September 9 News and Mentionings - Steven Ivory backstage with James Brown and MJ / Not dating Pam

mariemarie

Guests
Hello everyone. Check out the article "Star Time Dress Code". A nice and funny read.
In other news, there are some reports about Michael Jackson's underwear beeing for sale (you know the ones. From 03) Lets see how long it will take until the media crab a hold on this story. In the meantime, I'm still thrilled about yesterdays news about the fact that his album, "King of Pop", is doing so well in the charts. Imagine if it was all new songs? Think about that for a sec. Number one all over. Yay!!

Mentionings

Star Time Dress Code

They were flat and off key. I expected that. Musically, things aren't what they used to be.

But for a platinum act to take the stage looking as if they'd just traipsed in from McDonald's is just wrong. Call me old fashioned, but sagging jeans and designer sneakers, however coordinated, don't cut it.
If there is something I regret nearly as much as the sad fate of modern black music, it is the state of the black performer's onstage fashion. Even in this age of Keeping It Real, there ought to be a modicum of classic Showtime. Pop star style has gone to the dogs--spelled d-a-w-g-s.

“A real star should always dress like somebody that someone would pay to see," said James Brown--a man who, in his meager professional beginnings, was not above driving his Cadillac, unequipped with air conditioning, with all the windows up in the dead of summer. That Mr. Dynamite couldn't afford factory air was nobody's business.

The King of Soul's antics were a tad extreme perhaps, but the difference between you and I and a real pop star should be some sequin, damn it--something unavailable to the average off-the-rack Joe that is either stunningly elegant, breathtakingly funky or somewhere in between. It's called "show business."

Obviously, with all the branding going on among today's business-savvy performers, there is plenty "business" underway. However, never have so many folk hawking clothing lines been so tackily dressed. In the early '70s concerts of my youth, the music was only half the show. The threads made up the other half.

With bated breath, we waited to see in what outfits the Jackson 5 would take the stage. Shimmering under the lights in white, the Temptations looked ten feet tall.

At R&B concerts, the audience itself would be dressed to the nines: deep purple leisure suits, royal blue floor length coats and hot pink hot pants against skin dark as the night. An entire paycheck might be spent having clothes custom-made. An ensemble would be rescued, finally, from that goods purgatory called layaway, in order to participate in the impromptu fashion show that enviably went down when house lights came up at intermission.

This prideful exhibition wasn't relegated merely to pop music concerts; this was who we used to be. Folks dressed up to travel--by Greyhound; on a Santa Fe train; sitting, clean as the Board of Health, on an airplane for four and a half hours. In Coach. You'd stroll down the ramp into the arms of waiting relatives, weary, but sharp as a tack.
We used to honor the act of Sunday worship by dressing for the occasion. Today, dressing up, like garden-variety manners and respect, is more loosely defined.
Not every performer has forfeited his right and obligation to threaded charisma and panache. Take, for example, a man who, for most of his three decades in the public eye, has known no Casual Fridays: Prince.
Some years ago in Minneapolis, while waiting for the superstar to arrive for an interview at his Paisley Park headquarters, I wandered about the complex until coming upon a room where two seamstresses toiled diligently among a work space of boldly colored fabrics, dramatic sketches and a patient mannequin.

"So THIS is where Prince's costumes are made," I mused aloud. To which one of the women, requisite measuring tape hanging from her neck and peering over reading glasses resting on the bulb of her nose, replied with nonchalance, "We don't use the C word here. Prince dresses like this everyday."

Yep. And Prince is just the way I want my stars to look: rocking the hell out of something most of us wouldn't be caught dead in. He's not supposed to look like us. He is a star.

Then again, in the end, style, no matter who you are, is ultimately a matter of personal taste.

Case in point: One evening in the mid '80s, I was backstage at a San Fernando Valley nightclub where James Brown had just performed, when a bodyguard-flanked Michael Jackson, at the zenith of his superstardom, blew in to pay respects to his idol.

