Nurse Lee Interview (On the Record)

wendy2004

Proud Member
I'm posting this here cuz I didn't find it posted anywhere on MJJC after doing a search. If I missed it, soz about that. I'm putting here for reference as another member asked a question in the Chef thread and the answer was in this interview. Just thought it might be helpful for those looking for more info/details. Only a snippet was posted in the Chef thread as to not hijack it.

Thanks to MaudAdams on KOP board

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530340,00.html"]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530340,00.html[/url]
This is a rush transcript from "On the Record," July 6, 2009. This copy may not be in its final form and may be updated.

GRETA VAN SUSTEREN, FOX NEWS HOST: So how did Michael Jackson suddenly die, at the age 50 and on the verge of an expected spectacular comeback? Michael Jackson's nurse, Cherilyn Lee, goes "On the Record."
(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)
VAN SUSTEREN: Nice to see you.

CHERILYN LEE, REGISTERED NURSE: It's a blessing to be here. Nice to see you, also.
VAN SUSTEREN: I appreciate you doing this. Michael Jackson -- when did you first meet him?
LEE: I met Michael Jackson in January of 2009 at his home.
VAN SUSTEREN: How did you happen to meet him?
LEE: Through a very dear friend, a very dear friend. He had a concern. His children had -- some of them were coughing, a little runny nose going on. And he's the type person, after meeting him, that's very concerned about his children and want to make sure they stay healthy.

VAN SUSTEREN: Did you examine him at all? Was he -- did he need any medical care at that time, back in January '09?
LEE: On January '09, no. When I finished with the children, he said, Well, you know, what do you do? And I said, Well, you know, what's going on with you? And he said, Well, I'm just feeling a little tired. You know, I'm getting ready for this concert that we're setting up, and the traveling. And he said, I'm just a little tired because I'm getting ready to start performing -- practicing and getting myself ready for that. So he said, I'm just tired.
So I said, Well, you know, before, you know, giving you anything, let's just do some lab work, you know, see what's going on, because there's many reasons why he could be tired. And so I did -- I said, Well, I can't do it today. So he said, Well, can you come back tomorrow? And I said, Well, sure. I mean, I find it an honor to come back, you know?
And I went back the next day and did -- asked him, prior to, to fast for me and don't eat any food after 12:00 midnight and I'll see him the next morning. So I went back the next morning. I drew his blood. And has very small veins, so it took a little minute. So I drew his blood and told him that once I had the results back, then I'll set up a nutritional program for him.

VAN SUSTEREN: Did he complain about not being able to sleep in those first couple months?
LEE: He kind of said, you know, he wanted -- he mentioned it, but it was kind of like "by the way" kind of thing. It wasn't, like, you know, I have just chronic insomnia and I just can't sleep. It was moreso toward April. That's when he asked me what -- Well, do you mind spending the night with me? I have to show you that I can't sleep, and I don't think you really believe me. I said, I believe you. But he said, Well, can you just come? That was around April when he started bring this up. So he said, why don't you come watch me sleep? And I said, OK, I'm going to bring you some tea. And I had another homeopath, I'm going to bring some other things -- actually this was more of an herbal supplement, which is very good for sleep.
And it already mentioned, he said I can't take anything with melatonin because it just doesn't work very well for me. I said OK, I'll make sure it doesn't have that in it.
And Michael is very smart, very smart man, very articulate, as you know. But very smart, and very well read. So he knew.
And so I said well, Michael, I said, I'll come. And maybe team. I said why don't you get in bed? And he said, why don't you come check my room, and everything. And so when I arrived in this room, I said the one thing that I was concerned about was I don't see how you can sleep. There is just too much lighting.

