Dragonball Z to be re-edited and remastered for HDTV in Japan. Titled "Dragonball Kai"

mj_brainiac

Proud Member
from Daizenshuu EX

From Shonen Jump)

Translation:

20th anniversary of Dragon Ball Z!
The legend of Z will be back with the newest digital
technology!!
Starts at 9:00AM in April 5th 2009, on Fuji TV!!

1. More exciting by re-editing!!: The footage will be totally
re-edited and HD-remastered!!
2. New opening and ending!!: Both footage and songs will be
renewed! The sound effects in the show will also be renewed!!
2. Superb seiyus will gather for the show!!: The show will be
re-dubbed by the original casts!!
http://www.kanzentai.com/index.php

DragonBall Kai Details Posted by: Hujio
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 @ 11:58 AM CST

After leaking the Jump Anime Tour Special character sheets and breaking the news of a DragonBall Z "refresh," I think we can trust our inside man Wasted Wisher. Since the announcement of the "refresh," there has been some speculation as to what exactly DragonBall Kai will be like. So, here are a few things Wasted Wisher has told us will be in the upcoming first episode:

* A brief look at the last moments of Bardock and Planet Vegeta.
* An overview of DragonBall, from Goku's younger years up until his triumph over Piccolo at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai.
* The all-too-brief and yet still somewhat triumphant return of "FARMER WITH A SHOTGUN!"
* Goku's winky has disappeared! That's right, no more Goku frontal nudity. But don't worry, they won't do anything so blatant as to digitize tighty-whiteys on him.

Hopefully some more details will surface as we get closer to April 5th, but at least now we have a little better idea of what's coming our way.
14m5m6x.jpg

9jdefn.jpg

9scv1e.jpg

official commercial

Last edited:
Re: To classic anime fans- Dragonball Z to be re-edited and remastered for HDTV in Japan. Titled "Dr

Thats too bad its only airing in japan, I used to love watching DBZ when i was younger.

Re: To classic anime fans- Dragonball Z to be re-edited and remastered for HDTV in Japan. Titled "Dr

Is it going to be much more enhanced than the re-mastered DVD box-sets?

I don't think they need to go to too much trouble re-editing and enhancing the sounds and effects of the DBZ anime. Just leave it be. It's fine as it is. I'm for anything that enhancing the quality of the audio and video but actually editing the sound and video is not really necessary. Also, if they are editing out Goku's little doodle, are they going to edit out some of the blood and guts (e.g. Trunks vs Cyborg Frieza)?

Is it going to be much more enhanced than the re-mastered DVD box-sets?

I don't think they need to go to too much trouble re-editing and enhancing the sounds and effects of the DBZ anime. Just leave it be. It's fine as it is. I'm for anything that enhancing the quality of the audio and video but actually editing the sound and video is not really necessary. Also, if they are editing out Goku's little doodle, are they going to edit out some of the blood and guts (e.g. Trunks vs Cyborg Frieza)?
It's going to be ALOT better than the season sets, Toei went back to the original reels and refreshed the footage

and Dragonball Kai is not being seen as a new version of Z, but as a NEW series

and Toei isn't doing any censoring. That was all Funimation's doing

more details

DragonBall Kai Details Posted by: Hujio
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 @ 11:58 AM CST

After leaking the Jump Anime Tour Special character sheets and breaking the news of a DragonBall Z "refresh," I think we can trust our inside man Wasted Wisher. Since the announcement of the "refresh," there has been some speculation as to what exactly DragonBall Kai will be like. So, here are a few things Wasted Wisher has told us will be in the upcoming first episode:

* A brief look at the last moments of Bardock and Planet Vegeta.
* An overview of DragonBall, from Goku's younger years up until his triumph over Piccolo at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai.
* The all-too-brief and yet still somewhat triumphant return of "FARMER WITH A SHOTGUN!"
* Goku's winky has disappeared! That's right, no more Goku frontal nudity. But don't worry, they won't do anything so blatant as to digitize tighty-whiteys on him.

Hopefully some more details will surface as we get closer to April 5th, but at least now we have a little better idea of what's coming our way.

dragonball_kai_vjump.jpg

"The opening stuff is the standard fare we have come to expect from the earlier announcements (like "Commemorating the 20th Anniversary of the Start of Dragon Ball Z's Broadcast!" and "The Son Goku Legend, Once More!! And its name is... DRAGON BALL KAI"). However, the interesting material appears under the header "The four points that make up the world of "Kai"!":

The story will be developed speedily!
"Kai" starts from the invasion of the Saiyans. This version will be re-edited to hew more closely to Akira Toriyama's original story, so the story's development will progress all the faster!

The opening and ending songs will be completely renewed!!
The opening and ending songs will together be made anew! Furthermore, in "Kai", the background music will be newly recorded. Let's enjoy "Kai", where even the music has been powered up!!

Through digital processing, the image will be made vibrant!!
All the grime, damage and noise remaining on the "Z" film will be removed! In HD, the image will be even clearer. We've carefully made the ultra-powerful "Kai" world even more impressive!

