Remember The Time short film makes no sense

analogue

Proud Member
I love the short film for Remember The Time i think it's great but when you really think about it it didn't make much sense. I mean what as the song got to do with Ancient Egypt? and the lyrics on Remember The Time contains stuff like ''We stay on the phone at night till dawn''. Phones weren't around during Ancient Egypt times lol

Again great video but it dosen't make much sense lol

Well "You Rock My World" doesn't necessarily have to do with the Mafia and 30's style clubs either right?

What i'm saying is, Michaels videos arent always meant to fit the song word for word. I think he just wanted an Egyptian type film because he's somewhat interested in that culture.

I get what you're saying though.

Yeah, I thought the phone thing was kinda funny...
But I mean the song's... feel kind of fits the Egyptian theme, I think.
But that may just be me

:lol: i can imagine mike goin "heeheee heehee ... Ahhh *sighhhh*. ... Youve had ur laugh now roll the camera!"

:p

Anyway, on a more serious note i believe "music videos" made by other "artists" rarely make sense as they just stand before a green screen and put on excess makeup, singing about particularily nothing.
Michael made a SHORT FILM that surpassed the process of creativity. As Thomas Edison once said : "there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something!"

;)

i love the song and video , its like two different experiences

'Smooth Criminal' doesn't literally follow the lyrics either, neither does 'Jam' and some of his other videos. Lots of music videos by other acts have nothing to do with the song.

yes, there are some indescrepancies in that video, but it's still up there with one of my favorite videos of all time. I think all of his videos have some holes in them. But compared to all other crap out there, it still pales in comparison.

I never cared for the video. Magic Johnson is unintentionally funny and his 'acting' is pitiful. His appearance always struck me as contrived that since he was big in the media @ the time for having contracted AIDs, that's the reason he was put in the video (he's done nothing like it before or since).

I always thought it was grotesque that the first performer(s) got killed. I never like a protagonist chasing around such a witch who would so easily order someone's death because he didn't amuse her or her boorish husband. BTW, she's married, so I'd prefer to not see the hero of the video as an enabler of adultry.

Eddie Murphy keeps making weird faces. Is that supposed to be funny? "HA, look, Eddie's cocking his eyebrow! MJ's raising his suspician, ha ha!" . . . I didn't *get* the video when it came out, and I still detest it. Eddie Murphy's career had fully morphed into crap at this point, and it's pretty clear from this 'short film' that he lost any edge he had in the 80s if he thinks raising his eyebrow and flailing his arms is funny.

Nothing happens in the video to suggest the King treats the Queen poorly, so it only makes the protagonist look like a jerk for trying to steal her, and puzzling as to why he would even want her in the first place, aside from her power or beauty, which would just make the protagonist shallow. Yes I hear the lyrics -- the two had a past -- but she still comes across as an aloof, heartless murderer, so any redeeming qualities she may have had, she clearly lost them along w/ her value system.

It all just seems like an opportunity to showcase fancy special effects and celebrity friends w/ a 'big name director,' while throwing together weak characterization set to the backdrop of ancient egypt (oooo-kay?). It's easily my least favorite video.

^^^^^Magic never had AIDS, but HIV. It was common practice at the time to throw prisoners or jesters that failed to entertain to lions, tigers, or other animals that had been starved, it's even in the bible (Daniel). There was also gladiator fights to the death, animal fights, etc. Queens were commonly beheaded if the king (or vice versa if the queen was in charge) were tired of her, so the modern concept of 'marriage' is invalid. The average king usually had lots of concubines and the like anyway.

f_laugh.gif
"adultery enabler"...

of the few things i like about this short is ironically not much to do with the video but it's the drum and percussion beat behind the dance sequence and how it completely sets a groove for Mike to start ad lib'ing and go back into the song.

Teddy made a whole remix out of that beat, shame it wasn't released.

also in the Dangerous Tour rehearsals, drummer Ricky Lawson starts off the song with a beautiful African rhythm that i always thought should have been incorporated somewhere, anywhere official.

I never cared for the video. Magic Johnson is unintentionally funny and his 'acting' is pitiful. His appearance always struck me as contrived that since he was big in the media @ the time for having contracted AIDs, that's the reason he was put in the video (he's done nothing like it before or since).

I always thought it was grotesque that the first performer(s) got killed. I never like a protagonist chasing around such a witch who would so easily order someone's death because he didn't amuse her or her boorish husband. BTW, she's married, so I'd prefer to not see the hero of the video as an enabler of adultry.

