[Study for Thesis] What was the first element which appealed you in MJ?

Which MJ element first appealed to you?

• His style (the Fedora, the band aid, the military outfit, the curls!)

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • His short films (which one? Thriller? Bad? Scream?)

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • His dancing (The moonwalk? The Robot? Which routine?)

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • His voice (which song?)

Votes: 50 47.6%

• Total voters

Ourania

Proud Member
Second question for research purposes, this one is linked to more "material" and definite objects which might have drawn you to Michael in the first place. What made you think "This guy is just amazing!". Please describe which element in particular once you voted.

- His physical style (the Fedora hat, the band aid, the glove, the military jackets, so on?)
- His short films (Which one? Billie Jean? Beat it? Thriller? Bad? Black or White? Scream?)
- His dance skills (The moonwalk? The robot/mime? Which choregraphy or routine?)
- His voice? (Which song? Human nature? Earth song? Dirty Diana? Will you be there? etc)

Last edited:
Re: What was the first element which appealed you in MJ?

ok i picked dancing but it was hard! Dancing and voice are on a par with me because the very first live action MJ performance I saw on youtube that started my fandom way back in 2007, was human nature bad tour japan. The beautiful lilting quality of his voice had my jaw on the floor and the hand placement thing he does and the miming stuff at the end jst had me right there.

It was actually none of these things! It was his compassion, love and genuine care for this world and children in particular...I heard a speech he made and I just fell in love! I was amazed at kind and sweet he was, how much he really, truly cared and wanted to make this world a better place :) Then it all just came from that...!!

His music videos/mini movies. Thriller, Moonwalker, Captain Eo. These are what initially drew me to him, and then later his personality, which I could identify with.

His voice. I can't pinpoint a particular song, but it was the Thriller album.

Moonwalker was my first MJ memory, after that it was a wrap.

I became a fan after watching his video "Earth Song" :)

Second question for research purposes, this one is linked to more "material" and definite objects which might have drawn you to Michael in the first place. What made you think "This guy is just amazing!". Please describe which element in particular once you voted.

- His physical style (the Fedora hat, the band aid, the glove, the military jackets, so on?)
- His short films (Which one? Billie Jean? Beat it? Thriller? Bad? Black or White? Scream?)
- His dance skills (The moonwalk? The robot/mime? Which choregraphy or routine?)
- His voice? (Which song? Human nature? Earth song? Dirty Diana? Will you be there? etc)

For me it was his voice first and then the dancing! I was five when I first heard Billie Jean & of course Bad (it was 1987 then!) and I remember asking my mom who was the man singing "Billie Jean's not my luv-ah on the radio?" LOL She told me Michael Jackson and I said "He sounds great!"

And then one day, I was brushing my teeth and I heard the beginning drum beats of "Billie Jean" coming from the TV. I ran into the living room, toothbrush in hand, so I could finally see the man I heard on the radio ALL the time. I didn't know it then but they were re-showing the Motown 25 special. My eyes immediately fell on his feet and I stood there about 3 inches away from the screen and my mouth dropped as soon as he did the moonwalk. I said "Whoa! Did he just do that?!" My mom just laughed and said yes he did. And then I made the comment that still cracks my mom up to this day: "Mommy, Michael Jackson is cute!" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clearly I have great taste!!!! :)

I don't really know lol. The first time I saw him on tv, was at the beginning of the trial, and I was like wow I got to know who this unique person is!lol

well this is difficult. the first earliest memory i have of MJ is the ghosts video. I think my sister rented it on film or something and its just one of those things i remember very vividly. I think i must have been 7? or 8? maybe younger. i had no idea who it was i just remember thinking he was reeeealy pretty. i was fascinated because of the way he looked- so unique. and the way danced! i'd never seen anyone move like that! i was never much into tv or listenting to music when i was that young and even as i got older.so it was really something for me to see! but i've always had that memory. the first song that kinda of finally introduced me to him is Dangerous. then when i realised it was him in that video i watched sooo long ago i was hooked. (more on the person though than the music and stuff). i'v only been a fan since end of last year- but it feels much longer!

I've been a fan for 16yrs.
I'll be 26 here soon.
I was about 8 or 9 in 1992/3 when I sneaked around my parents to watch MTV.
They were showing a Michael marathon.
At the point I clicked on to watch, Moonwalker had just started.
I had no clue who the man was singing and acting, but I was gonna marry him some day. :wub:
I watched and listened to everything I could get my hands on.
Dangerous was the first album of his I owned. HIStory was the first CD I ever bought. As a teen I had a small table in my bedroom with all the CD booklets on it.
My Mom called it a shrine.

Okay, even though I chose "ALL OF THE ABOVE" I'll go ahead and tell what I very FIRST liked. :p

The very first song/video I ever saw from Michael was "Beat It." I loved every little thing about that song and video, and was only about 4 years old when I first saw it. The song, the lyrics, the beat, the instrumentals, Michael's voice, his mesmerizing dance skills, all of the choreography, and of course I thought he was HAWTER than Hell. I thought he was the COOLEST person ever as a little kid, lol, and I wanted to be just like him and own a "Beat It jacket." It was basically love at first sight, and I've been one of his well-wishers ever since. :D

That was still probably more than one option, though, right? :lol:

I love his voice and his dancing especially when they are combined!!! But I was fascinated by the video clip of Give in to me! When I saw it, I was just WOW!!!:wub: So, I have to go with the option of short films!!!

Aww...why isn't there an option for Michael as a person? :)
I was watching the MSG concert on TV in 2001 and the montages of Michael during 'Heal The World' was what grabbed me first of all.

My mom rent the Moonwalker video, and that probably change my life forever.
I have never seen anything like that in the wordl!!!
I was so impressed and shock, how someone can be so amazing was out of my mind.
But at the end when I saw the Smooth Criminal video, right there I new I was going to love this man forever no matter what.
And that is what happen, I love you forever Michael!
swv6vl.jpg

My first memory was when i was a little girl during the nineties watching the "Leave me Alone" Film clip. I was attracted to the style of the clip and i kind of had a crush on him as well so i guess it's style. But there's always been something about him that i've inherently been drawn to. I can't really pin point it to one thing though.

The first memory I have of MJ was watching his short films...I was so little and clueless at this time that I didn't even know he was famous for singing/dancing. I was just like "these videos are awesome!" haha. So for the FIRST element which appealed to me I picked short films. :D

I had to vote his voice, because I fell in love with his music first, before I even knew who he was and what he looked like.
The first song of his that I ever listened to was "Bad".

Hmmmmmm, I guess my first memory of Michael is watching moonwalker a million times when I was little. We had the VHS (i have no idea who bought it-my parents, I guess). I must've been really little cause I was born in '86!!

Voice. I heard him before I ever saw him. And I believe it was Heal the World.

His voice and I'm pretty most of the popular songs on Off the Wall are the first songs I remember from him.

I was five years old when saw his video "Do You remember the Time",
and i was fascinated by his appearance , his hair, his smile, his eyes..... he was too beautiful, most beautiful human i have ever seen,
i remember i was wondering: god, why is he so adorable, so beautiful...
how can human be so perfect?!

and of caurse i loved video too much, the part when he vanishes was my favorite...

and after that day i was dreaming that he was my boyfriend....:D

Back