Director Roman Polanski held in Zurich on 31 Year Old Arrest Warrant for Unlawful Sex

Agent M

Proud Member
Roman Polanski 'held in Zurich'

Film director Roman Polanski has been taken into custody on a 31-year-old US arrest warrant, organisers of the Zurich Film Festival have said

The organisers say Polanski, 76, was detained by police on Saturday as he travelled to Switzerland from France to collect a lifetime achievement award.

Police in Zurich could not immediately confirm the information.

Mr Polanski admitted unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977, but fled to France before sentencing.

He was initially indicted on six felony counts and faced up to life in prison.

In recent years, he has tried to have the rape case dismissed, but a US judge formally rejected that request in May.

Judge Peter Espinoza agreed there was misconduct by the judge in the original case, but said Mr Polanski must return to the US to apply for dismissal.

Mr Polanski's lawyers said he would not return to the US because he would be immediately arrested as a fugitive.

The Polish-born filmmaker has not set foot in the US for more than 30 years. He has even avoided shooting in the UK for fear of extradition.

His Oscar for directing 2002's The Pianist was collected by Harrison Ford.

The organisers of the Zurich Film Festival said Polanski's detention had caused "shock and dismay," but that they would go ahead with a planned retrospective of the director's work on Sunday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8277176.stm

uurgh this is ridiculous they should leave the man alone

Off Topic: I didn't know he directed Pianist! I love that film, although it's so hard to watch :(

yes...I always thought the tragedy in his life inspired him in his work

lol I was expecting this...I know the details of this case and the girl was not "drugged and raped", don't talk before you know all the details you fall into the media trap like the rest of the public
yes he was wrong for sleeping with a 13 year old girl and he did have some psychological issues, but she was not that this stupid innocent little girl who got lured into this by an evil creepy man he is not this dangerous insane man the way the american media tried to paint him. remember the insults they threw on his murdered wife after she was killed? adding insult to injury because that's what americans do they're all about sensationalism
anyway I know no matter what I say you're going to have a field day with this so go ahead tear it apart...byye

lol I was expecting this...I know the details of this case and the girl was not "drugged and raped", don't talk before you know all the details you fall into the media trap like the rest of the public
yes he was wrong for sleeping with a 13 year old girl and he did have some psychological issues, but she was not that this stupid innocent little girl who got lured into this by an evil creepy man he is not this dangerous insane man the way the american media tried to paint him. remember the insults they threw on his murdered wife after she was killed? adding insult to injury because that's what americans do they're all about sensationalism
anyway I know no matter what I say you're going to have a field day with this so go ahead tear it apart...byye

I don't care how innocent or slutty she was, she was still underage and she told him "no" repeatedly but he kept going. Sugar coat it all you want but it was rape.

Now if he wants to argue that his state of mind was effed up, then he should have done that in court... not ran and hid for 30 years.

I don't care how innocent or slutty she was, she was still underage and she told him "no" repeatedly but he kept going. Sugar coat it all you want but it was rape.

Now if he wants to argue that his state of mind was effed up, then he should have done that in court... not ran and hid for 30 years.

I agree.

Also, even *if* she had said yes, he was still the adult. There is a responsibility there that comes with knowing the law.

Agreed on the court thing too Cozzie, there was a time to argue his state of mind and profess his innocence. In court.

Indeed.

This has nothing to do with the dreadful murder of his wife, he is an adult and he is not above the law.

He deserves to spend many years in jail.. He is a criminal!
but I liked his movie "the Pianist".

they did reach a plea agreement in court and he served time in jail for that but when he got out the judge broke the initial agreement despite the fact that the victim opposed further incarceration and had already reached a settlement with Polanski

he fled like the donkey he was. he knew he was guilty and he made it a point not to be on us soil or places w/ an ex. treaty for a reason.

sorry but look up nambla and see wha tu find. those boys think it's right and loving too...does it make it right?

are prostitutes too unsavory to be raped? can we not mourn when a drug dealer is killed in a drive by?

Honestly, all I really know about the guy was what happened to his wife... so I can't try to defend him.

