Some of my songs...

mjroxworld

Proud Member
Hi, I wrote this poem today, for Michael. it's a rough draft. It may not be absolutely terrific yet, I know. but tell me what you think.

P.S. look for more of my songs/poems within this thread :)

Freedom

You've inspired me beyond belief
What was silent now is free
Now the lyrics flow freely
They come out so smoothly
The musician in me
I thought ceased to be.

He told me I'm no good
He said I can't sing
He said, "I don't want you
Get off of my team."
It was a crushing blow
And I'm going to explode

If I don't sing
My insides will burst
It's only a matter of time.
He silenced the songbird
Put me in a cage
He didn't see the death of me.

But you set me free.
The songbird will find her voice again.
I will break out in sweet melody
And finally the people will see
FInally they will hear
The songbird they held dear.

Leslie Kaster © 2008

Thank you, Michael J.

Last edited:
Re: a poem for Michael...pls read

So beautiful!! I especially like this line -

"If I don't sing
My insides will burst"

So beautiful!! I especially like this line -

"If I don't sing
My insides will burst"

That's exactly what it feels like, I'm tellin' ya!

I wrote another songbird song, a few days ago. It kinda has to do with this one. I'll post it tomorrow. I've got so many songs I've written; I just need to find someone to help me put a tune to them. I've also got a bazillion poems that I've written throughout my life. Maybe someday I'll publish them...

Here's the other songbird poem I wrote.

Muted Songbird

There’s nothing for me to say
It’s better to just stay silent
And stay out of everyone’s way.

If people only scoff
At what comes from my mouth
Why should I speak?
What can I say?

If only they understood me
If only they could see inside my head
Then maybe they would let me be.

So instead of speaking
I’ll just burst forth into song
I’ll fill my days with singing.

You won’t silence that, too, will you?
You wouldn’t kill the song, would you?
My song, it’s all that’s left of me.
Without a song, the songbird is dead.
She cannot live.

The songbird has been muted.
The songbird can’t even cry.
The songbird, sadly, has died.

Leslie Kaster © 2008

Last edited:

Here's another one I wrote a couple months ago. Can you tell I am a musician?

It’s the Music

The music drives me
The song is in my soul
The dance sets me free
There’s no telling
Where I can go.

I will not be conquered
I will not be slain
I will not be tortured
You can’t cast me out
Again and again.

Everything I do
Everywhere I go
The music drives me
The song is in my soul
The dance sets me free
There’s no telling
Where I will go.

I’ll be one with the music
One with my soul
Connected with my God
He’ll guide me where to go.

Don’t push me away
I must go to the place
Where music is everything
……

The music drives me
The song is in my soul
The dance sets me free
I’m free
He calls me,
And I go.

I will sing
I will dance
I will go

Leslie Kaster © 2008

Well I hope you all are liking these songs and poems. I've got a whole bunch more. I'd like some feedback, constructive criticism, etc. on what I've got posted. i hope that someday I'll actually be able to put music to them and maybe even record some of them. Right now they are in the beginning stages of lyrics.

Last edited:
Great lyrics. Definitely keep up the good work and it's good to put the copyright symbol. Keep writing, YOU have talent.:yes:

Do you play any instruments? If not there are cheap music software programs that are really easy to learn. I started off learning Power Tracks Pro and then dabbled a little with Fruity Loops and other programs. With any of these programs you can put a beat, melody, and rhythm together for each song. You can actually go to these sites and download a free trial to see which one best suits you. Even go to download.com and you'll find so many free trial programs you'll be amazed. All this and you don't have to be a piano player etc., although it helps in the long run. But in reality you can put a whole song together using only one program.

Also, these programs have HOW TO's so you can learn quickly. And there's Youtube w/lots of tutorials on most of all the programs. Like I said I started with Power Tracks Pro and after learning the basics with this one program, it helped me understand the more difficult ones like Cakewalk (which is a great program too and really easy too, come to think of it) and others like Pro Tools etc.

The main thing I guess is if you're using a Mac or PC and what your system can handle.

Well I hope all this helps in some way. If you've never used a music software program before, I would start with a program like PTP, learn the basics and then learn more gradually. Fruity Loops looks difficult, but it's not and it's a good program with a lot of instruments installed. The other programs have instruments too, but to me FL has a good section.

So start with the trial programs and see what you like and go from there. In a few weeks to months you'll be having your songs with music in no time. You can put your voice on all the programs too and print out your lyrics with musical notes included. Find one you like and buy it.