An all-star voice cast will record the lines anew!!
The original main cast, centered around Masako Nozawa as Son Goku, will reunite, yo. They'll breathe life into the characters again, to support their appeal!! "

The BGM composer for DB Kai has been announced on the official site of Fuji TV.
http://wwwz.fujitv.co.jp/b_hp/dragonball_kai/index_frame.html

山本健司 (Kenji Yamamoto)

His works:

Composition
Shura Iro No Senshi
Battle Point Unlimited (Used as a BGM in DBZ Episode 120)
BGMs for DBZ Super Butouden Series on SNES/SFC
BGMs for DBZ Shin Butouden on SS / Ultimate Battle 22 on PS

Adaptation
Cha-La-Head-Cha-La
Detekoi Tobikiri Zenkai Power
Mind Power ...Ki...
Unmei No Hi ~Tamashii vs. Tamashii~
Tenkaichi Gohan
Piccolo-san Daaisuki?
And many other DB-related Songs

Slightly off-topic, but not really, I just saw the Dragonball Evolution. It was OK. Not too bad really. I was entertained and I came away from the movie having liked it. If you're a big Dragon Ball fan like myself, be prepared for some pretty big changes. I wont give them away. But it's not a strict true-to-the-original adaptation. There are some things to enjoy. They've played on the comedic value of Dragon Ball a bit which I really liked. You'll be impressed with the special effects. They've done a good job in that area. Overall, I give it a 3.5/5. It's not great. They could of done a lot better and if you're like me you'll probably come away from the movie and immediately start thinking of what they could've done to make it better. I hope for a 10/10 live-action adaptation of DBZ one day. Hopefully if there's a sequel it's done right. But this wasn't too bad. I liked it.

Slightly off-topic, but not really, I just saw the Dragonball Evolution. It was OK. Not too bad really. I was entertained and I came away from the movie having liked it. If you're a big Dragon Ball fan like myself, be prepared for some pretty big changes. I wont give them away. But it's not a strict true-to-the-original adaptation. There are some things to enjoy. They've played on the comedic value of Dragon Ball a bit which I really liked. You'll be impressed with the special effects. They've done a good job in that area. Overall, I give it a 3.5/5. It's not great. They could of done a lot better and if you're like me you'll probably come away from the movie and immediately start thinking of what they could've done to make it better. I hope for a 10/10 live-action adaptation of DBZ one day. Hopefully if there's a sequel it's done right. But this wasn't too bad. I liked it.
I'm trying to avoid seeing it. I know I WON'T be paying to see it in theaters.

I was pretty turned off by the trailer.

I might download it illegally to see how much it sucks Dragonballz!

On March 20th, Fuji TV and Toei Animation held a preview of DragonBall Kai as part of the Tokyo International Anime Fair. Saeki Kenji, of "Game Watch", was in attendance and has posted up a nice run-down of the event.

fuji_01.jpg

Some of our favorite seiyuu were in attendance, including Tanaka Mayumi (Krillin), Nozawa Masako (Son Goku), and Furukawa Toshio (Piccolo), shown from left to right in the back row. Also in attendence was Tanimoto Takayoshi, the vocalist for DragonBall Kai's new opening and ending themes. Fans, dressed up as Piccolo and Goku, even got the opportunity to get up on stage, saying "they got goosebumps hearing the seiyuu's voices in person". And although Toriyama wasn't there in person, he did make an official statement in his typical non-committal way.

I wonder how the DragonBall anime will be improved in 2009? I'm looking forward to it!
- Toriyama Akira

fuji_02.jpg

fuji_04.jpg

fuji_03.jpg

The seiyuu eventually talked about their record sessions for DragonBall Kai, and here's a little of what they had to say:
* "This was a performance that swallowed up my life; I remember being stressed when we first started recording." - Tanaka Mayumi
* "I'm now a fan of this series myself." - Furukawa Toshio
* Though it's been 13 years since they last recorded, "It doesn't feel like it's been that long." - Nozawa Masako
* "The tempo is very fast, so Goku is already dead by episode 2." - Tanaka Mayumi

Tanaka-san's last statement seems a little strange, considering that the DragonBall Kai episode titles revealed in V-Jump suggest that Goku doesn't die until episode 3 or 4. We're assuming this is simply a mistake on Tanaka's part, but we'll give her pass on this one, since she's now probably very busy recording both Krillin and Luffy (One Piece). If it turns out she's right, it'll make things quite interesting, as the series will be progressing at a much faster rate than anyone had anticipated.

fuji_05.jpg

As a special bonus, Toei gave a presentation on the remastering process used for the new series, including a comparison between their own DVD releases (on the left) and their HD remastering of DragonBall Kai (on the right). We're not exactly sure what all they talked about, or for that matter how much detail they went into, but I would have loved to been there to ask some questions... or at least have been a fly on the wall. Here's that same shot of Goku just before he transforms into a Super Saiya-jin, as taken from episode 95 of the "Dragon Box Z Vol. 1". The screen shot itself has just been re-sized, with no color correction.

fuji_dbox.jpg

You'll notice that HD frame has been extended to the right, so it now shows Goku's shirt. I'm assuming the shot has been re-framed, but it's hard to tell exactly how much has been cut from the top. If anything, it confirms they'll at least being going up to Goku's Super Saiya-jin transformation, though, we pretty much already knew that.

Back