offensive picture against MJ -ACTION NEDED-

Vale

Proud Member
At Bristol's City Museum there is currently an exhibition of Banksy artwork.
Years ago Banksy painted an image of Michael Jackson represented as the witch in the Hansel and Gretel story - in the picture Michael is offering candy to attract a couple of young kids inside a house.
Now the Hansel and Gretel painting was not originally part of the Banksy display in Bristol. The painting was put on display only after Michael's death as a 'tribute' to him (they even put candles around the picture).

I can hardly believe the museum staff think this is an appropriate tribute to someone who has just died considered the message emplied by the painting. I would have had less issues with this if the picture was part of the display from the beginning, but I find really offensive that this has been added on purpose only after his death. There is really no respect left in this world.

I have sent an email to Bristol museum to complain and ask them to take the picture down. I believe the message will be stronger if lots of MJ fans would write to the museum in protest asking to take the picture down - they might listen to us if they start receiving lots of complaints.

Please help me and write an email to general.museum@bristol.gov.uk

Re: offensive picture against MJ

Email sent. They definitely did not think things through when they decided to display that.

I can't believe Banksy would do that. What is wrong wih him?

I always respected his work, too. Damn!

Email sent...let's get it taken down!

E-mail sent and I have never even seen it! lol! but if you guys say it's jacked then I know it is and that just sounds horrible!

Really...i'm puzzled by all the harm people want to do to him...what the fuck did that
man ever do wrong to them? Good lord.

:'(.
In australia on channel 9 they showed an incredibly bias 'documentary' about him. It basically said "he touched kids". They are claiming all these as being 'tributes'.

What the fuck is wrong with these people.

Really...i'm puzzled by all the harm people want to do to him...what the fuck did that
man ever do wrong to them? Good lord.

This world doesn't take too kindly to people who want to make a difference and are truly compassionate. It's a sick sad world.

I have no idea where this Bristol museum is, but I am writing an email right now!

I will be sending an email to them assholes

Sorry forgot to say that Bristol is a city in the UK, not too far from London.

Heads up guys...

This is being moved to our 'Enough is Enough' forum... that is the correct place for situations like these in which action form our members is needed.

I complained. The fact that they put that up after his death, when he couldn't defend himself, shows what cowards they are.
Disgusting.

Don't worry. I'm very sure that the people of England will strongly express that the filthy painting be removed. Michael was never a pedophile and to say that he was just breaks my heart. But the US and Britain have been the frontrunners in biased media and opinion about Michael. I am a little bit surprised about Australia though. I know that he was very loved in that country. I hope the people there stand up as well.

Yep, that picture is quite offensive!

Hey guys, so I got a reply:

"Thanks for your comment concerning the painting of Michael Jackson. It has been forwareded to the relevant person who will respond in within 15 working days".

Anybody get a response from this "relevant person" yet?

Hey guys, so I got a reply:

"Thanks for your comment concerning the painting of Michael Jackson. It has been forwareded to the relevant person who will respond in within 15 working days".

Anybody get a response from this "relevant person" yet?

They didn't even bother replying to my email! But at least we know the message has been passed to someone senior... good. Having said that, 15 days is a long time ... it means the picture will continue to stay on display for a long time (Banksy is quite popular and they are getting thousands of visitors every week...).

Please continue sending your complaints... this is important

Hmm, I swear I posted a reply in here with the second response I got..maybe I posted it in the wrong thread.
Anyway, they're not going to remove it:

Dear Stephanie,

Thank you for your fair comment concerning the Banksy Exhibition at the museum, although we are sorry to learn that you do not approve of the Hansel and Gretel painting that depicts Michael Jackson and two children and would like it removed from the exhibition.

This exhibition brings together an exciting mix of photography, installation, sculpture, painting and creative design. There is no doubting the artistic talent of the artist, his work is universally acclaimed and we are delighted with the exhibition. For many people the artist is at the current edge of 21st century urban art and he is internationally recognised as being amongst the world’s most acclaimed. His work is quirky, lively, challenging, clever and above all original.

We do appreciate that some people find his work provocative and on occasion offensive. Throughout the history of art, artists have tackled subjects ranging from the grotesque to the beautiful. As a major art gallery, we believe art should challenge and create debate; we welcome this. We have not censored this exhibition - we want people to come along and make up their own minds and comment as you have done.

Visitor numbers have now exceeded 100,000 and the majority of the feedback has been entirely positive. The fact that the artist has 'hidden' pieces throughout the whole museum for people to discover means some of them are visiting parts of the museum they had not visited before and will want to return to when the exhibition has closed.

We will pass on your comments to the artist’s agent.

Tim Corum
Deputy Head Stategy and Development
Bristol Museums Galleries and Archives

:(:(

I think its very offensive and not as subtle as banksy's other work but they're right- you can't censor it. Much in the same way i dont agree with the censorship of this forum. Those court cases DID happen and that is an artists documentation of them, offensive to fans or not its not a good enough reason not to display them publicly.

I'm very sorry but i can't call this art or anything similar...it's highly offensive and most of all, nothing but bullshit. MJ is being shown as a evil person on that painting..it's meant to be. It sucks they can't take the stupid painting away...it's a reason for me to never visit there though.

I think its very offensive and not as subtle as banksy's other work but they're right- you can't censor it. Much in the same way i dont agree with the censorship of this forum. Those court cases DID happen and that is an artists documentation of them, offensive to fans or not its not a good enough reason not to display them publicly.

I understand that they don't want to censor a picture from an artist. But I don't understand that that's supposed to be the tribute-picture and I don't understand the artist. If you are an artist, you should be aware of having an influence on people and deal with it on a responsible level. I don't find it responsible to present a person like he presented Michael, without being 100% sure that he did harm children.
I doubt that the artist would like being presented as a child-abuser, art or not art.

At least they forwarded the email to the artist.

gawd email sent
1223.gif

Disgusting bloody dirty coward.
I am going to calm down and then write an e mail.
God, why can't people just LEAVE HIM ALONE????
We love you Michael....

When i did it i got the same cut and paste reply to each email address i sent my email from.

Looking at the photo, its possible to interpret in a positive way as well as the obvious negative way. But obviously these narrow minded people we've all come across will only view it in the negative way.

Last edited:
When i did it i got the same cut and paste reply to each email address i sent my email from.

Looking at the photo, its possible to interpret in a positive way as well as the obvious negative way. But obviously these narrow minded people we've all come across will only view it in the negative way.

Well, you can only see it in a negative way since it's a reference to the "Hansel & Gretel" story, and we all know how that turned out.

Yes, you're right. That painting is in no way fit to be used as a tribute! However, without the candy cane and the background knowledge that the painting is based on the Hansel and Gretel story, I'd have viewed it in a positive light. But as it stands, it is mockery! So, however decided to display the painting as a tribute wasn't thinking things through. If it takes them 15 days to even process feedback e-mails, then they won't take the painitng down even if they otherwise might: the exhibition ends on August 31st. I guess that's a small consolation in this that the painting won't be up for much longer.

Back