The Jacksons to get a new Museum in Gary, Indiana? COOL!!

LindaC781

Proud Member
Joe Jackson endorses family museum proposal

July 23, 2008
From: http://www.post-trib.com/news/1069545,gjackson.article

By Jon Seidel Post-Tribune staff writer

GARY -- Joe Jackson, father of Michael and Janet Jackson, came home for the first time in several years Tuesday and he gave his blessing to the latest plan to build a museum honoring him and his famous family.

It's an idea that Mayor Rudy Clay concedes is in its earliest stages and one that has yet to be approved by any other members of the Jackson family.

"My goal is to have them all approve it," Joel Rodriguez, a special assistant to the mayor, said.

Jackson is the patriarch of the legendary Jackson 5 band, which auditioned for Motown Records 40 years ago today. The family grew up in a small home at 2300 Jackson St. in Gary.

Jackson's visit began at City Hall, where he participated in a roundtable discussion with Clay and announced his support for a Jackson Family museum.

"It's a great pleasure for me to be here and see all of this going on," Jackson said.

David Loeb of Illinois-based Land Partners LLC and Chuck Hamburg of Chicago-based Creative Hospitality Associates are among the developers planning the museum. Hamburg is also a professor at Roosevelt University in Chicago.

Rodriguez said their museum would be built on a five-acre parcel at 2600 Grant St., on land owned by the city near Interstate 80/94 and the former County Market grocery store.

Clay said he wouldn't give the land to the developers for free, but Rodriguez said it might be worthwhile for the city to consider a donation. "This is something that the city of Gary definitely needs," Rodriguez said.

The idea of a Jackson Family museum has been tossed around in Gary before. In the 1990s, a group led by then-Mayor Thomas Barnes said every member of the Jackson Family but Michael agreed in principle to co-sponsor an entertainment center and museum.

That project, which would have been located at Interstates 65 and 94, died after former Mayor Scott King took office.

Standing outside Dusties Southern Style Buffet on Tuesday, Jackson said the city doesn't need the approval of any of his children to build the museum.

"I'm Joe Jackson," he said. "I don't need them to approve anything."

Loeb said Joe Jackson's support will be crucial to the new museum plan, but he said several decisions need to be made in the next few months. No date, he said, has been set for groundbreaking or completion.

"We've got a lot to do in a short period of time," Loeb said.

Rodriguez also said the city hasn't verified that Loeb and Hamburg have the necessary funding to build such a museum.

"They're private investors," Loeb said of the people financing the project. "That's all I'm going to tell you."

Sketches of the proposed building include a theater and an outdoor LED screen facing I-80/94. There is also talk of moving the Jacksons' former home from 2300 Jackson St. to the site of the museum.

Joe Jackson, who is promoting his new reality show, stood outside that home Tuesday. He helped the mayor unveil an honorary street sign naming 23rd Avenue "2300 Jackson Street" and Jackson Street "Jackson Family Boulevard."

Cameras were rolling during the event, and a producer for Jackson's show "Meet Joe Jackson" said video from his visit to Gary might be included in an episode.

Clay declared Tuesday "Joe Jackson Day," and he gave Jackson a key to the city.

"This key will open the door to the Jackson Museum," Clay said.

Contact Jon Seidel at 881-3148 or jseidel@post-trib.com. Comment on this story at www.post-trib.com.

i would even travel to Gary to see it. Its time they honoured Michael there.

Isn't it?? I think we should cherish and preserve the legacy that is the Jackson Family. They have done so much for today's popular music - Michael, Jermaine, and the rest of the family - they could have a whole wing devoted to Janet too!!

Last edited:
we could have an MJJC visit :D

Hell yeah!!

I could see this now. They could have a multi-media cultural center, with each wing devoted to a prominent member of the group - A Michael Wing with videos playing continuously....of course, no mention of trials or any other stuff that is tabloid-based. They could have a Janet wing, complete with costumes and animated robots dressed like Janet - and videos...they could have a Jermaine wing, with costumes, and media. I could envision that some times during the course of a year, Michael could be a visiting professor of Michaelology...complete with his theory about song development....LOL! It would be SUPER!!

That's wonderful news..thanks Linda!! and to answer the MJ question.. HECK YEAH i would go, well try to.:D

Could you imagine?? This could only be the beginning of a whole NEW Jackson Family era - this could be both a museum AND song-writing institute!! With Michael holding creative workshops, Janet having a dance school, Jermaine holding creative song-writing workshops...and a yearly FESTIVAL of original song-writing!! This would be so awesome...

ya and I like how they named that old street.. Jackson Family BLVD..

So now there old house in Gary is on the corner of..

Jackson Street and Jackson Family Blvd... :)

Last edited:
Isn't it?? I think we should cherish and preserve the legacy that is the Jackson Family. They have done so much for today's popular music - Michael, Jermaine, and the rest of the family - they could have a whole wing devoted to Janet too!!
:clapping::clapping::clapping:I would go there to visit it myself.:D I hope this dream come true.

ya and I like how they named that old street.. Jackson Family BLVD..

So now there old house in Gary is on the corner of..

Jackson Street and Jackson Family Blvd... :)
I like that too, cause now we know the street is definately named after the Jacksons. Also, the Jacksons put Gary on the map, so they should have long honoured them.

Back