VAN SUSTEREN: Was this artificial light, Coors is like sleeping in the daytime.
LEE: It was evening.
VAN SUSTEREN: So he had lights on in his room?
LEE: Yes. There a lot of lights on.
VAN SUSTEREN: How many lights to have on in his room? Could you read a book? Was it that led in the room?
LEE: Yes, you could read a book with all the lights.
VAN SUSTEREN: But was he opposed a trying to do it with the lights off, because a lot of people stay in bed with the lights off.
LEE: I tried. I said, let's just dim the lights. Let's cut down on some of the music, because he had classical music that was ongoing in the house itself.
VAN SUSTEREN: He played classical music?
LEE: Yes, he did. It stayed on all day.
VAN SUSTEREN: Did he ever say why he wanted the lights on when asleep?
LEE: I asked him. He said, "I have always slept with lights on."
VAN SUSTEREN: Was afraid of the dark?
LEE: I asked him that too, and he said no. This is not afraid with the lights off, but I like my lights on. And he likes to have his DVD there and watching, he loved all the work, the fascinating work by Walt Disney.
Suite had one of the tapes on, watching that, along with the other music that was going on. It was a little over stimulating, but he said, "I always sleep like this." Some people feel they can sleep with the TV on. But I said, "This is not a healthy way to sleep."
VAN SUSTEREN: What Walt Disney's stuff was he watching?
LEE: Donald Duck.
VAN SUSTEREN: Cartoons?
LEE: Yes.
VAN SUSTEREN: Is a 50-year-old man watching cartoons with the lights on, was it unusual to you?
LEE: No.
VAN SUSTEREN: Not at all.
LEE: No, it wasn't. I have been dealing with all sorts of people for a long time, and he liked the work. He liked the behind the camera. That's what he found fascinating.
VAN SUSTEREN: So he was intrigued with the artistry.
LEE: Yes.
VAN SUSTEREN: So did he said just refuse to turn the music and the lights on, he wouldn't try that?
LEE: No. He said he is done everything. He said I've done meditation, I've done this, I've done that. And he just went on the list, and he said nothing worked. He said the only thing I know will work is this IV and the Diprivan.

VAN SUSTEREN: That was the first time, in April, that he mentions it to you?
LEE: He mentions it to me. I said, well, let's just try this. And furthermore, I didn't know what it was. But he said he was an IV. I said that whatever this is that's IV is not something I know you should be doing at home.
And he said, well, it's a safe medicine. I said I don't think it's safe, we'll let me just find out. Even when I went back to his house and taken him the PDR, the physician desk reference, and said, look this is something that is very dangerous, and you don't want to do this at home.
VAN SUSTEREN: So you showed it to him?
LEE: I showed it to him. He didn't want to look at it. It's a real thick, heavy book. I was trying to put it on his lap and let him watch it, look at it. And he was busy with his DVD, looking at something else.
And I said, OK, Michael. I will read you the symptoms. You have to know. I'm telling you the truth, I need you to believe me, trust me on this.
He said, Can you find me an anesthesiologist then to put me to sleep? To put me to sleep so I can get at least eight hours of sleep.
And I said, "You do not want to do this." And at that point, I was sitting there, actually we were having a meal together, and I sat there, I just had the worst feeling, the worst feeling. The sensation came over my body, and I said don't do this, because if you want to be knocked out to go to sleep, my concern is, will you wake up?

VAN SUSTEREN: June rolls around, and did you hear from him between June and, let's say, five days before he died. Did you hear from him at all?
LEE: Father's Day.
VAN SUSTEREN: He called you, or you called him?
LEE: He called me.
VAN SUSTEREN: And what time of day did he call you?
LEE: It was in the afternoon. That's when I received a call, when I was in Florida.
VAN SUSTEREN: Does he make these calls himself, or does he somebody else make them?
LEE: Somebody makes the calls.

