Feb 10 News and mentionings

mariemarie

Guests
DPA 4011 Microphone Celebrates 20-Year Anniversary

The DPA 4011 cardioid microphone – world-renowned for close-miking applications and for handling an exceptionally large dynamic range - has been in production for 20 years this year.​

dpa4011ann.jpg
To celebrate this important milestone, DPA is offering the 4011-TL with a special 11% price discount via local representatives. This includes a free-of-charge engraving, allowing customers to own a personalised version of one of the best quality microphones available. This offer is valid till the end of April 2009.
“When the 4011 was launched in 1988, its use was entirely aimed for the studio,” says DPA’s co-founder Morten Stove. “However it has become just as popular on the live stage, due to its fantastic specifications.”
Over its 20-year history, the DPA 4011 has become the mic of choice among professionals for handling high SPLs while simultaneously delivering a clear, well defined sound. Noted for its flat on-axis frequency response, the 4011 is also extremely linear off-axis, making it ideal as a spot microphone in addition to its close-miking applications. As testimony to the 4011’s instant recognition by the pro audio industry, it immediately won a TEC Award for Technical Excellence and Creativity following its launch in 1989.
Thousands of 4011s are in use internationally, with artists such as Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Herbie Hancock, the Rolling Stones, Seal, Monserrat Cabale and the KLF and Nigel Kennedy touring and recording with the mic. The 4011 is used by broadcasters worldwide including the BBC, Danish Broadcasting and the RAI, as well as at world-famous venues and studios such as the Hollywood Bowl, the Sydney, Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Oslo and Helsinki opera houses, Abbey Road, Galaxy Studios and Peter Gabriel’s Real World.

http://www.lightsoundjournal.com/viewnews.php?id=20517

Over-the-top, outgoing Matty Mailler keeps customers happy at unconventional convenience store

The chances of entering Matty’s and encountering a disinterested cashier with a frown and a phone pinned to his or her ear are virtually nil.​

Instead, you are far more likely to be greeted by a boisterous long-haired man with a gift for gab and a camera in his hand. He’s also the guy responsible for the goofy sign in the window.​

This would be Matty — Matty Mailler, one of the wackiest, funniest, friendliest convenience store owners you’re ever likely to come across.​

He loves to talk sports (he’s a diehard New York Yankees and Pittsburgh Steelers fan), is constantly adding new playlists to the store’s iPod, which blasts everything from Pearl Jam to Michael Jackson to Leona Lewis, and good-naturedly brags that his variety of Green Mountain coffees is “the best in the state.”

And you all know by now that Mark geragos will represent Chris Brown. There are, of course by no surprise, many articles today who are mentioning Chris Brown. Michael Jackson, Winona Ryder and Kobe Bryan are often mentioned in those articles too...

A Lesson in Music

Branden Price reflects on past artists' influence on today's industry using examples of the greats.

Growing up in the musical era of artists that varied from Michael Jackson and Outkast to Whitney Houston and the Wu-Tang Clan, it is safe to say that I was born into a very interesting time period.

As a child, I had musical backing from artists mainly in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, as with most American children. If you were to ask any student of the music they listened to that is not recent, it would most likely come from that time period. I too love this time period but being a musician myself, I feel there is so much more to music than just the Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Prince and the Jacksons.​

The Question I have to you is, do you know that what you are listening to probably came from another artist's work? Do you know where it originated? Well here is your history lesson.​

We will start in the 1920s-1940s, when music was the most pure. Pure in a sense that there was more instrumental music, and the dawn of classical blues and jazz. There is not a greater sound than those of Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra.