Eddie Murphy keeps making weird faces. Is that supposed to be funny? "HA, look, Eddie's cocking his eyebrow! MJ's raising his suspician, ha ha!" . . . I didn't *get* the video when it came out, and I still detest it. Eddie Murphy's career had fully morphed into crap at this point, and it's pretty clear from this 'short film' that he lost any edge he had in the 80s if he thinks raising his eyebrow and flailing his arms is funny.

Nothing happens in the video to suggest the King treats the Queen poorly, so it only makes the protagonist look like a jerk for trying to steal her, and puzzling as to why he would even want her in the first place, aside from her power or beauty, which would just make the protagonist shallow. Yes I hear the lyrics -- the two had a past -- but she still comes across as an aloof, heartless murderer, so any redeeming qualities she may have had, she clearly lost them along w/ her value system.

It all just seems like an opportunity to showcase fancy special effects and celebrity friends w/ a 'big name director,' while throwing together weak characterization set to the backdrop of ancient egypt (oooo-kay?). It's easily my least favorite video.

u look a little to much into things

Lol, the vid is just pure fun and awesome entertainment. It's not meant to be taken as much else imo. And I totally agree with arXter - I love the beat in the video too!

f_laugh.gif
"adultery enabler"...

of the few things i like about this short is ironically not much to do with the video but it's the drum and percussion beat behind the dance sequence and how it completely sets a groove for Mike to start ad lib'ing and go back into the song.

Teddy made a whole remix out of that beat, shame it wasn't released.

also in the Dangerous Tour rehearsals, drummer Ricky Lawson starts off the song with a beautiful African rhythm that i always thought should have been incorporated somewhere, anywhere official.

I agree with you 100%, that beat is serious. Just wish it was a little longer!

BTW, she's married, so I'd prefer to not see the hero of the video as an enabler of adultry.

:lol:

My impression was always that she was bored in her marriage to the King, and that she was looking for fun and excitement. It seemed clear to me that she was fascinated by MJ's character, and attracted to him as well.

I agree with you 100%, that beat is serious. Just wish it was a little longer!
here's the unreleased Teddy demo mix where he used that rhythm throughout:

avoacy.jpg

Remember The Time (Remix #4)

download

also, Teddy used that same rhythm (either before or after RTT) to remix Hi-Five's njs classic:

20qkimg.jpg

Just Can't Handle It (12" Mix) [1990]

The video doesn't go with the song, but it's one of my favorite videos ever! I loved the dance routine in that video!!

Haha, what? Why does a music video have to be a re-enactment of the lyrics?
He was having fun, he was interested in Ancient Egypt, and I thought it was fabulous.

It's not like there's some unwritten rule that says a video has to have images of exactly what is portrayed in the song.
What about Say Say Say? Billie Jean?

Whoa, I think you're reading a little far into it.
Like another poster said, the first few performers being executed - that's just historically how it would have happened anyway...it's not like Michael had some weird macabre idea.

The video is lighthearted and fun. He wasn't trying to win an oscar for crying out loud.
You really can't just lighten up a little (I don't mean to be offensive, but there's really no other way to say it) and enjoy the choreography, the music and Michael?

Woah man...lighten up...

uhm...I'll say one thing love...

art doesn't make sense...

"sense" is stupid...anybody can use it to justify the most idiotic things in the world...

do you know what GREAT ART DOES MAKE?

It makes L. O. V. E. to the viewer, the listener, the observor.

It makes a door, a window to a world where everything is as bright as the Sun and brighter still.

Enjoy art...don't try and make sense of it...you'll never be able to appreciate it then.

If you want "sense" read a math theroum or something....
to you it would make sense...

but to me...

the only thing that makes "sense"

is art...

art and love.

uhm...I'll say one thing love...

art doesn't make sense...

"sense" is stupid...anybody can use it to justify the most idiotic things in the world...

do you know what GREAT ART DOES MAKE?

It makes L. O. V. E. to the viewer, the listener, the observor.

It makes a door, a window to a world where everything is as bright as the Sun and brighter still.

Enjoy art...don't try and make sense of it...you'll never be able to appreciate it then.

If you want "sense" read a math theroum or something....
to you it would make sense...

but to me...

the only thing that makes "sense"

is art...

art and love.

AMEN girl.

^ Lol.

Yay for art and love. :wub:

Let it make sense to you however it does :yes:

Um can I just say Michael is hotness in the video lol.

Back