Jan 30 - Feb 1: Jackson 5 comes to Gary for show

mariemarie

Guests
I love Fridays!

Second sight

A YEAR ago this week, at the ramshackle premises of Skinnyfish Music in Darwin, the tension and excitement were high. The launch date was looming for the first solo album by an unusual performer: Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu, an Aboriginal musician, born blind, from Elcho Island in northeast Arnhem Land.

But Gurrumul -- quiet, seated on stage, still as a stone -- reaches to his listeners in another way. There is his sweetness and his tone of sadness. There is the complete absence in him of anger or political edge. There is the air of mystic insight that clings to the blind songman. There is another quality about him, too, which is quite hard to fix: it is not androgyny, but a universality, a being beyond age-group or gender. In this it is much like the appeal the young Michael Jackson, with his pure voice, held for a worldwide audience in his great days.

More http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24970270-5013575,00.html

ROBBIE DOES A JACKSON-STYLE COVER-UP

RECLUSIVE pop star Robbie Williams wrapped himself up like Jackson when he was snapped for the first time after returning to Britain.
Only instead of wearing a mask like Michael Jackson, the former Take That star hid behind a balaclava.

The camera-shy singer completed the cover-up with shades and a black bomber jacket when he visited a bicycle shop near the £7million rural bolthole he has bought in Compton Bassett, Wilts.
But that did not stop an army of fans descending on the shop in Swindon, where Robbie, 34, splashed out more than £10,000 on two Italian Bianchi bikes.

The bizarre appearance fuelled speculation that Robbie has moved back to Britain after several years in Los Angeles. Shop manager Freddie Platt said: “He just turned up out of the blue.”
One of the fans, singer-songwriter Emma Payn, 28, of Swindon, said: “I invited him to my gig this coming Saturday and he said he might head along. It’s unlikely he will but, hey, we’ll see.”

lol http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/67764/Robbie-does-a-*****-style-cover-up/

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1981 - Michael Jackson won the Favorite Male Artist, Soul/R&B and Favorite Album, Soul/R&B catagories at the 8th annual American Music Awards.

1989 - Michael Jackson was presented with the Special Award of Achievement by Eddie Murphy at the 16th annual American Music Awards.

2004 - Michael Jackson's lawyers made their initial demand for discovery (of evidence) in Jackson's child molestation case.

2005 - Michael Jackson issued a court-approved video statement on his Web site that responded to recent leaks of information concerning his pending child molestation trial. The trial started the next day.

770895~1%5B1%5D.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 30 - 01 Feb - Mentionings

http://www.myparkmag.co.uk/articles/celebrity/ne-yos-jackson-prediction--.html

Ne-Yo says Michael Jackson's comeback could be the "greatest ever".

The R'n'B singer - who is currently touring with the Pussycat Dolls - has been writing songs for the 'Thriller' singer's new LP, and admits he is incredibly excited about Michael's material.

He said: "I've been submitting songs and he's been picking the ones he likes. But I've no idea when the album will come out. That's a question for Michael.

"This is such a huge record for him so he can be as picky as he likes. It's either going to be the greatest comeback ever or a really sad attempt at recapturing old glories. And we don't want it to be the latter."

Ne-Yo - whose real name is Shaffer Chimere Smith - admits he was shaking like a leaf the first time he met his idol to discuss the album.

He said: "He is one of my heroes and meeting him was surreal. At first, I didn't know what to say but we soon broke the ice by chatting about music.

"Also it's no secret I hung up on him the first time he called. "Someone calling himself 'Mike' rang me, and I hung up because I thought it was a joke. Ten minutes later, I got a call from his manager saying that Michael Jackson really did want to talk to me."

Ne-Yo - who has previously penned hits for Rihanna, New Kids On The Block, Celine Dion and Lionel Richie - recently revealed he wants to duet with 'Just Dance' singer Lady GaGa.

The 29-year-old star said: "I really hope Lady GaGa and I can work together. I have never been so excited about an artist before.

© BANG Media International

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

http://www.denverpost.com/celebritybuzz/ci_11590171

The people at Juliens Auctions have a massive job sorting through the contents of Neverland in preparation for the auction of Michael Jackson's possessions on April 21. Jackson apparently walked away from Neverland
Michael Jackson's former home, Neverland

and left everything behind him, according to janetcharltonshollywood.com.
His possessions are being held in a warehouse in Los Angeles

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1233050210801&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

Genre is a troublesome word when it comes to BBB. "Reporters always try to pigeon hole us. But we just let the music that's inside us come out. We want to tell musicians that they shouldn't feel any shame in their roots, in their influences," Muskat says. "Both me and Kaplan come from families deeply rooted in Balkan. But we also listened to Madonna and Michael Jackson as kids. And we heard klezmer music at our grandparents. Our music is what comes out from that mix."

