Two new interviews with Akon and Will.I.Am about Michael's album

The thanks goes to MJJC member Alma for sending these my way. I don't belive they've been posted yet. It's two interviews, one with Akon, one with Will.I.Am, about Michael's album. Will.I.Am's was translated from spanish, but his offers the most interesting insight. So here you go.

Will I Am on Michael Jackson’s New Album – News bit posted on January, 14, 2009 on mjhideout.com

Little by little, the outcome of one of the most important music rumors lately is getting more credible.

In a brief interview with British magazine, „Mojo”, Will I Am offers new details on Michael Jackson’s new album, and describes it as: „An incredible vocal work”.

As usual, of course, the work is a result of a large creative process.

Michael Jackson’s new album, with collaborations by Teddy Riley, Neff-U and Kanye West (among others) is in the works.

The album was initiated in 2006, in Irland, then in ffice:smarttags" />9-1-2009) Singer Akon gave an interview to the German newspaper FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung): FAZ: One can barely listen to the radio without hearing any of your vocals. Even Michael Jackson asked you for your services recently. Akon: That was one of the best and at the same time most embarassing phone calls of my life. Of course I knew the voice. But would Michael Jackson call me? That must be a bad joke of my agent. [/IMG]

FAZ: Then you went into the studio with Jackson to record some song written by you?
AKON: We were on the same wavelength, had the same ideas, were crazy about the same melodies. You are soon going to hear it on Michael's new album! I was especially surprised what a cool, humble guy Michael Jackson is.

FAZ: Did you feel being an equal partner?

AKON: Yes. I think we even became some kind of friends. One time Michael said:"Let's go to the movies." In a public movie theater! I had no idea how he wanted to do that without causing a crowd. But he put himself and his son a scarf around the face in bedouin style. And I did the same. That way the three of us passed the cashpoint of the movie theater without any problems.

Source: MJFC / MJFC Germany / FAZ

Thanks for posting.

Hopefully we get some concrete information on this work sooner than later. The wait has been looooong!

I personally dont think im going to like this new album from what iv heard so far, i mean will.i.am states the rhythm isnt very erratic, doesnt that mean that the album isnt very rhythmic :-( and hes working with teddy riley and neff-u who i dont rate. I also hate akon, the guy cant even sing he uses autotune, hes just a guy who has it lucky. If all i have to base mj's new sound for this album is "hold my hand" then im looking to be dissapointed because as much as we all big the song up and say how gud it is, really deep down we all no its just a stereotypical Akon song with mj's vocals, theres simply nothing great about that song its just alright. Nd by the way will.i.am explains the album i get the feeling this album is gunu be very hip hoppy espesh with kanye working on it and also have lots of slow songs on it like invincible but with good vocals. I wAs hoping for more soul/funky/rythmic kinda music like all of his greatest music.

id like to know how much more than that small quote actually came from will in that article. did he mention teddy and kanye or is that just the magazine taking from all the rumours that have gone.we know will ahs done a few songs from mj so is his quote below just about those 3 songs or has he actually heard more songs ie most of the album.because as normal a big article has been created around a small quote that doesnt really tell us much more than we already know. are will songs even on the album

The rhythm is not very erratic / the beats are not too crazy. But, definitely, the vocals are simply incredible. Some songs could stand the test of time / could stay relevant for generations to come.”

I think the album is very close, and that i got a great feelin we will get something this summer, plus we will hear concrete release dates and titles etc about new projects * March/April*

Terry

I think the album is very close, and that i got a great feelin we will get something this summer, plus we will hear concrete release dates and titles etc about new projects * March/April*

Terry

I hope you are right!

Would be soo nice if we get something this year!

Thanks for posting.
Hopefully we get some concrete information on this work sooner than later. The wait has been looooong!
And excrutiating.

This album is sooooo anticipated that you can only hope that the rumors of it becomes truths.
Little by little, the outcome of one of the most important music rumors lately is getting more credible.

Not much drum and rythm, just great vocals. That means it's gonna be another Invincible album. Slow songs.

The new album isn't gonna be another Invincible. I can't see MJ wanted to make a clone of Invincible, he's allready made that album and all of MJ's albums sound different from one another anyway

I think Will has chosen his words carefully to say that the new album will not contain songs that sound like the upbeat songs on Invincible. The beats on the faster Vince songs (Unbreakable etc) were too ‘eratic’ and ‘crazy’ IMO. It got so that there was too much noise on those songs and sounded too hectic. I think Will just means that the songs are going to have a ‘smooth’ sound and that’s not necessarily saying they are all going to be slow songs like Butterflies (I love butterflies BTW). If Mike was to bring back a really smooth sound with great vocals I would be happy as long as there are at least a few upbeat songs on it, and I think that is what people want to hear. That song that leaked with Usher and T Pain called ‘Stop Playin’ was a good example of a smooth sound and would fit Mike perfectly IMO. I think Will knows what people loved about Mike back in the day with OTW and he was aiming for that kind of vibe to bring Mike back.

