September 30 News and Mentionings

mariemarie

Guests
Hi all.Not a lot of exciting things to report today. So please post whatever you find worth sharing =)

Mentionings

Concert Features RJD2, Michael Jackson Band

DJ RJD2 and Michael Jackson tribute band Who’s Bad drew crowds of students to Saturday’s 2008 Homecoming Ball, housed in a large white tent surrounded by blue lanterns and strings of gold lights on Asbury Circle.

While Who’s Bad kicked off the night singing and dancing under turquoise, purple and pink lights, crowds of students gathered to the front and cheered the band on. With their smooth slides and turns and performance of favorites such as “Smooth Criminal,” the band kept its audience screaming and jumping with their hands flung high in the air.

Taking the stage next, RJD2 changed the mood with selections consisting of intense beats and bizarre tunes. His song “The Horror” kept students upbeat, but the high energy that had characterized the audience during Who’s Bad’s performance slightly tapered down.

Even so, people booed when the music paused for a moment. The overall spirit, as exemplified by College freshman Adam McCall who said the DJ livened up his night, remained high enough for RJD2 to declare: “I’m jealous! I want to go back to school!”

Full story http://www.emorywheel.com/detail.php?n=25910

The true story of 'Go Cubs Go!'

Regular readers of this blog may have noticed that I'm a die-hard Cubs fan. And almost anyone within reach of the sports section must have noticed that the Chicago Cubs, the team with the best record in the National League, have made the playoffs for the second consecutive season, the first time our lowly but beloved team has accomplished that, well, since we last won the World Series in 1908. Since Lou Piniella took over as manager last year, Cubs fans have sensed that something special is in the air --we've been winning, winning a lot. And whenever we win, since sometime early last season, the fans at Wrigley Field celebrate by singing a joyous anthem, "Go Cubs Go!"

The song was produced by Goodman and Hank Neuberger, one of my old friends who worked as an engineer for everybody from Goodman and Prine to Cheap Trick, Ramsey Lewis and the Ohio Players. With the first Cubs playoff game scheduled for this week,

But Steve Goodman, Chicago’s native son, was altogether right for this. Beloved in Chicago, he had embodied the Chicago folk scene, along with his friend John Prine, for 10 years after writing "City of New Orleans," "Daley’s Gone," "Lincoln Park Pirates" and "A Dying Cubs Fan’s Last Request."

We had a top rhythm section, including Steve Rodby on bass, who went on to join the Pat Metheny Group, and Pat Leonard on keyboards, who went to L.A. the week after the session to audition for the Michael Jackson tour, got the gig and went on to produce hit albums for Madonna, Elton John, Bon Jovi and many others. The sensational lead guitar licks were provided by John Burns, the son of Steve’s longtime friend and frequent accompanist, bluegrass legend Jethro Burns, of Homer & Jethro. The next night, we added a chorus of 30 nicely lubricated friends who Steve invited down to help.
In early June, after the Cubs traded for Rick Sutcliffe, and started to make some real noise with Sandberg, Cey, Eckersley, etc., WGN wanted to release the track as a 45 (remember those?). They wanted to bill it as Steve Goodman and the Cubs Chorus, so I suggested that maybe we ought to add some Cubs. So one Monday off-day, in came Jody Davis (C), Gary Matthews (LF), Keith Moreland (RF), Thad Bosley (OF) and Jay Johnstone (OF) to sing along:
"Hey Chicago what do you say
The Cubs are gonna win today."

Full story http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_picture/2008/09/post.html

Glitz and a Cloud of Dust

Walking backward toward the Dior tent in the Tuileries Gardens, the photographers kicked up a powder of dust around the French actress Marion Cotillard. She had on a Dior glen plaid dress and very high heels, and her hair was pinned up in tight curls. Every few moments Harvey Weinstein, the producer, would step forward and expertly move the procession along.

Mr. Decarnin siphons from his various references the elements he likes — the pagoda jacket shoulder we have seen at Martin Margiela and from Tom Ford during his Saint Laurent days; the military regalia of Alexander McQueen and Michael Jackson; the bondage-inspired decoration of early Versace — and blends them into a knowing look.

