'Privacy' > Reference to Princess Diana?

Stargirl

Proud Member
When you listen to the song 'Privacy' and hear the lyrics carefully... I think one can tell there are some references of Princess Diana. Like when he says :

Some of you still wonder why, one of my friends had to die
To get a message across, that yet you haven't heard
my friend was chased and confused, like many others i knew
But on that cold winter night, my pride was slashed away

Does any1 else think the same?

Last edited:
I've always wondered if he was talking about her ... especially if you continue that verse:

"She get no second chance; she ridiculed and harassed."

Obviously he's been very open about his relationship with her, so it makes sense. The only part that doesn't jive is the "on that cold winter's night" bit. She was killed in late August. But maybe he threw in that curveball so it wasn't COMPLETELY obvious who he was referring to.

It was, he and diana were really close.

This is what happends when someone is pushed to far. they end up writing a song or a poem to get it off their chest. In this Case Lady Diana was added to the song because of a Tragic accident or murder. She didnt deserve the treatment she got and neither does Michael.

Yes it's obviously about Diana :)

I wonder how many of his songs are based on true stories, like some songs is so crypted. like heartbreak hotel, who is it, give in to me.

I always thought so too and yes, the cold winter night stumped me lol, but maybe he means it was cold because of what happened? Like in stranger in moscow, he talks about an inner coldness, rather than him physically being cold in his body..he means it emotionally.

and who are the 'many others i knew?'

sounds like he meant it

well he had other friends in the Biz that was treated like dirt just like him.

In many peoples eyes this song is about wanting to keep out of the public eye and not being able to do that be cause no matter where he goes he gets chased and harassed by the paps.

Diana was an unfortunate "Accedent". If you are a fan of Michaels you know that the 2 were very close friends. When someone you love dies you feel empty.... This is the feeling he is talking about with the line " ON That Cold Winter Night"......

He's def talking about Princess Diana with those lyrics.

But the "on that cold winter night....," lyric I think that's referancing to what happened back in 93' when allegations broke against MJ. The allegations did come about around winter didnt they?

When MJ was interviewed on the Barbara Walter's show, he talked about how he felt when told of Princess Diana's death. I do feel he was referring to her in this song.

Yes, it was about Diana.

And if you think about the "cold winter's night" bit a little harder...that's not the season Diana was killed, it was the season Michael had to endure pride-ripping police photos back in early 90's. Remember in "They Don't Care About Us" he sang, "They're raping me of my pride, oh for God's sake". That was a torturous time for him. :( It left emotional scars.

Back