BUT as we all know, Mike is super picky about what goes on the album and Will might not even know which songs will appear on the final cut. Will knows what his own songs sounded like and perhaps the general direction for the album, but we still don’t know whether he has actually heard other songs or if he has even spoken to Mike since summer 2007. He could be way out of the loop by now. It’s been 18 months since he recorded his songs and a lot can change in that time, especially with Mike working with different producers/writers and different influences.

BTW, did I hear a while ago that Mike was working with RedOne? I had never heard of him then, but recently I heard he has been working with Lady GaGa. She’s having great success and if RedOne has worked on some of Mike’s tracks perhaps some of the success will rub off.

tnx for posting nice news :)
If will thinks the beats arnt that tight then there just really good :p
Will's beats are not so good so ;)

I have heard some of those songs and I have to say it proves how much great singing can make as a result. In overall those songs are quite a simple but singing is from another planet. I have never heard anything like that. And it's all good.

There was a quote by Will.I.Am in the past saying that the songs he and Michael worked on were "upbeat and dancefloor ready". Most of Will.I.Am's work is more upbeat, although he has produced some slower songs. This doesn't go with what was said in this article. Was this article even translated properly? I wouldn't believe anything yet at all. Just my opinion.

All I care about right now are his VOCALS! Everything will fall into place, but knowing that his voice is still incredible is all I care about right now. GO MJ!

I won't believe in anything untill the album is released.

Um, I don't like Miké working with T-pain I'd have to admit.
But héy, it's Michael Jackson, we have to remember that! He knows what his doing, no doubt. :cool:

Ok, english is not my first language, so I had to look up the word 'erratic'.

1 a: having no fixed course : wandering barchaic : nomadic
2: transported from an original resting place especially by a glacier
3 a: characterized by lack of consistency, regularity, or uniformity b: deviating from what is ordinary or standard : eccentric

As far as I see it, this isn't about not having fast up-tempo songs on the album or not, but rather that the new songs really do have a consistent rhythm, without lots of wired sounds that seems and sounds like they're out of place. More focus on the melody and - as mentioned - the vocals. Just like Billie Jean, I can't relly say that song is erratic. :)

Ok, english is not my first language, so I had to look up the word 'erratic'.

1 a: having no fixed course : wandering barchaic : nomadic
2: transported from an original resting place especially by a glacier
3 a: characterized by lack of consistency, regularity, or uniformity b: deviating from what is ordinary or standard : eccentric

As far as I see it, this isn't about not having fast up-tempo songs on the album or not, but rather that the new songs really do have a consistent rhythm, without lots of wired sounds that seems and sounds like they're out of place. More focus on the melody and - as mentioned - the vocals. Just like Billie Jean, I can't relly say that song is erratic. :)

Good post:)
Makes things a bit clear here..
It's indeed more like michael to be more with melodies then drums.
Look at the way you make me feel, the drums are even melodie:)

no crazy beats ? michael dont tell me i've been waiting so damn long for sane beats ? :ranting

I don't care so much who he is working with, I just want a album.:punk:
But seems like a lot of collaborations. I'm curious.

ok so a list of people he might be working with....

Will I Am
Kanye
Red One
Akon
Teddy Riley
T-Pain
Lady Ga Ga

can someone add more? :bugeyed

I personally dont think im going to like this new album from what iv heard so far, i mean will.i.am states the rhythm isnt very erratic, doesnt that mean that the album isnt very rhythmic :-( and hes working with teddy riley and neff-u who i dont rate. I also hate akon, the guy cant even sing he uses autotune, hes just a guy who has it lucky. If all i have to base mj's new sound for this album is "hold my hand" then im looking to be dissapointed because as much as we all big the song up and say how gud it is, really deep down we all no its just a stereotypical Akon song with mj's vocals, theres simply nothing great about that song its just alright. Nd by the way will.i.am explains the album i get the feeling this album is gunu be very hip hoppy espesh with kanye working on it and also have lots of slow songs on it like invincible but with good vocals. I wAs hoping for more soul/funky/rythmic kinda music like all of his greatest music.

My thoughts exactly. I'm really worried that the likes of will.i.am and akon will ruin the new album.

i am pleased to hear the rhythem isnt irraric etc...thats what some of the probs with vince was...too much going on!
seems like Michael has stripped it all back, to classic melodies and grooves, and ofcourse "incredible vocals"...Im excited!!!

I don't care so much who he is working with, I just want a album.:punk:
But seems like a lot of collaborations. I'm curious.

ok so a list of people he might be working with....

Will I Am
Kanye
Red One
Akon
Teddy Riley
T-Pain
Lady Ga Ga

can someone add more? :bugeyed

who said lady gaga was workin wit mike??

Back