Triumph Tour Appreciation!

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
I think the "Triumph Tour" is extremely underrated. Fans always go on about The Bad Tour, Dangerous, History and Victory (to a certain extent) but Michael was a great performer back then too. Michael was at his most energetic and the most spontaneous on "Triumph". All the brothers were great though, but Michael was especially good in these performances from "Triumph", he had so much energy it's crazy.

Info about The Tour:

Tour Background Information

In 1981, Michael and the Jacksons launched a thirty nine city, forty two date concert tour of the United States to promote the 'Triumph' album. The tour began in Memphis, Tennessee and concluded with four sold out shows in Los Angeles at the Los Angeles Forum. On the tour, the Jacksons performed for over 600,000 fans. The tour had many highlights, including a date at the Atlanta's Omni Arena as a benefit for the Atlanta Children's Foundation, which was set up to solve the horrible murders that were happening at the time. The Jacksons raised and donated $100,000 to the fund while the Triumph tour itself grossed $5.5 million.

When the Jacksons played at New York City's Madison Square Garden, there were many admiring stars in the audience. Besides Katherine Hepburn, who attended the concert with her niece Katherine Houghton, also present were Andy Warhol, Margrt Kidder, Dan Aykroyd, Jane Fonda, Steven Spielberg, Victoria Principal, Andy Gibb, Quincy Jones, Cher, Tatum O'Neal, Lesley Gore, Jamie Lee Curtis and Kirsty McNichol.

A great two-record set album entitled 'The Jacksons Live' was recorded and released to capture the event and released on Epic Records in 1981.

Schedule (Not complete)

July 9th, 1981 : Memphis, Tennesee

July 13th, 1981 : Buffalo, New York

July, 1981 : Atlanta, Georgia

July, 1981 : Atlanta, Georgia

August 1st, 1981 : Washington D.C.

August 2nd, 1981 : Buffalo, New York

August 5th, 1981 : Toronto, Canada

August 12th, 1981 : Atlanta, Georgia

August 15th, 1981 : Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

August 19th, 1981 : New York City, New York

September 8th, 1981 : Kansas City, Missouri

September 10th, 1981 : Denver, Colorado

September 12th, 1981 : Los Angeles, California

September 13th, 1981 : Los Angeles, California

September, 1981 : New York City, New York

September, 1981 : Los Angeles, California

(Source: MJInTheEarly80's.com)

The Best of the Triumph Tour
http://youtube.com/watch?v=h1nVzuyk834&feature=related

Medley
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kw8htVgMNY0&feature=related

Can You Feel It (Great performance!)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_HqZhN9Z16E&feature=related

Off The Wall
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dKc2UoDUPQc&feature=related

The Jacksons clips circa 1979 thru 1981 backstage + concerts (MJ's robot is siiiiiick in this one)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ii-PDlZiZes&feature=related

The Triumph tour (As well as all of Michael's other tours w/his brothers and as a solo artist) really needs to be released on DVD ASAP!!!!!

Last edited:
Speaking of The "Triumph Tour" I came across these nice pics from the tour. If you notice MJ was wearing the "One Glove" look even back then too, but it didn't really catch on until "Thriller". For some reason I wasn't able to find any pics with MJ and his brothers from this tour though, if anyone has any pics of all of them together, post it please!

1t-3.jpg

174-2.jpg

One of my fave pics of MJ :wub:

tri_2-1.jpg

67.jpg

21.jpg

Michael was rockin' on that tour. The papers back then were calling it "The Michael Jackson Show" because he had started to so dominate the stage with his talent and was more and more becoming the center of attention. I wish they would release it too, along with every other tour. It's like a crime that Michael's stage performances haven't been released on DVD. He's the greatest performing artist of all time, for crying out loud, lol. Michael was always the most killer performer, but he really started to hit his stride around this time and onward. Because he'd grown up, his voice and body had fully developed finally.

Last edited:
I saw the Triumph Tour when I was 11 it was my very first concert and a major highlight in life at that time living in Atlanta during that period of the missing and murdered children it was hard and that concert was a lifesaver.

yes! this is my fave tour (besides victory) by the jacksons. The costumes and mjs stage presence was just sickly amazing!

I have been wanting to see this tour in good quality for so long, i wish they would release it on dvd.
To me it is another highlight in Michael's career..

