Michael Jackson's father: Singer couldn't have done 50 concerts

ClassX

Proud Member
Joe Jackson is stoking controversy again. The father of late pop icon Michael Jackson, who died of undetermined causes June 25 at age 50, told ABC News today that his son was not physically capable of performing the 50 shows slated for his This Is It comeback concerts in London. "I was worried about his health because all the shows that I'm seeing—no artist can do those many shows you know, back to back like that," said he elder Jackson, who's been criticized for comments he's made in the wake of his son's shocking death. "I knew Michael couldn't do all those shows." Joe Jackson asserts that the singer initially agreed to do only 10 shows, but that concert promoter AEG Live added dates when the concert series proved enormously popular. In a statement released today AEG Live CEO Randy Phillips acknowledged that tour dates were added, but put the initial figure closer to 31. (AEG previously released video footage of Jackson rehearsing for the concerts just days before his death, moving a bit slower than he had in the past but seeming ready to perform.) Phillips also maintained that with the concerts spread out until February of next year the pace would have been manageable for Jackson. "If [50] was too many, then one would have been too many," he said. The King of Pop's This Is It tour was slated to begin today.

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/07/michael-jacksons-father-he-couldnt-have-done-50-concerts.html

I don't know what is wrong with Joe Jackson. It's as if he wants to sue AEG so as to get millions.

Michael could have done these shows. He had 30 shows up till September, with 3 shows a week, then a 3 months break

October
November
December

Then 20 more shows.

There were even gaps of 5 days without a show.

So this "back to back" misconsception is wrong.

This was going to be the most comfortable thing for Michael. Maybe the world tour later would have been stressful, but this thing had been spaced out well.

Someone needs to fix a zipper over Joe's mouth ASAP.

I agree with you, but don't forget this may be true...Do you believe or not what Michael said outside rehearsals in late May? I won't say more....

Last edited:
I don't know what is wrong with Joe Jackson. It's as if he wants to sue AEG so as to get millions.

Michael could have done these shows. He had 30 shows up till September, with 3 shows a week, then a 3 months break

October
November
December

Then 20 more shows.

There were even gaps of 5 days without a show.

So this "back to back" misconsception is wrong.

This was going to be the most comfortable thing for Michael. Maybe the world tour later would have been stressful, but this thing had been spaced out well.

Good post!! :clapping:

I really don't see what was the major problem with the 50 dates, the way in which they were laid out. I'm sure Michael approved them. You just have to look at guys like Bruce Sprinsteen and the Rolling Stones who are considerably older than Michael and are touring around the globe playing 2 hour + sets, 3-4 consecutive nights a week.

I do not believe Joe and I do not believe those fans > Michael is a strong man . Joe and latoya (the ones who hurt michael and ready to do it again for money) are telling the world stupid things that will show Michael as an idiot and unstable person and people will lose their respect for him.

he is a legend not a reality show contest.

I think Michael was up to the 50 concerts. Because of the insurance Michael had to be okay'd by a lot of doctors. Based on that and the footage released, Lou Ferrigno's comments, and the statements of back up dancers, and the fact that he was Michael Jackson I believe he was up to it.

Plus the fact that he was rehearsing Smooth Criminal. That is a high energy performance. Michael might by 50 but his body is used to this kind of stuff. He's been doing it his whole life. Were not talking about a fat out of shape man who never excercised a day in his life here. Were talking about the best dancer of all time. I'm sure he didn't have the same energy and stamina he had when he was younger, but he was still probably the best dancer alive past the age of 40.

I don't believe the rehearsals killed him. I believe it was either drug use by MJ or foul play by doctors.

I think Michael was up to the 50 concerts. Because of the insurance Michael had to be okay'd by a lot of doctors. Based on that and the footage released, Lou Ferrigno's comments, and the statements of back up dancers, and the fact that he was Michael Jackson I believe he was up to it.

Plus the fact that he was rehearsing Smooth Criminal. That is a high energy performance. Michael might by 50 but his body is used to this kind of stuff. He's been doing it his whole life. Were not talking about a fat out of shape man who never excercised a day in his life here. Were talking about the best dancer of all time. I'm sure he didn't have the same energy and stamina he had when he was younger, but he was still probably the best dancer alive past the age of 40.

I don't believe the rehearsals killed him. I believe it was either drug use by MJ or foul play by doctors.

exactly, agree with everything you said. :yes: Joe needs to stop trying to put himself in the spotlight by talking about Michael.

I wish Joe would crawl back into the mud hole he's been hiding in since 1975. And I wish a gay couple would snog in front of him on his way there, just to piss him off.

Kenny said, Michael wanted to do "many many many more" shows and from his physical, doctor's gave him the 'ok', saying he was in fine health to do all 50 shows. Joe wouldn't know what Michael was thinking or how he was feeling. Only Michael knows that. I hate how so much is being said about him but Mike isn't here to speak for himself and give his own personal thoughts.

