This Will Mess With Your Head

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
3 Men Go Into A Motel. The Man Behind The Desk Said The Room Is $30, So
Each Man Paid $10 And Went To The Room.

A While Later The Man Behind The Desk Realized The Room Was Only $25, So
He Sent The Bellboy To The 3 Guys' Room With $5.

On The Way, The Bellboy Couldn't Figure Out How To Split $5 Evenly
Between 3 Men, So He Gave Each Man A $1 And Kept The Other $2 For
Himself.

This Meant That The 3 Men Each Paid $9 For The Room, Which Is A Total Of
$27, Add The $2 That The Bellboy Kept = $29.

Where Is The Other Dollar?​

:eek:

what the?

Ooooh I love these :D I suck at them unless I know the answer :lol:

where's the other dollar? :unsure:

anyone got any more like this? :D

lol I love that. It does mess with ones head but only because of the way you presented it. The room cost them 25$ but they actually paid 25$ plus 2$ tip (forced) to the bellboy. It isn't 27+2, it is 25+2 to get the total amount paid which is 27$ total.

:lol: funny though.

lol why are we looking for the other dollar? the target should be $25, not 30. the bellboy kept $2 from the 27 the men paid (although they should have only paid 25).

you all are silly

if the bell boy gave each of the three men a dollar, that is $3 and he kept the other $2

$25+$3+$2=$30

OOh, I hate ( and love :D ) these because I can't figure out the answer!

Yeah this is all about how its presented to you.

Here is the solution
Step 1.
When the men walk in they have $30 set aside for the room. The desk has received no money from them, so in the transaction, so far, the desk has $0. The Bellboy has also received no money from the transaction and therefore has $0.
Step 2.
The men pay for their room ($30) - they now have $0 in the transaction whereas the desk has +$30. The Bellboy still has $0.
Step 3.
The desk realises their error and give the Bellboy $5. The desk now has only +$25. The men still have $0 in the transaction.
Step 4.
The Bellboy gives the men $3 - they now have +$3 from the transaction. But the Bellboy keeps $2 - so he has +$2 from the transaction. The desk still has +$25. So - $25 + $3 +$2 = $30!
All the money is accounted for - it's just a matter of following each dollar and see where it goes!

Back