What I do know is that fleeing before sentencing....is illegal. He left the country and never came back because fleeing was illegal and he knew there was a warrant waiting for him here. If he didn't agree with what happened reguarding the judge...then you sit in jail and appeal like everyone else does. That was his legal right to do. Instead, he ran.

Well I mean is he honestly a threat to society? I really don't think so, but I have mixed feelings about this one. He should have been arrested 30+ years ago instead of now I feel. I mean he is 70 years old, but either way, what he did is wrong and disgusting. A grown man like him in his 40's having sex with a little 13 year old girl, wtf is wrong with him? I read the details of the case and it was gross, he plead guilty so i'm not jumping to conclusions here. He admitted to wrong doing.

The whole thing sickens me but I feel like this happened so long ago that I don't know what to think or feel about this. What is the "victim" saying? Did she say anything at all and does she want him in prison?

He should go to jail for this, even all these years later, taking away a childs innocenc, there is nothing more evil some could do in my opinion, what affect must that have had on her through out her entire life?
In his right mind or not, no matter how many years ago this was, he should be punished!

I don't think the arrest for 31yr old warrant for Roman Polanski's is just about the Polanski having unlawful sex with an underage girl. It's also the fact he is a fugative and has to a large extent humiliated the US legal system.

He should have stayed in the USA, and not fled to France and faced a trial by jury. It is a known fact that he was promised by a judge in 1977 not to be stentanced (or just serve a very short setentance) as along he admitted he was guilty of the charges of having sex with an underage girl, which he did admit. The girl in question now a woman in her 40's wants Polanski's case thrown out of court so he can return to the USA a free man. She has forgiven him and doesn't want to be constantly reminded of this horrible incident in her life.

Roman Polanski has made some brilliant films, but the fact is even though he commited this crime in 1977 he should still face the USA legal system, and face up to his wrong doing despite being forgiven by the women he had underage sex with.

I can't help but think of how hypocritcal the media and Hollywood are, they actually feel sorry for Roman Polanski who admitted to having sex with an underage girl. Yet Michael was treated like a guilty man despite being aquitted on all 10 counts of a child abuse trial that showed the Gavin and his family were serial liars out to scam people who helped them for money.

I can't help but think of how hypocritcal the media and Hollywood are, they actually feel sorry for Roman Polanski who admitted to having sex with an underage girl. Yet Michael was treated like a guilty man despite being aquitted on all 10 counts of a child abuse trial that showed the Gavin and his family were serial liars out to scam people who helped them for money.

An excellent post. I recommend you do some serious reserach into the ownership of various media conglomerates. Find out their backgrounds and what their political affiliations and sympathies are.

good about time. talk about one rule for one one rule for another. the hypocrasey (sp) of it make me sick

haha i love the hypocrisy of the media. major companies are pulling for his release. major movie studios as well. they release him, im boycotting their products and movies

Saw this on KOP, I thought it was pretty informative..

http://gawker.com/5369388/roman-polanski-faqs

As the world has learned, 77 year old director Roman Polanski was arrested and
faces extradition to the US over a 31 year old rape case. Seemed a good moment
to sort out what the h- this is all about.

Q: Who is this old dude anyway?
A: Roman Polanski's is one of most colorful lives of the 20th Century. A young
Jewish boy when the Nazis invaded Poland, he managed to survive the war, hiding
out while his parents were deported to concentration camps. Becoming an
internationally celebrated filmmaker in his 20's, Polanski defected from his
native Poland to seek artistic freedom in the west. In France and later in the
US, he became a noted international playboy and directed a run of still classics
that included Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown. After settling down and
marrying actress Sharon Tate however, his long-denied domestic bliss was
interrupted when Charles Manson's apostles murdered his very pregnant young
wife. Polanski's post-Tate period witnessed a return to his international
playboy ways, an epoch ended by his arrest for rape in 1977.

Q: What was he accused of?
A: The LA District Attorney charged Polanski with luring a thirteen year old
aspiring actress/model to Jack Nicholson's home, drugging and anally raping her.

Q: Was the girl Justine Bateman?
A: No! But this was an urban legend for many years. The victim's name is in fact
Samantha Geimer who has since spoken to the press about her experience,
including today expressing her wishes that Polanski be punished no further.

