The Jacksons - Destiny & Triumph Expanded Editions [threads merged]

mjdatabank

Proud Member
The Jacksons' Destiny (1978) and Triumph (1980) Now Expanded Editions!
6/25/2008 5:27:00 PM

In honor of its 30th anniversary, DESTINY, including two bonus tracks of rare 12-inch disco mixes previously unavailable on CD, and TRIUMPH, with three bonus tracks of rare 12-inch mixes also previously unavailable on CD, will both arrive in stores August 12th on Epic/Legacy, a division of SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

The evolution that began in 1976, of the classic Motown teen hitmaking group the Jackson 5 into the independent grown-ups known forever after on Epic Records as the Jacksons – was a transition that did not happen overnight. But there is universal agreement that by the time they released their third album for their new label, 1978’s Destiny (with the worldwide hits “Blame It On The Boogie” and “Shake Your Body”), followed by 1980’s Triumph, the first RIAA platinum album of their career – both LPs self-produced for the first time, and (mainly) self-penned – the transition was complete.

“Three decades after its initial release,” writes Ernest Hardy of Destiny, “it’s still fresher - more potent, more substantive within its sturdy R&B/pop structure - than most of what you hear playing on the radio or streaming on the net today.” In honor of its 30th anniversary, DESTINY, including two bonus tracks of rare 12-inch disco mixes previously unavailable on CD, and TRIUMPH, with three bonus tracks of rare 12-inch mixes also previously unavailable on CD, will both arrive in stores August 12th on Epic/Legacy, a division of SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

DESTINY and TRIUMPH represent the first expanded editions ever issued by Legacy on the Jacksons, from their catalog of seven original studio and live albums on Epic between 1976 (The Jacksons) and 1989 (2300 Jackson Street). They follow the February 2008 release of the two-disc CD+DVD 25th anniversary expanded edition of Michael Jackson’s THRILLER, which has sold over 2 million copies worldwide so far this year. Michael, celebrating his 50th birthday on August 29th, and the Jacksons will be among the focal points of Universal/Motown’s 50th anniversary campaign this fall.

http://www.legacyrecordings.com/News/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsGuid=aae9d0f4-0059-485b-8f27-bdac65e1e236

http://mjdatabank.com/english_version/news/news_main_current.htm

Re: The Jacksons Expanded Versions

uhm.... cool... I guess...

EDIT: Thanx for posting anyway :)

Last edited:

I guess these 2 re-releases will be remastered.... Let's hope they will release the other albums also repacked with some bonustracks.... keep on dreaming

those CD's are really important albums: the maturation of Michael Jackson as an artist.
You should go for them, you will not be disappointed.

those CD's are really important albums: the maturation of Michael Jackson as an artist.
You should go for them, you will not be disappointed.

Yes I know, they are great, I already have them :)
But I'm just getting so sick and tired of all these releases..
I'll probably end up bying them anyway

I have some of the maxi singles already, so I assume they're going to be the same ones. If they are, then they have been on CD before (in Japan). I had this Right On! magazine (I don't know if I still have it or it got thrown out) that came out before the Victory album was released, and it was talking about songs that were recorded for the album. Several of the songs didn't make the album. I don't remember the names, I think one was called Lola. Maybe I'll see if I have the mag somewhere

Maybe these remixes.....? But they said previously unreleased on CD....

http://www.discogs.com/release/669122

1Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) (8:36)Engineer - Michael Barbiero
Remix - John Luongo
2Blame It On The Boogie (6:57)3Heartbreak Hotel (5:41)4Lovely One (4:50)5Can You Feel It (5:58)6Torture (4:52)

I have this CD. The reissues are probably USA, and they don't count a Japanese album as it wasn't released here, except as an import. But still, a couple of the remixes HAVE been on CD B4. But Torture is the album version, not the 12" version. Lovely One and Can You Feel It are the album versions also. A rare "Heartbreak Hotel" on CD, instead of "This Place", lol. I have the Walk Right Now 12". It's a bit different than the album version and has an instrumental on side 2. In this case, I don't think this version has been on CD or the Torture long version with the Jackie ad libs.

Last edited:

Yes I know, they are great, I already have them :)
But I'm just getting so sick and tired of all these releases..
I'll probably end up bying them anyway

I agree with all of the above :yes:

The Jacksons' Destiny (1978) and Triumph (1980) Now Expanded Editions!-Aug re-release

Sony are re-releasing special versions of the 'Triumph ' and 'Destiny' albums, which will include special mixes! As part of the Jacksons 30th anniversary.

Both are my favourite Jacksons albums. I can't wait for this, this I'm really looking forward to, Its gonna be a Jacksons fever this fall!

An article from Sony:

The Jacksons' Destiny (1978) and Triumph (1980) Now Expanded Editions!