The two icons hugged, after which Mr. Brown, stepping back to admire his most famous student, observed MJ's trademark black high water tuxedo pants and temporarily lost his wide smile. "You need to talk your tailor, Mike," Mr. Brown said, concerned. "He's got you floodin, brother."

Jackson and everyone else in the room immediately burst into raucous laughter. But I think the Godfather was serious.

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur46900.cfm

People of all colors should vote for Barack Obama

In November, which is only a month and some days ahead from now, is Election Day. On this day, every black man and woman 18 and older should cast their vote. Those who are not registered should go and do so.
Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Harriet Tubman, even Michael Jackson made history of some kind. But never in all of history, both here and abroad, has there been any black man to impact the people, all people, as Barack Obama has and will have on election night of 2008.

I say this because all television sets will be turned on as millions or billions watch this “new” type of black man make his mark as the first black man ever to become president of the United States of America; a new America that will unite all people, not just the American people, but those of many countries, especially those at war.
I believe that this new change will bring about more jobs, more and new opportunities for all people, better health care benefits, better schools and teachers, better relationships with other countries.
I am not just asking that only the “black” people vote, but that everyone who wishes to be counted and treated as an American citizen vote for Barack Obama.

Election Day will be a day when every man and every woman, no matter how old or what race they are, will witness history being made, for never in my father's time nor my mother's time would they have ever dreamed of such a time to come.
So remember to go out and register those who are not, and everyone go out and vote in November 2008.

http://www.auburnpub.com/articles/2008/09/08/opinion/letters/letters02.txt

Dancing About Architecture

It’s a violence on stage special featuring Noel Gallagher, Jay Reatard and Kurt Cobain. Thoughts on the new TV On The Radio album. Sufjan Stevens, Bruce Springsteen, The Flaming Lips and more.

It's with all that in mind that I write that Dear Science might just be the best album I've heard all year. A sprawling affair that sees a band who have always been fearless about dipping their collective toes into a myriad of styles really push themselves into areas that they've not explored before. The preview track "Golden Age" that they put up on their website in mid August hinted a little at Off The Wall era Michael Jackson and the rest of the album shows that that wasn't just a little diversion that allowed the band to have a little experimental fun and throw their fanbase for a loop before they returned to their familiar free jazz and doo wop influenced brand of indie. They've fully embraced the funk on Dear Science and in doing so have come up with an odd mix of danceable riffs and beats set on top of droning, washed out synths.

http://www.411mania.com/music/columns/84827

Jay Sean to Release Brand New Single

Jay Sean is set to release a brand new single and this one's not even on the album. Jay's next single is a straight up club banger that was produced by NYC's J Remy (the man behind "Murder") and Bobby Bass, as well as the UK's Alan Sampson ("Ride It," "Stay" and "Maybe"). J Remy tells us the track was done in the middle of summer as Jay came to him wanting to record something DJs can spin at the clubs.

"It shows a definite progression for Jay. It takes a step towards a more global sound," said Remy. The track features elements of Michael Jackson, and there's actually a funny story behind that. It seems all throughout the making of "My Own Way," Jay wanted to create tracks with a Michael Jackson influence, but J Remy kept warning him not to. And then came this track, to which Remy said, "Okay, here's your Michael Jackson."
Hmm... a brand new single? Does that mean a re-release of "My Own Way" is in the works? We'll find out soon and the track is set to release in a few weeks and we'll have the first listen for you very soon as well!

http://www.desihits.com/blog/article/jay-sean-to-release-brand-new-single-20080908/

AC/DC on the Aria chart

After their first single in approximately 58 years, Rock'n'Roll Train was "leaked" - via excitable fans who offered their finest a cappella versions of the riff, or creating po-mo performance art akin to Borat playing Andy Capp in a teenager's bedroom - anticipation for AC/DC's new record (which has spent a similarly long time coming) Black Ice was, it's safe to say, rating around the "ridiculously" mark on the 'Just How Anticipated Is This Highly Anticipated Release?'-O-Meter. So high, in fact, that its imminent release - plus a bunch of reissues - has sent AC/DC into the record books as being the first band to have six albums in the ARIA Top 50 albums chart at any one time. Take that, ABBA!