I agree with you, but don't forget this may be true...Do you believe or not what Michael said outside rehearsals in late May? I won't say more....

You dont know if that is true or not. That was Hearsay. Meaning either someone said it and they took it out of context or it never happened.

Like i always say... Don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see..

Joe Jackson is all about $$$$ He will say anything to make money! He makes me SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again....Earth to Joe Jackson....Your son is dead...Now please STOP TALKING.

I just don't understand why no one in the family tells him to STFU

Joe Jackson is stoking controversy again. The father of late pop icon Michael Jackson, who died of undetermined causes June 25 at age 50, told ABC News today that his son was not physically capable of performing the 50 shows slated for his This Is It comeback concerts in London. "I was worried about his health because all the shows that I'm seeing—no artist can do those many shows you know, back to back like that," said he elder Jackson, ... In a statement released today AEG Live CEO Randy Phillips acknowledged that tour dates were added, but put the initial figure closer to 31. ... Phillips also maintained that with the concerts spread out until February of next year the pace would have been manageable for Jackson. "If [50] was too many, then one would have been too many," he said. The King of Pop's This Is It tour was slated to begin today.

I have an issue with what Joe said here ... I am questioning his true (current) experience in the music industry - that led him to make that statement ... besides the fact that the concerts were spaced out over eight or nine months (which means it would not be back to back), the claim that NO ARTISTE can do that many shows back to back is very much NOT TRUE!!! I have friends who are artistes and have their own band and stuff ... very popular in my part of the world ... and not only are they and other artistes like them, known for doing more shows than that during that same time frame, they are also known for doing approximately 40-50 shows (if not more) during a two month time frame, as opposed to a eight or nine month time frame.

what world is joe living in!? Not back to back. 50 shows really isn't that much. And all artists do a lot more on their tours.

Just shhhh!

Kenny said, Michael wanted to do "many many many more" shows and from his physical, doctor's gave him the 'ok', saying he was in fine health to do all 50 shows. Joe wouldn't know what Michael was thinking or how he was feeling. Only Michael knows that. I hate how so much is being said about him but Mike isn't here to speak for himself and give his own personal thoughts.

I agree ... sometimes, when hearing all this nonsense about what people think happened to him, I wish MJ could send a message somehow to tell those people, especially his family, what really happened and why.

first of all, the shows were not "back to back". Plus, I could be wrong, but wasn't Joe in Vegas?? He'd know MJ's health status from there??

Joe needs to step back. He isn't helping anything.

Michael Jackson did NOT do any of this shows, so why it is so important?

Wasnt the concerts given like a few days break from each other?

Michael Jackson did NOT do any of this shows, so why it is so important?

This is what I keep questioning also. At this point, shouldn't the complaints have been focused on the short preparation time for the shows rather than how many shows?

And it seems that the argument was not about the number of shows but the scheduling of the shows. If it was truly impossible, why not fight to reduce the number of shows?

I will also say again, why is all this concern just now coming out from Rowe or Joe Jackson? If they weren't getting anywhere in "helping Michael" with AEG but felt that he was in so much trouble and being controled and isolated, why sit on it until something happened rather than put AEG on blast beforehand?

Joe Jackson is a big pig ... His should be ashamed ... he treated their children as some slaves, and now speaks only nonsense ... should be taken to a psych ward! ... how bad is life... :( an angel had to go to the haven ... and a monster stayed with us ... shame shame shame ...

Michael, I miss you!

The fact that Michael was examined by those insurance doctors twice AND appeared to be rehearsing fine to the tour dancers and to Lou Ferrigno makes me sort of jump on the Murder Bandwagon with LaToya.

Something obviously happened to him early that morning because he was still warm when he was at the hospital when they let the children see him. He did not die overnight. Something happened on the 25th of June. So why would someone be giving him something at that time? Unless he woke up in pain and wanted something and was given too much. I just don't know.

You just have to wonder why this doctor wasted 30 minutes that could have saved Michael's life. He still had a pulse, for God's sake. Why, why, why didn't the doctor call 911? What the hell was he doing?

I'm really hoping that investigators will be able to untangle what actually happened between him leaving rehearsals and the next day.

And Randy P is also distancing himself from Dr Murray by blaming his hiring directly on Michael. He claims that he told Mike that he would get him a doctor in London, but Michael told him something like, "You don't understand, I am the machine that keeps this thing going". Then Randy P supposedly said gave into Michael's wishes. Now given the sicknesses that Michael has, his age and the grueling stage performing he had to do, I can understand him wanting a doctor on board. But why this guy? What was so special about him? He claims he was Michael's long time friend but I never heard anything about him until now.

Back