Do you think anyone can be bigger then Michael Jackson is / was ?

hyptronicmusic

Proud Member
Hi there,

Do you think their will be an singer/performer/producer/musician that can be bigger then M.J. is / was ?
Be honest.

Take Care

Nope. One reason being that the music business is so different today. And then you have the fact that, although I do enjoy some of today's new acts, they don't have the REAL talent necessary to have a long lasting career.

I equate it to eating fast food: you enjoy the meal while you're eating it, but once the meal is over, it's easily forgotten!

welcome to the forum, and my answer is "not any time soon", though it's possible that someone can again achieve what people never thought would precede Elvis. and it's not necessarily "bigger than".

but the internet has opened up the international music community for its people to access music within their own niche and without needing a Pop market to guide them. that's why i said not any time soon, but never say never.

Nope. One reason being that the music business is so different today. And then you have the fact that, although I do enjoy some of today's new acts, they don't have the REAL talent necessary to have a long lasting career.

I equate it to eating fast food: you enjoy the meal while you're eating it, but once the meal is over, it's easily forgotten!

I like your statement .
That's nothing but the truth
I wonder if you can give me some of the reasons ( what artist of today are missing ) that they're so easy to forget

Nope. One reason being that the music business is so different today. And then you have the fact that, although I do enjoy some of today's new acts, they don't have the REAL talent necessary to have a long lasting career
the biggest of these current acts, Amy Winehouse, has achieved a feat on the charts and album sales (and awards) that people never thought it possible in this current industry situation.

welcome to the forum, and my answer is "not any time soon", though it's possible that someone can again achieve what people never thought would precede Elvis. and it's not necessarily "bigger than".

but the internet has opened up the international music community for its people to access music within their own niche and without needing a Pop market to guide them. that's why i said not any time soon, but never say never.

I definitely think that someone could come along eventually, but like you said. Not for awhile. But boy, if some well rounded artist showed up and had a plan to corner the digital music scene, well then bring him/her in please!

I also think to have the stature that Michael had, or to try to surpass him would probably mean having a childhood career to start off with. Then making that successful transformation to adult artist. This person would have to sacrifice a lot of his life to match up to Michael. But of course there are exceptions...like The Beatles. They werent childhood stars and had a wonderful music career.

This new artist would def. have to have the total package. Singing, dancing, acting skills, musicianship skills, and basically dabble a little bit in everything that Hollywood has to offer.

the biggest of these current acts, Amy Winehouse, has achieved a feat on the charts and album sales (and awards) that people never thought would possible in this current industry situation.

Yes, and I adore dear Amy, but how LONG do you think Amy will be around? Seriously. This topic is about an artist having a LONG career and if Amy doesn't clean up her act, not only will she no longer have a career, she won't have a life! (Just my opinion.)

Last edited:
Chris Brown

Justin Timberlake

Usher

Robbie Williams

can.................

never be bigger then michael

Yes, and I adore dear Amy, but how LONG do you think Amy will be around? Seriously. This topic is about an artist having a LONG career and if Amy doesn't clean up her act, not only will she no longer have a career, she won't have a life!
personal life aside, she certainly has (and had) the raw, multifaceted talent to achieve this feat and now working on a new album that should continue her longetivity.

but my point wasn't that she could be the next coming of a megaultrasuperstar but that i still have faith in the industry, because what she did from 2006-2009 with one album is very impressive. and more impressive is her (and Ronson's) trend-setting that new acts are following.

so it's just an example of why we should the keep faith in the business, but definitely not excusing the majority of the acts that you made a point about; that i agree with you on.

i don't know.. so far no, hopefully so.

people keep saying how famous Amy winehouse, chris brown and all these acts are but truth is they aren't half as famous as MJ.
I've kept saying..
You could rarely find anyone on earth who doesn't know the name 'Michael Jackson'. His fame penetrates every corner of the earth.

