Thriller single credit question

blair

Proud Member
I have a question about the credit of Thriller, sometimes it was composed and written by Rod Temperton, but sometimes it was co-written by Michael Jackson, I know that heartbreak hotel is a huge inspiration for this music and that the original title of the song is starlight, but I would know if Michael have a direct role in that.

I have the vinyl and Michael Jackson was credited like that "lyrics sung by Michael Jackson" just under the title and "composed by Rod Temperton" just before the lyrics, what kind of role is that "lyrics sung by" ?(sorry for my bad english), is it the same thing for the CD ? I can't to see myself because I give the CD to my brother (I want to buy the japanese edition).

I would like to have some links or source about that, thanks for advance.

I don't think it's just that because the others songs of the album have no indication like "Thriller", he is always credited in all the songs for Lead Vocals.

:bump
I've searched and didn't find any answer, why they indicate Michael as the singer. For this is quite obvious...

Any ideas? :search:

So what is the use of "Lyrics Sung by Michael Jackson"? It has to be something.

it's means he sang the song. it's as simple as that.

Yeah, that's how I understand it too, but I don't understand why there's no indication like it for other songs. Let's take another Rod Temperton's song - Baby Be Mine. Why there's no "Lyrics Sung by Michael Jackson" under the title? It's so confusing! It's the only one song, "Thriller", which has such indication. There must be a reason, they repeat it in every "Thriller" edition!

I know it's just a detail, but I really wanna understand it :)

They specify that the lyrics are sung by Michael Jackson because the rap is spoken by Vincent Price.

That is simply stupid. It's a Michael Jackson record, of course the lyrics are sung by MJ. LOL.

It somewhat similar on Dangerous. On all songs it says Written and composed by ... However, on "Jam", it says: Music by ..., Song and lyrics by Michael Jackson. Song by Michael Jackson? Wtf.

They specify that the lyrics are sung by Michael Jackson because the rap is spoken by Vincent Price.

Okej, but "Thriller" is Michael Jackson's album so it's obvious that song "Thriller" is sung by Michael. Why they didn't write 'Thriller (by Rod Temperton), rap sung (? or something :D) by Vincent Price'? It would be more... logical this way.

Well, fine. But what about other songs with rap? Ex. Jam, Black or White, 2 Bad... If this is Sony's policy, they haven't been doing it consistently.

Because that song also features a Rap by Vincent Prince. Therefore in the lyrics, it details that the Lyrics are sung by Mike, and the Rap is done by Mr Price. If there was no rap, the "lyrics sung" bit would be omitted like the other lyrics on the sleeve.

Because that song also features a Rap by Vincent Prince. Therefore in the lyrics, it details that the Lyrics are sung by Mike, and the Rap is done by Mr Price. If there was no rap, the "lyrics sung" bit would be omitted like the other lyrics on the sleeve.

But wouldn't it be more logical to say "Rap by Vincent Price" than "Lyrics sung by Michael Jackson". It's stupid, whoever thought of that.

But wouldn't it be more logical to say "Rap by Vincent Price" than "Lyrics sung by Michael Jackson". It's stupid, whoever thought of that.

That's what I have asked before - I think the same way.

lol, yeah I guess the person who was responsible for the Thiller liner notes was stupid!!!?! Come on guys, taking this a little too far methinks. This was how it always used to be done for duets, or otherwise more than one performer.

Back