Does it make you wanna collect more stuff now that he's gone?

MichaelMySoul

Proud Member
Does Michaels death make you wanna go out and collect even more stuff from that you dont already have just so you can have as much memories of him as possible? Or do you find it hard to continue to collect his stuff after he passed away?

To the ''new'' fans, does his death make you wanna collect alot of his stuff? And if so, what kind of stuff?

Personally Ive got alot of his things already, but If I would expand my collection I would probably want to have some more concerts and interviews on film and his books. I just checked sites selling his stuff and the prices are unbelivable.. People are really taking advantage of his death...

One girl was selling her entire Michael Jackson collection... including autographs and rare stuff.. Makes me wonder what kind of a true fan would sell their entire collection when their hero dies.. I just dont understand it.. Maybe money is more important.. I dont know.. Would be nice to have some of that merchandise though...

Last edited:
I only have a Jackson 5/The Jacksons greatest hits album (the very best of the jacksons), now more than ever I want his solo albums for Motown and all Jackson 5 and the Jacksons albums.

For example I love 'Music and Me' and 'With a child's heart' and those are not on the greatest hits album I have.

i've bought things i didn't have before now that he's gone.. for example the Visionary

Actually it does. I have a huge MJ collection as it is. And I was happy with my collection and that I wasn't going to collect anymore MJ stuff. But now since I am rebecoming the hardcore Michael Jackson fan that I once was. Now I want to get more MJ stuff.

I'm a new fan and yes I want to start collecting stuff. I have 2 tribute magazines and 1 poster. Whenever I got to the store and see something Michael Jackson I have to go look at it, unless it's a tabloid than I won't even take a second glance at it. When it comes to books on Michael Jackson I'm going to make sure they're credible and not just stories that make him look bad.
I went to ebay just to check some stuff out and saw tons of Michael Jackson things being sold and I know that the economy is rough but I really don't understand why any one would sell their Michael Jackson autographs or collections. It's just sad.:no:

I had all of his albums and Jackson albums, I went into my old "box" and found magazines from years back that I had not thrown out so that I could store with his tribute magazines. Just bought my daughter a poster today for her room..she's 11. I also pulled out my t shirts but now I do not want to wear them just keep to collect. i wish I had autographs and such but never a chance. i have found a new love for you tube there is so much stuff there that i'd only read about and never seen.

I do. And for the sole purpose that his items are only going to up in value as the years go by. The more rare, the pricier it is. Things on ebay and such are insanely expensive, but they aren't going to get any cheaper.

I agree. I wish I could afford something that would get me as close to Michael as possible, a clothing or an autograph.. But those have been in action in generations and they only get more expensive by the hour.. Im not a millionaire.. Nor do I have thousands of dollars.. but a part of me wishes I could afford something that was close to him... an autograph would be the ultimate.. like that fedora hat with white autograph signing: 1998 ooo ---> typical MJ handwriting and unique... Wow..

The question is... does regular or common MJ merchandise still have a value when all his authentic (autographs, gloves, clothing, personal belongings) are such hot bids and sky high expensive? I mean anyone can buy his CD's and videos.. I could sell them, or buy them.. But the value of those things is nothing compared to Michaels autographs and authentic stuff.. I wish I could get a hold of those things instead.. Not that I would sell them forward.. I just wanna keep it as my special item...

but a part of me wishes I could afford something that was close to him... an autograph would be the ultimate.. like that fedora hat with white autograph signing: 1998 ooo ---> typical MJ handwriting and unique... Wow..

How gorgeous is this? It sold on ebay for $21,100!!!

mjhat3.jpg

Oh yeah, definitely.
I started to love MJ before in 2008..
And I'm trying to find anything about MJ that I can get.
I've already bought many magazines...
My big brother surprised me before 1 week, he knows how much I love Michael,
so he bought me the "thriller 25" CD & "Moonwalker" DVD.
It was so sweet of him... I almost cried when he gave it to me. :(
I gave him a big hug after that.

How gorgeous is this? It sold on ebay for $21,100!!!

AH... Classic! Even the mans signature was mystical... Now only if I could afford buying that from whoever bought it.. :p

By the way, MissJohnnyJackson, that was really sweet of him! If you havent got alot of MJ records, may I suggest ''Off The Wall'' album and ''Dear, Michael''.. true classics, so sweet songs in them.

here in brazil sony is releasing a lot of stuff
most stuff i wasnt able to buy coz i was too young and my fathers didnt wanted to spent $.

now i can buy ....

but the sad is that we can only find these releases so easyly NOW.

if only they wore available when he was alive...
he wouldnt be financially ill these years.

For me personally, no it doesnt. But alot of people have been driven to buy MJ products since he died. Some purely to extend their collections. Others to hopefully buy items that will only increase in value.

With ebay, alot of buying is happening. People seem to be buying stuff from there in the hopes it will be worth even more in the future. But its not that simple. Things generally only become valuable or worth something if they are rare, ie. few people have them. Stuff like original dolls in mint condition boxes. You can lose up to 80% of the value if you dont have the original packaging or its been opened. Most magazines, calenders, records wont be worth much more than they are already because simply too many people have them. Michael Jackson (this is my personal opinion) is at the peak of his collectable peak right now - actually it would have been the past month. Already most prices on ebay are coming down in price. In the first days after Michael died, Thriller (LP) sold for $3000. You can find people selling it on ebay now for $50 or less. Same with dolls. They were selling for $600+ but you can find them on ebay now for $140 or thereabouts, sometimes less.