To be as big as Michael, you would have to be known by 99.9% of the world's population and that's never happened before him and it hasn't happened since. The closest person to Michael in terms of recongntion is Muhammad Ali. No other individual person is as well known or ever has been. So, no, I don't think so and I definitly don't think that there can ever be anyone bigger, because you would have to have 100% of the world population know who you are for that to happen, and that's technically impossible. It's also less likely anyone will reach that status of fame when you consider that since Michael and Madonna, there hasn't been any legitimate superstars. The atmosphere today just simply isn't condusive of it.

Michael has a unique blend of unparalleled talent, an enigmatic personality, and pure genius. That type of blend so rarely occures, people don't understand how special it is when it does.

Michael has a unique blend of unparalleled talent, an enigmatic personality, and pure genius. That type of blend so rarely occures, people don't understand how special it is when it does.

And if I may add one more thing to your comment.

Love him or hate him, folks are just plain curious when it comes to MJ. Aside from the music and the dancing, folks want to know what he's doing, where he's doing it and who he's doing it with. LOL! On top of the music he has this curiosity factor that I don't think other artist have.

Yeah, because people don't totally understand him, while that breeds comtempt and fear, it also breeds extreme curitosity and facsination. He's different, in terms of perception, and that largely factors in to his fame.

To be as big as Michael, you would have to be known by 99.9% of the world's population and that's never happened before him and it hasn't happened since. The closest person to Michael in terms of recongntion is Muhammad Ali. No other individual person is as well known or ever has been. So, no, I don't think so and I definitly don't think that there can ever be anyone bigger, because you would have to have 100% of the world population know who you are for that to happen, and that's technically impossible. It's also less likely anyone will reach that status of fame when you consider that since Michael and Madonna, there hasn't been any legitimate superstars. The atmosphere today just simply isn't condusive of it.

I understand your point but wasn't my question .
His name is known because of what he did that was and is still shocking ; that includes his appereances in the media for MJ as a person himself ; the fact he turned from black to white is probably one of the biggest reasons why he is worldwide known because nobody ever saw that before and I believe he has vitiligo so I'm not hating.
But that wasn't really my question ; and Muhammed Ali is a diss to MJ he isn't that popular in comparing with MJ What you should've said was Coca Cola .

My question was do you think anyone can be bigger then what he did ( I mean his music , videos , tours , etc... )
That's what I'm interested in xD

Take Care

Of course there can be someone bigger. Who says there isn't now? Madonna is a cultural worldwide artist. Bruce Springsteen sells out stadiums on a consistant basis. Mariah has more number one songs. There are a number of successful artists.

I always thought that Lauryn Hill was on her way, but she got sidetracked. Aaliyah was about to explode. Beyonce does it all...singing, dancing, performing.....so there are many potential candidates for that position. Chris Brown & Justin are popular....It all depends on your perception of bigger.

However, in my honest opinion, there will never be another celebrity that can create the excitement, curiousity, fascination, anticipation and exhileration that only the King of Pop can bring. Michael has the ability to cause chaos wherever he goes. Maybe I'm just saying that because I'm a fan. I'm sure Prince fans will disagree tho. LOL

Of course there can be someone bigger. Who says there isn't now? Madonna is a cultural worldwide artist. Bruce Springsteen sells out stadiums on a consistant basis. Mariah has more number one songs. There are a number of successful artists.

I always thought that Lauryn Hill was on her way, but she got sidetracked. Aaliyah was about to explode. Beyonce does it all...singing, dancing, performing.....so there are many potential candidates for that position. Chris Brown & Justin are popular....It all depends on your perception of bigger.

However, in my honest opinion, there will never be another celebrity that can create the excitement, curiousity, fascination, anticipation and exhileration that only the King of Pop can bring. Michael has the ability to cause chaos wherever he goes. Maybe I'm just saying that because I'm a fan. I'm sure Prince fans will disagree tho. LOL

Prince fans just have to understand that MJ is more succesfull and MJ took the shine of Prince during the 80's and 90's .

However, in my honest opinion, there will never be another celebrity that can create the excitement, curiousity, fascination, anticipation and exhileration that only the King of Pop can bring.

