London terms / words /sayings

moonstreet

Guests
Hers a list of words /phrases/ etc which you might not be familar with but when you get to London and hear them might confuse you

UK/ London Other word

Tube/ Underground Subway / Metro

Black Cab Taxi

Banger Sausage

Petrol /Disel Gasoline

Copper Police officer

Mash Mash potato

Foot Path Pavement / sidewalk

Sterling British Currency

Chemist / Pharmacy Drug store

Toilets / bathrooms Rest rooms / little boys /little girls room

Im sure there are more, when I think of them I will update this

Re: London tems / words /sayings

Thanks Moonstreet.. You should also add food to your list.. I was on a webite and looked at the food list.. I know about fish/chip. but what in the world are jacket potatoes?

oh yeah, and if someone asks you do you fancy a fag?? (lol) Don't punch them in the face, they call cigarettes fags...

oh yeah, and if someone asks you do you fancy a fag?? (lol) Don't punch them in the face, they call cigarettes fags...

lol wat.

Foot path pavement.. so long to say compared to sidewalk. :p

Post more terms please. It's interesting to read and learn. :)

Question:

Is it OK to call a man you don't "know" for "geezer", or is it something you just call your friend?! :D

lol wat.

Foot path pavement.. so long to say compared to sidewalk. :p

Post more terms please. It's interesting to read and learn. :)

OK us londoners don't say "foot path pavement", we simply just say pavement or path on their own.

Question:

Is it OK to call a man you don't "know" for "geezer", or is it something you just call your friend?! :D

It's not really OK, some people can find it offensive.

I would stick to something like "mate". Which obviously means friend.
for example, saying something like "excuse me mate..." is perfectly fine.

Here's some more sayings that are used in and around London:

Sarnie = Sandwich

The Loo = bathroom/restrooms/toilet

Another saying for a Police officer would be a "bobby" but that's not used very often now IMO.

Quid = one pound sterling (currency)

Chips to you are Crisps to us!

Fries to you are Chips to us!

Question:

That definitely would not be OK here.. people would find it offensive. But who cares about Canada, right? ;]

You should say "Excuse me, sir" instead.

Haha, British slang is so funny.

Haha, me and my friend were in London and we were walking around in the supermarket and he accidently bumped into this lady and she was like ''Bloody Hell, what the f*** did you do, you f****** wanker. BOLLOCKS''

haha, I was ON THE FLOOOR begging for someone to pick me up xDD

Oh, and whats black pudding? is it good, and should I try it? :D

Haha, British slang is so funny.

Haha, me and my friend were in London and we were walking around in the supermarket and he accidently bumped into this lady and she was like ''Bloody Hell, what the f*** did you do, you f****** wanker. BOLLOCKS''

haha, I was ON THE FLOOOR begging for someone to pick me up xDD

Oh, and whats black pudding? is it good, and should I try it? :D

Ha. yeah bloody hell is used alot! :)

Black Pudding is a sausage made from cooking blood. In england it's mainly pigs blood with added ingredients like fat. It's sooo nice fried. It's usually on a Full English Breakfast.

Thanks you guys for clearing that up! :)

So how do you approach someone in McDonalds or at the Hotel?
Is it "Thank you Sir", "Thank you Mam", or just "Thank you" without adding something in the end?
I don't really got a hold of that, since some men are actually are "Sirs", like Sir Paul McCartney?! Like, The Queen of England has given them a "Sir" title?

Andyroser, I think I'll go with your "mate" for the dudes/men.
Am I right if I think it's appropriate yo say "Thank you Sir" instead of "mate" if I'm talking to someone who are at their work or are from the "older generation"?!

I'll stick with my "Geezer" for my friends then, haha :D
Better to play it safe and be respectful when I'm in another country :)

Thanks you guys for clearing that up! :)

So how do you approach someone in McDonalds or at the Hotel?
Is it "Thank you Sir", "Thank you Mam", or just "Thank you" without adding something in the end?
I don't really got a hold of that, since some men are actually are "Sirs", like Sir Paul McCartney?! Like, The Queen of England has given them a "Sir" title?

Andyroser, I think I'll go with your "mate" for the dudes/men.
Am I right if I think it's appropriate yo say "Thank you Sir" instead of "mate" if I'm talking to someone who are at their work or are from the "older generation"?!

I'll stick with my "Geezer" for my friends then, haha :D
Better to play it safe and be respectful when I'm in another country :)

Somewhere like a store or a restaurant like mcdonalds just say "thanks" or "thank you" it's polite enough.
"Thank You Sir" is just extra polite, although it is commonly used if you're staying somewhere posh or shopping and dining somewhere expensive.

If you're talking to someone from the older generation then "Sir" would definitely be more appropriate.

To say "mate" would be to the public, for example asking someone for directions.

Somewhere like a store or a restaurant like mcdonalds just say "thanks" or "thank you" it's polite enough.
"Thank You Sir" is just extra polite, although it is commonly used if you're staying somewhere posh or shopping and dining somewhere expensive.

If you're talking to someone from the older generation then "Sir" would definitely be more appropriate.

To say "mate" would be to the public, for example asking someone for directions.

Thank you so much for clearing that up! :)

I've been brain washed by the urban culture and goes "Yessir" to everything and everyone , lol I have to really think of what I say.
It's kind of like using profound language, when English isn't your native language the profound words don't mean as much to you, so you kind of don't think hard before you speak. But it will be alright, haha I'm getting all nervous to even open my mouth now haha.

Thank you so much for clearing that up! :)

I've been brain washed by the urban culture and goes "Yessir" to everything and everyone , lol I have to really think of what I say.
It's kind of like using profound language, when English isn't your native language the profound words don't mean as much to you, so you kind of don't think hard before you speak. But it will be alright, haha I'm getting all nervous to even open my mouth now haha.

You shouldn't worry. London is sooo multi-cultural today you'll just fit in! :)

lol and knock you up here means to wake you up hahaha

Apples and pears!! Lol!!

mmmm i had jacket potato for dinner!

i cant think of anymore words that might be different here.

perhaps the way we say things are different when you're from a different part of the country.

for example im from essex so my english is pretty slack and i mispronouce things or say them in sillier ways to other places in the UK haha!

basically, it wouldn't be unusual to hear someone in London say "there aint nuffink wrong wiv that innit" hahaa! it could be abit confusing!

black pudding sound so nasty. Im sorry. nope wont be eating that. Thanks for telling me. Jacket potato...lol I get it. baked in its jacket. cute!

keep them coming guys. I knew about mate. I think that's so funny. "hey mate" lol

for ozzies...

hotel in AUS aka watering holes are called pubs in UK...

Hotels in the UK are for accommodation only...so Kensington hotel over there is not selling drinks..it is an acommodation hotel....

DON'T SAY FANNY! LOL omg it's slang for something....um....pm me for it

que is the line

aggro is when ur pissed

im always chuffed...that's my fave. just beyond thrilled

bloke/mate...u should know that one already

wank/well not someone u woul dlike

mardy bum just sour ass person

oh do try some cockles and whelks shuanny! lol you'll be in a right state im sure.

Back