Tatum O'Neal Opens Up About 'Awkward' Michael Jackson Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassX

Proud Member
http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_212243655.shtml

Actress Tatum O'Neal has opened up about her relationship with Michael Jackson - calling their brief romance "awkward".

The 45 year old went on a string of dates with Jackson in 1982 and admits the late singer was already using disguises to stop fans recognising him in public.

O'Neal reveals she took the King of Pop to a Kool and the Gang concert and Jackson donned a specially designed afro wig and beard, created by special effects guru Rick Baker - the man behind the make-up for The Exorcist.

British newspaper the Daily Mirror quotes O'Neal as saying, "Michael didn't want to be spotted. He got a special effects guy to help. We had an amazing night, but we did get some strange looks as he appeared so much older than me.

"He was a huge star but it seemed he barely even dated and knew little about life. He once came to my house and asked to come upstairs because he'd never been in a girl's bedroom before. He sat on the bed and we kissed very briefly, but it was all very awkward."

LOL @ Mike wearing outfits to disguise himself.. God bless the man... Like Marlon Jackson said.. Thats what Mike had to do in order to experience what we all take for granted..

brooke and tatum only come out and talk when hes gone. interesting.

other than that its pretty surreal that farrah fawcett her fathers long time gf and michael died on the same day. wonder what she thought.

Its like when Michael spoke about his awkward relationship with Tatum on Living With MJ, when he spoke about being on the bed with her and then she backed off because she knew Michael was too uncomfortable..

Didn't she try to seduce him?, Michael grew up as a one of JehovaH Witness so he knew sex before marriage is wrong thats why she believed their relationship was akward.

Michael Jackson and Tatum O'Neal went on a string of dates starting from the late 1970's, not just in 1982 as this article states. Tatum did mention in a special Michael Jackson edition of VIBE magazine in 1995, that Michael came in to her bedroom and state on her bed, and was very shy. What ever year that happend I'm not sure.

I've never been kissed because I've never had a bf. when I was in high school I played truth or dare with my classmates so when I had to kiss a guy it was really awkward and weird so that kiss doesn't count, it was a play.
If it was both first kiss I understand them but at the same time I'm jealous that she kissed him :rant:

Michael in his disguise LOL:

09-7-09-image-1-49475847.jpg

Its like when Michael spoke about his awkward relationship with Tatum on Living With MJ, when he spoke about being on the bed with her and then she backed off because she knew Michael was too uncomfortable..

Yes, I greatly enjoyed Michael speaking about that.

She "opened up" about their relationship, long ago, this is the complete, outtake from her book:

