Misinterpretations of 'This is it'

The fact that so many people go crazy (including me at first) when he says after 10 shows,it's curtain's call...that so many people are like 'oh no, no more MJ after this' shows how important this man is.

I just watched that WMA 2006 video on youtube, and as soon as Mike comes walking onstage,peeps go crazy...the man has this effect on people....it's simply a fact, a effect...in that way he's not human, he's beyond it. (in a good way) lol.

But the fact that he's all giddy and happy as soon as he says 'This is it' ..it means something. FOr one thing, it means the thing fans have been waiting for..him performing again, he knows that. Since he's in London...he talks DIRECTLY to London and his fans there...therefore after anouncing 10 shows...he's like 'but that's it folks'...no more MJ onstange here after that' ....it really ain't nessecarily the end of performances everywhere...he could very well be coming to my country to if you look at it like that....probably not, but never say never. But i'm more calm now.

I should've just paid more attention to exactly what he said....he didn't say it was the final curtain call for Michael Jackson....not at all!!!!!!!

But the tour is call'ed "This Is It". Thats why he's saying it a couple of times. It's all written down ya know :)

I think it actually could be "it" regarding touring. This is even a suprise to me, because I'm very sure that he onced said that he was'nt going to tour again.

I hope you are right but I don't think so. I think, since he doesn't like to tour, that these will be the last shows he will ever perform....for us and his children, he always said it.

Maybe so, but it won't be so bad...we'll still have music from him.whenever that album comes out, lol. I can understand perfectly that he wants to focus his time on his children and not the entertainment business....but let's not misinterpret this as the end of MJ as in music.

Nobody expected Mike to perform again...last tuesday i thought about it, and i was like..nah, he ain't gonna perform anymore, just not likely at all...and one day later we hear about a special anouncement.... see? ;)

The fact that he was so happy,grinning and acting almost like a kid (lol) when he said THIS IS IT....it must mean something, not just the 10 shows.

And let's not forget this

Randy Phillips, president and chief executive of AEG Live, told The Times that the ten London concerts would mark the first step of a three-year tour and the release of a new album. He said: “Surviving the press conference was the first step. We've a three-year plan for Michael Jackson and if it all goes well we will gross $400 million (£280million) in total.”

He confirmed that the singer could earn “probably something pretty close to” £50 million for the London shows. Future tours are likely to involve trips to New York, Paris and Mumbai.

If it's all true....don't ask....but i got it from another Mike forum.

if it is his last tour he should do a mini European and US tour... just for the sake of saying goodbye... but then again that doesn't mean no new music and no performance ever in a show or sth.

Randy Phillips, president and chief executive of AEG Live, told The Times that the ten London concerts would mark the first step of a three-year tour and the release of a new album. He said: “Surviving the press conference was the first step. We've a three-year plan for Michael Jackson and if it all goes well we will gross $400 million (£280million) in total.”

He confirmed that the singer could earn “probably something pretty close to” £50 million for the London shows. Future tours are likely to involve trips to New York, Paris and Mumbai.

The source of that is http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5854735.ece and I think more people need to read it! Although I haven't been around to check discussions for some time, I get the impression that some took his words to mean "no new music, no new album, 10 shows then he's gone forever" which simply isn't the case at all.

great i hope he goes to las vegas! would be a shame for us not to seehim cuz we can't aford to go to london

Oh wow that statement about it being a three year thing is awesome!

Please come to the US Mike, OMG...but i'm not taking any chances i WILL be going to London!

Golly golly golly I don't know what to think, but I did imagine earlier today that Michael could do this... 10 shows in one city... the next month.. 10 more shows in the next city... and a month or two after that 10 shows in another city..... I think that's a brilliant idea for a final goodbye.

I love you Michael please come to the USA.

Although I generally do not approve of the way things went down today...I guess Mike was saying that this will be his last performances in London..then he will go to another city and perform for the last time there....

Think about it guys...do you really think Michael is going to train and rehearse and practice and put up an entire show and performance only to do it 10 times..I don't think so. That's not cost efficient at all..after all of the work it takes to prepare for such a string of concerts..I can't imagine that he would do it less than 30-50 times atleast. Which is still only half of what he does on world tours.

