Some idiot comparing Phil Spector's case to MJ's

Victory2004

Proud Member
Monday, Apr 13, 2009
Thoughts on legendary producer Phil Spector's murder conviction

Posted by Melinda Newman
PhilSpectorPortrait_article_story_main.jpg
Music producer Phil Spector listens to the verdict in Los Angeles County Superior Court Monday, April 13, 2009, in downtown Los Angeles. Spector was convicted Monday of second-degree murder in the shooting death of a film actress at his mansion six years ago. The panel also found Spector guilty of using a firearm in committing a crime.

Credit: AP Photo/Al Seib, Pool

events=$H({})What does it mean when someone whose talent you admire is found guilty of a heinous crime? Earlier today, legendary record producer Phil Spector was found guilty of second-degree murder in the shooting of Lana Clarkson in 2003. When things like this happen, I struggle with if I can distance the person from their talent. For example, even though he was never convicted, I can't listen to Michael Jackson's music with the same unbridled pleasure as I did before the pedophilia charges.
More recently, I've had to rethink how I feel about Chris Brown after he was charged with assault and making felony threats in conjunction with his alleged beating of girlfriend Rihanna. Of course, he's hardly had time to become the legend that Jackson and Spector are so deciding to cut Brown out of my life, should it come to that, basically means switching radio stations if one of his songs comes on.
For Spector and Jackson, it's more complicated. I grew up with Jackson's music and absolutely love it. Ultimately, for me his weirdness eclipsed his talent. That's saying a lot since he is preternaturally talented. I marvel that he has sold out 50 arena shows in London starting in July because I can't believe nearly a million people are willing to give him money. Rightly or wrongly, I feel that even the activities he's admitted to with little kids cross an uncrossable line. When I was at Billboard, I decided that I couldn't interview him if the opportunity came up. It didn't and I don't foresee it ever being a possibility in the future, but I couldn't talk to him about music-as enjoyable an interview and as interesting a conversation as that may be-as if there wasn't a huge elephant in the room.
Spector is a different case for a number of reasons, including that much of his greatest work was done before I was born and his career has been over for decades. His "Wall of Sound" has influenced virtually every artist and producer who came after it; those records are so glorious that they sound like little miracles coming out of the speakers with the music washing every trouble away. Unlike Jackson or Brown, Spector isn't the face of the music he produced. There are millions of people who love "You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling" or "River Deep, Mountain High" and never associate them with Spector. But I wonder how I'll feel next time I hear one of his songs?
There's been a lot of back and forth about artists as role models. Have Chris Brown and Rihanna "let down" their fans? Brown by allegedly committing such an act and Rihanna for continuing to hang out with him. Leave that kind of debate to relatively innocent folly, like Michael Phelps taking a bong hit. Once you get into murder, domestic abuse and pedophilia, you're pretty much out of the "role model" classification, as far as I can see. Plus, Spector, unlike Jackson and Brown, didn't really have a fall from grace- he was always considered crazy, but his talent dwarfed his damage...until now.
Is it possible to separate the sin from the sinner? I don't know. http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12...ary-producer-phil-spector-s-murder-conviction

she who is without sin....cast the first stone.
and..she who is without psychosis...speak

she says she loves MJ's music present tense, in that article, with unbridled use of the word, despite the rest of her article. interesting.

Last edited:
haha I grew up with Jackson music but now its not with that feeling,it is the most idiotic line that many people says.They mean to say after 2003 Don't Stop Til You Get Enough didnt remain Don't Stop Til You Get Enough.lol After 2003 DSTYGE became RWY and RWY became DSTYGE.:D
Stupid F***ers..:tease:

As much as I disagree with this article, the writer has the right to their opinion. And they're being respectful with it, too - no sign of ***** or *****. She's being respectful, just saying that she believes Michael is a pedophile, which is ignorant but at least she isn't being mean about it.

Someone should put together a bunch of articles and snippets that prove Michael is innocent, and send them to her. Who knows, maybe we could change her opinion? She does say that she loves Michael's music.

As much as I disagree with this article, the writer has the right to their opinion. And they're being respectful with it, too - no sign of ***** or *****. She's being respectful, just saying that she believes Michael is a pedophile, which is ignorant but at least she isn't being mean about it.

Someone should put together a bunch of articles and snippets that prove Michael is innocent, and send them to her. Who knows, maybe we could change her opinion? She does say that she loves Michael's music.

So do I,I got right of my opinion too and she is not respectful she is just tryin to put that trial thing again in people's heads cuz Mike is moving on and he has sold out 50 O2 shows.Now press understands this,now they know they can't say Michael got no fan base and they can't say anything about case.Guess what let's do negative press in a positive way.So now let's say I grew up with MJ's music and it was great and I still listen to it but that trial thing doesnt let me give that attention to his music the way it used to before 93 or 2003.

Hehe its negative press in a Smart Way.Thats it.

I agree that she begins with a respectful tone, but talking about him selling out the 50 arena shows is not particularly positive:

I marvel that he has sold out 50 arena shows in London starting in July because I can't believe nearly a million people are willing to give him money.

Why shouldn't we give him money? He needs it right now, and if he's willing to perform (ie. work for it) then why not? He's an incredibly talented performer and those of us who are lucky enough to have the opportunity to see him do just that will do, fans or not.

Posting idiotic morons who are too lazy to read the brilliant case MEZ showed shouldn't even be allowed space on here. Who cares what some moron believes. Ignorance is not bliss.

Melinda Newman is a big fat liar, in my opinion.

I mean, when she says that she would not interview MJ if the opportunity presented it self. PLEASE! I don't believe her for one second. She is "supposed" to be a journalist, and what journalist worth their salt would pass up an opportunity to interview the one and only, Michael Jackson. It would put her "unknown" behind on the map. Especially when you know that MJ doesn't really do many interviews.

Who does she think she's kidding. LOL!

Melinda Newman is a big fat liar, in my opinion.

I mean, when she says that she would not interview MJ if the opportunity presented it self. PLEASE! I don't believe her for one second. She is "supposed" to be a journalist, and what journalist worth their salt would pass up an opportunity to interview the one and only, Michael Jackson. It would put her "unknown" behind on the map. Especially when you know that MJ doesn't really do many interviews.

Who does she think she's kidding. LOL!

you're right. it's like those people on the street near the bookstore that MJ went to. they couldn't get enough of waving to him and being seen by him, then when he left, they said the experience was 'fucking weird'. they have two personalities. they'll act like they're not shaken from their foundation by Michael, and act negatively about Michael...till their in his presence. then they can't stop quivering.

she's the same way. just like those people in times square. complained about him being late, then screamed when he arrived. his fame is bigger than their attitudes.

She sound like a fool. Michael was LIED on. If she is someone who holds mess when pople is lied on, she must have one lonely life and she a hypocrite. She is not perfect. I am tired of self rightous folks. Believe me, if we look into her life, it is full with more drama than Michael. As for people paying money to see Michael, THAT IS RIGHT. SOme people have the sense to know right from right. I am NOT going to make someone suffer because of someone else LIE. If not,then I should not be dealt with either.

Back