And the best thing, you can try them all for free, so Go For IT and HAVE LOTS OF FUN! :D

i'm liking these, very much. i think you should dabble in putting it to music, and if you've recorded even just rough vocals with a melody then i'd love to hear it. what style/genre do you envisage for these?

All this and you don't have to be a piano player etc., although it helps in the long run. But in reality you can put a whole song together using only one program.
i think having technical music knowledge is essential, imo. at least to know and experiment in arranging chords over the melody otherwise we'd end up with the ringtone music of our Pop scene today with just systematic loops everywhere.

Hey did you check out my post in Michaelmania? It's called "What MJ inspiration can do!" I have been working very hard on the project I have linked in there. Check it out so you can see just what I've been up to ;)

i'm liking these, very much. i think you should dabble in putting it to music, and if you've recorded even just rough vocals with a melody then i'd love to hear it. what style/genre do you envisage for these?

i think having technical music knowledge is essential, imo. at least to know and experiment in arranging chords over the melody otherwise we'd end up with the ringtone music of our Pop scene today with just systematic loops everywhere.

I do not yet have tunes for the lyrics I have posted here. I'm working on tunes for a couple of other songs. As for vocals, I am not recording my vocals until I get practiced up. I'm so rusty right now it's embarrassing.

I am a student of music, I have been in music my whole life (and I am 30). Singing has always been my main thing, but I do have have experience in both piano and violin, as well. So yes, I agree, having technical knowledge of music is very essential. Even if musicians start out not having a knowledge, they often find over time that it really helps to learn the basic essentials.

Of course it is, but everyone is not musically inclined. A lot of singer/songwriters wouldn't know a chord if it was staring in their face. All I'm saying is the programs like Fruity Loops allows non-musicians and musicians to put things together without having a whole spectrum of knowledge. (Not saying you are a non-musician mjroxworld)

Being able to play a piano or any instrument is a PLUS. But for a songwriter without a big back up band, a few dollars for a program will cost anyone way less than buying studio time. But I guess it really depends on what their working with in terms of finances. lol.

If you have a keyboard with MIDI connections, for songwriters, THE WORLD IS YOURS.:yes:

mjroxworld, a lot of musicians use software sequencers like FL and hardware sequencers of all kinds. It just adds more flavor to your talent and allows you to structure your ideas quicker. Well I think anyway. I got lucky and got E-Dub's old Akai sequencer and it works perfectly. They thought the LCD went out, gave it away, I bought it for a 3 bucks, took it home and discovered there was a lever in the back that illuminates it more. lol. And it's still worth a few hundred dollars.

Maybe if you want, I'll share with you some stuff I put together using a music program.

Keep up the good work, regardless of what process you use to put your music together.

Of course it is, but everyone is not musically inclined. A lot of singer/songwriters wouldn't know a chord if it was staring in their face. All I'm saying is the programs like Fruity Loops allows non-musicians and musicians to put things together without having a whole spectrum of knowledge. (Not saying you are a non-musician mjroxworld)

Being able to play a piano or any instrument is a PLUS. But for a songwriter without a big back up band, a few dollars for a program will cost anyone way less than buying studio time. But I guess it really depends on what their working with in terms of finances. lol.

If you have a keyboard with MIDI connections, for songwriters, THE WORLD IS YOURS.:yes:

mjroxworld, a lot of musicians use software sequencers like FL and hardware sequencers of all kinds. It just adds more flavor to your talent and allows you to structure your ideas quicker. Well I think anyway. I got lucky and got E-Dub's old Akai sequencer and it works perfectly. They thought the LCD went out, gave it away, I bought it for a 3 bucks, took it home and discovered there was a lever in the back that illuminates it more. lol. And it's still worth a few hundred dollars.

Maybe if you want, I'll share with you some stuff I put together using a music program.

Keep up the good work, regardless of what process you use to put your music together.

I use Session by M-Audio and have a MIDI keyboard called Keystudio. Regardless of it's dollar price, to me, it is priceless and invaluable. :)

Currently working on the music for this one. I like the lyrics, I understand the feeling of them, and I know at least one other person on this board does, too. But I think when I finally get the music to it it should make better sense to everyone else. Thought I'd share, though. I also have a song I've written for my husband for his birthday and am working on the music...but that's gonna be our little secret, shhhhh! :)

Blinkin’ Shame

Verse 1
Inner turbulence (softly spoken)
(stacatto)
Mind misfirin’
Nerves maladjustin’
Aura occurin’
Eyes a blinkin’
Mind confusion
Not reducin’
It’s a blinkin’ shame.