VAN SUSTEREN: And says, what, hold for Mike?
LEE: He might physically, himself, or someone just called and said he's going to be calling you, but is calling from a blocked number. I said that's fine in a couple of minutes, and I was put to speak with him.
This time someone else called. And another person, so he called, and I showed her my caller ID, I'm an ER myself in Florida. And so I picked up the phone and answered it.
And he said -- he said, "You know, Michael need you to come see him. We want to know if you could please come today, right away." I said I really can't. I'm in Florida. I said "What's going on?"
And he said, and I could hear Michael in the background saying, "Please, just tell her, tell her what's going on with me. Just tell her."
He said one side of my body is hot and one side of my body is cold, and what should I do?

VAN SUSTEREN: Have you ever head symptom before?
LEE: No. And I worked in emergency medicine, and so, no, I have not heard that symptom before.
VAN SUSTEREN: So you thought that was unusual.
LEE: I know it was very unusual. And I was very concerned based on the facts of what I told him about the medicine.
VAN SUSTEREN: Is there any chance that he would have given himself an IV himself?
LEE: No. He was afraid of needles. And he never comes towards his body with anything like that. There's no way.
VAN SUSTEREN: There is no way he would have gotten the Diprivan and done it himself in your mind?
LEE: No.

VAN SUSTEREN: You're certain?
LEE: I am certain about that. He didn't want anything that was going to cause him pain.
I had a cream called shae (ph) butter. And I said, come on, Michael, let me just massage your hands because they are really dry and cracked. And let me just do that. And we started that back in February.
And he was saying that it was a little painful because it was so dry. And then after that, I said, come on, let me do your feet. And he would no, you're not going to see my feet.
As far as anything dealing with pain, no, never. I can't ever see him doing anything like that.
VAN SUSTEREN: So he would let you do it as a professional, do the IV with the vitamin C?
LEE: Right.
VAN SUSTEREN: But you don't think that he would have freelanced in the sense of giving himself an IV himself or something else?

LEE: Oh, no. No.
VAN SUSTEREN: Someone else did?
LEE: Actually, he would close his eyes for me to give him the vitamin C.
VAN SUSTEREN: So you think if that is the cause of death, the IV, somebody else did it?
LEE: Yes. He would close his eyes. He didn't want to look and -- no. No.
Because he said, "please find a doctor to give me this medication so they can monitor me."
VAN SUSTEREN: Some have said that they thought he was trying to avoid doing to concerts. Did he ever give you any indication that he --
LEE: No, not at all. He was so happy the night that he received a lot of the awards for the "Thriller." It was either that night or later the night before, because a lot of things came in from Holland and all these different companies.

He was so excited. He was so excited. He was so excited about during the concert. They were faxing him over the music they wanted to hear, or emailing one, but he had copies of it in his hand. He said, "Wow, this many people want to hear the song. This many people want to hear that song."
Was really excited, really looking forward. And more so, because he said, "This is the first time my children" -- and they would sit there and just smile -- he said, "The first time I children are going to see me perform."
(END VIDEOTAPE)

