Should lives be led on religious authority?

MJMThriller

Proud Member
Just wanted people's opinions on whether people should follow religious teachings. I became curious after writing the following essay for a school exam:

"I don't think religious faith should be entirely central to one's life, as many religious teachings can discriminate against things that are politically accepted eg. the consumption of alcohol, sexual intercourse and homosexuality.

Many people use religion to act out their own prejudice ideas. In America, many bible bashers hold placards whilst condemning 'sinners' to Hell. These 'messengers of God' stand outside hospitals to antagonize women who have abortions because 'abortion is murder'. Do these 'messengers' not know that some women have abortions because they have been raped?

They think that homosexuality is a disease which can be cured. Is the cure the calumniation and discrimination that these people are subjected to?

Many religious followers believe that people should not read books such as "Harry Potter" because it shows support of the occult and witchcraft. Yet, when asked about the powers that Jesus Christ supposedly held, they say "Jesus performed miracles - not magic".

Is it fair that a priest who has had a relationship with a women be fired? Should he appear on the frontpage of newspapers - his every move detailed and criticised? Does a priest not have the right to be and feel loved, through the actions he partakes in the privacy of his own home?

Children who are brought up in a religious family will grow up to be as prejudiced as their parents, and the cycle will continue.

Lives should not be led on religious authority but the moral stance of utilitarianism. Through the mass following of utilitarianism, the world could be remade into a haven of joy. (Had to get a reference to MJ in!
tongue.gif
).

In my opinion, religions such as Christianity and Islam are as unhealthy as Satanism, maybe even more so. At least the evils of Satanism are obvious, whereas the evils of other religions are shrouded in a cloak of hope and belief."

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
woo wee..u sure like setting up explosives, don't you? lol

these discussions never end good. that's all i'm going to say.

Just wanted people's opinions on whether people should follow religious teachings. I became curious after writing the following essay for a school exam:

"I don't think religious faith should be entirely central to one's life, as many religious teachings can discriminate against things that are politically accepted eg. the consumption of alcohol, sexual intercourse and homosexuality.

Many people use religion to act out their own prejudice ideas. In America, many bible bashers hold placards whilst condemning 'sinners' to Hell. These 'messengers of God' stand outside hospitals to antagonize women who have abortions because 'abortion is murder'. Do these 'messengers' not know that some women have abortions because they have been raped?

They think that homosexuality is a disease which can be cured. Is the cure the calumniation and discrimination that these people are subjected to?

Many religious followers believe that people should not read books such as "Harry Potter" because it shows support of the occult and witchcraft. Yet, when asked about the powers that Jesus Christ supposedly held, they say "Jesus performed miracles - not magic".

Is it fair that a priest who has had a relationship with a women be fired? Should he appear on the frontpage of newspapers - his every move detailed and criticised? Does a priest not have the right to be and feel loved, through the actions he partakes in the privacy of his own home?

Children who are brought up in a religious family will grow up to be as prejudiced as their parents, and the cycle will continue.

Lives should not be led on religious authority but the moral stance of utilitarianism. Through the mass following of utilitarianism, the world could be remade into a haven of joy. (Had to get a reference to MJ in!
tongue.gif
).

In my opinion, religions such as Christianity and Islam are as unhealthy as Satanism, maybe even more so. At least the evils of Satanism are obvious, whereas the evils of other religions are shrouded in a cloak of hope and belief."

Your thoughts?

I have studied Theology, Mythology, Sociology, Political Science, and Christianity of Western Civilization. I find it interesting that the history books in many instances claim that religion was created to control societies. It takes all kinds to make the world go round, as we all know, there is good, kindness, generous, bad, hypocritical, selfish, unkind, evil people in the world. Depending what one (s) interpretation, beliefs are, and the choices we as individuals make with our journey thoughout life, determines our destiny...

No matter what religion we choose to be a part of, whether we agree with part of or all of the religious practices or not. It is important to remember to always maintain the values, virtues, and morels from which we as a society been taught, by the creation of life, and the history from which it comes.

Heal The World~~~

Last edited:
MJJHistory, first of all, you did not show us the question that you were given for us to understand fully why you answered in that way.
While I do agree with much of what you said in your answers, I'm afraid that I wouldn't give you very good marks iof I was marking your papers. The reason being that you only gave a one-sided view of the issue and did not show that you understood or were capable of seeing both sides of the argument.
There is nothing wrong with showing all the points you did, but you should at least show that you are aware of the others point of view.

No matter what religion we choose to be a part of, whether we agree with part of or all of the religious practices. It is important to always maintain the values, virtues, and morels from which we as a civilized society have been taught by the creation of life and the history from which it comes.
i think the big question is - which values?

the original post started with:
"I don't think religious faith should be entirely central to one's life, as many religious teachings can discriminate against things that are politically accepted"
suggesting a conflict of morals/ethics/codes that organised religions exhibit not only with one another but with the secular way of life and the norm of the 'politically correct'. and that's true.

and there's no problem with conflicting ethical standards - it's why we have had international ethical debates for a long time.

but my main criticism of organised religions is that it sets absolutes to such complex moral values - either wrong or right. this is too black and white for our progress as a civilisation both socially and scientifically. we need to be able to question morals and debate ethics. organised religion leaves very little room to do that. fortunately for our generation and those beyond, religion is hampering science less and less as politics have become more secular throughout not only the West but also East, albeit slowly.

on that basis alone, i'd say no to your question, MJJHIStory.

MJJHistory, first of all, you did not show us the question that you were given for us to understand fully why you answered in that way.

The question that was asked was "Do you think religious authority should be central to one's life".

Dear arXter,
The values that are true to your heart..!

Heal The World~~~

and what about someone else's values that may conflict with mine? through an organised religion, we wouldn't be able to debate it as it will be "my God's word against yours".

Back