I don't know..I kind've felt very empty after today's press conference..I feel like I'm not excited anymore...like where are all the future plans and like someone very nicely pointed out..how on earth did we go from "You ain't seen nothin yet" to "This is it" in these few short years???

if it is his last tour he should do a mini European and US tour... just for the sake of saying goodbye... but then again that doesn't mean no new music and no performance ever in a show or sth.

Exactly. I have mixed feelings on the whole "This is It" Thing but after thinking about it I truely feel that he will do one final "Tour" of the U.S (and other places) before he really does call it quits on tours. At least this is my hope.

A set of MSG Concerts perhaps? Man...I'll just keep dreaming.

The source of that is http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5854735.ece and I think more people need to read it! Although I haven't been around to check discussions for some time, I get the impression that some took his words to mean "no new music, no new album, 10 shows then he's gone forever" which simply isn't the case at all.
I agree. IMO, if that was the case, he would've put it more explicitly.

P.S. The board had been down for a few hours and now it's back!:clapping: I couldn't keep all of the excitement inside and couldn't wait to jump into the discussion!:)

Maybe so, but it won't be so bad...we'll still have music from him.whenever that album comes out, lol. I can understand perfectly that he wants to focus his time on his children and not the entertainment business....but let's not misinterpret this as the end of MJ as in music.

Nobody expected Mike to perform again...last tuesday i thought about it, and i was like..nah, he ain't gonna perform anymore, just not likely at all...and one day later we hear about a special anouncement.... see? ;)

The fact that he was so happy,grinning and acting almost like a kid (lol) when he said THIS IS IT....it must mean something, not just the 10 shows.

Mumbai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angel:It should be true it should be.....:wild:
:punk:I''ll Be There.....:timer:

i dont know what ''this is it'' excatly means i guess we will have 2 wait and see in july.

In Michael's lyrics and words in the past I can see he loves using double meanings. To allow people, the viewers, fans, readers, listeners of a piece of art to apply what they themselves bring to it to complete the shifting meaning I think creates great art. Michael uses that a lot, imo. He doesn't complete the sentence but lets us fill it in. He doesn't show the man but lets people see him as they wish. Michael seems to enjoy the joke.

The name of the tour is incredibly clever. His words though seemingly simple have many meanings and all can be true at the same time. They are happy, sad, defiant, exciting, and prediction all at once. This Is It with the fist is his determination to overcome, to not let people roll over him. This Is It with the excited smile and energy is announcing the coming and unveiling of all he has been working on... that 'the best is yet to come' stuff. This Is It is probably his last world tour, not ending in London if the London shows go well but ending in 3 years after several connected sets of shows. This Is It is Michael taking the chance that he can pull people to his side again and create the magic once more between him and his audiences. It's on. This Is It, as he said, is the last live show performances in London. 'IT' is a beginning and an end. Happy and sad. So everyone was right but only took that peice that reflected how they view life. It was very revealing.

'This Is It' also serves to motivate people to seize the day. If the tour is to be a success it needs the excitement of people rushing to be there. Think if the first shows do not fill the arena, suddenly the empty seats tell others that it is not worth going. Humans are funny that way. Part is justified because the crowds create part of the excitement but the other is people being followers. He has to generate that momentum up front to make it work and I think he is a master.

'This Is It'

I'm going to wait for a U.S. show. No way is he doing ten shows in London and not coming back to the States. I'd end up spending two grand to go only to find out I could've seen him here in the states for a quarter of that much.

The guy has fans the world over and I would put money on him visiting as much of them as he can.

I'm thinking it could be a World Tour, because the posters for the 'This is it' concerts all have the artwork from the 'King of Pop' compilation album. And the tracks for that album are different for each country depending on which songs they voted for. I think that's why he said, "the songs my fans want to hear," if that makes sense.

I'm thinking it could be a World Tour, because the posters for the 'This is it' concerts all have the artwork from the 'King of Pop' compilation album. And the tracks for that album are different for each country depending on which songs they voted for. I think that's why he said, "the songs my fans want to hear," if that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I think it is Michael hinting at things again... keeping some mystery at the same time.

In Michael's lyrics and words in the past I can see he loves using double meanings. To allow people, the viewers, fans, readers, listeners of a piece of art to apply what they themselves bring to it to complete the shifting meaning I think creates great art. Michael uses that a lot, imo. He doesn't complete the sentence but lets us fill it in. He doesn't show the man but lets people see him as they wish. Michael seems to enjoy the joke.