A perfect example for this one is the entrance of the Dangerous Tour when he jumps out off the stage with the fireworks and he's just standing on the stage just chilling while the audience starts flippin' out

I understand your point but wasn't my question .
His name is known because of what he did that was and is still shocking ; that includes his appereances in the media for MJ as a person himself ; the fact he turned from black to white is probably one of the biggest reasons why he is worldwide known because nobody ever saw that before and I believe he has vitiligo so I'm not hating.
But that wasn't really my question ; and Muhammed Ali is a diss to MJ he isn't that popular in comparing with MJ What you should've said was Coca Cola .

My question was do you think anyone can be bigger then what he did ( I mean his music , videos , tours , etc... )
That's what I'm interested in xD

Take Care

Muhammad Ali is listed as the second most famous person on earth, after Michael, so no, that's not a diss.

And your question seemed to be referring to his level of fame, which by the way niether Madonna, Bruce Sprinsteen, or any other such person listed here, has achieved. Musically, I believe there is the pontential for someone to achieve what Michael has. But I won't see it in my lifetime I don't believe. Michael is freakishly talented, and people comparing the likes of Justin Timberlake and Chris Brown to him shows a total lack of understanding for what Michael is and what he is capable of. There's never been a world class vocalist who is also a world class dancer, performing artist and musical composer at the same time. Michael is unique.

To be honest, I seriously don't.
We live in a different time now... even music videos aren't really needed anymore. All people do is go online get a song... and youtube. No one has epic videos or huge iconic statuses anymore... although people love to think they do. Its like the video killed the radio star, and now the internet killed the video star. To me the industry lacks creativity... its losing money so they exploit their artists, making album after album while they are still young and hot, just hoping for them to get that hot popstar status.
I think the generation of today have seen how big artists can get, and think it will come easy. People are too wrapped around their ego and how they appear to others to even tap into themselves to find that creativity. Nothing really comes from within anymore, so that likability is somewhat gone, and everything that is going on now, is nothing but a poor impersonation of something that has already been.

So no, I don't think there will be another huge popstar.

Of course there can be someone bigger.

i agree with both axter and tupacavelli. there will always be someone bigger but not anytime soon. the music industry has evolved primarily bec. people's habit of listening to music has changed. technology is to blame. we all know that sales are down and the easy access of songs on the net does not help it either.

in short, that someone has to have tremendous appeal ,a lot of understanding of the current culture and shld be a real visionary to even just duplicate what michael has achieved. michael is a tough act to follow. and maybe, just maybe the only person who could top michael is....himself!

i agree with both axter and tupacavelli. there will always be someone bigger but not anytime soon. the music industry has evolved primarily bec. people's habit of listening to music has changed. technology is to blame. we all know that sales are down and the easy access of songs on the net does not help it either.

in short, that someone has to have tremendous appeal ,a lot of understanding of the current culture and shld be a real visionary to even just duplicate what michael has achieved. michael is a tough act to follow. and maybe, just maybe the only person who could top michael is....himself!

lol..you seem to give both opinions here.

but anyway...my answer is...no. you can't be bigger than MJ is.

Last edited:
I think one day in the future there will be someone that will be as big as Michael and Elvis. But someone said that Michael Jackson is one of the last of the great song and dance men and I think that is very true. If were talking about the past then there is people just as big or bigger than Michael, think of Shakespeare, Mozart, Beethoven, Jesus and Martain Luther King

I think one day in the future there will be someone that will be as big as Michael and Elvis. But someone said that Michael Jackson is one of the last of the great song and dance men and I think that is very true. If were talking about the past then there is people just as big or bigger than Michael, think of Shakespeare, Mozart, Beethoven, Jesus and Martain Luther King

i wasn't counting Jesus in this mix. i was speaking of regular human beings.

of course there will be someone as big as mj. Times are changing. just because music industry is not doing very well at this moment, many thing can happen.

many people don´t se mj as the biggest artist. I guess it´s how you see it. to me he is the biggest, but not always the best musicaly.

Back