The media is the enemy of freedom-666 see rich media, poor democracy part 1n2

Datsymay

Proud Member
I actually believe that the media is the devil and I am glad I am not the only one. I haven't watched tv or read a newspaper for the longest time. I get my news from the web, but I can chose which news I will listen to and at least I can respond to it or do my research if I have problems with it. I feel that I don't have to be lied to anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvuxDm_a9bU&feature=related

Last edited:
I actually believe that the media is the devil and I am glad I am not the only one. I haven't watched tv or read a newspaper for the longest time. I get my news from the web, but I can chose which news I will listen to and at least I can respond to it or do my research if I have problems with it. I feel that I don't have to be lied to anymore.

Interesting that you would post these. I was just thinking the other day about how I wonder why the news couldn't start reporting facts without putting a spin on most stories. I know they need to make it interesting somehow because it is about money isn't it, and think that by putting something scandalous in an article, that that takes care of it. But that is the easy cheap and sleazy way out. Use writing ability! What makes a novel interesting to read? Even wholesome novels are interesting because the writing is quality. Why can't there be quality journalism in that way? Most of the journalists would be out of work...oh wait..there is always trashy tabloids which is what most newspapers have become, or at least partly. Time for news to be actual news instead of being gossip I think. I don't have the time of day for most newspapers or newscasts. Waste of time just to listen to some true snipit of information drenched in gossip.

Errr no. Media IS NOT tabloid media. Freedom of speech, opinion and press are some of the greatest achievements in our society. It's part of what defines democracy. It's NOT like that in dictatorships. Freedom of press HAS TO EXIST, it's an indicator of freedom and democracy. Tabloid media is bad, but it's only part of the media. Serious reporters have work ethics and they have an obligation to bring NEWS to people, to be critical, to investigate. There has to be a clear separation between news and opinion/commentary. If you don't want to read tabloid trash, don't do it, but condemning all media is IMO very dangerous.

Datsymay, thank you for posting these links. As I said in another thread, I have dialup so watching these clips can take HOURS. ADSL coming soon.

I feel I must comment in this thread because this a topic I feel very strongly about.

It is naive to believe that media is not another form of control. People with power will do what is necessary to retain that power. That is basic human nature. The best way to retain that power is to control those who do not have it (power) in such way that they (the powerless) do not seek it (power) or seek forms of 'power' that are meaningless.

I appreciate what last unicorn is saying. Of course, free press is a great achievement for 'civilised' societies but does not negate the fact that is quite possible that media can and has been used to manipulate public opinion. You have to ask the question "how free is your media REALLY?"

And people have a right to be suspicious. Within the past decade I have noticed a disturbing trend - one paper/newscast would feature a story and it is then picked up wholesale by other news organisations. We read/hear things like "NY Daily News reports that . . . " No one has made any attempt to verify the story. It is just regurgitated as FACT. That is a very worrying thing to me.

I feel I must add here that I am not a conspiracy theorist (at least I am trying not to be) and it is important that people cite their sources. I don't necessarily swallow everything I see or read on the net either. Cite a source for me to check, then we will see.

Keep the links coming. It is very important for us to have discourse on this matter.

Last edited:
thx for posting Datsymay. I feel very strongly about his topic and could talk about it for hours..but seeing as it's two in the morning here and I already posted a long-winded reply in a more recent thread about media brainwashing, which I think is also one you made? , I'll just say I agree with you. thanks for bringing this into the light. hopefully this will open more people's eyes about the issue.

thx for posting Datsymay. I feel very strongly about his topic and could talk about it for hours..but seeing as it's two in the morning here and I already posted a long-winded reply in a more recent thread about media brainwashing, which I think is also one you made? , I'll just say I agree with you. thanks for bringing this into the light. hopefully this will open more people's eyes about the issue.
Thanks for watching the videos.:D

There has been a war on free press for some time. There are some very perceptive posts in this thread. Thank you for starting it.

This is also a very important topic for me as well. I ignored the thread only because I knew I would want to respond at length and that I had no time. lol Here is an article I came across recently that was linked in an article about Murdoch. I will see if I can find the article about Murdoch as well.

http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/77/Media_Democracy_on_the_March.html

Media Democracy on the March
The Federal Communications Commission is about to give Big Media a big gift. Media activists are trying to take it back.

Eric Klinenberg | 02 May 2008 | 7 comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This year, American voters will select a new President, 535 House Representatives, and 35 Senators. The winners will determine the duration of the war in Iraq, the fate of universal health care coverage and policies on issues from climate change to immigration, torture to fair trade.

Citizens are not the only ones with stakes in the outcome. The Big Media companies that provide most Americans with their news and information – General Electric (which also produces military equipment), News Corporation (owned by Rupert Murdoch), Time Warner, Walt Disney, Viacom, Clear Channel Communications and chain newspaper companies such as Gannett and Tribune – have a lot on the line. That’s why lobbying expenditures from the media and telecommunications industry exceed those from defense, energy and agribusiness. It’s also why this year, once again, the time and space allotted for news coverage of policy issues and where candidates stand will be a small fraction of what’s allotted for entertainment and soft feature stories. We’ll get Britney over Baghdad. American Idol over American Empire. And then, come November, we’ll debate why so few Americans bothered to vote.