CHORUS
You can taunt me, haunt me
You can bash me, bully me
But it’s a blinkin’ shame.
You can’t get inside my head
You can’t see inside my mind
You can’t be epilepsy
It’s a blinkin’ shame.

Verse 2
(stacatto)
Cameras flashin’
Sirens wailin’
Red lights blinkin
Mind is screamin’
(loudly spoken)
Just can’t take it
(stacatto)
Body shakin’
Now I’m sleepin’
It’s a blinkin’ shame.

CHORUS

Verse 3
You can’t understand
You’re not in my shoes
Why do I always lose?
It’s not a game
A vy for attention
This is my reality
This is my disease.
It’s a blinkin’ shame.

Verse 4
My mind is bound
To a fate with no cure
But you can make it better
You can give the sunshine
Just do your best
Take the test
Be not afraid
Of my blinkin’ shame.

Alternate CHORUS
Please don’t taunt me, haunt me
Please don’t bash me, bully me
It’s a blinkin’ shame.
You can’t get inside my head
You can’t see inside my mind
You can’t be epilepsy
Be not afraid
Of my blinkin’ shame

© 2008 Leslie Kaster

And here's the lyrics for the song I wrote for the orphans for which I have a vid posted here in the FanZone (under Michael, children, and me):

Be My Mama

Intro/Verse1
The faces haunt me,
Every waking hour, they are there.
In their eyes I see
I see so much misery.
All the pain, all the sadness, no cheer.
Crying out, to take them home with me.

CHORUS
"Be my Mama,"
So she cries.
Begging, pleading, dying, crying,
"Be my Mama,
Please love me
Please hold me
Please wipe my tears away."

VERSE 2
She stands out from the crowd
So tiny, so helpless, so desperate.
So cold, so hungry, so lonely.
Without love,
WIthout joy.
Her eyes pull me in
They sparkle and shine,
Her smile says,
I want to love you.
Just be my Mama.

CHORUS

VERSE 3
But no one comes.
Years pass, and no one comes.
She grows, but oh so slightly.
Her pictures continue to cry to me.
A collection I hold so dear.
Child, I want you for my own.
I want to answer your cries.
I want to wipe away your tears
I want to take away your fears.
I'll go across the world
To come just for you.
I want to be your Mama.

Alt. CHORUS
"Be my Mama,"
So she cries.
Begging, pleading, dying, crying,
"Be my Mama,
Please love me
Please hold me
Please come for me
I don't want another birthday to pass
It will be too late
Please hurry
Don't wait
Please don't wait.
Be my Mama."

copyright 2008 Leslie Kaster

I got the music worked out to Blinkin' Shame and have it posted on YouTube...

www.youtube.com/zhuriyuk2

That's my channel, just go to my Videos and you will see it there. I STILL don't have a microphone (us aspiring musicians are POOR!!), so I don't have the lyrics recorded just yet. But the music is cool and funky! And the vid may help people understand me just a little more.

"mjroxworld" Your lyrics/poems are just Fantastic ...(My new song writer) ~lol

Keep up the good work.

"mjroxworld" Your lyrics/poems are just Fantastic ...(My new song writer) ~lol

Keep up the good work.

*thank you* Wanna collaborate??

Anyway, for all of you who are interested, the next few posts are some more. Enjoy!

LET ME FORGET
It's not a pretty sight
All these people
This big crowd
Just to touch,
Just to kiss,
Just to take.
This isn't love
This is obsession.

I am overtaken
And overwhelmed
There's nowhere to go
I am hurt,
I am sad,
I am angry,
Oh so angry
Oh, so sad.
You cannot imagine
All the pain you've given.

So this is how
You show your love?
Can you not see
My pain,
My misery,
My anguish?
If this is love,
Then I don't want to love.

Will no one speak for me?
Is there no one out there
Who will teach me
Real joy,
Real life,
Real love?
Will you see me for me?
Can your love
Let me forget?

Let me forget my pain
Let me forget my sorrow
Let me forget my anger
Give me some joy tomorrow.
Everything I am
Everything I will be
Everywhere I go
I want you with me.
Let me forget.
Help me to grow.

Copyright 2008 Leslie

THE PLAYER
I thought I was alone
I just wanted to stay
I just wanted to pray.
I began to sing aloud
Though there was no one around
To hear my soul speak.

Then the Player joined my song
I stopped, but he said,
"No, no, let me play along."
His eyes, his voice, his words
They opened up my vocal chords
And he put a smile on my face.

The music was done,
But that was not the end.
The Player looked so sad
The Player looked so lonely
The Player looked so afraid
So I gave him a little kiss.