"I met him (MJ) at the On the Rox, the club Lou Adler & Jack Nicholson opened upstairs from the Roxy on the Sunset Strip. Michael was around 17 at the time, about 5 years older than me, & he seemed very sheltered & fearful & lonely--not at all what you'd expect a world-renowned performer to be. As I recall, he didn't even know how to drive a car."
"He gave me his number, & we started talking everyday--long drawn-out conversations that sometimes got so boring I would hand over the receiver to my friend Esme Gray. Michael would just keep on, thinking he was talking to me. His usual subject was sex. At 12 I didn't have much to say about sex--all I knew was that it went on, pretty steadily, in my father's room next to mine. But Michael was intensely curious about anything, everything sexual, though in an incredibly sweet & innocent way. "He was a huge star, but it seemed he barely even dated & knew little about life. He once came to my house & asked to come upstairs b/c he'd never been in a girl's bedroom before. He sat on the bed, & we kissed very briefly, but it was terribly awkward. For all my passionate crushes on people like Dustin Hoffman, I was just 12 & not at all ready for a real-life encounter. So I said, 'I can't.' Michael, who was sweating profusely, seemed as intimidated as I was. He jumped up nervously & said, 'Uh, gotta go.'
That's the closest I ever got to Michael, which is why I'm amazed by his recent claim on national TV that I'd seduced him but he was too shy to carry it through. I absolutely adored Michael--as a friend--& I admire him to this day. I believe that he fell in love w/ me. I'm told that he wrote the song "She's Out of My Life" on his album Off the Wall for me. What an honor.
At the time of the supposed seduction, I was barely pubescent, & what I'd seen of sex so far was unappealling & gross. It may have been Michael's fantasy that I'd seduce him--and it's a little sad that he cast himself as failing, even in his dream--but it just didn't happen. "What we did do together was go to concerts. I remember seeing Queen w/ Michael at the Forum in L.A., which is interesting, considering his androgyny now. He came w/ me & my father to Hugh Hefner's mansion, where I think Hefner's menagerie--monkeys & peacocks & other exotic birds-gave him the idea for Neverland. Michael would hang out & jam sometimes w/ my brother Griffin...Griffin was like a musical savant; he played the piano, guitar, & drums beautifully. Michael would play drums, & outside on the deck, my father would be boxing to the rhythm. "Unfortunately, my friendship w/ Michael came to an abrupt ending. He'd played the Scarecrow in The Wiz, the urban remake of the Wizard of Oz, which starred Diana Ross as Dorothy. For the film's premiere, Michael invited me to be his date. I asked my dad, who didn't care one way or another if I went, but my talent agency was dead set against it. I was told, in exactly these words: 'You can't go to a premiere with a ni**er.'
Hollywood!
That upset me tremendously. Had I been old enough--or had I the parental support--I could have stood my ground & insisted 'Oh yes, I can.' But my father was too disengaged to help me think it through. So, without telling Michael the reason, I turned him down.
He was devastated. After that Michael didn't speak to me for years, until I ran into him at the Helmsley Palace in New York. For old times' sake, we caught a concert together, Kool and the Gang at Madison Square Garden. Michael dressed in full costume for the event--coming in blackface, w/ a pasted-on beard--the whole nine yards. But things were never the same between us."

Last edited:
Didn't she try to seduce him?, Michael grew up as a one of JehovaH Witness so he knew sex before marriage is wrong thats why she believed their relationship was akward.

Exactly. She is telling all these sex stories as if Michael was the only one interested. But this girl was on drugs and hot and left to her own devices by her parents at a really young age. I doubt she was any angel.

'never seen a girls bedroom before' smooth mover. Reminds me of when he was at a signing and a gorgeous girl with a cropped top and a pierced belly button came to the front of the queue..and he was like 'ooo how does that work..' causing her to lift her top up slightly and come closer to show him, then she asked for a hug. The guys around him were laughing, it was funny!

Wow, I really don't like Tatum's description/denial of what went down. Maybe Michael had her confused with another girl or something, but couldn't she just play along for kicks? And did she have to reveal that he was always talking about sex? What a bitchy thing to do - passing the phone to her friend because she felt the conversations got boring. Ugh :smilerolleyes:

'never seen a girls bedroom before' smooth mover. Reminds me of when he was at a signing and a gorgeous girl with a cropped top and a pierced belly button came to the front of the queue..and he was like 'ooo how does that work..' causing her to lift her top up slightly and come closer to show him, then she asked for a hug. The guys around him were laughing, it was funny!

Ugh, I'm loving all these MJ recollections. :D

That excerpt made me sick.
So much innuendo. "At the time of the supposed seduction, I was barely pubescent" Wow thanks for reiterating. SIGH.

Also, he didn't write "She's Out of My Life". At all. She should be so effing lucky. BAH!

(sorry for my rant... *blushes* it may have been over the top...)

