Exclusive! Janet leaves Island Def Jam

IvanaIloveMJ

Proud Member
22 Sep 2008

Producer Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins revealed that Janet left the Island Def Jam Music Group in his video Blog Rap-up- http://www.rap-up.com/ . He explains that Janet asked to be released and got released only recently. According to Darkchild she will not be looking for a new record company until after her tour. Darkchild, however, expressed his interest in her joining his label and possibly working together with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis to make "a classic Janet record." To view the whole interview, click on the video below.

source: janet-online

Wow. If that's true then.... yay? :lol: That was sudden, but then not surprising, since they were having their issues, and Discipline didn't do very well. Now I don't know much about Rodney's label; as long as they do their job to promote her. Jim & Ter - another happy mention.

wouldnt be a surprise considering what has gone on. was i ta one album deal with def jam?

Janet's publicist confirms break with Island

22 Sep 2008

Janet Jackson has terminated her relationship with her label, Island Records, her publicist announced Monday.

"At her request, the record label has agreed to dissolve their working relationship," the singer's rep said in a statement to People.com. "Now more than 20 years after the release of her iconic album, Control, Janet will have autonomy over her career, without the restrictions of a label system."

A rep for Island Records had no comment.

Jackson, 42, first discussed her label woes in June, when she told the hip hop Web site SOHH.com, "I'm trying to figure out a way to say this, but just to say it and to be quite honest, they just stopped all promotion whatsoever on the album, so I don't think you're going to hear another single off this album."

Concert Tour Continues

At the time, an Island Def Jam spokesperson told Billboard, "Unfortunately, we haven't experienced the results we would have liked with this new album. But we respect and support Janet."

Jackson was signed to Island Records in July 2007, and released her album Discipline, which debuted at No. 1, on the label in February.

Despite the break with Island, Jackson will continue to perform her Rock Witchu tour across North America.

source: janet-online

I have to say this.. but the writing was on the wall...Janet going to DefJam was always a no for me...

2 Divas on one label doesn't produce two top selling albums...

DefJam does not have a good track record with older artist.... ie: Lionel Richie, Patty Labelle, etc..

they are so use to marketiing young bumble gum...

eventhough DefJam did put alot of $$$ into Janet's project.. with all those mags, TV /radio appearances and commericials for the album...

IMO, Janet do movies.... move on.. sometimes you have to when to let go.............without versatility with your singing ability... let it go...

IMO, Janet do movies.... move on.. sometimes you have to when to let go.............without versatility with your singing ability... let it go...
that didn't stop her from previous commercial and artistic successes. or is she 'too old' now? LOL man your theories are getting tired.

what she needs is a similar working formula she had with Jam & Lewis. Janet go find yourself a Poyser or a Ronson and work on some goodass music that you used to reach. someone like Jerkins is one step forward, two steps back.

Also here's A story that came up with the BlackVoices with the same articael on Janet leaving "Def Jam"/"Island" Records:

The writing was on the wall a few months ago when she was quoted as saying they didn't promote her most recent album.

And now it's been confirmed that Janet Jackson has parted ways with Island Def Jam.

Just 14 months of being on the powerhouse label, helmed by Antonio "L.A." Reid, it was announced today that Jackson is no longer a part of its superstar roster.

Her rep confirmed the news to BlackVoices.com this afternoon.

"The label agreed to dissolve their relationship with the artist at her request" is the official word.

Source: blackvoices.aol.com

It's unfortunate that things didn't work out with the label. Janet deserves a label that will give her the attention and respect she needs. She will be alright! :) I was at her Vegas concert last Friday and it was AMAZING!! You keep Rockin' with Us Janet!

that didn't stop her from previous commercial and artistic successes. or is she 'too old' now? LOL man your theories are getting tired.

what she needs is a similar working formula she had with Jam & Lewis. Janet go find yourself a Poyser or a Ronson and work on some goodass music that you used to reach. someone like Jerkins is one step forward, two steps back.

I am a girl.. and was never a fan of Janet's music.. never had and never will be...

I like Janet becuz she is a Jackson... that's it ..

that's my opinion.. tiring or not.. it ain't changing...

I am a girl..
my bad, and

and was never a fan of Janet's music.. never had and never will be...
no offence, but that explains it.

Janet never had the quality vocal talents, but she compensated elsewhere by being heavily involved in the creation of her work and especially with her successful Jam & Lewis collaborations. most of the material is definitely not for everyone, but the artistic and commercial successes she has had should at least be acknowledged. and if it is acknowledged, then telling a 42 year-old musical artist to stop making music is a bit silly, imo.

Janet never had the quality vocal talents, but she compensated elsewhere by being heavily involved in the creation of her work and especially with her successful Jam & Lewis collaborations. most of the material is definitely not for everyone, but the artistic and commercial successes she has had should at least be acknowledged. and if it is acknowledged, then telling a 42 year-old musical artist to stop making music is a bit silly, imo.
That is true. I like her early albums like Control and Rythm Nation. I wish her the best and I hope that everything works out....
I have to say, Rasta Pasta I also thought you were a guy for some reason but now I know :doh:

Someone once said if the formular works,why fix it ? or if it isn't broken, why fix it. ?She tried something new, which is always good sometimes, She tried to fix it and it didn't work so I'll be glad if she did work with Jimmy and Terry again.Her success was with them and if she decided to go back to them,it would be a good thing.

Back