Is the sun starting to listen? My response from the editor

bobmoo79

Proud Member
I have sent many letters to the sun over the years and have never received a reply, though they did print an edited version of an email once.
So, when the sun printed the story about Michael Jackson's string of gay lovers, I sent them another email, but this time I received a personal email on the request of the Sun's editor.

This is the email I sent to them:

"Subject: Michael Jackson gay life claims

I am writing today about a story I have seen published on The Sun website regarding Michael Jackson’s ‘Gay life’.
The fact that Michael Jackson is gay or not is not an issue for me, and I’m sure it’s not an issue for most other modern people living in England today. At the end of the day, a person’s sexuality is not news. This is not the 1950s anymore and people can be whatever sexuality they want.

BUT I have a serious issue with this story and others printed in the sun recently. It is yet another story written about Michael Jackson that is filled with content that comes from a dubious source. Ian Halperin, contrary to claims in several media outlets was not “Michael Jackson’s biographer”. He is merely somebody who has written a book about Michael Jackson – a book full of sensationalised stories, rumours, and innuendo. He does not have the inside track on Michael Jackson’s life, and stories printed in the press using information that has come from him has been proven to be false on many occasions. For example, he was cited as the source of claims that Michael Jackson was blind in one eye and that he needed an urgent lung transplant. Both stories were printed shortly before ***** announced his ‘This Is It’ concerts in London – concerts that should have begun tonight.

I urge you to check your sources and use some professionalism and decency to moderate what you are printing. There have been some good stories printed in the Sun since Michael Jackson’s death, but there have also been some very bad ones.

The other day you printed that Michael Jackson’s waxwork was his 13th. That is true. BUT you then followed that with obvious inaccuracies that I can only put down to intentional misrepresentation. You also said he had the second most waxworks behind the queen, who had 20. That is false. He has joint most waxwork figures with the queen, who also has had 13. The facts were freely available on the Madame Taussauds website before the figure was launched, and in their press release, yet you managed to balls it up completely.

You claimed to have the autopsy results only days after Michael Jackson died. A claim that was almost immediately proven false by TMZ and the coroner’s office statement, yet you did not print a retraction to acknowledge your non-existent checking of the source.

Your newspaper has a terrible reputation, but I would have thought that even you would rather get genuine information on such an important event, rather than to further sully and malign the life and reputation of one of the world’s greatest entertainers. Michael Jackson was tortured at the hands of the media during his life, but he certainly shouldn’t have to endure that in death too. What you have been doing is immoral and a step too far. I will no longer be buying your newspaper if you continue to treat Michael Jackson like this.

Regards"

This is what the reply said:

"Dear ?????????

Thank you for your email. The Editor has asked me to reply to you personally on her behalf.

We like to respond wherever we can to our readers’ comments - whether they are positive suggestions or criticisms - because the success of our newspaper is based on listening to you.

Although we get many more letters of appreciation and praise from our readers than complaints, you can be sure that important views such as yours are taken seriously.

We constantly strive to give satisfaction and value, and I can assure you that your viewpoint will be heard and discussed at the highest level. Where appropriate it will be directed to the Head of Department concerned for circulation among staff.

I hope you will feel that your letter and the views it contains has been read carefully and its contents acted upon.

Please feel free to write on any subject to myself, or to the Editor, since your opinions form a valuable part of the policy-making and continued success of The Sun.

Best wishes.

Yours sincerely"

As I said, I have never received a reply from them before so this feels like a real success.
Please email them as much as possible to get our side across. Our views CAN have an impact, so we shouldn't just ignore negative press, hoping it will go away.

Last edited:
I reckon that's just a standard email they send out, if they receive negative feedback.

They sound like right twats.
What's their email address?

They're not listening.. I'll sum up their reply:

"Great, another complaint.. I'll just reply back with my copy n paste email so you think that I actually care."

It's the sun. They have no morals.

They're not listening.. I'll sum up their reply:

"Great, another complaint.. I'll just reply back with my copy n paste email so you think that I actually care."

It's the sun. They have no morals.

what she said

sorry dude that's a copy and paste email :no:

They don't want to admit accountability for their consistent stuff ups and inaccuracies because *gasps* "people might not buy our rag later if they think we're all lies as opposed to occassional lies"

It doesn't address any of your issues with them,it's a standard e-mail everyone will get.
Why are you buying that rag anyway?

Definitely standard reply....
they will NEVER ever listen. They live from sensationalism, lies and completely made up stories. So don't even bother...

I don't buy the Sun, but it's not too difficult to read the stories they print without buying the paper.
Anyway, as I said they don't normally send this reply. This is the first time I have got it.
Make sure you always respond to negative stories the media put out there. I see it as our duty to hound them whenever they're wrong. If we allow them to print whatever they want without challenging it then they will say whatever they want.
Doing nothing is a sure way of not making a difference.

Hey good job, your email was really well written. I've also been thinking about sending them something similar but not so eloquent lol. Thanks for doing that, I agree, it's disgusting what they've printed, I don't feel like I can just let it go.
Like Michael sang, there's nothing that can't be done, if we raise our voice as one.

a "personal response" bhah. There was nothing personal about it, just standard. Don't expect much from the Sun.

I've emailed them before and never got a reply.

Yours was a well written email, I think I get too angry...

Sounds like a standard letter they send to anyone who disagrees with them. If they agreed with what you said they would would have sent a more personal letter about your views or concerns.

Well done you, now I am going to do what I should have done after seeing what Lorraine Kelly wrote on Saturday.

I won't put the article on this site, and hope I am not breaking rules by quoting her.

Paris 'But I am not alone in wishing she hadn't become the main attraction in the ccircus that was Michael Jackson's memorial'

She went on to describe the memorial as a 'reality show to revitalise clapped out careers and unearth new talent'

But the most foul thing she said was regarding Shaheen, ending with 'this cute and talented little boy had a lucky escape by not being sucked into the troubled star's orbit'

To say I was livid at this vile harpie is an understatement but decided she was beneath contempt, but now I think I will write to the editor. It was the deplorable ramblings of a talentless nobody who has a mind like a sewer.

I don't advise anyone to go to the website to read this filth, it was in their hard copy.

I've emailed them before and never got anything back so i suppose it is a success in that sense. BUt it does look like a pretty standard email.

...how easy it is to say "a close aide" said this and that without naming names hahaha...and struggling to put food on the table? wow, this guy needs to be in a mental asylum instead of being allowed to run around writing books...

sorry, just had to say that...

I think at this time, no one with a brain is believing anything on Michael. He is not here to defend himself and people know idoits come out and say what they want when someone dies.

get many more letters of appreciation and praise from our readers than complaints ---------------- Give me a break. This tells me right here that people think they are full of it. YOu can believe it is the other way around.

Back