Today in
Michael Jackson History
2001 - It was reported that the song "One More Chance" was being considered for Michael Jackson's album "Number Ones." The song was written by R. Kelly. The album was planned as the last Sony release by Jackson.

f_NumberOnesOm_efd11e5.jpg

Janet Jackson hospitalized moments before Montreal show

U.S. pop star [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Janet [COLOR=blue! important]Jackson[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] has been hospitalized after falling ill shortly before a concert in Canada on Monday. A representative for the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]singer[/COLOR][/COLOR] said yesterday that Janet was taken to hospital after falling ill during her sound check.
The 42-year-old singing and dancing queen, who is on a North American tour, had to postpone her Montreal show after she got suddenly ill during her sound check, and had to be rushed to a local hospital moments before her performance on a Montreal stage, according to a statement released by her publicist from W&W Public Relations.
The statement further reads that Janet is being monitored at the hospital and hopes to reschedule the show, which was part of her North American tour entitled "Rock Witchu." However, no details were revealed about the cause of her illness.
The Grammy-Award winning singer is currently performing her ‘Rock Witchu’ tour, her first in seven years, across the U.S. that also features LL Cool J and Donnie Klang. She kicked off her tour on September 10th in Vancouver, BC and will make stops in major cities including New Jersey, Montreal and Toronto.
This is not the first time Janet had to postpone her Rock Witchu show instead last week she canceled the weekend Detroit stop of her Rock Witchu tour due to "production constraints".
Born on May 16, 1966, in Gary, IN, Janet Jackson is the younger sister of “King of Pop” Michael Jackson. She is ranked as the ninth most successful act in the history of rock and roll. Guinness World Records lists her as the world's most searched-for person in Internet history. She has won five Grammy Awards, received an Oscar-nomination at the 66th annual [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Academy [COLOR=blue! important]Awards[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and was awarded the first 'Icon' award from MTV.
Always known to break new ground and set trends, Janet was much criticized for her breast-baring "wardrobe malfunction" incident that took place during the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show. During the performance, Janet sang along with Timberlake on his song "Rock Your Body." When Timberlake sang the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]lyric[/COLOR][/COLOR] 'gonna have you naked by the end of this song,' he tore off part of Jackson’s bustier exposing her right breast, which was partially covered by a nipple shield. Janet and Timberlake were performing to a live audience of more than one hundred million people.
She recently left her months-long label, Island Def Jam (IDJ), after accusing it of not promoting her [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]latest [COLOR=blue! important]album[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], “Discipline,” properly. Fourteen months after getting onboard, she announced her split with Island Def Jam, feeling that the label failed to make a hit out of her ‘Discipline’ [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]album[/COLOR][/COLOR], the only album she recorded with the label,
In 2007, Janet left her longtime label, [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Virgin [COLOR=blue! important]Records[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], to join her producer boyfriend Jermaine Dupri at Island Def Jam. She signed a lucrative deal with Island in July of that year and released her first album “Discipline” in February 2008.

Some mentionings....

Rock N Rolla At Paris Fashion Week

The collection was fit for any rock star or pop princess. The line had an 80’s punk feel with the stonewash [COLOR=#cc0033! important][COLOR=#cc0033! important]jeans[/color][/color] and sequin-smothered sheaths. Our favorite items included the drummer boy jackets, which made us reminiscent of Michael Jackson’s [COLOR=#cc0033! important][COLOR=#cc0033! important]costume[/color][/color] from the 80’s, to bandage-wrap dresses that could have been in Madonna’s closet in the 80’s.

http://style.hollyscoop.com/christophe-decarnin--/rock-n-rolla-at-paris-fashion-week_885.aspx

I'll find some more...