PART 2 - July 7, 2009

GRETA VAN SUSTEREN, FOX NEWS HOST: What have we learned about Michael Jackson's relationship with his children? Kind of father was he? Michael Jackson's nurse, Cherilyn Lee, spoke about their relationship.
(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)
CHERILYN LEE, REGISTERED NURSE: I was really surprised when I arrived there (INAUDIBLE) to see his children. So I'm thinking, OK, I'm going to see his children, and they probably have a nanny there or something. But then he came downstairs. And I'm, like, Wow, he's actually here. So I was really shocked to see him because I'd only seen him on television.
VAN SUSTEREN: What did he look like when you saw him?
LEE: When I saw him, he looked great. He looked healthy. He was very casual, and you know, just comfortable, and the most humble human being I've ever met. And he just said -- he was so gracious and said, Thank you, thank you, thank you for coming out. Thank you for taking the time to come see my children.
VAN SUSTEREN: What did you think about the inside of the house? What...
LEE: Oh, it was absolutely gorgeous. It was just gorgeous. But it was a home that you walk in and you know this is a home of love. You know, you can walk into a home that could be beautiful, but you don't feel the love there. There was just a warm sense of love that was in that home, that permeated that home. It just was wonderful.
VAN SUSTEREN: What did you think of the three children? How were they with him?
LEE: Wonderful. Wonderful.
VAN SUSTEREN: How would you describe the different personalities?
LEE: The oldest child is very, very -- they're very intelligent, very intelligent, very knowledgeable children. He worked with them, even with their history. They were home schooled, but he -- they even knew black history, very good with black history. He would ask them questions back and forth.
The oldest child was -- loved computers and was very involved with a lot of different things. But he was just -- he did a lot of things with his dad, too (INAUDIBLE) set up the DVD for him and different things. I mean, he was loving. I mean, he would come and ask for dinner, want to have dinner like he was a chef and read off the menu, memorize it and said, Do you want to have this? And I said, Oh, no, no, no. You guys go ahead and I'll just wait until you're finished. But just his personality -- outgoing. Outgoing.
VAN SUSTEREN: You know, because it's interesting because, you know, they seemed to live the cloistered life. You know, we never got to see Michael Jackson because of who he was. He didn't seem to go out much. He didn't (INAUDIBLE) you see a lot of celebrities on the street in Los Angeles, but this family, you know, seemed to be behind that wall almost.
LEE: No. These kids are very, very talented also, extremely talented. We had so much time we spent with each other. In February -- because I know I saw him a couple of times in February because I know -- something came up about my birthday, which is February 21st. And I saw him the week after, and he and the children had purchased me a birthday gift. And they had it all wrapped up with a nice, beautiful bow on it and they were all excited and helped me to unwrap it. And when I opened it up, his son -- you know, it was a computer. And his son -- Come on over here. I'll set it up for you. Let me show you how to do this and do that. And I said, Thank you so much.
But I was so grateful for the fact that he took the time to go and do this for me. And I just kept thanking him, and I had little tears in my eyes. You know, it was so wonderful. And I gave the kids a hug and gave him a hug. He was big on hugs, too.
VAN SUSTEREN: Michael was.
LEE: Yes. Big on hugs, and matter of fact, he even mentioned to the children, you know, love and hugs are free. That's something you don't have to pay for. You guys always remember that. But he was telling the children, Look at her. She is so grateful about having this gift. And he said, More people need to be grateful. And it kind of -- I took a step back when he said that. I mean, it's, like, What type of people, you know, he's done (ph) for that wasn't? I just found him a very giving and loving person.

thanks for posting this article.
Michael and the kids were so close knit abd full of love. He welcomed the nurse. He got stubborn when she gave him the PDR... he has no interest in it. He has his mind set on propofol. I hope we find out more about how he met MURRAY and how they talked about this drug.

I will miss his sweet face. Love you Michael.

yeap! Sometimes we are stubborn and it costed him big time. I hate the doctor who first introducted it to him. I just wish michael coulda survived this some how some way and that would made him stop!

Its to bad she didn't come out to see him before june 25th. it might have saved his life.

I do get the impression that when Michael gets something in his head, it consumes him, and he is fascinated by it and wants to try it and understand everything about it. If only he had understood that this was not safe!!!

I am not happy...MJ was giving away all the cool gadgets..an ipod touch thriller limited edition to the chef...a computer to the nurse....no wonder I cant buy anything decent in the shops...MJ gave all of them away...:)

God, this kills me! I love him! I so wish someone had been more firm with him. He was relying on the advice of medical professionals but they (not the nurse, but the doctors) seemed to be totally unethical.

I think I could go to any number of bog standard National Health doctors in England, tell them I cannot sleep, can I have this IV drip that will knock me out? They would've looked at me like I was crazy. You'd think that someone like Mike would have the very best doctors, not some sleazy ammoral assholes who'll do anything for money. It makes me sick.

