Michael Jackson gig promoter to confirm O2 Arena tribute gig 'this week'

MJJISTHEMAN

Proud Member
NME News
Michael Jackson gig promoter to confirm O2 Arena tribute gig 'this week'

Randy Phillips hints that other Jackson family members will perform

* Jul 14, 2009

Michael Jackson's London O2 Arena gig promoter Randy Phillips says he is "confident" that a tribute gig for the singer, who died in June, will take place at the venue in the near future.

Phillips, who is the chief executive of promoters AEG Live, says he is in a race against time to make a final decision on the concert in order for it to be able to take place on August 29 – the date of the singer's birthday.

"The number one item I’m discussing is presenting 'This Is It' the production, hopefully with the Jackson's and maybe Janet, and other artists," he told BBC 6 Music.

"We have to make some hard decisions this week otherwise it will be too late to even contemplate doing anything on August 29."

Phillips added that the performance is likely to be broadcast on television around the world.

"What we're thinking about is one massive tribute that's broadcast around the globe. We've opted to go to broadcast television, either cable/satellite, or traditional broadcast."

The promoter also revealed that he is keen to start selling official copies of the memorial booklet that was given to fans at Jackson's funeral in Los Angeles (LA), which was also promoted by AEG Live.

"We're getting a huge demand for this beautiful memorial book. They're going for $400 or $500 bids for the few books that are on the internet," he explained.

Furthermore, Phillips responded to calls for AEG Live to reimburse local authorities in Los Angeles for the cost of Jackson's funeral policing arrangements, which are estimated to have topped £900,000.

"[If] someone of this fame dies, do you not give them a proper funeral in the city of Los Angeles? Frankly if you're asking me as an individual I think the city should cover these costs.

"No one planned on Michael dying; he died here and his family was here and he lived most of his life here. We [AEG Live] may contribute some, we're not sure what the appropriate thing is to do."

Source

http://www.nme.com/news/michael-jackson/46096

"[If] someone of this fame dies, do you not give them a proper funeral in the city of Los Angeles? Frankly if you're asking me as an individual I think the city should cover these costs.

"No one planned on Michael dying; he died here and his family was here and he lived most of his life here. We [AEG Live] may contribute some, we're not sure what the appropriate thing is to do."

Source

http://www.nme.com/news/michael-jackson/46096

Yes, and in the same vain, frankly if you ask me Mr. Philips, you shouldn't charge the fans full price for the "This is it" tickets! It's kinda obvious that you don't know what the appropriate thing to do is!

and how many tickets will AEG give to viagogo this time its all about the $$$ ppl wanted mike u think they wanna hear jermaine singing mikes song. the whole thing makes me cringe

Well just to prove to the world (even though it might not be needed anymore) that even when he's dead, he's still the greatest and people are willing to go and see whatever (almost!) it is that has something to do with him. I would be willing to pay for this for that singel reason alone =)

If the ticket system is a lottery again then i have no interest in going. They really need to think very hard about how they are going to distribute tickets for this after the fiasco of the memorial.

I'm not going to bother, i'd find the thing too upsetting. There won't be enough tickets for the demand, it will turn into a fiasco. There are no two ways about it.

I'd rather see just the final rehearsal than a recreation of the show with his family.

I'd love to see the band, the dancers, the songs played live.....but the main man will be missing, how could it EVER come close? Besides my ticketing experience with AEG is something I wont set myself up for again, con artists that they are.

Will this be free like the memorial in the US? Like a memorial for the UK...I suppose not. Or is it the actual This Is It show done by other people? I don't know if I could go to that.

I wonder how much they will sell the booklet for.....hmmff

''No one planned on Michael dying; he died here and his family was here and he lived most of his life here. We [AEG Live] may contribute some, we're not sure what the appropriate thing is to do."

And we would have 'contributed SOME' to ticket price.. not £86, that would have been the appropriate thing to do there.

I'd rather see just the final rehearsal than a recreation of the show with his family.
Well, they could mix it... have the band there and the dancers, tribute artists singing Michael's songs, the family doing some songs, showing rehearsal footage on the screens! And then they could release the show on DVD with the rehearsal footage added on an extra DVD! If done well, this could be a great thing.... well, considering the circumstances! Of course it will be hard... but I think it would be awesome to see some of the rehearsal footage on big screens at the O2! Of course, the downside is, that they will only have 20.000 tickets and it will be virtually impossible to get tickets!

The promoter also revealed that he is keen to start selling official copies of the memorial booklet that was given to fans at Jackson's funeral in Los Angeles (LA), which was also promoted by AEG Live.

:clapping:

That concept doesn't interest me one bit. Also, I dunno whether I will wanna go back to the o2 again in the near future, it's too hard. :(

I am not interested in seeing no damn tribute concert!

Jesus, who could've know like a month ago we would all find ourselves in this unreal situation!

It really is just too soon i think, especially with the idea of the hologram. AEG are hardly giving time for any dust to settle.

It really is just too soon i think, especially with the idea of the hologram. AEG are hardly giving time for any dust to settle.

Well of course not, it's now that they can make the big bucks.

I'm not going if they make a tribute show. I want to see Michael, nothing 's the same without him. Give us the rehearsal DVDs and whatever else you have of HIM.
And I doubt Janet would want to do it. maybe the brothers would but I don't see her in it. Not so soon anyway.

I want the dvd of rehearsals rather than a tribute show. If the tickets were free, first come, first served, fine. I can't see Aeg doing something for free though. I'd love a tour with the hologram, but it should be left until next year.

i prefer they played the video of rehearsal rather than see jermaine or chris brown singing Michael's song
or even fans party is much better

Aeg is really gonna milk michael name to no end. I don't want no TII tribute, no hologram TII, no impersonators, no nothing. Please just release the rehearsal and get lost AEG.

And of course AEG would see the dollar signs in the memorial booklets. But Im not gonna lie I would buy one for a decent price. Key word DECENT. I don't thank AEG knows to much about decency.

Aeg is really gonna milk michael name to no end. I don't want no TII tribute, no hologram TII, no impersonators, no nothing. Please just release the rehearsal and get lost AEG.

And of course AEG would see the dollar signs in the memorial booklets. But Im not gonna lie I would buy one for a decent price. Key word DECENT. I don't thank AEG knows to much about decency.
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

loss cuttings. release Michaels footage, dont give a crap about seeing the Jacksons perform to be honest, or Janet.

What I have learnt from all this is the total disregard of AEG/02 towards fans.

Why dont they just go on the proper pukka fan sites and ask the fans what THEY want, AND for once provide priority to the fans.

I can just imagine them all sitting in the board room rubbing their hands together and relishing the amount of money they are about to make.

Everything is soooooo down to money these days, in the old days there was an element of having consideration but now they bulldoze their way to the dollar sign not providing a care for who they are dealing with.

I have no time for AEG. If only Michael had never met Randy Phillips..........

I don't think Aeg know the meaning of the word decent.They need to sell it at a fair price & donate profits to charity.

I don't think Aeg know the meaning of the word decent.They need to sell it at a fair price & donate profits to charity.

No they clearly don't. I really feel they're taking fans for mugs. Esp over the ticket or refund thing. Now this...there's no way I'd set foot anywhere near it. It just stinks of money hungry greed to me. Breaks my heart. :(

Back