Last edited by a moderator:
^^Yeah what about todays birthdays??? lol

psss...Happy Birthday to me and you to dangerous...:)

Shoot. Get well soon Janet. That sucks. I hope she isn't overworking herself.

what about today's birthdays lol :) :) :)

The birthdays for the whole week long are listed in the Monday news threads :yes: You also have to have your bday listed in your profile for it to be listed in the Monday thread. But happy birthday :cheers:

Last edited:
I do not like to huff and puff but the news threads are starting to become a dumping place for tabloid nonsense and posters not being responsible and posting the links. I really prefer that members who are familair to the news thread or the news team to post the news.

Thanks Marie as usual.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, I hope Janet gets better.

The birthdays for the whole week long are listed in the Monday news threads :yes: You also have to have your bday listed in your profile for it to be listed in the Monday thread. But happy birthday :cheers:

oh well!
thanks anyway lol :cheers:

yeah thanks Genie, you too - have a hell of a day! :punk:

Ok, thread cleaned. Please take note that posting every lil thing with Michael's name isn't what the NEWS section is about. Some write ups are strickly tabliod or enough is enough section material not news.

If you are unsure about the content of an article please pm a mod or staff member to get approval for posting in the news section.

do not like to huff and puff but the news threads are starting to become a dumping place for tabloid nonsense and posters not being responsible and posting the links. I really prefer that members who are familair to the news thread or the news team to post the news.

agree. i thought it was pretty much just a job for the news ppl. if posters cant work out what is worth posting and what isnt (just because its got mjs name in it doesnt mean its worth posting) than maybe they shouldnt post and leave it to others who can

I do not like to huff and puff but the news threads are starting to become a dumping place for tabloid nonsense and posters not being responsible and posting the links. I really prefer that members who are familair to the news thread or the news team to post the news.

Thanks Marie as usual.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, I hope Janet gets better.

I can't agree more....

I don't moderate for my health... keep nasty assed tabloid crap off this forum thanks.

It's not about earning brownie points for posting news, nor is about racing to beat everyone else to get the news up. Please leave news and mentionings to the staff unless you are familiar with how we do it all up in here.
We've had an influx of people just posting tabloid crap and pissy rumours that do nothing but flame members into responding and getting angry. So from now on... repeat offenders for posting tabloid rubbish in our news threads will get an infraction for flamming. ... think I'm joking... and then just try me I will be supporting the news team who work their ass off.
So tired of seeing our News threads get turned into drama places due to poor article posting.

So be warned...... enough is enough!

thanks. the good thing about this place is u dont have to trawl through tabloid crap to get to a half important article/news. so then u dont get allthe pointless follow on posts that come with tabloid articles either

Janet Jackson hospitalized moments before Montreal show

U.S. pop star [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Janet [COLOR=blue! important]Jackson[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] has been hospitalized after falling ill shortly before a concert in Canada on Monday. A representative for the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]singer[/COLOR][/COLOR] said yesterday that Janet was taken to hospital after falling ill during her sound check.
The 42-year-old singing and dancing queen, who is on a North American tour, had to postpone her Montreal show after she got suddenly ill during her sound check, and had to be rushed to a local hospital moments before her performance on a Montreal stage, according to a statement released by her publicist from W&W Public Relations.
The statement further reads that Janet is being monitored at the hospital and hopes to reschedule the show, which was part of her North American tour entitled "Rock Witchu." However, no details were revealed about the cause of her illness.
The Grammy-Award winning singer is currently performing her ‘Rock Witchu’ tour, her first in seven years, across the U.S. that also features LL Cool J and Donnie Klang. She kicked off her tour on September 10th in Vancouver, BC and will make stops in major cities including New Jersey, Montreal and Toronto.
This is not the first time Janet had to postpone her Rock Witchu show instead last week she canceled the weekend Detroit stop of her Rock Witchu tour due to "production constraints".
Born on May 16, 1966, in Gary, IN, Janet Jackson is the younger sister of “King of Pop” Michael Jackson. She is ranked as the ninth most successful act in the history of rock and roll. Guinness World Records lists her as the world's most searched-for person in Internet history. She has won five Grammy Awards, received an Oscar-nomination at the 66th annual [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Academy [COLOR=blue! important]Awards[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and was awarded the first 'Icon' award from MTV.
Always known to break new ground and set trends, Janet was much criticized for her breast-baring "wardrobe malfunction" incident that took place during the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show. During the performance, Janet sang along with Timberlake on his song "Rock Your Body." When Timberlake sang the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]lyric[/COLOR][/COLOR] 'gonna have you naked by the end of this song,' he tore off part of Jackson’s bustier exposing her right breast, which was partially covered by a nipple shield. Janet and Timberlake were performing to a live audience of more than one hundred million people.
She recently left her months-long label, Island Def Jam (IDJ), after accusing it of not promoting her [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]latest [COLOR=blue! important]album[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], “Discipline,” properly. Fourteen months after getting onboard, she announced her split with Island Def Jam, feeling that the label failed to make a hit out of her ‘Discipline’ [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]album[/COLOR][/COLOR], the only album she recorded with the label,
In 2007, Janet left her longtime label, [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Virgin [COLOR=blue! important]Records[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], to join her producer boyfriend Jermaine Dupri at Island Def Jam. She signed a lucrative deal with Island in July of that year and released her first album “Discipline” in February 2008.