Suck on it, Elvis! It's good to see that AC/DC fans remain a discerning lot, too, with the Bon era (i.e. the "real" AC/DC) represented strongly. The band also fill the top two spots in the DVD chart, so now they just need to do a Michael Jackson and rerelease the singles and domination across all media will be assured, and then the machines will inherit the earth. Or something.

http://www.defamer.com.au/2008/09/t...smiles_on_the_aria_chart_well_some_of_it.html

[/center][/center]Today in[/center]
Michael Jackson History

1992 - A live performance by Michael Jackson was broadcast via satellite to the ninth annual MTV Video Music Awards. Jackson performed the song "Black and White."

1995 - Michael Jackson's single "You Are Not Alone" hit #1 in the U.

Last edited:
Re: September 9 News and Mentionings - Steven Ivory backstage with James Brown and Michael Jackson

thank you for the news

Re: September 9 News and Mentionings - Steven Ivory backstage with James Brown and Michael Jackson

cheers for the interesting pieces there, Marie.

People of all colors should vote for Barack Obama

In November, which is only a month and some days ahead from now, is Election Day. On this day, every black man and woman 18 and older should cast their vote. Those who are not registered should go and do so.
Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Harriet Tubman, even Michael Jackson made history of some kind. But never in all of history, both here and abroad, has there been any black man to impact the people, all people, as Barack Obama has and will have on election night of 2008.
off topic, but i think that's a false statement made for the sake of (or as a result of) hype. Dr. King and his contemporaries who helped with the civil rights movement impacted many people around the world.

as for a "black man to impact all people" (based on skin colour alone), Muhammed Ali and Michael Jackson are right up there in the global scene.

i hate it when some Americans talk as if the USA is the only place inhabited by people in the universe.
f_laugh.gif

Thanks for this, Marie.

"You need to talk your tailor, Mike," Mr. Brown said, concerned. "He's got you floodin, brother."

That is funny. I had to read it twice so I can get the "joke". Very cute and interesting story.

At R&B concerts, the audience itself would be dressed to the nines[/b[: deep purple leisure suits, royal blue floor length coats and hot pink hot pants against skin dark as the night. An entire paycheck might be spent having clothes custom-made. An ensemble would be rescued, finally, from that goods purgatory called layaway, in order to participate in the impromptu fashion show that enviably went down when house lights came up at intermission.

That's for sure, lol. Check out the concert movie Wattstax, particularly the part where Johnnie Taylor is singing in a club. Pimp suits galore! In Los Angeles in the summer, lol.

off topic, but i think that's a false statement made for the sake of (or as a result of) hype. Dr. King and his contemporaries who helped with the civil rights movement impacted many people around the world.

as for a "black man to impact all people" (based on skin colour alone), Muhammed Ali and Michael Jackson are right up there in the global scene.

i hate it when some Americans talk as if the USA is the only place inhabited by people in the universe.
f_laugh.gif

You are soooooooooo unbelievably right!

But never in all of history, both here and abroad, has there been any black man to impact the people, all people, as Barack Obama has and will have on election night of 2008.

That's just plain false. Like arXter pointed out, Michael Jackson and Muhammad Ali are no doubt more influential and certainly more well known then Barak (overhyped) Obama. As well as Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., etc... There are plenty of black figures in history who could easily outrank Obama in terms of world wide influence and importance. In fact, they're utterly ignorant if they don't see that without people like Michael and Ali, Obama probably wouldn't have had the opportunity he has today.