She "opened up" about their relationship, long ago, this is the complete, outtake from her book:

"I met him (MJ) at the On the Rox, the club Lou Adler & Jack Nicholson opened upstairs from the Roxy on the Sunset Strip. Michael was around 17 at the time, about 5 years older than me, & he seemed very sheltered & fearful & lonely--not at all what you'd expect a world-renowned performer to be. As I recall, he didn't even know how to drive a car."
"He gave me his number, & we started talking everyday--long drawn-out conversations that sometimes got so boring I would hand over the receiver to my friend Esme Gray. Michael would just keep on, thinking he was talking to me. His usual subject was sex. At 12 I didn't have much to say about sex--all I knew was that it went on, pretty steadily, in my father's room next to mine. But Michael was intensely curious about anything, everything sexual, though in an incredibly sweet & innocent way. "He was a huge star, but it seemed he barely even dated & knew little about life. He once came to my house & asked to come upstairs b/c he'd never been in a girl's bedroom before. He sat on the bed, & we kissed very briefly, but it was terribly awkward. For all my passionate crushes on people like Dustin Hoffman, I was just 12 & not at all ready for a real-life encounter. So I said, 'I can't.' Michael, who was sweating profusely, seemed as intimidated as I was. He jumped up nervously & said, 'Uh, gotta go.'
That's the closest I ever got to Michael, which is why I'm amazed by his recent claim on national TV that I'd seduced him but he was too shy to carry it through. I absolutely adored Michael--as a friend--& I admire him to this day. I believe that he fell in love w/ me. I'm told that he wrote the song "She's Out of My Life" on his album Off the Wall for me. What an honor.
At the time of the supposed seduction, I was barely pubescent, & what I'd seen of sex so far was unappealling & gross. It may have been Michael's fantasy that I'd seduce him--and it's a little sad that he cast himself as failing, even in his dream--but it just didn't happen. "What we did do together was go to concerts. I remember seeing Queen w/ Michael at the Forum in L.A., which is interesting, considering his androgyny now. He came w/ me & my father to Hugh Hefner's mansion, where I think Hefner's menagerie--monkeys & peacocks & other exotic birds-gave him the idea for Neverland. Michael would hang out & jam sometimes w/ my brother Griffin...Griffin was like a musical savant; he played the piano, guitar, & drums beautifully. Michael would play drums, & outside on the deck, my father would be boxing to the rhythm. "Unfortunately, my friendship w/ Michael came to an abrupt ending. He'd played the Scarecrow in The Wiz, the urban remake of the Wizard of Oz, which starred Diana Ross as Dorothy. For the film's premiere, Michael invited me to be his date. I asked my dad, who didn't care one way or another if I went, but my talent agency was dead set against it. I was told, in exactly these words: 'You can't go to a premiere with a ni**er.'
Hollywood!
That upset me tremendously. Had I been old enough--or had I the parental support--I could have stood my ground & insisted 'Oh yes, I can.' But my father was too disengaged to help me think it through. So, without telling Michael the reason, I turned him down.
He was devastated. After that Michael didn't speak to me for years, until I ran into him at the Helmsley Palace in New York. For old times' sake, we caught a concert together, Kool and the Gang @ Madison Square Garden. Michael dressed in full costume for the event--coming in blackface, w/ a pasted-on beard--the whole nine yards. But things were never the same between us."

I thought Tom Bahler wrote "She´s out of my life", and that it was one of the songs Quincy was responsible for bringing to the table?:scratch:

^ Lol yeah he did. :)
I mentioned that too :p

and like I said, she should really stop flattering herself.

I thought Tom Bahler wrote "She´s out of my life", and that it was one of the songs Quincy was responsible for bringing to the table?:scratch:

Indeed...because he wanted Michael to sing about a woman rather than a rat.

Wishful thinking, Tatum.

Reminds me of when he was at a signing and a gorgeous girl with a cropped top and a pierced belly button came to the front of the queue..and he was like 'ooo how does that work..' causing her to lift her top up slightly and come closer to show him, then she asked for a hug. The guys around him were laughing, it was funny!

Why have I never seen this and where can I find it..

Why have I never seen this and where can I find it..

lolz i think it's called "girl fights for Michael's attention" but I tried searching for it on youtube the other day but it seems to have been removed :s

it was during his VMS signing just after joanne thomae had hugged him and they spoke to each other.

He was acting like such a perv though. I was not impressed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back