Why didn't they give him some REGULAR sleeping pills, some frigging ambien or something. Anything but a fucking IV drip! That's insane! And it doesn't even let your brain enter the REM stage of sleep so there is no lessoning of tiredness, there is no relief. Being unconcious is not the same as being asleep - there was no point to this dangerous treatment! I cannot understand it! It killed him and there wasn't even any point to it! GRRRRR, I'm so angry!

I think I could go to any number of bog standard National Health doctors in England, tell them I cannot sleep, can I have this IV drip that will knock me out? They would've looked at me like I was crazy. You'd think that someone like Mike would have the very best doctors, not some sleazy ammoral assholes who'll do anything for money. It makes me sick.

lol bog standard NHS doctors????

Last edited:
oh god, I feel the tears coming on again:

"More people need to be grateful. And it kind of -- I took a step back when he said that. I mean, it's, like, What type of people, you know, he's done (ph) for that wasn't?"

oh, dear god. what he must have suffered at the hands of those children he trusted and gave his best to. how do they even sleep at night?

He was so excited. He was so excited. He was so excited about during the concert. They were faxing him over the music they wanted to hear, or emailing one, but he had copies of it in his hand. He said, "Wow, this many people want to hear the song. This many people want to hear that song."
Was really excited, really looking forward. And more so, because he said, "This is the first time my children" -- and they would sit there and just smile -- he said, "The first time I children are going to see me perform."
(END VIDEOTAPE)

This must have been the set list that we all voted for on www.michaeljacksonlive.com
oh i luv it, yet i am so sad about it..

I say we must applaud her for saying NO and trying to show/teach MJ that Diprivan is harmful. It's amazing how she had more balls then the the other doctors to tell him the dangers of this medication.. She was in awe of MJ but not so much as to put aside the oath she took as a medical professional and warn her patients of certain dangers.. Oh how I wish she would've have gone out to L.A. when he had called complaining about being hot and cold.

I feel for her. she must be really regretting not flying out to him right that moment. but I think she was sick, as well. she was in a hospital in Florida when she talked to him.

He should have gone to the ER if he felt half cold/ half hot. :_(((

Nurse Lee has been all over all the different shows. Maybe this is a launching pad for a new career for her. Don't know if this was posted already, dated the 13th. Sorry if it was.

link:http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/pr...hael-jacksons-nurse-cherilyn-lee-world-media/

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif., July 13, 2009 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ ----Michael Jackson's nurse, CHERILYN LEE, stepped in front of the camera, entering households across America via top TV networks, thanks to PR Whiz Belinda Foster, President of AWJ Platinum PR. Both Lee and Foster joined forces via world media outlets strategized by PR Whiz, Foster, to set the record straight first that Jackson was not a drug addict, but rather a chronic insomniac.
"After the passing of her client, Michael Jackson, Ms. Lee was the first individual to introduce valuable info concerning DIPRIVAN as a possible link to the investigation. Our firm gave her the platform to introduce this vital information via top shows on CNN, including Anderson Cooper, Larry King, and Nancy Grace; CBS Early Show; Insider; LA TIMES; NY DAILY NEWS; PEOPLE Magazine; and FOX NEWS WITH GRETA VON SUSTEREN, to name a few. A day after her introduction to America with this information, authorities discovered DIPRIVAN at the Jackson home. As a mother and a community role model, we applaud her for her courage to stand up for his integrity," says Belinda Foster, President of AWJ PLATINUM PR.
"I could not have come forward with this pertinent information to assist in the investigation had it not been handled with such dignity, integrity, and professionalism of Belinda Foster, Senior Publicist of AWJ Platinum PR. I commend her for all her hard work and due diligence in this critical time," says Cherilyn Lee.
Ms. Lee is mother of 3 daughters and a highly respected California health care professional with credentials as a Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Physician's Assistant, Corporate Speaker, and Nutritionist. She is also acknowledged as L.A.'s 2009 Ambassador for World Peace.
Visit Ms. Lee on the web at www.nutrimedhealthcare.com.

Back