Indiana Jones 4 - Just seen it.. (Minor Spoilers)

Foxy..

Proud Member
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
I feel the need to write down my thoughts about seeing this film since the franchise has been my favorite and most treasured since I was a child. I grew up watching Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade, and so I have been feeling like a child setting his eyes on a double chocolate fudge sundae with whipped cream for the very first time!

Now as I am older, I have become a student of film, and I have to owe it to movies such as the original Indiana Jones masterpieces. Considering this, I had to make sure I saw the film on the night it was released and so, what better place to share my review than with everyone here at MJJCommunity. I hope we have some Indiana film fans out there!

Obviously, I went into this film with high expectations, yet I was open minded in how the director chose to approach the gap in time and what new mystery and settings I could feast my eyes upon. From the opening I was impressed with the immediate recognition of how the time had passed, a group of teenagers speeding along a Nevada desert road playing Elvis Presley's Hound Dog on full volume surely enough told me that this film was set in the 1950's.

Where I was hoping for a story which would be similar in realism yet enjoyably unreal as Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade, the story unfortunately descended into an uninteresting and unbelievable scenario, similar in hindsight to The Temple of Doom, which in my opinion is the worst of the films.

Something else that was missing from this film which was present in its three predecessors, was witty and dry humored dialouge. Unfortunately, maybe because of age or lack of dedication, the script was bitty and unfunny where it was obviously trying to be, with hardly any jokes taking off in the cinema, leaving the room silent when laughs should have erupted. Although there were a couple of moments I let out a giggle, I was in no way as entertained by the script as I still am by the third film; The Last Crusade.

The visual effects and stunning set pieces were however mind blowing, in classic Indie style the action never fails to keep you on the edge of your seat. Car chases, boats, bendy trees, waterfalls, killer ants, scorpions, quicksand, sword fights, all classic pieces of Indiana Jones magic. However, although visually impressive, the central storyline does not hold water in being fun to watch, unrealistic to the extreme it doesn't allow the audience to relate to what is happening. Where in the first and third films there was a sense of grittiness where you cared about what Indiana Jones was fighting for, the classic yet unique in execution 'good vs evil' scenario, which although present in this installment, I did not find the rivalry interesting, believable nor worth the seats snapping in audience anticipation.

As a huge Indiana fan, I left the cinema on the fence, was I disappointed or was I just expecting too much because of the love I have for the original trilogy? I think that my problem was a mixture of both my own preconceived notions on how I wanted the narrative to unravel and the narrative relying too heavily on the audience having to enjoy it because of its preceding trilogy.

All in all, I believe that if the script was ripped up and rewritten, keeping in the glorious action sequences this could have been a masterpiece and added to the other films rather than having the 'Terminator 3' feel. I do however feel it is better than the second film in terms of enjoyment and engagement. It is definitely worth seeing if you are a fan or not of the trilogy, but don't go into the cinema with high expectations of the other films.

My Score - 7/10

Ranking of the franchise in order:

The Last Crusade
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Temple of Doom

Last edited:
Im d/ling it now.
^ Lol Wow

I was kinda discouraged from seeing it since I'm not a HUGE Indiana fan, and a whole bunch of people have been telling me it sucked. But after reading your take on it I think I'm gonna check it out, if only to see if it'll thrill me like the other ones ive seen have. :)

^^ Not really, its a DVD copy and I can pause it if i need to go to the toilet! lol

I cant now you said that cuz I'll get in trouble for sharing illegal material through MJJC.

not one bit uh uh... once i realized what the crystal skull was i wanted to stand up and say really? REALLY??? that's ridiculous! and walk out... however i was w/the type of person who wouldn't walk out of ANY movie LOL

One small side point: having KGB "terrorists" in the script is cheap bad taste cold-war-time cliche that has nothing to do with anything actual other than implanting stamps in viewers. Well, we could not expect CIA to be the bad guy, but still it is pathetic. :lol:

I've always been a fan of the original Indiana Jones trilogy and I grew up watching them. I haven't seen it yet but am going to try and catch it at the cinema this weekend. I'm not expecting the second coming of Raiders but I'll be just happy if I go in there and have a good time because to that's what going to the movies is all about.

One small side point: having KGB "terrorists" in the script is cheap bad taste cold-war-time cliche that has nothing to do with anything actual other than implanting stamps in viewers. Well, we could not expect CIA to be the bad guy, but still it is pathetic. :lol:

It is an American movie. What do you expect?

I got get me one of them fridges just in case ;)

And the whole alien thing wasnt very Indy either.

^^ Yeah Speilberg wanted to do a James Bond movie and Lucas had this idea to a B movie.

^^ Yeah Speilberg wanted to do a James Bond movie and Lucas had this idea to a B movie.

Hmm, yeah but it's a bit more in depth.. lol

Well Speilberg and Lucas were already good friends from their college years, and both went on to direct successful movies. Speilberg of course directed 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' and then 'Jaws', but then created a huge flop of a film called '1941', his career was pretty much in pieces as no one would employ him to direct any films after this..

Speilberg really wanted to direct a James Bond film, that was his ambition anyway, and George Lucas wanted to direct a James Bond style film, but the character was American and comedy played a large part in the films.

Lucas helped Speilberg out by giving him HIS latest development in a movie, which is of course the 'Indiana Jones' franchise. Speilberg was able to direct the first film (and the continuing films) under George Lucas' production company Lucasfilm. Once Raiders of the Lost Ark was created, his career was back in full swing! So we have to thank Star Wars for films like 'E.T', 'Empire of the Sun', 'Saving Private Ryan' etc!

Last edited:
DI: as I wrote, we could not expect the CIA to be the bad guy exactly because of what you wrote, but having KGB in 1957 for this is off the wall and if there could be less cliche with this (no one said it should be necessary KGB) it would look less pathetic. But this all is only secondary thought, of course. ;)

Action sequences are strong and flashy -- this is what most of viewers wait from IJ.

I haven't seen it yet. My wife and I are planning a night out without the baby and we want to go see it. From what I've seen in previews, it looks good, but probably not as good as the last one. IMO The Last Crusade is the best of them all.

I've just watched it in the theatres with my boyfriend last weekend... didn't like it too much to be honest.
I'd give it a 6/10.

Back