Did Michael let us down with his drug addiction?

Good question.
Im interested in how some people will respond to this.
Personally, i'm ambivalent.
On one hand, i feel a bit let down by him. I felt like in some ways he lost the game, that it was too much for him and that even though he claimed he was strong, the game beat him in the end ( the game being everything, the media, the claims, just the general pressure ).
On another hand, i don't think he let us down at all. A lot of Michael fans forget that he's a human being with strengths, weaknesses and temptations.
We all succumb to things that aren't always good for us because we are not indestructible and invincible like superhumans. And because Michael is just another human like us, his drug addiction shouldn't be frowned upon too heftily.

I mean seriously, speaking from experience, drugs do serve as a quick fix, and it is not hard to fall into the trap of addiction, especially if you are sensitive, hurt or lonely.

^^^

Well said. Personally, I don't feel let down by him at all. He was human like anyone else with strenghts and weaknesses. He was someone who had a lot of pressure and stress to deal with. I'm not excusing anyone using drugs, but I don't feel let down by him. No one here knew what it was like to be him or be in his shoes. To be burned like he was while shooting that commercial which I believe left him in a lot of pain physically, years of mental and physical abuse and the worst one was people making vile accusations against him. I think Michael was in a lot of pain both mentally and physically. More than anyone here will ever know. I refuse to judge him for that. I don't even know how he dealt with all of it.

I don't believe the media hype on drugs at all they did nothing but lie when he was alive so I don't believe they will start telling the truth now. The truth does not come from the media

since this is a place for honesty, i feel that you've been led by the media. this 'he was human' shit, doesn't fly. i know he was human. but that's a trap easily set to allow the media to spin yarns and draw our conclusions for us. we were not flies on his wall.

the only thing he alluded to is morphine in a song, and demorrhal..for pain. but not a lifelong addiction to drugs. like many things, the media took an account and spun it out of control, and people just don't want to admit to the media's great influence. and that they lie.

face it. MJ is a figure with extraordinary talent that doesn't fit someone's blueprint, for the human vessel that contains that talent. and that's considered a threat. a threat to the media, and other figures in high places.

no - he didn't let us down. i'm having a low vibe time of things at the moment. i'm still struggling with MJs death - I know we all are.

since this is a place for honesty, i feel that you've been led by the media. this 'he was human' shit, doesn't fly. i know he was human. but that's a trap easily set to allow the media to spin yarns and draw our conclusions for us. we were not flies on his wall.

the only thing he alluded to is morphine in a song, and demorrhal..for pain. but not a lifelong addiction to drugs. like many things, the media took an account and spun it out of control, and people just don't want to admit to the media's great influence. and that they lie.

face it. MJ is a figure with extraordinary talent that doesn't fit someone's blueprint, for the human vessel that contains that talent. and that's considered a threat. a threat to the media, and other figures in high places.

Could you break this down more simply for me? What do you mean " we weren't flies on his wall " ? When you say, " I know he was human but thats a trap easily set to allow the media to spin yarns .. " are you saying that we're using the term " He was human " to allow whatever that he did to be deemed as understandable when in reality, he probably didn't even do half the things the media says?
Im intrigued and a little confused.

A lot of Michael fans forget that he's a human being with strengths, weaknesses and temptations.

I dont think this right at all. I think you would find his fans do remember all the time he is human. It those who believe the shit about him, and who write stuff that forget his human?

Even if we knew the truth and if things were laid down as fact, i still think that certain fans wouldn't want to accept it and would still choose to see him in the way that they choose to.

exactly and how do we know he had an addiction?
I never believed it, his mind was clear and sharp he was ready to prove his genius to the world there was so much more he wanted to give, now they make him look like a human wreck who had no idea what the hell he was doing - the final insult. if he was taking anything it was either for pain or insomnia but that doesn't make him an addict. they gave him something that killed him and they're going to blame it on him just wait and see
they trampled all over him all his life, now they will bury him and dance on his grave

another thing that pisses me off - this new wave of fans that get into debates on Michael like they know crap about him. seriously! they could've cared less about him when he was alive and now they act like they know the man better than himself

I don't feel let down, I just feel sad.
Sad to learn Michael was in so much pain that even knowing the risks involved, he had to revert to dangerous prescription drugs to get some sleep.