http://www.oregonlive.com/tailgate/index.ssf/2009/01/friday_run_around_links_notes_3.html

Fentress, our man in Tampa, is a Michael Jackson fan. Big time. But he swung by the Springsteen news conference yesterday, stayed for a few minutes and bolted. It was a zoo, he said. Apparently, everything at the Super Bowl is a zoo. That's all anyone says about it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...with-william-for-pepsi-super-bowl-commercial/

By appearing in the Pepsi ad, Dylan becomes a part of Super Bowl advertising tradition that in the past has included artists like Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Willie Nelson and many more. For your viewing pleasure, we’ve collected the 20 best rock star-filled Super Bowl ads. And just a reminder, Rock Daily will be at the Steelers vs. the Cardinals, so check back for all things Springsteen and gridiron this weekend.

http://www.projo.com/tv/content/lb_memorable_half_times_01-31-09_0DD4U0E_v15.1ce8a05.html

Larry Fitzgerald, wide receiver, Arizona Cardinals: “Michael Jackson is always good. But I don’t really care this year ’cause I won’t be able to watch (laughs). I’ll be inside making my halftime adjustments!”

Michael Jackson Mentionings for Jan 31, 2009:

http://www.business24-7.ae/articles/2009/1/pages/01312009_0b898ca5a24046a29f8c4f74bdaf7140.aspx

Motown Records turned 50 this month – the very label that made legends out of Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder and Diana Ross.
Emirates Business chats with founder Berry Gordy, 79, about all things Hitsville [the birthplace of Motwon Records in Michigan, US] as he spills the beans on why he turned down Jackson at first, why Wonder was nothing but a nuisance and why he sold the company in 1988.

So did you turn down Michael Jackson?

That is correct. When Michael was offered to me by Suzanne de Passe [current CEO of De Passe Entertainment Group, then Creative Assistant to Gordy], I did not want him because he was part of a kids' group. I'd been with Stevie Wonder, who had also been part of a kids' group and had an entourage with him all the time – a strict teacher, a tutor, his mother, producer Clarence Paul and a whole group of people. Plus, he was a blind singer who wasn't making any money and I had to pay for all those people. So I was not happy with him, nor with his mother, who was even more demanding than he was.

So when Suzanne said, "Well, I got this kids' group", I said, "No, I don't want to hear anything." And she said: "Just listen to them."

And when I saw, such great choreography, Michael was just a star. He was doing splits and dancing like James Brown and cute as he could be. So I said: "Ok, I'm hooked."

It was amazing. Michael was very smart as a producer and an incredible performer.
Will we see you at the Jackson 5 reunion?

I heard about it. I haven't been in touch with them, but I think it would be great.

New releases cash in

Motown marks its big anniversary with a year-long series of new releases, including a set of podcasts featuring intimate conversations with its musicians. First up is an interview with Smokey Robinson reflecting on Motown's early days, his relationship with founder Berry Gordy and the label's impact on American culture.

Fresh episodes will debut biweekly, including those with Gordy; the late Levi Stubbs of the Four Tops; the Temptations' Otis Williams and the late Melvin Franklin; Stevie Wonder; Levi Stubbs; Diana Ross; Marvin Gaye; and the Jackson 5.

http://www.post-trib.com/news/1407056,jfive.article

Jackson 5 comes to Gary for show

The famous singing Jackson brothers, minus Michael, are coming to Gary, the mayor's office confirmed Friday afternoon.

LaLosa Burns, spokeswoman for the mayor's office, said A&E Television Networks contacted the mayor's office a week ago.
"They called and said they were coming to do a documentary and it includes the Jacksons," Burns said. "They're still looking for locations here."
Burns said A&E did not say when the documentary would be filmed.
Tito Jackson broke the news earlier Friday in a live interview on Vocalo, a division of WBEZ public radio in Chicago.
"I'm happy to announce that within a few weeks time the brothers are going back," Tito Jackson said in the interview. "We'll be there."
Jackson said the documentary will focus on the 40th anniversary of the release of the Jacksons' "I Want You Back" and the 50th anniversary of Motown.
The documentary will be a reality-type show based on the famous brothers' roots, how they coped and put them "right back in the house where they started at 2300 Jackson St.," said Jackson, who left with the family for Hollywood when he was 14.
Tito Jackson said his famous brother won't be coming back to Gary with the family.
"But we have the rest of the clan participating. We're going to be shooting a tv special and we'll visit different locations -- high schools, and neighbors. It's premature to speak of a direct plan. I'm look ing forward to coming back and see friends." In October brother Jermaine Jackson confirmed rumors that The Jackson 5 would reunite and tour this year.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_11593051

That spirit was still strong in the 1980s when former NFL football player Mark Seay, class of 1985, attended. Seay was a receiver on the 1995 edition of the San Diego Chargers, who faced the San Francisco 49ers in the Super Bowl that year.
Along with being a standout all-around athlete, he was a member of the Alive Club, a strong social club on campus. By that time, the styles of the 1950s were long gone. Students preferred to dress like singer Michael Jackson and participate in the breakdancing scene.

