BMI Honors The Jacksons at Urban Awards in Los Angeles

MsMo

Proud Member
ALeqM5i9GmLQukQ-Xq5lOa3Y35plOhf8mA

(AP Photo/Matt Sayles)
From left, Tito Jackson, Jackie Jackson, Marlon Jackson, and Randy Jackson, of the The Jacksons, arrive at the 8th annual BMI Urban Awards in Beverly Hills, Calif. on Thursday, Sept. 4, 2008.
Jacksons reunite at BMI Urban Awards

By DERRIK J. LANG – 6 hours ago
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Jacksons were crowned icons at the BMI Urban Awards, but the King of Pop was an absentee.
Janet Jackson presented her music-making brothers — Michael, Tito, Jackie, Marlon, Jermaine and Randy — with the lifetime achievement BMI Icon award following a musical tribute at the award show celebrating R&B and hip-hop's top hitmakers. While Tito, Jackie, Marlon and Randy reunited Thursday to accept the award, Jermaine and Michael didn't attend the Wilshire Theatre ceremony.

Where was the Moonwalker?

"I don't know," Marlon told The Associated Press before the show. "I think he's in Egypt riding a camel or something."

The Jackson Five — which included Michael along with Marlon, Jackie, Tito and Jermaine — was a groundbreaking, best-selling act that debuted on the 1969 album "Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5." The group simply became the Jacksons after leaving Motown in 1976, replacing Jermaine with Randy. They continued their multiplatinum success with such hits as "ABC" and "I Want You Back."

"It's a great honor to know your music influenced a generation," said Tito. "We're very proud of this moment."

The tribute kicked off with dance troupe Jabbawockeez performing a funky "Dancing Machine" routine. Music group ONE sang "I Want You Back." JoJo and Lloyd partnered on "I'll Be There" before Mario unleashed a high-energy rendition of "Heartbreak Hotel" and Keri Hilson crooned "Who's Loving You." The finale featured Mario, Bobby Valentino, Lloyd and Ray J teaming up for "Never Can Say Goodbye."

Before presenting her brothers with the award, Janet said her family was her greatest commodity and that she was proud to salute her siblings for their accomplishments in the music industry.

Following the acceptance of the icon award, the Jackson brothers posed on stage for photos with father Joseph, mother Katherine and sisters Janet, LaToya and Rebbie. The Jacksons did not perform.

BMI — Broadcast Music Inc. — is a performing rights organization that collects license fees on behalf of its songwriters, composers and music publishers and distributes them as royalties to those members whose works have been performed.

AP

September 5, 2008
BMI Honors The Jacksons at Urban Awards in Los Angeles

BMI saluted the world’s premier r&b, rap and hip-hop songwriters, producers and publishers September 4 at its Urban Awards. BMI President & CEO Del Bryant and Vice President, Writer/Publisher Relations, Atlanta Catherine Brewton hosted the annual ceremony at the Wilshire Theatre in Beverly Hills.

One of pop music’s most influential quintets, The Jacksons blazed a trail for r&b and pop music, creating a sound and musical image that is emulated to this day. Hailing from Gary, Indiana, and formed in 1966, the Jackson brothers—Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, Michael and, joining in 1976, younger brother Randy—were a true American success story, transcending race and redefining the sound of pop and r&b music. They were the first group to have their first four singles hit no. 1, and they remain one of the most globally influential pop and r&b groups in history. The Jackson 5 were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997. In addition to being premier recording and performing artists, the Jacksons wrote multiple hits, including the ’80s “Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground),” “2300 Jackson Street,” “Can You Feel It,” and “State of Shock.”

BMI News

I love and respect the Jacksons so much. God bless them. Mrs Jackson is so sweet :D

Back