The kiss said, "don't be afraid."
The kiss said, "I would never hurt you."
The kiss said, "I'll help you grow."
The Player sang with me.
The Player talked with me.
The Player at last looked happy,
And the Player walked me home.

Copyright 2008 Leslie

Re: Some of my songs... *UPDATE* #19 and on

A song I wrote for a book I wrote in which the central character was male. The other two I just posted were from the same story. Enjoy!

DREAMGIRL

CHORUS 1
You're in my dreams
You'll never leave
Dreamgirl, one day I'll marry you
For now I must carry through
Meeting you was the most wonderful thing
I have not the words here to explain
But I'll try, Dreamgirl.

VERSE 1
Girl, your name has eluded me
It's put me in agony
When I met you
You awoke something in me
I felt a sweet desire
An emotion never felt before
You've been in my mind for years
I've never stopped thinking of you
You fill me with hope for my future
An excitement I can't contain.

VERSE 2
Years passed, I lived my life
I went to try real school
I wanted to see what there was to learn
I went to math class,
To learn about numbers
Instead I learned
That you had despair
You could not escape
The taunts of your peers.
You looked at me;
I knew it was you
I felt your pain
But I felt such delight
At having seen you again.
You're my Dreamgirl.

CHORUS 2
You're in my dreams
You'll never leave
But I'm trying, Dreamgirl.

VERSE3
I followed you around
Disguise was my game
You talked to me;
I was the stranger in the park
The homeless man on the street
The curious kid in the store
Everywhere I went
You were so kind to me
I just knew you were being so real.
But I became so torn
I knew I had to leave
I had so much to do
I could not bear to be apart
From the first, you crowned my heart
And you made me your King.
So I came to say goodbye
I will miss you so.
You're my Dreamgirl.

CHORUS 3
You're in my dreams
You'll never leave
But here it goes, Dreamgirl.

VERSE 4
You sang for me
Your voice, like a bell
I played for you
On the organ
Together the harmony was true.
Only for you.
I froze in fear when you came near
In fright the world stood still
But you just brushed my cheek
Oh so lightly with your lips
"Just a little kiss," you said
And my world was spinning
From your gentle sweetness.
We talked, we sang
The air was magical
I didn't want it to end
But I walked you home
In the black of twilight
I told you, "Girl, good night."

CHORUS 4
You're in my dreams
You'll never leave
Everything I feel inside.

My heart beats for you.
My body cries out for you.
My soul waits for you.
Dreamgirl, when will you come?

Copyright 2008 Leslie

Last edited:
hey mjroxworld hey how are you? it's rockstar :yes: :waving: come and see my thread of songs i wrote too i post alot of new songs too :yes:

your songs/peoms are amazing :clap:

really cool songs! so..you write and play an instrument...you said u don't have a mic...and i saw that you requested if you wanna collaborate...

do you sing? or rap? i'm only asking cus u said u don't have a mic and u didn't say whether u were a singer...lol..unless i overlooked u sayin it.lol...my vision isn't quite 20/20..lol

really cool songs! so..you write and play an instrument...you said u don't have a mic...and i saw that you requested if you wanna collaborate...

do you sing? or rap? i'm only asking cus u said u don't have a mic and u didn't say whether u were a singer...lol..unless i overlooked u sayin it.lol...my vision isn't quite 20/20..lol

update: I have a microphone now. :) (yeah you'd think that after an entire life spent singing I would have a mic by now, right? hahaha doesn't always work that way). Only the past couple weeks I've been in a funk and my voice is recovering so haven't been able to record. I should be able to start up again next week though. I am a singer/songwriter. and I need collaboraters!

update: I have a microphone now. :) (yeah you'd think that after an entire life spent singing I would have a mic by now, right? hahaha doesn't always work that way). Only the past couple weeks I've been in a funk and my voice is recovering so haven't been able to record. I should be able to start up again next week though. I am a singer/songwriter. and I need collaboraters!

lol...what kind of collaborators do u need? it looks like u do everything..lol

Alright, so I've been dabbling around, a lot. I've done some rough vocals of covers for some of my fave songs. One of them I'm kinda proud of is my cover for MJ's "Music and Me". I'm doing it a capella and layering my voice. :) It's sounds pretty decent, but I'm not yet ready to share it. It still needs work. hahaha You'll all just have to wait. But I'll let you know when it's good enough for simple sharing.

I've also done a cover of "How Deep the Father's Love for Us". I had it all good and ready...and hubby said it sounded terrific and everything...and then my system went a little haywire before I could save what I had. :( So I had to start all over on it and it isn't sounding as good this time around. Hate when that happens. So when that's ready I'll share that, too.

Back