My goodness gracious Ms.Janet...You got to take care of yourself....if the machine has no oil...the body can only take so much before it breaks down...

Get Well Soon...

Robin Thicke's Top 5 R&B Singles

1. 'Real Love,' Mary J. Blige: According to Thicke, and almost every other Blige fan, 'Real Love' "ushered in era of hip hop soul."

2. 'What's Going On,' Marvin Gaye: Sound of God's voice telling us to love each other.

3. 'Let's Stay Together,' Al Green: Best love song ever.

4. 'Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough,' Michael Jackson: Best dance song ever.

5. 'Forever My Lady,' Jodeci: Me and my wife's song

http://www.theboombox.com/2008/09/30/robin-thickes-top-5-randb-singles/

It is the best dance song ever. "Don't stop til you get enough" always make me wanna mQQve :punk:
And Mary's "Real Love" is a classic. I love the beginning of the song!!

agree. i thought it was pretty much just a job for the news ppl. if posters cant work out what is worth posting and what isnt (just because its got mjs name in it doesnt mean its worth posting) than maybe they shouldnt post and leave it to others who can

Exactly. I am frankly tired of it. It shows that they have no respect for the news staff that take a lot of time posting the news. It really angers me.

repeat offenders for posting tabloid rubbish in our news threads will get an infraction for flamming.

Good.

4. 'Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough,' Michael Jackson: Best dance song ever.

Period. I love me some Robin Thicke. He has great tastes and he was not lying about the classic Marry joint. I loved that song when I was a kid.

2. 'What's Going On,' Marvin Gaye: Sound of God's voice telling us to love each other.

Exactly. What an awesome song and Marvin was just legendary. Thank you for posting this great find, Marie.

I don't know if this is news, but PETA's lame ass attacked Michael AGAIN in their stupid monthly magazine, accusing him of selling his animals to some wildlife preserve in Arizona which they've supposedly caught the owner of hitting a tiger in the face with a rifle butt. This is bullshit and I think it's erronious information. Either way, PETA has some nerve. Michael's an animal activist and this is the second time these morons have attacked him over his animals from Neverland. Everyone whose ever worked with those animals or delt with them has said they were and most likely still are better taken care of thatn anyone elses.

I don't know if this is news, but PETA's lame ass attacked Michael AGAIN in their stupid monthly magazine, accusing him of selling his animals to some wildlife preserve in Arizona which they've supposedly caught the owner of hitting a tiger in the face with a rifle butt. This is bullshit and I think it's erronious information

PETA is crazy. That organization as a whole is doing a disservice to animals. MJ did a wonderful job taking care of the animals that used to live in NL. I have seen footage of that and they are being very well taken care of. It really angers me that in every block in the city they are poor dogs being hurt regarding dogfighting and evil people setting innocent cats on fire and they are so concerned about Michael Jackson. What a bunch of idiots. PETA is a corrupt organization that, imo, needs to be exploded into pieces. Those people love to harass people.

Just want to say a HUGE thank you to the news team for all their hard work and all the good finds.