Q: What happened with his trial?
A: As detailed in a recent documentary, Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, the
trial was a circus that makes the OJ case look like a model of jurisprudence. A
judge in love with the spotlight ran the case in circles while seemingly
allowing every day's headlines to dictate his rulings. Ultimately, Polanski
allowed himself to be jailed for 90 to undergo psychiatric evaluation on the
understanding that this time served would constitute the bulk of his punishment.
When it appeared, however, that the judge was on the brink of reneging on this
promise and Polanski was facing a much longer imprisonment, he fled the country.

Q: What has he done since fleeing the U.S.?
A: Since fleeing in 1988, Polanski has lived in France where he has continued to
work as a director, making big budget films—such as Frantic, staring Harrison
Ford—in cooperation with American film companies. His career went through a
rough patch in the '80s and '90s after a series of tepid misfires (eg. Pirates).
He recently, however, has had a bit of a comeback winning from afar the Academy
Award for The Pianist, a film inspired by his own adventures hiding out from the
Nazis.

Q: Why haven't we brought him back before?
A: Since defecting from Poland, Polanski has held French citizenship and
France's extradition treaty with the US forbids sending us their own citizens.
Since fleeing, he has been careful not to venture to countries which might send
him back. According to the LA Times, U.S. Marshalls have come close to nabbing
Polanski half a dozen times when he traveled in recent years, but "for one
reason or another, it just didn't work out."

Q: Why are the Europeans making such a fuss over this now?
A: In France in particular, Polanski symbolizes much of the cultural war between
the U.S. and Europe, with the director cast in the role of urbane free-spirited
intellectual, hunted down and persecuted by the bigoted, close-minded xenophobic
Americans. There is certainly truth on both sides. Prejudice played a big role
in how Polanski was viewed during his trial and even after the murder of his
wife, he was shamefully portrayed in many press accounts as bizarre outsider
figure who was somehow responsible for the slayings. However, be that as it may,
drugging and raping a 13 year old girl ain't tiddlywinks.

Q: Isn't it kinda weird that this is happening the week after the first of his
wife's murderers dies?
A: Yes, it is, but such is the roller-coaster ride of the life of Roman
Polanski.

the honorable polansky drugged, raped, and sodomized a 13 year old (8th grader).
he served 30-40 DAYS..... while awaiting sentencing...
the judge was ready to sign off on the plea deal reached which would have let him get off with "TIME SERVED"- 30-40 DAYS for drugging, raping, and sodomizing a 13 year old girl.

the judge was ready to allow all this to happen.... except the honorable polansky was seen in a docu/interview bragging and being smugged about liking "younger" girls.
Then the judge saw polansky in europe somewhere being surrounded by young girls at a party/bar.... based on these two instances the judge had a change of mind , also he fled.

HOLLYWOOD = HYPOCRITES

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

where is Diane Demon and Gloria ? shouldn't they be leading a mob ? or is it ok because its not Michael in the hot seat?

Yep you got a point there, they treated Michael Jackson an innocent guy like crap while a guy who admitted that he had sex with the girl gets support and pity. People can be hypocritical sometimes. This is maddening to me. :mat: The same celebs that are supporting the guy were treating Michael like he's toxic, Mike had to fight it with a few celebs.

Last edited:
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

where is Diane Demon and Gloria ? shouldn't they be leading a mob ? or is it ok because its not Michael in the hot seat?

I am glad you guys said this. I was thinking the exact same thing. They had no real evidence on MJ and they investigated and harassed MJ for years, but here come the stars defending Polanski and he took the plea and then left the country. WOW.
Read this: You may already know about it.

http://floacist.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/the-settlement-did-jackson-admit-to-any-wrongdoing/

The View's Whoopi Goldberg on Polanski: 'It Wasn't Rape-Rape' (video in link)

The View's Whoopi Goldberg yesterday offered the most outrageous and despicable defense of child rapist and Hollywood director Roman Polanski yet: "It wasn't rape-rape." That's right. Goldberg tried to claim that Polanksi drugging and having sex with a thirteen year old girl, who repeatedly uttered 'no' to the predator, does not qualify as 'actual' rape (video embedded below the fold).