As for addictions we only know about the one he had years ago which he acknowledged during an award ceremony and trough the song Morphine

Last edited:
Let down? Why would anyone feel let down? Sorry, I really don't understand that.

If he told blatent out and out lies about things to cover things up then I can understand feeling a bit miffed that we'd been lied to, but after all, we are only fans, we are not his close friends or family (even though I know fans were important to him, I just think in this situation we have no 'right' to feel 'let down').

I think that Michael did as well, if not better, than any human could have done under the terrible circumstances he had to endure.

I know I would have turned against everybody years ago if I'd had to endure half of the terrible things Mike had to. Despite everything he seemed to maintain his faith in his family, his fans, and humanity in general, whereas I would have said f*** you all a long time ago.

So, what if Michael had to take medication to help with his pain - both physical and mental - and then began to rely on it? Who are we to say we wouldn't have done the same.

As for asking did Michael let us down? Michael owed us nothing, but gave us everything he could. Let's thank him for that.

If still in doubt, read the following from "Will you be there?"

"But They Told Me
A Man Should Be Faithful
And Walk When Not Able
And Fight Till The End
But I'm Only Human"

Micheal may have been "only human" but, in my view, he was one of the finest ever to walk amongst us.

he didnt let us down- if he did have an addiction with drugs, it was something i guess he couldnt help.

The man had been in so much physical & emotional pain for so many years and he properly felt the drugs were somehow a way to ease the pain. :(

Even if we knew the truth and if things were laid down as fact, i still think that certain fans wouldn't want to accept it and would still choose to see him in the way that they choose to.

no. absolutely not. i think you discredit fans. i can be very objective.

i was a fan of a football player in america. a big fan of his. but he committed adultery, and the girlfriend shot him. the evidence shot him four times. and his wife knew nothing about it, until after his death. but i was a big fan.

if in my heart, i can see that something happened i would be the first to admit it. i would admit it about myself. what's the use in hiding?

but MJ's story is different. he had this childlike life, and faith system, and way of living, that was different, and with that, an overwhelming talent. and the two went together. and some people hated it. some people still hate it.

it's simply a matter of Michael not being the person THEY want him to be, to go with that talent, and spinning accusations based on that, alone. i can discern the difference. and they cannot insult my intelligence. and that has nothing to do with the fact that i know he is human. i already know that.

No I don't feel let down by him at all. Who are we to feel let down? Think of everything that poor man went through. The pain, it kills me to think about it. :( If he had a drug addiction, I totally understand him. I say if because we don't actually know. He's my hero and inspiration and if this were the case he would still be just that. He did a beautiful job. :(
I don't think we have the right to say we feel let down by him, he had enough on his shoulders already without adding that to his burdens. Just understand why. I just wish there was something I or somebody could have done to help.

Rest in peace baby. :(

can u all wait for the toxis b4 going on about being let down. some of u certainly have been brainwashed by the media.show mike some respect. everyone knows of his issues through 93 and the early 00's what exactly do u expect

Nyope. I feel stupid and guilty that we never saw the anaesthesia problems before.

Remember what he went through? Think you could have done better?

No.

He didn't and never has let me down. So what if he was on drugs? He was still a brilliant human being, he still produced amazing music, danced magically. Why shoudl I have any say or thoughts on what he did in his personal life?

The only way it has affected me is that it is drugged that unfortunately killed him and we are now without the Legend.

Its not as if he was taking heroin or cocaine.

We all take our own drugs anyway. Caffeine, tobacco, alcohol...

