Patti Austin - Sounds Like Michael Jackson

Superstition

Proud Member
I was listening to Quincy Jones' "The Dude" album and it's no surprise that so many incorrectly think MJ appeard on that album: he was MJ's producer in the 70's/80's, the album featured a host of guest-stars, and Patti Austin's falsetto, timing and phrasing (especially her backing vocals) sound strikingly similar to MJ's.

Turn On The Action

Razzamatazz

It must be an omen: when I went to Youtube to find the clips, when I clicked on the "Turn On The Action" video, an ad for MJ Ringtones was in one of the ad boxes.

Re: Patti Austin - Like Mike (She sounds like him)

eerie that is.

only in specific spots but nonetheless, eerie.

Yeah, it's definitely only in specific parts, but when it's there, it's there! I had to give some of those tracks a few listenings when I first heard the album a few years back to convince myself he wasn't popping up on there.

Michael does appear on that album. Check the credits, lol...

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,111835,00.html

• Quincy Jones
  • Trumpet, Main Performer, Vocals (Background), Vocals, Producer, Arranger

Hmmm, interesting. I'd like to see what tracks he specifically appears on. I bought the album on iTunes so I don't have access to the liner notes. Still though, the lines are still blurred because they sound so much alike.

Good topic. I have been trying to find out if he did background on a song of hers called "Do you Love Me". It came on the radio during the late 80's and the DJ said it was an older song (from the early 80's) done by Patti Austin and Michael Jackson...but I can not find MJ credited on that song at all. However, it does sound like he's singing background. I posted this question on the youtube video to the song but never checked back to see if anyone answered.

Good catch about her and MJ sounding alike. I've always thought so as well...at least on certain songs. Her album "Every Home SHould Have One" is really good, too.

Hmmm, interesting. I'd like to see what tracks he specifically appears on. I bought the album on iTunes so I don't have access to the liner notes. Still though, the lines are still blurred because they sound so much alike.

He sings background on the title track, "The Dude".

A1 Ai No Corrida (6:18) Backing Vocals - Jim Gilstrap , Patti Austin , Tom Bahler
Lead Vocals - Charles May A2 The Dude (5:35) Backing Vocals - James Ingram , Jim Gilstrap , LaLomie Washburn , Michael Jackson , Patti Austin , Quincy Jones , Syreeta Wright*
Lead Vocals - James Ingram A3 Just Once (4:32) Backing Vocals - Patti Austin
Lead Vocals - James Ingram A4 Betcha' Wouldn't Hurt Me (3:33) Lead Vocals - Patti Austin B1 Something Special (4:03) Backing Vocals - Jim Gilstrap , Tom Bahler
Lead Vocals - Patti Austin B2 Razzamatazz (4:20) Backing Vocals - Casey Cysick , Yvonne Lewis
Lead Vocals - Patti Austin B3 One Hundred Ways (4:19) Lead Vocals - James Ingram B4 Velas (4:05) B5 Turn On The Action (4:17) Backing Vocals - Casey Cysick , Yvonne Lewis
Lead Vocals - Patti Austin

Patti Austin did sing with Michael in "It's the Falling In Love."

^I love that track.

So, he was only on the title track on "The Dude". Thanks for clarifying. So yeah, definitely a very strong similarity between Patti and MJ.

Also, she looks fantastic now. She looks younger now than she did twenty five + years ago.

Back