Mass balloon launch in tribute to Michael Jackson

Pivos

Proud Member
On the 25th of July, mykingisdead.com will hold a balloon launch in tribute to Michael Jackson. We don't want fans to soon forget the influence that the King of Pop has had on the lives of so many worldwide.
Be a part of this celebration of the joy that Michael has brought to each and everyone of us by launching a balloon in your name, your group's name, a friend's name.
Balloons launch on the 25th of July at 2:00 PM Minsk ( 12:00 Noon London, 7:00AM New York, 4:00 AM LA, 4:30 PM New Delhi, 8:00 PM Tokyo ).
The event will be video taped and posted on youtube.com and on mykingisdead.com for the world to see. If you would like to post the video on your site, blog or on ar profile page let us know and we will email the embed code to you as soon as the video is available.

I saw this at MaxJax and I'm gonna post the same reply I did there:

Um, I hate to burst any bubbles here - or balloons, as it were - but can't deflated balloons kill wildlife? Like birds & fish? I know it sounds nit-picky, but I've heard this repeatedly since I was little. I'm not sure if it's exaggerated or not, but it does make sense. And given MJ's love for animals and the environment, I don't think he'd want that.

Here are some sources:

http://www.mcsuk.org/downloads/balloons/factsheet.pdf
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-charity.html

And from Wiki:

There has been some environmental concern over metalized nylon balloons, as they don't biodegrade or shred as rubber balloons do, and a helium balloon released into the atmosphere can travel a long way before finally bursting or deflating. Release of these types of balloons into the atmosphere is considered harmful to the environment. This type of balloon can also conduct electricity on its surface and released foil balloons can become entangled in power lines and cause power outages.[7]

Released balloons can land almost anywhere, including on nature reserves or other areas where they pose a serious hazard to animals through ingestion or entanglement. Latex balloons are especially dangerous to marine life because latex retains its elasticity for 12 months or more when exposed to sea water rather than air.[8] Because of the harm to wildlife and the effect of litter on the environment, some jurisdictions even legislate to control mass balloon releases. Legislation proposed in Maryland, US, was named after Inky, a pygmy Sperm Whale who needed 6 operations after swallowing debris, the largest piece of which was a mylar balloon.[9][10]
The idea is lovely. But the end results can be harmful.

this idea is so beautiful!!! here fans will do it

I saw this at MaxJax and I'm gonna post the same reply I did there:

Um, I hate to burst any bubbles here - or balloons, as it were - but can't deflated balloons kill wildlife? Like birds & fish? I know it sounds nit-picky, but I've heard this repeatedly since I was little. I'm not sure if it's exaggerated or not, but it does make sense. And given MJ's love for animals and the environment, I don't think he'd want that.

Here are some sources:

http://www.mcsuk.org/downloads/balloons/factsheet.pdf
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-charity.html

And from Wiki:

The idea is lovely. But the end results can be harmful.

Aren't ppl gonna clean them up when they're done?

Aren't ppl gonna clean them up when they're done?

If you can control where the balloon is going, then maybe. But when you release a balloon in the open air, it goes up and keeps going. I mean, it's gonna float away and you won't know where it's going to end up or when it'll deflate. That's how they often end up in the sea or in trees.

Umm....

Like seeress said.. cute idea, but with serious consequences. Your balloons will pop, fall down and end up as litter all over the city.

Only 100% biodegradable latex balloons are used in mass balloon releases, so unless your balloons are biodegradable, I would ditch the idea.

Back