No TV Special Made Out of Michael Jackson's Tribute

KingOfPop1

Proud Member
It looks like there won't be a tribute concert for Michael Jackson being aired on TV. A report from Los Angeles Times suggests that the deal between AEG Live, who promotes the concert, and NBC has reached a dead end. A source said that NBC is not willing to pay $20 million for the license fee, neither are other networks who initially participated in the bidding war.

One of the reasons that prompted the networks to lose interest is because there would be no new footage of Michael Jackson performing or any other exclusive footage which are worth the staggering price AEG put on the tag. "And the cost of that thing is $20 million? With no Michael Jackson? Ha!" said one network source who requested anonymity.

Furthermore, AEG originally planned the tribute concert, which is in replacement of Michael's "This Is It!", to be held on the late singer's birthday, August 29. Problem is, the date falls on Saturday which happens to be the lowest-rated night of the week. However, the plan has been altered since and the latest schedule is in September where viewers are ready for Fall season.

Another factor comes from the fear that the TV special will end up looking like an upcoming documentary which will contain Michael's last rehearsal footage.

AEG has not issued a comment on this. Meanwhile, the movie version is slated to premiere in October, directed by Kenny Ortega.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00025849.html

So wait now.. We've got a TV special... the tribute concert... and the rehearsal footage... is that right?

Edit: ^^ TV special seems to be out...at least with NBC. Maybe if they come down on the price someone else will have a go.

I'm glad NBC didn't get it. They have hated on MJ with their bs "specials" and programs same as ABC. Thank God. Who know what it would have turned out to be in the end. They didn't deserve the ratings. However, it was a duh moment for AEG to hawk this thing for that price without any new MJ footage to go with it. They had to know they couldn't sell the same footage twice. They already sold it to Sony and no doubt Sony asked for exlusivity. sigh

So what would have been in this tv special since there was no new footage? That means none of the rehearsal stuff would have been in there, right? So what would have been in there I wonder...

Yeah I agree with you though it's like enuff is enuff already. I love how these media and record execs ar sitting around in meetings figuring out how to make money off of this man who's been gone for less than a month. Blech.

One of the reasons that prompted the networks to lose interest is because there would be no new footage of Michael Jackson performing or any other exclusive footage which are worth the staggering price AEG put on the tag. "And the cost of that thing is $20 million? With no Michael Jackson? Ha!" said one network source who requested anonymity.

I think I'd say the same 'you want how much?!' AEG desperately trying to get their money back 'possibly' as we don't know the above is true for sure...

Yeah I agree with you though it's like enuff is enuff already. I love how these media and record execs ar sitting around in meetings figuring out how to make money off of this man who's been gone for less than a month. Blech.

They are showing their true colours and acting just the way Michael would probably expect them too... :( I know they are business men and all that but it is all so crass.

gee how else can they make money? i got a BIG ASS driveway. aeg can put a projector on my property and we can project shit onto the screen. we can charge people go go on my street. how's that?

Back