During this time period you had war and even the Great Depression, but that did not stop these musicians from cranking out what seemed like happy songs about life and love. If you need an example of reference: "Ol' Blue Eyes" by Frank Sinatra, "My Way" or "As Time Goes By". If you need more check out "The First Lady of Song" by Ella Fitzgerald featuring Louis Armstrong on "Summertime."​

You will find the songs lyrics were more different then and more like a story.My personal favorite part of this musical era is the instrumental sounds, you can not get any more musical than that! Needless to say, this era was pivotal to the development of some of the newer styles of performance and even genres. The 50s-70s, which is very familiar to many of us, happens to be my favorite musical era there are so many changes in style and delivery and the music was definitely the most poetic.​

Grammy viewership up 11% from last year

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 9 (Xinhua) -- About 19.05 million viewers watched the Grammy Awards ceremony in Los Angeles on Sunday, compared to 17.18 million last year, according to preliminary figures released Monday by Nielsen Media Research.

The 11-percent increase in viewership for the coverage of the Grammy Awards by Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) was due to a diverse lineup of performers and an aggressive marketing effort, which led to a 23 percent increase among viewers aging 18 to 34, CBS said.

"The Recording Academy put on quite a show -- an unprecedented 24 performances and a range of artists that appealed to teens, young adults and boomers," said Jack Sussman, CBS Entertainment's executive vice president for specials, music and live events. "It was a broadcast with something for every generation."
20405925.jpg

The achievement countered the trend of declining ratings for awards shows. Viewership for awards telecasts has generally fallen in recent years, because the increasing number of such shows makes each one less unique.
Additionally, like all forms of television programming, they are subject to increased competition from cable television, the Internet, video games and home video for viewers' attention.

Despite the increase, viewership for this year's ceremony was just one-third the record 51.67 million viewers who tuned in when Michael Jackson, at the height of his popularity, won a record eight Grammys in 1984. That telecast came when there were just three major broadcast networks and less competition for viewers from cable television.
Final national figures are scheduled to be released Tuesday.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/10/content_10794258.htm

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1979 - The Jacksons performed "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)" on "American Bandstand."

1992 - MTV's first global sweepstakes, "My Dinner with Michael" began.

1993 - Michael Jackson granted his first interview in 14 years to Oprah Winfrey. In the interview, Jackson claimed that he has a disorder (vitiligo) that destroys the pigmentation of the skin and that he had had very little plastic surgery.

PN002331.jpg

Last edited:
My dinner with Michael was a competition held by MTV. Winners got to have a meal with Michael - well, he was there but not convinced the winners actually had dinner with him. It was held in a big tent out in the desert and just after the filming of 'In The Closet'. Naomi Campbell was there and Michael led the Conga line!! :clapping:

its great that his best Grammys, is the world record, thats nice.
And also with the Dinner with Michael photos, he should start wearing those sunglasses again!

Thank you for the news and mentionings Marie and also for the pics Agnes. Most of those photos I haven't seen before. I love those shades he's wearing.

DPA 4011 Microphone Celebrates 20-Year Anniversary

The DPA 4011 cardioid microphone – world-renowned for close-miking applications and for handling an exceptionally large dynamic range - has been in production for 20 years this year.​

dpa4011ann.jpg
To celebrate this important milestone, DPA is offering the 4011-TL with a special 11% price discount via local representatives. This includes a free-of-charge engraving, allowing customers to own a personalised version of one of the best quality microphones available. This offer is valid till the end of April 2009.
“When the 4011 was launched in 1988, its use was entirely aimed for the studio,” says DPA’s co-founder Morten Stove. “However it has become just as popular on the live stage, due to its fantastic specifications.”
Over its 20-year history, the DPA 4011 has become the mic of choice among professionals for handling high SPLs while simultaneously delivering a clear, well defined sound. Noted for its flat on-axis frequency response, the 4011 is also extremely linear off-axis, making it ideal as a spot microphone in addition to its close-miking applications. As testimony to the 4011’s instant recognition by the pro audio industry, it immediately won a TEC Award for Technical Excellence and Creativity following its launch in 1989.
Thousands of 4011s are in use internationally, with artists such as Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Herbie Hancock, the Rolling Stones, Seal, Monserrat Cabale and the KLF and Nigel Kennedy touring and recording with the mic. The 4011 is used by broadcasters worldwide including the BBC, Danish Broadcasting and the RAI, as well as at world-famous venues and studios such as the Hollywood Bowl, the Sydney, Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Oslo and Helsinki opera houses, Abbey Road, Galaxy Studios and Peter Gabriel’s Real World.