Flipping heck, dude has the power to change politics nationally and internationally, and slight affect on the worlds people, but somehow people respond to music much more (whos the musician?)

That's just plain false. Like arXter pointed out, Michael Jackson and Muhammad Ali are no doubt more influential and certainly more well known then Barak (overhyped) Obama. As well as Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., etc... There are plenty of black figures in history who could easily outrank Obama in terms of world wide influence and importance.
barring some people in the Middle-East and Europe who want to see Obama change a few things in the White House that actually concerns the rest of the world,,,, he's really not that adored or talked about as much in other places (nor will be so) unlike those two leading figures we all know and love.

again he's politically tainted (so is Mandela), and after all Obama's looking to take on one of the world's most unpopular titles lol (sorry, yanks :p).

Every person in a position of leadership has the ability to change national and international policy, not just Obama, but like I always say, those things are fleeting and fickle and change with the changing of the gaurd. Music and a person's ability to touch people emotionally, is far more impactful and important then politics, because those things last forever.

barring some people in the Middle-East and Europe who want to see Obama change a few things in the White House that actually concerns the rest of the world,,,, he's really not that adored or talked about as much in other places (nor will be so) unlike those two leading figures we all know and love.

again he's politically tainted (so is Mandela), and after all Obama's looking to take on one of the world's most unpopular titles lol (sorry, yanks :p).

And that's just the plain truth, lol. All people in a position of political power are tainted it would seem, lol. They don't connect with people in any kind of emotional way, that's just the reality.

Thanks for the news :).

f_laugh.gif

THANK YOU! :clapping: The nerve of some people. I like Obama too but Ali and Jackson kicks his a$$ in the global impact department.

LOL @ the James Brown story. James was serious about people looking SHARP!

Flipping heck, dude has the power to change politics nationally and internationally, and slight affect on the worlds people, but somehow people respond to music much more (whos the musician?)

I don't know who he is but sources say he wears a fedora, a white glove and moonwalks wearing some weird red leather jacket with zippers all around it, grabbing his crotch, yelling "hee-hee" and "SHAMON!"

Music makes the world go around, hun. :moonwalk

Timmy and arXter, you guys are my heros, lol.

That is very true. Everyone in the world knows who MJ and Ali are. Everyone in the world knows who MLK Jr. was. As for everyone in the world who knows Barack - well, in America, Europe, etc. knows who he is, but I don't know about the global impact until he becomes president. Whether Obama is running for a unpopular title, he can change it and make it popular. I do not think that Barack is "overhyped" I think that he is talked about because he is running for president and he is a black man running for president. Two things together never happened before. So, if he is "hyped", he is "hyped" for a reason. MJ was "hyped". Everyone has their share of being "hyped". What is wrong with that? I think the person who wrote the article was trying to look at it as a political point of view than a pop culture point of view. However, if that was what the writer was trying to do, then he shouldn't have mentioned Michael's or Ali's name.

then Barak

It is B-A-R-A-C-K. Before you try to lower someone because what he can do for the world is not as big as Michael's learn how to spell the name right. I mean, yeah, you made some points, but misspelling the person's name, probably on purpose, shows your character. Obama could make a huge impact, globally, maybe even as big as MJ's and Ali's, if he is elected and becomes president. He is not there yet.

Tomorrow, the dirty underwear of Michael Jackson will be auctioned. A white, Calvin Klein underpants will be offered with a starting price of, hold on to your underpants, one million dollar.

The underpants didn't just fall out of Jacksons laundry basket. It was used as evidence in 2003 in the child-molestation trial. They say they found some DNA of Jackson on the underpants. He was vindicated.

Who doesn't like other people's dirty laundry, can bid on a letter that Jackson wrote to his ex-wife Lisa Marie Presley. In the letter, he explains why he wants to end the marriage.

Yeah, you should move it to the tabloid trash section. All I have to say is how they know it is Mikes and who wants to buy dirty, stinky underwear of anyone? Oh, BTW, OF COURSE it would have DNA in it. Someone WORE THE THING! LOL! I mean, come on.