I would feel let down if Michael all his life swore 'drugs were bad' and "don't do drugs" and always acted like he was everybody's hero. But he never did any of that.

I would feel let down if Michael constantly gave to charity then it turns out he was stealing all the money from other people. But he never did that.

I would feel let down if Michael claimed he opened up Neverland free of charge then it turns out he was charging those kids. But that never happened either.

In other words I would feel let down if something he preached his whole life turned out to be a lie, and none of that is happening. So there's no reason to feel let down. As I said in another thread, most of the "greatest entertainers" i.e. Sinatra, Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, Lennon, Ray Charles, Jim Morrison, Monroe, Judy Garland were on something and people still respect them for their art and their works so why would Michael Jackson be any different?

On one hand, i feel a bit let down by him. I felt like in some ways he lost the game, that it was too much for him and that even though he claimed he was strong, the game beat him in the end ( the game being everything, the media, the claims, just the general pressure ).
On another hand, i don't think he let us down at all. A lot of Michael fans forget that he's a human being with strengths, weaknesses and temptations.

We all succumb to things that aren't always good for us because we are not indestructible and invincible like superhumans. And because Michael is just another human like us, his drug addiction shouldn't be frowned upon too heftily.

I mean seriously, speaking from experience, drugs do serve as a quick fix, and it is not hard to fall into the trap of addiction, especially if you are sensitive, hurt or lonely.

Beautiful answer. I felt a little bit bad about posting this question and wondered weather some ppl might get angry. But your answer made me feel better.

I dont like the question..
We, the world has let him down many many times..
he never, for a minute let anyone down around him....let alone his fans...

Don't feel bad about posting questions.
We're here to debate and if some peoples opinions do not mesh well with others, that's fine. We're all entitled to feel anything we feel like. I can see that some people do not agree with me and that's OK.
However, im glad you appreciated my response :)

id like to seome of u go through the hell mj went through without ending up on something in 93. mj owed no one nothing how can he let someone down for the most part he never even knew. if fans wanted to put him on a pedestal thats their fault.the title of this thread is disrespectful. mj isnt here because ppl let him done. he spent his life trying to appease others and this is where is gets u

He didn't owe us anything, it's not us he should have been thinking about when, say, trying to quit. And we're talking about a (possible) addiction to medication, not drugs per se, which makes a difference to me. So no, I don't feel let down by him at all. I just feel sorry about what he had to cope with and sad at how this ended. I don't blame him, I blame the combined factors that resulted in this tragedy. It wasn't inevitable, it was a result of everything that's wrong with this world.

In a way I just don't care anymore about anything.
I just wanna know what happened, let him be buried and move on.
If he was on drugs, then fine I understand... if he wasn't then great.
In the end of the day nothing will get him back, and my pain outweighs my anger.

If I have had to endure the things Michael has... I don't think I would have survived. It takes a very strong person to continue with all that scrutiny. It's an impossible task, and in the end... they got him. But boy... did he put up a fight.

I think that if it was drugs that killed him, I would think it is a shame it had to come to this. But I understand the road he possibly took. All he needed was a doctor who said 'no'. But unfortunately $ talks.

it should be considered that there is a bit of a distinction between having lasting medical issues, which create the need for some medications ... and that of the image of a crack addict or heroine junkee.

The only way mike let any of us down, was in simply being human. No, he did not conquer all and come out the super hero that many held him as.

Well I'm trying to stay away from media outlets now until the toxicology results come in. I was watching Entertainment Tonight and "Dirty Diane" Diamond was speaking on him(I learned from this forum that she despises MJ) so I took what she said about MJ being a drug addict with a grain of salt. They basically just dogged him out and I didn't like. MJ didn't let me down, he did too many good things to let something like this to make me feel let down. If any of the drug stuff is true then it just furthers my hate for drugs and careless people that only care about money(his enablers).

Back