Also, I hope Janet feels much better soon and that she's not over doing it.

PETA is crazy. That organization as a whole is doing a disservice to animals. MJ did a wonderful job taking care of the animals that used to live in NL. I have seen footage of that and they are being very well taken care of. It really angers me that in every block in the city they are poor dogs being hurt regarding dogfighting and evil people setting innocent cats on fire and they are so concerned about Michael Jackson. What a bunch of idiots. PETA is a corrupt organization that, imo, needs to be exploded into pieces. Those people love to harass people.

PETA needs to learn to blame the right people for the right mess. I'm already sick and tired of them going after Michael every time there is some issue with the animals that are no longer his. Once those animals were out of Michael's hands and into another place, it was the owner of that other place that had 100% of the responsibility to handle them with care. How was Michael supposed to know whether or not the owner was going to be nasty to those animals? I'm sure if Michael knew better he wouldn't have given those animals to an (alleged) jerk like that. PETA needs to stop badgering innocent people (celebrity or not) and go after the abusers themselves. People who USED to own animals that are abused only after they are moved to a new home and away from said former owner don't count for villification. Period.

Last edited:
I used to think that PETA was right about everything, now they are crazy. I don't understand their policy any longer AT ALL. It have been years since PETA was a animal rights organisation, now it's all about "vegetarian of the month". WTF

PETA has long forgotten what its cause is . Nowadays you only really see them fighting for media headlines.

Some new news.....

Jackson tribute, world music highlight Hideout Block Party

Chicago's evolution from a swamp has resonance in a music festival that each year evolves from a garbage truck depository. In this city, beauty can be cultivated from unlikely places, and the 12th annual Hideout Block Party may just be the unlikeliest.

The Hideout's charm is presenting music against the backdrop of a grade school pageant, an aesthetic that's supersized when club organizers move the programming out the front door and onto the neighboring grounds of the city's fleet-management complex. In a crowded music season when sleek, corporate festivals tend to resemble one another, the homespun spirit of this weekend festival makes it the most eclectic and enjoyable.

Saturday's bill was stacked with world music, the most exciting entry being the Plastic People of the Universe, a seven-member ensemble from the Czech Republic that, at the start of its 40 years together, battled Soviet rule to emerge as heroes of free expression. (The ensemble's struggle is central to "Rock 'n' Roll," the Tom Stoppard play that will arrive at the Goodman next year.) The group played a compelling hybrid of punk and jazz, trading vocals among its members and switching from big rock riffs to spacey interludes, driven by the psychedelic counterpoints of saxophone and violin. When Vancouver's Black Mountain followed with a similar approach, it backtracked into hippie clichés.

Monotonix, an Israeli trio known for gonzo theatrics, lived up to its reputation when, in the midst of garage-rock chaos, singer Ami Shalev took to the crowd while half-naked inside a garbage can; it was a sweaty, obnoxious hit. More subdued was the charismatic Malian guitarist Vieux Farka Toure, whose bluesy guitar leads flickered against a two-beat dance rhythm.

Neko Case, a Canadian whose musical life took off when she lived in Chicago, returned to headline. New songs from an album-in-progress didn't stray far from her signature sound that evoked open skies, desert horizons and post-midnight laments. Unlike her role in the New Pornographers, the Canadian band that closed Sunday, Case's solo work begins and ends with her honeyed and giant vocals, immediately summoning both the yearning and sorrow of country gospel.

Yet the day's highlight was uniquely Chicagoan. Singer-songwriter Robbie Fulks hosted "Goin' Back to Indiana," a quasi-variety set honoring Michael Jackson's 50th birthday year. Fulks, Chicago's most fertile musical mind, presented songs from a lost album he recorded but never released of Jackson covers starting from the Jackson 5 days to a rootsy transformation of "Billie Jean."

Guest vocalists, puppets and Day-Glo jumpsuits were topped by South Side rapper Rhymefest, who led the "Thriller" dance, with bar staff as zombies. Downsized, the King of Pop became just one of the regulars on Wabansia Avenue.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-hideout-ovn-0922sep22,0,1520200.story

Back