BTW, MJ suuposedly wrote a letter to that wife, LMP, explaining why he wants to end the marriage? Errrr, didn't she wanted to end the marriage? Am I right or wrong big time? Someone with a better memory, help me out here. LOL.

can someone tell me what this mean allthough my enlgish is good these things are harder to get when they re meaNT FUNNY

The two icons hugged, after which Mr. Brown, stepping back to admire his most famous student, observed MJ's trademark black high water tuxedo pants and temporarily lost his wide smile. "You need to talk your tailor, Mike," Mr. Brown said, concerned. "He's got you floodin, brother."

I think he means to tell Michael that he needed to talk to his tailor because his pants were too high. LOL. You know, MJ made high waters a fashion statement back in the day. I guess that was what the joke meant. I could be wrong though. I had to read that part three times to get the joke.

can someone tell me what this mean allthough my enlgish is good these things are harder to get when they re meaNT FUNNY

Pants/trousers that appear too short are sometimes referred to as high water pants. Kind of like a person was standing in high water or flood water and had to pull or roll the pants up to keep them from getting wet. It's usually said jokingly/in jest but with some truth to it in how the pants appear.

Hope that sheds some insight into what Mr. Brown said and why. :)

Barak Obama, is mixed race/biracial from a white background which is something a lot of people are in denial of. Therefore he could be the first mixed race President of the USA, and the first person with black origin to hold office in the White House. He is the representation of both black and white people not just black people.

I had to read it twice myself to be sure I got the joke!! Don't wanna post any negative stuff, especially when it comes from the King of soul 8)

It's one of those stories that makes you closer to how it might have went down backstage in those days. It's funny stuff.

Barak Obama, is mixed race/biracial from a white background which is something a lot of people are in denial of. Therefore he could be the first mixed race President of the USA, and the first person with black origin to hold office in the White House. He is the representation of both black and white people not just black people.
,, barring his dominantly African physical appreance.

back in the olden days, this would all be irrelevent to a white slave owner, so what you said isn't as black and white (pun unintended) and as idealistic as you put it.

the fact that all sides constantly highlight his African race is evidence enough that skin colour is still important in the 21st century (mostly because of retrospect, which is ironic) but also because of existent racism no matter what your white-black ratio is.

f_laugh.gif

Very true. Not to mention Bob Marley. My goodness there are a crapload of black men who have impacted so many people on a global scale. Are they joking?

bloody hell, Bob Marley
bow.gif

f_doh.gif
f_doh.gif
f_doh.gif

*spanks self*

If only that were the case. But he doesn't represent white people at all...because white people in this country don't even want it to be that way lol. It sucks...white people call him "black". That's it. These reporters in the news, and potential voters...I've never seen a white person call Barack Obama "biracial". And I've never seen a 'black' person call him "biracial" either. America has this little thing called the "one drop rule", where if you have one little drop of African ancestry in your history, you're just "BLACK". Which...is funny to me...because, if only the white people in this country knew how many of them have "one drop" of African in their history/ancestry. By their own "one drop rule" slave standards, they'd all be classified as "black". :lol:

I don't know who he is but sources say he wears a fedora, a white glove and moonwalks wearing some weird red leather jacket with zippers all around it, grabbing his crotch, yelling "hee-hee" and "SHAMON!"

Music makes the world go around, hun. :moonwalk
Yey got good response!!!!!

In another perspective, we're all from Africa so that means that drop is quite huge.
White skintones just evolved a they moved more away from the equator and to colder areas some people say. Who knows, but the history is very interesting =)

Side note: It's not about Obama nor our origin, It's about the fact that this is the first time Michael Jackson is being mentioned in the same articles as, maybe soon to be, president. We have seen it several times, I just didn't think it would be so many. What do you guys think of it? Is a good thing,or is it bad?