6/25/2008 5:27:00 PM

In honor of its 30th anniversary, DESTINY, including two bonus tracks of rare 12-inch disco mixes previously unavailable on CD, and TRIUMPH, with three bonus tracks of rare 12-inch mixes also previously unavailable on CD, will both arrive in stores August 12th on Epic/Legacy, a division of SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

The evolution that began in 1976, of the classic Motown teen hitmaking group the Jackson 5 into the independent grown-ups known forever after on Epic Records as the Jacksons – was a transition that did not happen overnight. But there is universal agreement that by the time they released their third album for their new label, 1978’s Destiny (with the worldwide hits “Blame It On The Boogie” and “Shake Your Body”), followed by 1980’s Triumph, the first RIAA platinum album of their career – both LPs self-produced for the first time, and (mainly) self-penned – the transition was complete.

“Three decades after its initial release,” writes Ernest Hardy of Destiny, “it’s still fresher - more potent, more substantive within its sturdy R&B/pop structure - than most of what you hear playing on the radio or streaming on the net today.” In honor of its 30th anniversary, DESTINY, including two bonus tracks of rare 12-inch disco mixes previously unavailable on CD, and TRIUMPH, with three bonus tracks of rare 12-inch mixes also previously unavailable on CD, will both arrive in stores August 12th on Epic/Legacy, a division of SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

DESTINY and TRIUMPH represent the first expanded editions ever issued by Legacy on the Jacksons, from their catalog of seven original studio and live albums on Epic between 1976 (The Jacksons) and 1989 (2300 Jackson Street). They follow the February 2008 release of the two-disc CD+DVD 25th anniversary expanded edition of Michael Jackson’s THRILLER, which has sold over 2 million copies worldwide so far this year. Michael, celebrating his 50th birthday on August 29th, and the Jacksons will be among the focal points of Universal/Motown’s 50th anniversary campaign this fall.

Re: The Jacksons' Destiny (1978) and Triumph (1980) Now Expanded Editions!-Aug re-release

Great! I'm guessing that these will be remastered.

Re: The Jacksons' Destiny (1978) and Triumph (1980) Now Expanded Editions!-Aug re-release

oooooo im getting in on that! I don't own any of The Jacksons albums yet. I really need them!!!

There should be unreleased tracks on the discs, but oh well....

Glad to hear this! My Destiny CD is worn out, lol, and I never got Triumph so I will be in the store getting them! YAY! :D

I've been waiting for ever for this to happen, so I'm really happy. They can hardly release them without remastering. I hope all fans who don't already own these albums take the opportunity to get them, because they are truly among MJ's best work.

This pisses me off. I just completed my digital versions of these cuts!!! Damn! Why didn't they tell us earlier????:mat::mat:

Great news, I can't wait to get these re-masters. Its be cool of they had new covers or booklets.

Thanks for posting. However there was already a thread in 'Jacksons family news' forum. I'm going to merge threads. :yes:

http://mjdatabank.com/english_version/news/news_main_current.htm

UPDATE:

Below are the tracklistings of the 2 CD's PLUS the US Press Release.

Download the Press Release (PDF)

DESTINY

Blame It On The Boogie

Push Me Away

Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground

Destiny

Bless His Soul

All Night Dancing

That's What You Get (For Being Polite)

[BONUS TRACKS]

Blame It On The Boogie (John Luongo Mix)

Shake Your Body (John Luongo Mix)

TRIUMPH

Can You Feel it

Lovely One

Your Ways

Everybody

This Place Hotel

Time waits For No One

Walk Right Now

Give It Up

Wondering Who

[BONUS TRACKS]

This Place Hotel (Single Version)

Walk Right Now (John Luongo Mix)

Walk Right Now (John Luongo Instrumental Mix)

NOTE: Remixes of Blame It On The Boogie, Shake Your Body et Walk Right Now have bene previously released on some rare CD's (The Jacksons: The Best Remixes [Japanese CD japonais ESCA 5040 - 1989, Blame It On The Boogie and Shake Your Body]; European Mixed Masters 3inch CD [EPC 651 656 3 - 1988, Walk Right Now]).

PRESS RELEASE PDF

mjdbnews1052.jpg

mjdbnews1053.jpg

Source: Sony BMG / MJ data bank

This news can be reposted with a credit to MJ data bank

Last edited:

oh that's a great idea from Sony

waiting for them

What's the difference between the single version and the album version of This Place Hotel?

I think I may pick these up. The bonus tracks sound interesting.

No Victory album though?

What's the difference between the single version and the album version of This Place Hotel?
I haven't heard the single version since the original release, I think it just leaves off the slow part at the end with the strings.

great news, i'll buy them!especially triuph, is one of my favorite albums!

hae these 12 inch versions been avalible before

This is some good news.. I have these remixes already, but only on vinyl, cool to see Epic understands it is time to re-release 'm on cd !! I will buy these two cd's for sure!!

Back