http://www.lightsoundjournal.com/viewnews.php?id=20517

Over-the-top, outgoing Matty Mailler keeps customers happy at unconventional convenience store

The chances of entering Matty’s and encountering a disinterested cashier with a frown and a phone pinned to his or her ear are virtually nil.​

Instead, you are far more likely to be greeted by a boisterous long-haired man with a gift for gab and a camera in his hand. He’s also the guy responsible for the goofy sign in the window.​

This would be Matty — Matty Mailler, one of the wackiest, funniest, friendliest convenience store owners you’re ever likely to come across.​

He loves to talk sports (he’s a diehard New York Yankees and Pittsburgh Steelers fan), is constantly adding new playlists to the store’s iPod, which blasts everything from Pearl Jam to Michael Jackson to Leona Lewis, and good-naturedly brags that his variety of Green Mountain coffees is “the best in the state.”

And you all know by now that Mark geragos will represent Chris Brown. There are, of course by no surprise, many articles today who are mentioning Chris Brown. Michael Jackson, Winona Ryder and Kobe Bryan are often mentioned in those articles too...

A Lesson in Music

Branden Price reflects on past artists' influence on today's industry using examples of the greats.

Growing up in the musical era of artists that varied from Michael Jackson and Outkast to Whitney Houston and the Wu-Tang Clan, it is safe to say that I was born into a very interesting time period.

As a child, I had musical backing from artists mainly in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, as with most American children. If you were to ask any student of the music they listened to that is not recent, it would most likely come from that time period. I too love this time period but being a musician myself, I feel there is so much more to music than just the Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Prince and the Jacksons.​

The Question I have to you is, do you know that what you are listening to probably came from another artist's work? Do you know where it originated? Well here is your history lesson.​

We will start in the 1920s-1940s, when music was the most pure. Pure in a sense that there was more instrumental music, and the dawn of classical blues and jazz. There is not a greater sound than those of Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra.

During this time period you had war and even the Great Depression, but that did not stop these musicians from cranking out what seemed like happy songs about life and love. If you need an example of reference: "Ol' Blue Eyes" by Frank Sinatra, "My Way" or "As Time Goes By". If you need more check out "The First Lady of Song" by Ella Fitzgerald featuring Louis Armstrong on "Summertime."​

You will find the songs lyrics were more different then and more like a story.My personal favorite part of this musical era is the instrumental sounds, you can not get any more musical than that! Needless to say, this era was pivotal to the development of some of the newer styles of performance and even genres. The 50s-70s, which is very familiar to many of us, happens to be my favorite musical era there are so many changes in style and delivery and the music was definitely the most poetic.​

Grammy viewership up 11% from last year

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 9 (Xinhua) -- About 19.05 million viewers watched the Grammy Awards ceremony in Los Angeles on Sunday, compared to 17.18 million last year, according to preliminary figures released Monday by Nielsen Media Research.

The 11-percent increase in viewership for the coverage of the Grammy Awards by Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) was due to a diverse lineup of performers and an aggressive marketing effort, which led to a 23 percent increase among viewers aging 18 to 34, CBS said.

"The Recording Academy put on quite a show -- an unprecedented 24 performances and a range of artists that appealed to teens, young adults and boomers," said Jack Sussman, CBS Entertainment's executive vice president for specials, music and live events. "It was a broadcast with something for every generation."
20405925.jpg

The achievement countered the trend of declining ratings for awards shows. Viewership for awards telecasts has generally fallen in recent years, because the increasing number of such shows makes each one less unique.
Additionally, like all forms of television programming, they are subject to increased competition from cable television, the Internet, video games and home video for viewers' attention.

Despite the increase, viewership for this year's ceremony was just one-third the record 51.67 million viewers who tuned in when Michael Jackson, at the height of his popularity, won a record eight Grammys in 1984. That telecast came when there were just three major broadcast networks and less competition for viewers from cable television.
Final national figures are scheduled to be released Tuesday.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/10/content_10794258.htm

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1979 - The Jacksons performed "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)" on "American Bandstand."