It’s not supposed to work this way. In theory, democratic societies take special care to build robust and democratic media systems, because voters need quality journalism to make informed decisions. But in recent decades, the United States has done the reverse. Since the early 1980s, when President Ronald Reagan embarked on a course of radical deregulation, US media policies have ushered in an age of unprecedented consolidation, with chains and conglomerates pushing small, independent, female and minority-owned media companies out of business. In his 1983 treatise, The Media Monopoly, Ben Bagdikian warned that 50 multinationals, “all interlocked in common financial interest with other massive industries and with a few dominant international banks,” controlled the majority of the leading outlets. In the latest edition, published in 2006, those 50 had consolidated into five.

Today, a growing social movement of US citizens is calling for new policies to break up the media behemoths. But Big Media companies have a strong voice, too, and this year, once again, they are demanding even more relaxed ownership rules. Due to a bizarre and profoundly anti-democratic feature of American government, they may well get what they want.

Since 1934, when Congress passed the Communications Act, US media policies have been set by an independent government agency, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Five FCC Commissioners have full authority to regulate interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The commissioners, who serve five-year terms, are appointed by the President and approved by the Senate. No more than three can belong to the same political party, which means that ordinarily the President’s party has a solid 3-2 majority, and can push through its agenda, no matter how unwise or unpopular.

There are some limits, however, and in 2003 the FCC failed to get around them. As American citizens from all political persuasions and regional locations rallied to complain about the rise of homogenized Big Media companies such as Clear Channel, News Corporation and Disney, then-Chairman Michael Powell (the son of Colin Powell) got his fellow Republican Commissioners to support a package of deregulatory rules that violated the US Constitution. In the now famous case, Prometheus Radio Project v. FCC, a US Circuit Court of Appeals rejected the FCC’s order and pushed Chairman Powell straight out of office … and right into the arms of a multi-billion dollar private equity firm that buys media companies.

Powell is hardly the first FCC leader to take the revolving door from the regulator’s office to the corporations that the FCC regulates. But he may well have been the most brazen. According to the Center for Public Integrity (CPI), during the years leading up to the 2003 deregulatory order, FCC officials were “showered with nearly $2.8 million in travel and entertainment [in media policy meccas such as Paris, Hong Kong, and Rio de Janeiro] … most of it from the telecommunications and broadcast industries.” Powell, who as Chairman could set the FCC’s policy agenda, “chalked up the most industry sponsored travel and entertainment among active commissioners during the period covered by the study – 44 trips costing $84,921.” The findings, which got little coverage in the media itself, caused CPI founder Charles Lewis to complain that “the FCC is in the grips of the industry,” captured by the companies it is supposed to contain.

In 2007, the new chairman, Kevin Martin, vowed that he had learned from Powell’s mistakes. At his direction, the FCC held a series of six public hearings about media ownership, each designed so that citizens could express their preferences and concerns before the Commission. The hearings were a resounding success. From Los Angeles to Tampa, hundreds of citizens packed auditoriums and waited hours for a chance to speak their minds. At the final hearing, held in Seattle last November, more than 1,000 people poured into a town hall to participate. Their message was unmistakable: America’s experiment with consolidation has been an unmitigated disaster. The policies that allow Big Media companies to dominate have undermined all three of the values that the FCC was supposed to promote: market competition, viewpoint diversity and local coverage. It was time for a change. The Commissioners listened patiently as citizens made this argument in city after city. Then they ignored it altogether.

Just one working day after the Seattle hearing, the New York Times published an op-ed by Chairman Martin, in which he announced a proposed rule change that would allow media conglomerates to grow even bigger. The key change involved gutting the 32-year-old “cross-ownership” ban, which prohibits newspaper companies from owning and operating broadcast stations in cities where they also publish papers. In Martin’s proposal, companies would be allowed to cross-own in the top 20 markets, as well as in a countless number of places where generous loopholes justified a waiver.

To justify his proposal, Chairman Martin released a series of official research studies, commissioned by the FCC. But who conducted the studies? What questions did they ask? What methods did they use? What evidence did they consider, or rule out? The public never had a chance to take up these issues; nor did the Democrats on the Commission, Michael Copps and Jonathan Adelstein, who were shut out of the planning process. To no one’s surprise, the three Republicans voted together in mid-December to pass the new ownership order, while the two Democrats dissented.

“Today’s decision would make George Orwell proud,” said Copps in response to the ruling. “We claim to be giving the news industry a shot in the arm – but the real effect is to reduce total newsgathering. We shed crocodile tears for the financial plight of newspapers, yet the truth is that newspaper profits are about double the S&P 500 average. We pat ourselves on the back for holding six field hearings across the United States – yet today’s decision turns a deaf ear to the thousands of Americans who waited in long lines for an open mic to testify before us.”

