Guide on how to tell if it's a tabloid

Dorothy_Marie

Proud Member
Attention all members:
For the last several weeks there have been many members posting Tabloids either in the News Thread or in this forum (Michael Jackson General Discussion). I know sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference from a tabloid to real news. I want to help you out in that area since it's something we have to do everyday in the news dept. I will explain to you step by step in how to tell the difference and where to put it if it is a tabloid.

1. Tabloid articles are from sources such as these (the Sun,News of the World, National Enquier, Roger Friedman,New York Post, New York Daily News, and many others) Also another tabloid source could be rumors coming from other people such as a friend, or if a news article states 'sources close to Michael, family friend close to Michael, or whatever else close to Michael.'

2. Reliable sources are from Michael's PR people such as Dr. Tohme (Scoop Marketing),Associated Press,Rueters, ABC, NBC,CBS, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, and others who seem to be posting the same news as other reliable sources.

3.Please read and re-read what you are about to post. If you read it and it makes no sense what was being written about Michael and you have knowledge of certain things regarding him then you should make sense of it being tabloid or not.

4. Please make sure what you are about to post is going to the right area of the forum. Tabloids DO NOT go to the Daily News Threads or any other forum except for Tabloid Talk in STFU forum.

5. Always ask questions about weather the article is a tabloid or not. You may ask any staff member and they can help you. If they cannot help you then I'm sure we could find an answer and would let you know as soon as possible.

6. Please remember that tabloids are lies and we shouldn't let the lies get to us. We should remember to be positive and think about postivite news when it comes to Michael. Remember what Michael says: Just because you read it in a magazine doesn't make it factual, actual!

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread and hope you have learned something about tabloids. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me or any other staff member. :)

much needed topic, thanks very much Dorothy! its important that we all know when we read an article thats verified by real sources, or one which is pure fabrication with "sources close to Michael"

lol this topic made me laugh...especially the part with "whatever close to Michael" :D

good thread, all the fans should read this before posting stuff...

^^
hehe :p

and you quoted Tabloid Junkie at the end :p
that made me laugh :lol:

and thanks for this one....the tabloids annoy me but some ppl have been posting it in here and i can't help but notice it ugh!!
but thank you for this one...hopefully this can clarify it now :yes:
ty once more XD

totally...

hope this keeps the BS out of the forum...

still, I think we'll always need a thread saying that an specific article that has been circulating the net is in fact false....cause there will always be someone new posting "Have u heard of this??? OMG"

Thanks a lot, Dorothy. This is important information.

That's a good list of tabloids, but there may be others that you don't recognize. The biggest clue is the SOURCES in the article. Anything that says, "pals say," "sources close to the entertainer have told us," "his friends are saying," "insiders," and that type of stuff. That is a clear indication of tabloid writing. If they can't name NAMES of who gave them the information, it's 99% certain to be bogus.

It gets even trickier. Recently Comcast news (just a news-gatherer) repeated (in headlines) that same story about Michael's health and named the name of the "source." But I'm sure by now, we all recognize the source of the story (Ian Halperin, a known tabloid writer), and you know which story I'm talking about? So even with a recognized news source, it may be tabloid material if that is where it originates.

So when you are reading "news" and thinking about posting, please read carefully as to the name of the news-medium (New York Times as opposed to National Enquirer) and also read the text for the above phrases. If you are still not sure, please ask someone on the news-staff for help if you think it should be posted.

Thanks,

Vic

yes..thanks for this. but, what if the Los Angeles times refers to MJ as J****? how do we know it's not tabloid? every news source seems to refer to him by that name, whether 'legitimate' or not.

yes..thanks for this. but, what if the Los Angeles times refers to MJ as J****? how do we know it's not tabloid? every news source seems to refer to him by that name, whether 'legitimate' or not.

What I do is if the story is legit and it has that stupid name then I just delete it and replace J**** with Michael Jackson.

Thanks.

Not that I ever was in much of a doubt wheter it was factual og BS tabloid!

You forgot one "source"....anything calling itself Global Grind....well, er....you know. It aint CNN, so just toss that one too!! LOL!!

Thank you mariemarie for bumping this up and finding it for me as this is really needed again. Please remember everything you read about Michael is not true. Read through the guide to refresh your memory.

Back