1992 - MTV's first global sweepstakes, "My Dinner with Michael" began.

1993 - Michael Jackson granted his first interview in 14 years to Oprah Winfrey. In the interview, Jackson claimed that he has a disorder (vitiligo) that destroys the pigmentation of the skin and that he had had very little plastic surgery.

PN002331.jpg

thanks for the mentionings and news. that's right, sell that mic using Mike.

they mention the viewership of the grammys, and qualify it by saying there was no cable competition. if it were some other artist, they would not qualify it. of course, the superbowl that had MJ at halftime was the most watched halftime and cable was there. i don't think the cable or lack thereof would stop MJ from pulling the best numbers. another reporter envious of MJ.

I don't know if this is news are not, but I walked into my bedroom to the sound of Michael singing Gone Too Soon. Guess who was playing it? Nancy Grace!

Yep, she was doing a tribute to that little girl, Caylee Anthony, whose mom, Casey Anthony is on trial in Florida for her murder. They showed a montage of the little girl and played Gone Too Soon in its entirety. Very nicely put together.

I don't know if this is news are not, but I walked into my bedroom to the sound of Michael singing Gone Too Soon. Guess who was playing it? Nancy Grace!

Yep, she was doing a tribute to that little girl, Caylee Anthony, whose mom, Casey Anthony is on trial in Florida for her murder. They showed a montage of the little girl and played Gone Too Soon in its entirety. Very nicely put together.

WOW!! Miracles NEVER CEASE! But I can't STAND THAT WOMAN!

I'm not too fond of her either, especially when I remember how she railed on Michael during the trial. But I think that she is nothing more than a closet fan. In fact, she said she was a fan during the trial and talked about her fandom. I wouldn't be surprised if she chose this song and/or approved it.

Heh, I would like to know, did Michael write this song or did someone else write it? Cause if he did write it, he got paid tonight from her show.

Well, just checked my Dangerous album book and he didn't write it. Someone named Buz Kohan did.

Yep thats right...Michael did not infact write Gone too soon. WHAT? nnacy Gradce was playing it...? That woman confuses me to no end.

I saw that too. I thought it was being played at the service though, not on the show itself.

that's right, sell that mic using Mike.

They gotta do what they gotta do.

She's still around? :bugeyed

it's hard to believe that by now, somehow MJ has exec producing privledges and still gets paid for his sound if he is credited. and that includes gone too soon. and yes...MJ has a lot of closet fans who bad mouth him, but can't live without his music. and that includes Nancy Grace. i'm wondering if atv umbrella is over gone too soon. it's very unfortunate that that little girl had to suffer at the hand of her mother. she indeed is gone too soon..and i'm afraid america disrespects children and doesn't hand down enough punishment for the ones who harm them.

I saw that too. I thought it was being played at the service though, not on the show itself.

You know what? You are right. The song was played at the memorial. I just watched NG again and it does appear that it was played at the memorial. Someone on Youtube said the same thing. I stand corrected. However, Nancy Grace could have cut the music and just showed the montage. But she didn't.

Last edited:
Nancy Grace is a nut. She uses Michael to get her ratings. I find it funny that she is not talking about Chris Brown's/Rhianna situation. If that was Michael, Nancy would have a whole show on it.

it's hard to believe that by now, somehow MJ has exec producing privledges and still gets paid for his sound if he is credited. and that includes gone too soon. and yes...MJ has a lot of closet fans who bad mouth him, but can't live without his music. and that includes Nancy Grace. i'm wondering if atv umbrella is over gone too soon. it's very unfortunate that that little girl had to suffer at the hand of her mother. she indeed is gone too soon..and i'm afraid america disrespects children and doesn't hand down enough punishment for the ones who harm them.
Did you did that even Wendy Murphy, the female who is worst that Nancy Grace, played Michael's song BEN as her wedding song?:D

thanx for the news and also thanx for the pix! my dinner with Michael
I just saw a little clip of it years ago but never knew what happened to it? did anyone have dinner with Michael??

Back