Canadian Article on Lupus Featuring Michael

*~MJ Loves MJ~*

Proud Member
*~Neverland in my dreams... but yeh, ONT, CANADA.~
Hello everyone. I wasn't sure if this should be posted here, so please move it if need be. I found this article in my morning paper by Marilyn Linton, and feel that it answers or possibly could answer a lot of questions concerning Michael's death/ recent health issues.

Through my tears and frustration, I'm still trying to come to grips that he's gone. This article speaks of the complications of lupus disease, and how it I feel may have contributed to Mike's passing.

If AEG knew of these complications with Lupus or any other doctor, it's clear to me that Michael should have never been given the get-go to take on such a heavy work-load and tour. Bad enough that he was asked to do 10 shos, only to have it change into 50. Considering Lupus' symptons, anyone struggling with this illness could and should not have endured the rigourous rountine that Michael had, and was about to once again embark on.

Here is the article.

MAN IN THE MIRROR Health Section

Michael Jackson put a human face on autoimmune disease.

When we heard that the Man in the Mirror had tje "disease with a thousand faces,' many of us were in the dark about the condition that Michael Jackson had been diagnosed with in 1986.

In a recent Cnn interview, Jackson's dermotologist, Dr. Arnie Kkein, said that he knew when the pop star first walked into his office that he had Lupus erythematosus.

One way the autoimmune disease broadcasts itself is by a classic butterfly rash that spreads across the upper cheeks and bridge of the nose. (In 1851, a French dermatologist described the rash as wolf-like, hence the name Lupus)

Jackson, said the Beverly Hills celebrity doctor, had the butterfly rash on his face.

Given that there are approximately 50,000 Canadians living with lupus, it's not unusual to know or herar of someone with the disease, says Catherine Madden, exectutive director of Lupus Canada.

Raising awareness and educating people about the disease are among the organization's goals. Lupus, is complex and is called "the disease of a thousand faces," because each person's experience of being diagnosed, treated and living eith lupus will be very different.

It can attack the skin, the joints, muscles, lungs, heart, kidneys, brain or neurological system.

According to www.lupuscan-ada.org the disease (it affects women between the ages of 15 and 45 eight times more than men) is a chronic one whose systems can include extreme fatigue, joint pain, mouth ulcers, chest pain and hair loss. Klein confirmed that Jackson was virtually bald at the top if his head. (This of course was due to the burns from past)

Lupus sufferers are also prone to be super-sensitive under the sun, which is why Jackson was always under an umbrella when there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

In lupus, the immune system is unable to tell the difference between intruders and the body's own tissues. Trying to do it's job, it attacks parts of the body, causing inflammation and creating the various symptoms -some of then so debilitating that patients require hospitalization.

Lupus attacks are called "flare ups" and in their most threatening form, they can seriously damage the kidneys and other organs.

The goal in treatment is to reduce inflammation and alleviate symptoms. To do this there's a whole arsenal of drugs available from mild anti-inflammatory meds to potent steroids.

Serious flare-ups are often followed by a chronic phase with less sever symtoms and, possibly, remission. Preventative measures help to reduce the risk of flare-ups, so patients need to pace themselves, control stress, eat well, exercise regularly, and promptly recognizes and teat potential flare-ups.

It's because the disease takes so many forms that it's also difficult to diagnose. It's not unusual, says Madden, for people to take four to five years before finally getting a diagnosis. (usually from a rheumatologist). Confirmation of lupus requires many things, including meeting several sytmptom criteria and a positive nuclear antibody (ANA) blood test.

"Awarness and research in lupus is under funded," Madden says of the "orphan" disease for which there is no cure. "one of Lupus Canada's goals is to get Canadians diagnosed sooner so that there's less damage to their bodies and they can learn how to live well with lupus.

marilyn.linton@rogers.com

Notice how I stressed the part where it says, 'patients need to pase themselves, control stress, etc..' This is something that Michael was clearly not doing, and unable to do under the stress of the upcomig concert dates.

I hope this artcile helps to shed new light on what may have taken our Michael. There are still so many questions, I hope AEG and the rest involved can help answer them.

Thanks.

Thank you for posting this. A lot of Lupus sufferers do not live to be very old. I know Howie Dorough's (from the Backstreet Boys) sister died from Lupus complications at only 37.

Interesting...thanks! I'm just wondering if swollen hands/feet are part of the symptoms and flare ups, too... I remember Michael was pictured with a swollen hand during the trial.

Your very welcome VanX. Only 37, bless her. Yes, a woman I used to work with has lupus, and she said she really has to watch her pace. So scary.

