List of bands/artists that Michael is a fan of

analogue

Proud Member
Does anyone have a list of all the bands/artists that Michael is a fan of?

I'm sure it's the usual suspects, his Motown family, Fred Astaire, James Brown.. I know he's mentioned Sam Cooke before... I'm sure there's boatloads more. He's worked with and praised NSync, Usher, Chris Brown...

Jackie Wilson, James Brown, Beatles, Pet Shop Boys, Barbra Streisand, The Temptations, Kraftwerk, Elton John, Hall & Oates, Bee Gees, Earth Wind & Fire, Phil Collins, Whitney Houston, Barry White, Stephanie Mills, Diana Ross, Toto, Minnie Riperton, Johnny Mathis, Mozart, Stevie Wonder

earth,wind and fire, major lance,jerry butler,human league,tyrone davis,johnny taylor,diana ross,the temptations

when asked about his personal record collection at the '93 Mexico deposition, he listed in one go:
  1. Glenn Campbell
  2. Johnny Mathis
  3. The Carpenters
  4. Eagles
  5. Stevie Wonder
  6. Bee Gees
  7. James Brown
  8. Aretha Franklin
  9. (all the old Motown stuff from the 60s)
  10. Herman's Hermits
  11. The Beatles
  12. Sherman Brothers
and then they recalled a previous statement Mike made answering the same question giving names like Chuck Berry, Rogers & Hammerstein and classical music.

Based on things he has said lately also...NSync, Usher, Chris Brown, Justin Timberlake, Reba.

I'm willing to guess he likes Luther Vandross.

David Bowie, Miles Davis, The Ronettes, The Ink Spots, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Doobie Brothers

Michael was a fan of Sly & The Family Stone, and I think he might have liked Jimi Hendrix as he mentions him in his autobiography MoonWalk when talking about stars who died too young and still had a lot of great things to achieve.

Phil Collins

Sorry for asking this here. But what's the story with Phil Collins, i thought he hated MJ :mello:
In what way? Phil said he liked Mike's music and he has also defended Mike, and said he felt sorry for Mike about the way he was treated. On Genesis' video I Can't Dance Phil does a little MJ impersonation. As far as Kraftwerk, Mike wanted to work with them in the mid 80s, but they turned him down because they didn't want to collaborate with other people.
[youtube]IeZfaJiMG7s&fmt=18[/youtube]
lionel_richie.jpg

Kraftwerk click here

this is great to know because i lovethem both! Thanks so much for that info! :)

OMG! i never knew he like kraftwerk that much, wow! This just made my day :D

Last edited:
I read in the Gearslutz forum from people who worked with MJ that he liked Nine Inch Nails, owned their albums and sang one of their songs during a recording session.

Jesus Christmas!, i hope that's true :wild:

btw, he would probably love this

[youtube]3A5TLpOGmHI&feature=related[/youtube]

Last edited:
He liked Bjork,Kraftwerk & Nine Inch Nails???
CAN I CRY RIGHT NOW????
The diversity of his taste in music really impresses me.

Led Zeppelin

According to one of his sound engineers on Gearslutz he always used to sing "Black Dog" in the studio:

Yeah I defnitely heard somewhere he was a fan of NIN which is awesome. There was a song that he really likes but I cant remember which one is was.

Led Zeppelin

According to one of his sound engineers on Gearslutz he always used to sing "Black Dog" in the studio:

that's cute :lol: I love that song.

"Didn't take too long 'fore I found out,
What people mean by down and out.
Spent my money, took my car
Started telling her friends she gon' be a star.
I don't know, but I been told
A big-legged woman ain't got no soul"

Maybe his inspiration for Dirty Diana? Anything is possible... :D

Wow Michael had a good taste.I love that he liked classic rock.
Imagine Michael covering NIN's "Closer"...

He liked Prince
I remember back in 2000 or 2001 there was a report of him buying dozens of CDs and I remember the two that stood out to me the most was Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP and a Radiohead album, I cant remember which one.....MJ said that he always admired Eminem up until he released that disrespectful video

MJ has mentioned that he likes Run-DMC, Jay-Z, Lady Gaga, Will.I.Am, Outkast, if you look in that Juliens Auctions catalog you will see the jukeboxes that were in Neverland and it shows some of the albums that MJ had in his collection

I remember back during the days of MJNI, if i remember reading correctly, one time MJ showed up for a in-store for Faith Evans back in 2001, right after this in store signing at Virgin Megastore in NYC, they said he showed up in a disguise

I think he may have had a liking to 30 Seconds to Mars. I read a report a few years ago on here that he showed up to one of their concerts and came back stage to say hello. Needless to say they were shocked, but thrilled he took an interest in their music.

Back