Where is the Medical?

TomV87

Proud Member
There has been alot of talk about Michael passing this 4 hour medical, BUT very little has been said about it in the media. Surely someone must know something about it and come forward? It would clear a hell of alot up

yeah i was thinking that...............and what exactly did it involve? blood tests?

There has been alot of talk about Michael passing this 4 hour medical, BUT very little has been said about it in the media. Surely someone must know something about it and come forward? It would clear a hell of alot up
I think there's a reason very little has been said about it. It would have been carried out by a doctor acting on behalf of the insurers. The doctor will likely be bound by both doctor-patient confidentiality and his contract with the insurers, and the insurers aren't likely to start talking about medicals carried out on their behalf any time soon either.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coroner requested that information though... I don't know if we'll learn anything through his report, maybe we will.

Anyway, the fact that there was insurance tells us he must have passed a pretty comprehensive medical, because there's no way anyone would have underwritten a policy potentially worth millions without that. But whether he passed it comprehensively, or if there were some elements of risk identified (perhaps enough to result in higher premiums, or exclusions in the policy) we can't know at the moment (and maybe never will).

I think there's a reason very little has been said about it. It would have been carried out by a doctor acting on behalf of the insurers. The doctor will likely be bound by both doctor-patient confidentiality and his contract with the insurers, and the insurers aren't likely to start talking about medicals carried out on their behalf any time soon either.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coroner requested that information though... I don't know if we'll learn anything through his report, maybe we will.

Anyway, the fact that there was insurance tells us he must have passed a pretty comprehensive medical, because there's no way anyone would have underwritten a policy potentially worth millions without that. But whether he passed it comprehensively, or if there were some elements of risk identified (perhaps enough to result in higher premiums, or exclusions in the policy) we can't know at the moment (and maybe never will).

Not sure where the physical was performed, but if it was in U.S., HIPAA laws absolutely do not permit disclosure of someone's medical history to anyone without permission of the patient, no matter how "clean" the physical may have been; big time fines for that. From a legal standpoint and for investigation of his death, I'd have to presume his physical would be made available to the proper authorities if requested for something like an autopsy or if questionable foul play is involved.

Not sure where the physical was performed, but if it was in U.S., HIPAA laws absolutely do not permit disclosure of someone's medical history to anyone without permission of the patient, no matter how "clean" the physical may have been; big time fines for that. From a legal standpoint and for investigation of his death, I'd have to presume his physical would be made available to the proper authorities if requested for something like an autopsy or if questionable foul play is involved.

Does that still apply even though he has passed away? I mean alot of patient-doctor stuff has been said and released

I wonder if TMZ could get hold of it lol

When did they say the results of the toxicology are going to be made public?

Does that still apply even though he has passed away? I mean alot of patient-doctor stuff has been said and released
Interesting question, and one that's been heavily debated. But generally speaking, yes, it does still apply. Certainly ethically there's a strong argument for it (would you want your doctor revealing your medical details, even after you've died?), and legally (at least in some countries) it definitely still applies.

However, there's exceptions - for example, disclosing information to someone else to prevent harm to them. And a court can order a doctor to testify I think, again, at least in some countries.

Blabbing to the media wouldn't come under either of those though. Some of these doctors who've been talking to the media... it's pretty despicable really.

Interesting question, and one that's been heavily debated. But generally speaking, yes, it does still apply. Certainly ethically there's a strong argument for it (would you want your doctor revealing your medical details, even after you've died?), and legally (at least in some countries) it definitely still applies.

However, there's exceptions - for example, disclosing information to someone else to prevent harm to them. And a court can order a doctor to testify I think, again, at least in some countries.

Blabbing to the media wouldn't come under either of those though. Some of these doctors who've been talking to the media... it's pretty despicable really.

I know its disgusting isn't it. Ooh the patient is dead, so patient confidentiality out of the window!

I think that the fact that it is looking like it will be criminal will void HIPPA. I'm not sure about that but I think that legal trumps HIPPA, legal is not part of my annual HIPPA training. I also recall someone early on saying that once a death is declared criminal that patient doctor confidentiality goes out the door.

Thank you for still keeping this site going. I have been having a hard time dealing with MJ death's and needed to find a group of people that were feeling the same way I was and could understand what I was going through.

I had been wondering about this as well. If this should surface, it's gonna be pretty interesting.

If it becomes legal it is legal, not for media consumption. Therefore if it is released to the proper authorties under a valid warrant then that's where it will stay.

Legal does mean legal and you are right in that's where it should stay. However there is a little thing known as the freedom on information act and the media in the US knows how to use that to their advantage. If it not leaked as it will likely be, they will use the act to gain access to it. However in likelyhood if it's part of the autopsy report it will become public once that is made known next week.

Back