joker Scene(s) in The Dark Knight - Update: Not Cut #24

Not to be morbid, but I wonder if Joker dies in the movie. In the comics and cartoons, he always just gets dumped in Arkham Asylum and easily escapes, but a lot of these superhero big screen movies have a way of killing off their villains in the movie they're in, and then moving on to new villains in the next movie. I was disappointed when Eddie Brock died in Spider-Man 3, because I really thought Topher Grace had a very interesting character going with him. It was different from the previously well known version of Brock, but I loved how in the movie, he paralleled Peter as a less noble version of him. I know I criticized Nicholson's Joker for not being like the known Joker, but I never really loved the dumb bodybuilder version of Brock in the first place; it was Venom who was awesome. There are a lot of rumors about Grace reprising the role, so who knows?

Ah, so easy to get off topic. What was I gonna say? Oh, yeah: I wonder who'll play Joker next if he survives the movie. I still say Jim Carrey should be the obvious choice, dammit.

Yeah a well fed Joker face!:lol: Joker is supposed to be thin not chubby. Jack was playing a dark Ceaser Romero where as Heath is playing The Joker.

Agreed. The thing with Jack Nicholson is that in every role he takes he's, well, Jack Nicholson, lol. But he was very much channeling Ceaser Romero.

I know this Joker is dark and edgy, but I hope he's funny too. Funny AND sadistic is the most awesome blend for this character. I have faith though, since the first movie was awesomely done.

Jack Nicholson was entertaining, but I didn't feel like he was really playing the Joker. He was basically playing a gangster in Joker makeup.

Personally, I always thought Jim Carrey would make the perfect Joker. Aside from the obvious reasons why, his face is shaped exactly like the Joker from the DC Animated Universe lol. I think the "well, he was already Riddler" reasoning is kinda dumb, since this chain of Batman movies is set in an entirely different 'verse. If he can play the part, he can play the part.

Oh, as for the rumor, I wouldn't rush to believe it, but if it is true, it's pretty ridiculous. It sounds like this "test audience" were a bunch of little girls. The movie looks to be adult themed anyway (not that children won't see it), so I don't think there's any reason to cater to people who pay to see a movie like this and can't stomach a scene like that. It WON'T make a difference towards the film's success, other than garnering a little publicity.

Wow, Jim Carrey. Hmmm, never thought of that - I suppose just cuz of his Riddler bit. But that's a great idea. He really does look like the Joker from the animated series (but I don't think anyone can ever beat Mark Hamill's laugh - it's beyond insane! :p).

I think I might be the only person here to say that as of now I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of seeing Heath Ledger play dead. That being said, I totally acknowledge that it's the Joker playing dead not Heath, and being the huge Batman fan I am, I'd want justice done to the character by whatever means necessary. Come July I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune about the death scene.

Not to be morbid, but I wonder if Joker dies in the movie. In the comics and cartoons, he always just gets dumped in Arkham Asylum and easily escapes, but a lot of these superhero big screen movies have a way of killing off their villains in the movie they're in, and then moving on to new villains in the next movie. I was disappointed when Eddie Brock died in Spider-Man 3, because I really thought Topher Grace had a very interesting character going with him. It was different from the previously well known version of Brock, but I loved how in the movie, he paralleled Peter as a less noble version of him. I know I criticized Nicholson's Joker for not being like the known Joker, but I never really loved the dumb bodybuilder version of Brock in the first place; it was Venom who was awesome. There are a lot of rumors about Grace reprising the role, so who knows?

Ah, so easy to get off topic. What was I gonna say? Oh, yeah: I wonder who'll play Joker next if he survives the movie. I still say Jim Carrey should be the obvious choice, dammit.

Yeah, Topher Grace as Venom was an interesting choice. Probably the only saving grace of that movie, from what I hear (I refused to pay to see it). If they make a Venom movie I'd definitely go see it!

I bet the Joker won't be killed off in this movie - they'll probably leave it open-ended, kind of like they did with R'as al Ghul. I can't really see those two villians in particular dying because they're so key to the Batman universe. I think the Nolan team knows that, in spite of the usual storyline present in all the superhero movies.

The rumor going around is that TDK is going to clock in at nearly 3 hours! The scuttlebutt suggested that TDK was going to longer than BEGINS and that seems to be the case. Honestly, I have no problem with a 160 to 180 minute Bat-Flick -- as long as it's a good one. And all signs point to TDK being a great one. SOURCE: Dark Horizons

Back