The name of the tour is incredibly clever. His words though seemingly simple have many meanings and all can be true at the same time. They are happy, sad, defiant, exciting, and prediction all at once. This Is It with the fist is his determination to overcome, to not let people roll over him. This Is It with the excited smile and energy is announcing the coming and unveiling of all he has been working on... that 'the best is yet to come' stuff. This Is It is probably his last world tour, not ending in London if the London shows go well but ending in 3 years after several connected sets of shows. This Is It is Michael taking the chance that he can pull people to his side again and create the magic once more between him and his audiences. It's on. This Is It, as he said, is the last live show performances in London. 'IT' is a beginning and an end. Happy and sad. So everyone was right but only took that peice that reflected how they view life. It was very revealing.

'This Is It' also serves to motivate people to seize the day. If the tour is to be a success it needs the excitement of people rushing to be there. Think if the first shows do not fill the arena, suddenly the empty seats tell others that it is not worth going. Humans are funny that way. Part is justified because the crowds create part of the excitement but the other is people being followers. He has to generate that momentum up front to make it work and I think he is a master.

'This Is It'

Great post! :) And it's true that Michael likes to do these things.. be clever and mysterious with his words.

Man, talk about micro-analysis.
All this talk of MJ retiring is absolutely ludicrous!

He was talking to London and London only.

As stated too, he needs to generate momentum and sell out the arena. As for him retiring, that is laughable. No way would he go out like this. He is working overtime for his comeback.

Fans around the world should be very happy, it's clear MJ is planning a masterful coup on the international music industry with a new album. MJ was really nervous in the press conference, he hasn't been immersed in the spotlight for a very long time - it's a new phase, and almost new territory after being out for so long. but...

The King of Pop is back. He's back!

Actually, I don't think he looked nervous at all. Remember when he presented that little award to Eddie Murphy? He looked nervous then. Yesterday, he looked at ease. It was underwhelming to me and very, very brief, but he looked relaxed and like he was just having a bit of fun.

I didn't buy for a second he'd be retiring, but I laughed at how it raised more questions than answers. Like I said, it just wouldn't be MJ if questions were answered a huge plan was in place for us to know about. He answered one question and raised ten more.

With that said, I'm not bothered by it because I'm pretty certain he's not going to end his live performing in London. He'll do a string in London, and then later down the road probably do something somewhere else in Europe, Australia, Japan, the States, etc.

Randy Phillips, president and chief executive of AEG Live, told The Times that the ten London concerts would mark the first step of a three-year tour and the release of a new album.
I really hope this is true, because I can't see myself being able to go to London, unfortunately.

No matter if I get to see him perform or not, I'm very happy for MJ. :)

I'm thinking it could be a World Tour, because the posters for the 'This is it' concerts all have the artwork from the 'King of Pop' compilation album. And the tracks for that album are different for each country depending on which songs they voted for. I think that's why he said, "the songs my fans want to hear," if that makes sense.

this makes PERFECT sense,and if thats the case argentina will have the best setlist lol

though it is so easy to take a sentence and for us to interpret it, all he really said was, that...this is it. the final curtain call. last shows in london.

those were his only words. i guess we can say there is something beyond london..or..not. but, all we really can do is read what he said. and take it at face value. he didn't have to say 'in london'. but he did. but, even at that, we still don't really know, what's in the future. the safest thing to say is no more in london after this. from there we can go into cadences, etc. lol

the safest thing to say is he said 'final curtain call..in london'. and again, he didn't have to say 'in london'. so..i can hope there is something outside of london in the future. but i surely cannot guarantee that. but i cannot guarantee there won't be something outside of london either. no one knows what the future holds. not even MJ. but, still..we have no clue what's in MJ's mind, even at the moment something enters his mind.

so..i guess..all we are left with, beyond london...is hope.

and..of course..i'm working on making it to london. lol

When I first saw MJ yesterday saying "This Is It" - the only thing that I was sure he's trying to say behind those 3 words is: 'dear fans, this is the moment that you all waited for... no more waiting... I came back now... this is it".

And the name of this "logo" (I don't know how to call it...) also was - "This Is It".

If Michael was saying "That's It" - it was sound not good at all...

So I'm not so sure that he's retiring... maybe he just was specific about London (like he said).
But who knows?...

Michael full of surprises...

I think we should call him: "The King Of Surprises". LOL

Back