Does Michael vote? If he does, it would be interesting to know who he votes for, you know, just for curiosity lol. Didn't he say sometime back that he's not that into politics, or something along those lines?

,, barring his dominantly African physical appreance.

back in the olden days, this would all be irrelevent to a white slave owner, so what you said isn't as black and white (pun unintended) and as idealistic as you put it.

the fact that all sides constantly highlight his African race is evidence enough that skin colour is still important in the 21st century (mostly because of retrospect, which is ironic) but also because of existent racism no matter what your white-black ratio is.

I disagree with you, and won't budge on my view. And what I said isn't idealistic it's a reality that monoracial people don't want to hear. Who said skin colour in the 21st century wasn't importnat, not me ! ............. I said the public and media are in denial, so how can that be idealist. I said Obama is the representation of both black and white people, that's genetic a fact not idealistic.

It is not for black and white people to dictate how mixed race people should view themselves, which is why I don't see reall progress in the public and media portraying Barak Obama is just a black person. It saddens me that in 2008 ignornace towards mixed race people from both black as well as white people still exists. On the mixed race identity issue, Obama is a weak man. Barak Obama is from a white family, yet his grandparent and mother will be written out of history like they are only a small part of his life. Barak Obama is an inspiration to all people, and I will say mainly people of colour. But there are a lot of raising politians and sports people like Lewis Hamiltion and Tiger Woods who are portrayed as black but are infact mixed race. Saying they are just Black, denies there actually racial identity and heritage, it's wrong and disrespectful and not for black and white people to dictat.

He may have a predominantly black appearence, but he is mixed race. Nothing will change my view on that, and I couldn't give a flying F**K how a racist salve owner would view Barak Obama salve owners are dirt to me. On the subject of being mixed race, Barak Obama's story is a racial stereotype of the mixed race person, and on that subject he doesn't represent change.

Martin Luther King said he looks forward to the black and white children can walk together hand in hand. Well that day could be comining, and Barak Obama is the psychial embodiment of that as he is the offspring of a black man and a white women. And the mixed race man who can heal America.

If only that were the case. But he doesn't represent white people at all...because white people in this country don't even want it to be that way lol. It sucks...white people call him "black". That's it. These reporters in the news, and potential voters...I've never seen a white person call Barack Obama "biracial". And I've never seen a 'black' person call him "biracial" either. America has this little thing called the "one drop rule", where if you have one little drop of African ancestry in your history, you're just "BLACK". Which...is funny to me...because, if only the white people in this country knew how many of them have "one drop" of African in their history/ancestry. By their own "one drop rule" slave standards, they'd all be classified as "black". :lol:

You've made some good points. If only some white Americans knew how much African ancestry they might have, as that shows how pathetic the One Drop Rule is. For a person who's not an American, it doesn't look like a land of the free and free speach. Because it's a country where people are in denial of others and their own heritage.

Anyway, I'll stop my views on Obama being portayed as Black when he's actually mixed race. I just wanted to put my view across false peace of History may be written. If someone like Will Smith (who has said he might like to) ever becomes President of America and is a desendant of black slaves (unlike Obama), then America will really have turned a corner and HISTORY will have been made with the first black USA President.

Does Michael vote? If he does, it would be interesting to know who he votes for, you know, just for curiosity lol. Didn't he say sometime back that he's not that into politics, or something along those lines?

Michael strikes me a apolitical. He's been very friendly with Ronald Reagan, George Bush Snr, and Bill Clinton. If Michael is political, I think he switches sides and goes with who he feels has the best polices at the time.

Your American election system is such a long process. Having the public vote for a Democrat and Repbulican nominnee. In the UK the voting system is shorter and less complicated. I think all these Obama and McCain speaches in statdiums are too over the top, and a waste of money. And that Palin women seems mad, I don't like her at all and the fact she shoots animals makes me dislike her even more.

Last edited:
Back