Polanksi apologists have tried since he was arrested in Switzerland Sunday to excuse his actions on the grounds that he was traumatized by his horrible experiences as a Jew in Nazi-occupied Poland or that he has endured enough punishment since his conviction in 1978. But Goldberg's defense is so far the most insensitive, oafish attempt for an excuse yet.

I know it wasn't rape-rape... All I'm trying to get you to understand, is when we're talking about what someone did, and what they were charged with, we have to say what it actually was not what we think it was...

Initially he was charged with rape, and then he pled guilty to having sex with a minor, okay. And then he went to jail, and when they let him out, he said "you know what, this guy's going to give me a hundred years in jail, I'm not staying." And that's why he left...

What we were talking about was what he did, and that's what I wanted to clear up, and that's all I wanted to clear up. 'Cause I don't like it when we're passionate about something and we don't have all the facts...

We're a different kind of society. We see things differently. The world sees 13 year olds and 14 year olds in the rest of Europe... not everybody agrees with the way we see things...
Yes, Whoopi, let's talk about what actually happened, rather than "what we think it was". And who better to recount it than the victim herself. These are excepts from the grand jury testimony of Samantha Gailey. I warn you, her account is extremely graphic and disturbing, but it is important that we see just how horrible this event was if we are to understand the absurdity and utter crassness of Goldberg's comments.

Q: Did you take a quaalude?
A: I took part of it.
Q: Where did you get this part?
A: [Polanski] gave it to me.
[...]
Q: After he kissed you did he say anything?
A: No.
Q: Did you say anything?
A: No, besides I was just going, "No. Come on, let's go home."
Q: What was said after you indicated that you wanted to go home when you were sitting on the couch?
A: He said "I'll take you home soon."
Q: Then what happened?
A: Then he went down and he started performing cuddliness.
Q: What does that mean?
A: It means he went down on me or he placed his mouth on my vagina.
[...]
Q: What happened after that?
A: He started to have intercourse with me.
Q: What do you mean by intercourse?
A: He placed his penis in my vagina.
Q: What did you say, if anything, before he did that?
A: I was mostly just on and off saying, "No, stop." But I wasn't fighting really because I, you know, there was no one else there and I had no place to go.
Q: What did he say, if anything?
A: He didn't answer me when I said, "No."
[...]
A: I think he said something like right after I said I was not on the pill, right before he said, "Oh, I won't come inside of you then." And I just went--and he goes--and then he put me--wait. Then he lifted my legs up farther and he went in through my anus.
Q: When you say he went in your anus, what do you mean by that?
A: He put his penis in my butt.
Q: Did he say anything at that time?
A: No.
Q: Did you resist at that time?
A: A little bit, but not really because--(pause.)
Q: Because what?
A: Because I was afraid of him.
[...]
Q: Do you know what a climax is?
A: Yes.
Q: Do you know whether he had a climax?
Q: And how do you know that?
A: Because I could kind of feel it and it was in my underwear. It was in my underwear. It was on my butt and stuff.
Q: When you say that, you believe that he climaxed in your anus?
Is that a clear enough account of the facts, Whoopi? Does that satisfy your desire to know what "it actually was"? It was most definitely "rape-rape". It was a disgusting man drugging a young girl, and then forcing her to have sex with him even while she repeatedly said "no" and "stop". I've sat through enough college sexual assault information sessions to know that that is rape in every sense of the word.

Polanski was convicted of unlawful sex with a minor, but only because he struck a plea bargain in exchange for the dismissal of charges of rape, sodomy, molestation, and giving drugs to a minor. So if you want to know "what it actually was," it does little good to examine his conviction.

And yes, Polanski "left," as Goldberg so mildly phrased his fleeing from justice, when he realized that he could spend a long time in prison. Maybe Whoopi's right, that "not everyone agrees with the way we see things" in this country. That would certainly explain why so many are jumping to defend this convicted sexual predator and condemn those who seek his incarceration.

That others, say the French, may not agree with harsh punishment for Polanski does not change the fact that in the United States, we punish such atrocities perpetrated against children. Maybe Whoopi would be more at home in a country that does not, and that considers the drugging and forcible sexual penetration of a 13 year old girl something other than "rape-rape."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/lachla...s-whoopi-goldberg-polanski-it-wasnt-rape-rape

Back