Can the executors sue?

lifeismagical

Proud Member
I feel like this media frenzy is getting so ridiculous. I don't undertand why confidential documents are being released to the public. Who is doing this and why aren't there some consequences? I know that you and I could sue, but public figures have limited rights compared to private citizens. Still, it seems like dr.'s and law enforcement agencies should not be allowed to violate confidentiality policies just because they have info on a celebrity. This all seems, so, so, so very wrong!

I don't think so, just like Michael couldn't really sue. I think reporters can report on rumors and quote other sources, but if someone comes out and says that something is a fact and theres proof that those fact are totally wrong, then I think the executors can sue.

I feel like this media frenzy is getting so ridiculous. I don't undertand why confidential documents are being released to the public. Who is doing this and why aren't there some consequences? I know that you and I could sue, but public figures have limited rights compared to private citizens. Still, it seems like dr.'s and law enforcement agencies should not be allowed to violate confidentiality policies just because they have info on a celebrity. This all seems, so, so, so very wrong!

The executors of Mr.Jackson's will have a fiduciary duty to carry out his wishes and protect Michael Jackson's Family Estate...

At the moment,they have their hands full with much more pertinant issues. When time permits, they can/possible will look into the ones that are in violation of the HIPAA, and Privacy Act that have been mandated into United States Law...

Unfortunately, right now there is a free for all frenzy...

"Money" by Michael Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z27mYQBTL0

:angel:Keep Helping to Heal The World...Education Is The Key~~~

Last edited:
I don't think so, just like Michael couldn't really sue. I think reporters can report on rumors and quote other sources, but if someone comes out and says that something is a fact and theres proof that those fact are totally wrong, then I think the executors can sue.

What about HIPPA - aren't medical professionals supposed to get into a lot of trouble for violating confidentiality. And then, the police or someone in the department is releasing pictures, interviews, confidential documents that are supposed to be locked and gaurded. Where's the accountability?

The executors of Mr.Jackson's will have a fiduciary duty to carry out his wishes and protect Mr.Jackson's Family Estate...At the moment,they have their hands full with much more pertinant issues. When time permits, they can/possible will look into the ones that are in violation of the HIPA, and Privacy Act Laws...

Unfortunately, right now there is a free for all frenzy...

"Money" by Michael Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z27mYQBTL0

:angel:Keep Helping to Heal The World...Education Is The Key~~~

Thanks for your input. If that's the case, someone needs to send out a warning or they need to get on this because its getting crazy. I half expect to see the nude photos they took of MJ during the trial to suddenly pop up from another mysterious "source." I don't want to see it get that far.

I know the family is grieving right now, but it is their duty to make sure they have legal counsel to handle these situations. I would have had a gag order issued against any prior employees, legal counsel, doctors, etc. who may have worked for the Jackson family at one point and have knowledge of things that the public should not be aware of at this time. Mother has her hands full and the siblings really need to get their acts together and quash some of this craziness. They are not protecting his children as they should.

According to the HIPPA site, a complaint has to be filed withing 180 days of the violation. I am learning here that sharing protected health information is an infraction of civil rights and could be a possible criminal violation. They did this with Anna Nicole too though, but seems like this is far worse.

Good article came out today.

http://www.salon.com/env/vital_signs/2009/07/13/dr_arnold_klein/index.html?source=newsletter

Snippet:

it struck me as bizarre that Klein (who is himself on staff at UCLA) went public about Jackson. What made it even more unusual was that on June 30, Klein's attorney, Richard Charnley, released a statement requesting privacy that directly referenced HIPAA:

"Dr. Klein is aware of media reports connecting him to Michael Jackson. Because of patient confidentiality, Dr. Klein will make no statement on any reports or allegations. Out of respect for his patients and adherence to federal HIPAA regulations, Dr. Klein asks that the media not contact him or his patients, nor interfere with their medical treatments. Like millions of Michael's fans around the world, Dr. Klein is saddened by Michael's death and extends his condolences to the family."

Klein seemed to have had it right -- before he went on "Larry King Live." And HIPAA does apply to deceased individuals. "It doesn't matter whether a patient is dead or alive -- the HIPAA and state privacy law protections still apply," Stephen K. Phillips, a healthcare attorney in San Francisco, told me. "A deceased patient's rights accrue to his/her legal representative for enforcement and redress purposes."

At the same time, said Phillips, it's possible that Jackson may have given Klein permission to discuss his PHI, or private health information, in public. In that case, Phillips said, "you haven't violated the law by doing so, unless and until that authorization is withdrawn." I tried to contact Klein to clarify these important points several times, but never received a response. His attorney didn't get back to me either.

Whatever the case, Klein most certainly violated something fundamental -- common decency. A dead man's supposedly close friend, a doctor, goes on prime-time TV to eulogize him. "For about five hours, I couldn't move, because I was very close to him," Klein told King. His tribute then turns into his very own "Michael and Me" medical memoir, biopsy results included. It's the kind of jabbering that gives Hollywood and cable news a bad name, although most of us don't flinch at that anymore. But this time I had to flinch. By epitomizing the limousine-chasing, wannabe-celebrity doctor, Klein bruised the reputation of his colleagues everywhere.

Back