Copps and Adelstein promised to challenge their colleagues on the Commission, but since there are only two votes between them, their power was limited. Congress, however, has the power to reject an FCC rule-making with a rarely used “Resolution of Disapproval,” and on March 5, 2008, US Senator Byron Dorgan (a Democrat from North Dakota) – along with co-sponsors Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and John Kerry – proposed one.

Turning back the FCC’s latest deregulatory push requires majority votes in both the House and the Senate. But it is also subject to Presidential veto, which means that George W. Bush could give Big Media a generous thank you gift before he leaves office. If that happens, it will come at the public’s expense.

It’s time to fix the FCC. That’s a job that requires far more dramatic action than we’ll get from any of this year’s political candidates. However, there are already millions of citizens who are taking up the cause. With groups like Free Press, SavetheInternet.com, MoveOn.org, and the Youth Media Council leading the way, Americans may one day reclaim their media. Stay tuned.

_Eric Klinenberg is an associate professor at New York University and author of Fighting for Air: The Battle to Control America’s Media.

Thank you for this. EC. I hope that America will wake up and do soething to take back control of their airwaves. Many are turning off their tv, as I have already done. It feels so good.

Thank you for this. EC. I hope that America will wake up and do soething to take back control of their airwaves. Many are turning off their tv, as I have already done. It feels so good.

Sheesh. I hardly ever watch tv. Like you I get my news from the web but you have to be carefull with that too. It would be easy for us to select the news that we already agree with and ignore the rest. If we are slanted in our opinion to begin with it would be easy to reinforce that. You just always have to read enough to be able to start to pick out the lies.

There are a few good in depth shows on tv I like. Charlie Rose is one of them. Nova is good. So I watch once in a great while.

While my kids were at home for quite a few years I did not even have a tv in the house. When I had it they were very limited in what they could watch. By the time they were in their preteens they never watched tv even though it was then up to them. They read. Now as adults they all love reading and are very active and diverse. They have their own kids and they seldom watch tv either. My grandson who just graduated kindergarden can read 'chapter books' that I guess must be about fourth grade level. He just picked it up because he was read to from the time he was an infant.

Being free from tv addiction is a wonderful thing.

Here is something to give you a little hope about us. It certainly gives me hope. I thought this had passed the Senate but then lost track . The last I had heard was that even if it passed the house Bush would veto it. I am glad to hear it has a chance and they believe now they can override a veto..

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/06/08/9494/
Published on Sunday, June 8, 2008 by CommonDreams.org
The Tipping Point for Media Reform
by Megan Tady
There are moments in every decade when monumental struggles for social change finally tip in favor of the public interest. We’ve seen the relief of a 40-hour work week, the long-awaited arrival of women’s right to vote, and the even longer fight to end segregation.

This decade — now — we’re facing another tipping point. Our fight is to reform our broken media system, and to stop heavy-handed corporate control of what Americans read, watch and hear.

Ensuring that our press act as watchdogs for the American people is at the heart of a thriving democracy.

In late May, in an historic victory, the Senate overwhelmingly voted to overturn rules that would allow one company to own both a major daily newspaper and a TV or radio station in the same community. The Senate rejected a Federal Communications Commission decision that would have had disastrous effects on local news.

Media consolidation has already contributed to the demise of investigative journalism, gutted newsrooms, and put the private interests’ of media owners over the public’s right to know. Allowing big media companies to become the dominant mouthpiece for local news and information would drown out the homegrown voices and diversity that are the lifeblood of communities.

The “Resolution of Disapproval” now moves to the House, where there is strong bipartisan incentive to follow the Senate’s lead. If passed by both branches and approved by the president, the resolution would nullify the FCC’s rules. And although the Bush Administration has promised a veto, there appears to be enough legislative support to override Bush’s attempts to give favors to media conglomerates like Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp.

What’s happening is truly groundbreaking — only in recent years has the public realized it could have an impact on complex communications policy. The powerful broadcast lobby got used to dictating policy without public involvement or consent.

What changed? The public is refusing to back down. The Senate victory wasn’t just won by inside lobby groups in Washington. It was won by more than a quarter-million citizens who told their representatives time and again that runaway media consolidation is unacceptable. And it was won by the thousands who in hearings held around the country told the FCC that Big Media hurts our communities, our country, and our democracy.

The opportunity to alter the U.S. media system and create profound social change is immense. There’s never been more public and political support behind this issue. And the National Conference on Media Reform — a gathering this weekend in Minneapolis of thousands of folks who want to change the media — has never come at a more opportune time.

More than 3,000 people converged in Minneapolis to strategize on how to take back the media, and capitalize on the momentum of the Senate victory. Media luminaries Bill Moyers, Dan Rather and Amy Goodman joined forces with students, community members, journalists, bloggers, and activists — everyone who’s fed up with Big Media.

There’s been a lot of talk lately about hope. Americans want to see social change. But we have more than hope on our side in the battle for a more diverse and divested press — we have the power of a growing people’s movement and the burgeoning political will of our leaders.

This fight isn’t in the bag — in fact, it’s far from over. But the scales are tipping in our favor, and before long, there will be an avalanche to reform the media and transform our democracy.

Megan Tady is a campaign coordinator with Free Press (www.freepress.net), the national, nonpartisan media reform group.

Back