The truly collectable items are the rare things, like genuine autographs that have been certified authentic, rare pressing of vinyl (misprint, color vinyl, gatefold sleeve), Moonwalk (by MJ is very popular at the moment with first printing going anywhere from $60 - $600), things like that.

Also condition plays a good part in the value of something. If its banged up, greasy, moldy, its generally not worth much.

I've met a few people online who were longtime Michael Jackson fans who were selling their collections. I asked them why they would sell when they had collected items for so long. The most usual answer was money. For a long time they said there collections hadnt been worth very much but now that Michael Jackson had died they felt it was the best time to sell because interest would be really high. I personally think thats a bit cold but then everyone feels differently and reacts to money differently. Some people are really driven when it comes to money and want to make lots of it. Others are content to keep their collections because no money would replace what it means to them.

I had a look on ebay and prices are continuing to fall. The mint condition dolls are regularly selling for $70 - $140 with some greedy sellers still charging up to $1000 for the same thing. The Thriller album is the biggest difference I see on ebay. Last month it regularly sold anywhere from $50 - $3000. But now some sellers have it listed for just 99cents. With Thriller the original album with gatefold sleeve is collectable, as well as the picture discs. Also the book edition of Thriller 25 with zombie cover and DVD.

I have a few collectible magazines still in good condition from back in the 90s. I've seen people selling them for hundreds now, but I could never part with them. I didn't consider it when he was alive, and I certainly couldn't do it now. :(

I do wish I had gotten some things I'd talked about getting before, like Moonwalker/Ghosts on DVD (which have always been relatively expensive for me, but now it's just impossible). There are a lot of things I didn't even know about until now since I was either a) not born or b) too young to be aware of it when it came out.

I do have as many of the tribute magazines as I can get my hands on. I only rushed out to get them because when magazines are off the shelf, they're hard to get your hands on for a decent price. I see some of the tribute magazines already on eBay going for $30 when it's only $10 or less in the store right now.

Some of the tribute magazines are beautifully put together. I only bought a couple because most I havent seen on sale in Australia.

With Moonwalker/Ghosts on DVD I would check ebay every month because prices will come down. I've noticed that most items have come down in price heaps since last month. It generally pays to shop around if youre looking for a particular item. I saw Thriller VHS selling for as much as $500 last month but now people have it listed for a little as 99cents. Same with original DVDs. Some sellers were charging hundreds (some still are) but generally prices are starting to bottom out as the market is flooded with items so sellers are lowering their prices to compete with the influx of product.

I don't think it's a matter of wanting to expand my collecting. I never collected. I always got CD's for Christmases and Birthdays and whatnot... but if I found something out of the blue, like a perfect condition Thriller vinyl at a freakin' thrift shop, then heck yes would I get it! I never saw anything Michael related until recently, and I think it's really cool. It re-ignited a fire for the lost passion I had for his music.

Secondhand shops and thrift shops can be a good place to look for items. I regularly give items I no longer want to charity shops and I was told by one of the workers that the Michael Jackson cassettes, books and magazines I donated sold the day they came in - with people paying as much as $5 each. The charity shop was happy so its a win win for everybody.

Theres an old record exchange I used to go to years ago that had 1000s of records. You could easily find Thriller, Bad and other Michael Jackson albums. Sometimes even rare Japanese picture discs. Nowadays I suspect its a bit more difficult to find MJ items at stores with everybody snapping up pretty much everything in sight.

Its quite strange actually to see people buying so much. Everything is selling. The day Michael Jackson died I was told people were coming in to the local newsagent and buying 50 copies of each newspaper. I actually didnt even buy one as I was just devastated and was in no condition to go out anywhere but its interesting how death affects people differently. For some they view it as a time to invest and buy more items. Other people grieve and dont buy anything. While others sell and get rid of items they already owned.

I was in Arkansas with my boyfriend and family when I found out, and the next day we flew back home. His dad went and bought all the newspapers for me. =)
I thought that was very thoughtful of him.

nothing's changed been collecting stuff when I was a fan and still is.
all I want is an MJ empire hahah so whatever scenario occurs am still buying :)

I never had much MJ items, I still have only Dangerous and Invincible from his solo albums but I will buy the rest someday, too.

I never had much MJ items, I still have only Dangerous and Invincible from his solo albums but I will buy the rest someday, too.
More than 4000 posts and only 2 albums? :) The albums are really cheap now like 5 euros a piece.

Yeah, the albums are getting easier to buy on ebay if you dont have them. Prices have really come down alot from past month where some fans were charging and getting $thousands per disc. If you shop around on ebay you can find them for just a few dollars as there are so many sellers all selling the same thing.

More than 4000 posts and only 2 albums? :) The albums are really cheap now like 5 euros a piece.
Yep.. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with that? I don't know why I haven't bought them before but I am still a big and loyal fan. (I do have the albums on my iPod and in stores they are around 10e here :cheeky:)

Last edited:
We may want to collect more stuff, but it's going to be even harder now with a surge of sales but at the same time also with a whole market of eager Michael fans.
I don't get thse people who sell all their things. Sure it probably does help with feeling better and not having his presence around the entire time to make you feel even emptier inside, but these MJ things are like figures of your past! How can you sell all of them? Keep one or two? Or not sell at all?

Yep.. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with that? I don't know why I haven't bought them before but I am still a big and loyal fan. (I do have the albums on my iPod and in stores they are around 10e here :cheeky:)

I don't believe that having a whole load of Michael albums/memoribilia/etc marks you as being a true and loyal fan. You can be a true and loyal fan and only own one album, it's what you feel towards him that counts!

Back