And yes Sunny, one's hands and feet can be affected as well. Here is another part of the article indicating that:

'Fingers and toes turn white or blue (such as Michael's often would) when exposed to cold or during stressful periods. Known as Raynaud's phenomenon.'

My God, I see this picture of blue finger-tips and I think of how Mike's looked. Breaks my heart. Now it explains a lot. :cry:

I knew a girl at school who had Lupus, she only lived to mid 20's, I never spoke publicly about this but for the last 15 years or so, everything about her, her appearance, her symptoms mirrored Michael. Deep in my heart, I always believed our Angel Michael had Lupus, even though speaking publicly about his health was not apprioate on fan forums and I know I would have been heavily critcized and probally banned for speaking about it.

Thanks MJ for posting this, I wish others would take the time to read about MJ and that way they can understand why he did what he did (umbrella to block sunlight)

Thanks for posting. It was an interesting article, and I didn't know much about lupus. I heard on the radio that a lupus study had come out, and it made me think of Michael.

If AEG knew of these complications with Lupus or any other doctor, it's clear to me that Michael should have never been given the get-go to take on such a heavy work-load and tour. Bad enough that he was asked to do 10 shos, only to have it change into 50. Considering Lupus' symptons, anyone struggling with this illness could and should not have endured the rigourous rountine that Michael had, and was about to once again embark on.
He was able to do it for his other tours despite lupus so I don't think that would have been a red flag.

I knew a girl at school who had Lupus, she only lived to mid 20's, I never spoke publicly about this but for the last 15 years or so, everything about her, her appearance, her symptoms mirrored Michael. Deep in my heart, I always believed our Angel Michael had Lupus, even though speaking publicly about his health was not apprioate on fan forums and I know I would have been heavily critcized and probally banned for speaking about it.

Bless her, that's just so tragic. I can't believe this disease is so overwhelming.

Yes, I agree with you on the privacy and health issue on forums. It's hard, you don't want to offend, but learn so you can help and understand. It's sad now that some of us are learning what Michael went through, and what many other folks are dealing with at this moment. It's a horrific illnes to have to live through.

Thanks for posting. It was an interesting article, and I didn't know much about lupus. I heard on the radio that a lupus study had come out, and it made me think of Michael.

He was able to do it for his other tours despite lupus so I don't think that would have been a red flag.[/quote]

True, yet his eating habits were in better form. There was stress, yet not as much as this recent incident. When he spoke to those fans a while ago, you could tell he felt great pressure. Plus, the disease takes over your body at any age or time in life. Combines with vitiligo....the lack of white blood cells, you can't fight off illness...the poor man. I only wish there would have been a cure. I hope soem day, soon they find one.

Again. Lupus did not kill Michael. It would have been said by now. He still could have lived longer than 50. It really all depends on each person. Just like cyclecell.

No Terrell, I realize that, I'm suggesting the complications therof. As mentioned, each individual is different, esp when it comes to the heart and neurological system.

Yes, if it was totally due to lupus they would have said it by now. I think they mentioned that the test results are now posponed for another week? So confusing...it's just all so hard to take in.

Never thought I'd see the day Michael would pass...I think we're thinking this thought.

Thanks for your imput though Terrell, it helps to have someone to talk to. We're all in need of answers.

im sure Lupus amongst other medicine treatments and painkillers sooner or later will get to the heart ... weaken it I mean ... :(

My sister died from Sickle Cell in her early 20's. I have another sister that has it and it doesn't affect her anywhere near as badly so yes it does depend on the person and the severity of their disease.

I have an aunt with Lupus and it does cause hair to fall out and it severely affects the joints (she had to get a new knee).

As I was watching the MJ rehearsal footage I couldn't help but notice his hands. They seemed a lot bigger than normal and it looks like his knuckles and fingers were swollen. While I don't think the Lupus "killed" him I do think he might have been going through a flare up most likely due to stress of getting ready for the concerts.

All I know is that in my heart I don't believe Michael was a man looking for death that day....it just happened to find.

theres 2 versions of lupus one being discoid which effects the skin like klien said mj had and SLE lupus which is the most serious where u get complications and it damages your organs and can kill u at an early age.

Fingers and toes turn white or blue (such as Michael's often would) when exposed to cold or during stressful periods. Known as Raynaud's phenomenon.'
i get this in the winter my hands dont swell but they go blue and look like u have had a bare nuckle fight with someone cause it looks like they are bruised also when u go from a cold to warm environment they burn like hell for a while. but yeah the swelling was defo from lupus. my mum used to be on drugs for lupus and hands would swell up an awful lot.

Back