OOOH! I would LOOOOVE for this tour to be released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Triumph and Victory tours are my favorite and I want them to be on DVD soooooooooooo bad!!! My 2 favorite tours!!! *sigh* Michael is just SO magical on stage and I bet if we got to see the tours in their entirety, it would be AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! I bet the Triumph tour was completely magical and out of this world

He's the greatest performing artist of all time, for crying out loud, lol. Michael was always the most killer performer, but he really started to hit his stride around this time and onward. Because he'd grown up, his voice and body had fully developed finally.

Totally agreed! Well said. Michael was really something else on that tour. For the life of me, I can't figure out why pretty much all of his pre-Thriller performance's are so underrated or ignored. Thankfully, Youtube is around though, which gives people the oppurtunity to witness what an incredible Michael has always been, even before he became a huge superstar.

I saw the Triumph Tour when I was 11 it was my very first concert and a major highlight in life at that time living in Atlanta during that period of the missing and murdered children it was hard and that concert was a lifesaver.

Wow, you are so lucky to have seen MJ on that tour! It's very sad however what was going on in ATL at the time. I hope that they eventually caught the killer (s). It was nice of MJ and his brothers to donate some of the money they made from touring tho to that foundation.

Last edited:
Triumph is such a great album. This was the bridge between Off the Wall and Thriller, a great compilation of songs that have that sound of the early 80's which was a great era in R & B and funk music. Michael's vocal maturity is present at a glorious level around then, just pure silk. The Jackson's Live disc is awesome as is the tour. There just doesn't seem to be a great video quality to tour which is disappointing.

My dad went 2 a show in Milwaukee, WI and i love when he tells me how they all left the stage (the jacksons) and they thought it was over and mike appears n a big cloud of smoke on the left stage speaker 4 an enocre of WDAN and how the security guards could bolt the doors so fans without tickets burst through the doors and got 2 see the show..and yes my dad was one of the rowdy teens who helped burst thru the doors lol.

The Triumph tour is one of my favorite tours, ever! I love watching every performance from that tour and wish I could've been there too. The tour made it to my closest city in August of 1981, but unfortunately, I wasn't even a year-old when the tour made it here. So I live vicariously through those who were there, and from the incredible performances from the tour.

I have been wanting to see this tour in good quality for so long, i wish they would release it on dvd.
To me it is another highlight in Michael's career..

yeah me too.I really want to see it!!!

i like the tour..michael was on fire! hope someone leaks a better version of the show..i only have a crappy mpeg :(

Does anyone know is theres a good quality version of the Triumph tour for download? I remember they played some footage of it on a released dvd. Is there any good version at all?

I love the Triumph Tour. I've got this on DVD, but it ends after Lovely One. So I really want to see the full version of Michael performing Don't Stop Till You Get Enough from that tour, and also Working Day & Night and Shake Your Body (Down to The Ground).

Oh yes, I was there too. Those brothers have such a special chemistry together!! A friend of mine (who is not a proclaimed "fan" and who I didn't know during the days of the Triumph concert0 was just last week going on about how great the concert was.

The date of the DC concert isn't correct in the list though and its listed that way in every reference I've seen. It was in the middle of the month and there were 2 SOLD OUT concerts at the Capital Center. If anyone has those exact dates please let me know.

:wub:

I wish Michael would release this on a HQ DVD, I believe it would be on backorder in less than 24hrs. I was only 4yrs old when the tour took place and living in Europe but had my family been in the states we would've attended. But I do thank God that I was here in the states for the Victory and Bad tours.
Michael looked mighty nice in those white pants that he wore during this tour, Jackie also. Michael is a big ball of energy when on stage...

My dad went 2 a show in Milwaukee, WI and i love when he tells me how they all left the stage (the jacksons) and they thought it was over and mike appears n a big cloud of smoke on the left stage speaker 4 an enocre of WDAN and how the security guards could bolt the doors so fans without tickets burst through the doors and got 2 see the show..and yes my dad was one of the rowdy teens who helped burst thru the doors lol.
HA!:clapping:cool story!

I was really too young to remember that era, but you're right I do feel the tour was underrated. I wish that they can give official releases of all the tours. That would be a real treat for fans. Especially the Victory tour. Imagine how nice thease concerts would look it they were digitally remastered?:punk:

HA!:clapping:cool story!

hahahaha thanx,he was just re-telling the story yesterday i wish u guys cud hear him when he talks about it, he gets so excited (can u blame him lol) and man its so cool lol

Back