Michael Jackson HIStory fo Jan 31, 2009:

1983 - Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was certified Gold and Platinum by the RIAA.

1993 - In Pasadena, CA, Michael Jackson performed at the half time show during Superbowl XXVII. The 12-ton stage was assembled in under four minutes.

2004 - Santa Barbara's County Sheriff's Department executed a search warrant of Marc Schaffel's home in relation to their Michael Jackson child molestation case. Computers, business files and contracts were seized. Schaffel had worked with Jackson on the video for "What More Can I Give."

2005 - In Santa Barbara, CA, Michael Jackson's trial for child molestation charges began.

2006 - "Maximum Michael Jackson: Innocent" was released. The audio CD recounted details of the events that led up to the Jackson trial and the case itself.

Last edited:
Michael Jackson Mentionings for Feb 1, 2009:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i8fmlLgfRR4IVJUU_exFgt-IVO0gD963542O1

Springsteen is riding a new wave of exposure and popularity, playing for President Barack Obama in Washington before the inauguration, releasing his 24th album this week and winning a Golden Globe award for his song from the Mickey Rourke movie "The Wrestler."
In 1988, Chubby Checker was the first popular musician to perform at halftime, and Michael Jackson raised the bar in 1993. His sister Janet provided the show's most infamous moment with 2004's "wardrobe malfunction."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...score-night--Michael-Underwood-gets-boot.html

She said she was 'so pleased' to have scored better than last week and that she had improved.

Ray Quinn skated to Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal with Maria Filippov.
He received a score of 24, despite making a slight stumble during a spin

http://news.stv.tv/entertainment/73426-michael-underwood-is-latest-ice-casualty/

Next up was Ray Quinn with pro partner Maria. Their routine was to Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal and included Jackson's signature Moonwalk. They scored 24 for what Christopher Dean described as, "a very technical routine."

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyl...rksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ

To make sure our legs got their $17 worth, Lynden led us to "The Twist," jogs in place, invisible jump ropes, and one-legged hops. Gloria Gaynor's voice rang through the room with everyone shouting/singing, "I will survive!" as we sat on our butts gripping weights to chest and leaning back to twist right and left. We did situps, raising the weights high during the lift, when suddenly we were on our feet again grooving to Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean."

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/story/566513.html

Michael Jackson HIStory for Feb 1, 2009:

1989 - Lavon A. Muhammad was sentenced to a maximum of 2 1/2 years in prison for violating a court order to stay away from Michael Jackson. She also lost her £100 million paternity suit. She had claimed that Jackson was the father of her twins.

Thanks for the news.

Great Ne-Yo interview.

Thanks for the news. I'll look out for the Motown 50 interviews :)

yes its billie jean the one who just filed another paternity suit for a $billion a month or so ago.

yes its billie jean the one who just filed another paternity suit for a $billion a month or so ago.
In related news, that other nutjob Helen Harris-Scott's case is still active (pending appeal) with yet another hearing on it in Santa Monica today...despite the judge dismissing the case nearly two years ago. Amazing how much money Michael spends each year on defense litigation alone for such false and ludicrous lawsuits.

I love how the courts just keep playing their game when the issue of paternity has already been put to rest. All you have left is harassement on their part then...must be costing him a pretty penny for all of these nuisance lawsuits making their way into the courts... bogus lawsuits should be coming out of their own damn pockets not his. Sure they go to jail for a bit, then get out and the whole thing starts all over again.

I hope MJJcommunity or someone within knowledge will keep us informed about when the Jacksons will be in Gary, IN. I am an Indiana resident and I would love to try and be there to show my support to the family and hopefully meet any of them. I will also share what I hear being that I am so close. Yay Jacksons!!!

quit pulling my chain!

There ain't gonna be no album! He's going to spend the rest of his days going around town dressed like Zorro!:timer:

In related news, that other nutjob Helen Harris-Scott's case is still active (pending appeal) with yet another hearing on it in Santa Monica today...despite the judge dismissing the case nearly two years ago. Amazing how much money Michael spends each year on defense litigation alone for such false and ludicrous lawsuits

he should be counter sueing instead of making himself such an easy target. put these ppl out on the street instead of letting ppl file time after time. being nice never gets u anywhere but being treated like a doormat

Back